Posted to austin.food,rec.food.drink.beer

Default Celis Grand Cru is Back

Not sure how long it's back in Austin, but the Grand Cru, now being
brewed by Michigan Brewing Company, is on the shelves at Hole Foods
and Grapevine (probably everywhere else, too).

I like it better than contributors to ratebeer.com like it. It's
not Duvel or Gulden Drak by any means, but it's tasty and
affordable. 8% ABV, $8.49/6-pack at WF. It's very light on any
citrus and spice. The only thing that's a slight drawback for me is
the waft of alcohol is stronger than any Belgians as they hide their
alcohol better.

I really don't know how it compares to the Austin Celis of 2001
since it's been so long.

Pale Bock and Raspberry have also made it to the shelves. Nyeh.

-sw
Posted to austin.food,rec.food.drink.beer

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 15:36:16 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Not sure how long it's back in Austin, but the Grand Cru, now being
> brewed by Michigan Brewing Company, is on the shelves at Hole Foods
> and Grapevine (probably everywhere else, too).

This is news and we care, why?

Posted to austin.food,rec.food.drink.beer

Sqwertz > wrote:
>I like it better than contributors to ratebeer.com like it. It's
>not Duvel or Gulden Drak by any means, but it's tasty and
>affordable. 8% ABV, $8.49/6-pack at WF. It's very light on any
>citrus and spice. The only thing that's a slight drawback for me is
>the waft of alcohol is stronger than any Belgians as they hide their
>alcohol better.
>
>I really don't know how it compares to the Austin Celis of 2001
>since it's been so long.

I don't think either the Wit or the Grand Cru are as good as
they were back in the Austin days. The originals had a nice
softness to them that the current versions lack. Dunno if it's
an issue of water, ingredients, or some magic touch that Celis
imparted to his (or his daughter's) brewing.
--
Joel Plutchak "Beer doesn't stain, if it's a light pilsner."
$LASTNAME at VERYWARMmail.com - Sheldon Miller

Michael Jackson and Pierre Celis on Beerpassion last weekend.. Filip Geerts Beer 2 01-07-2005 11:19 PM
Need Recipes for Grand-Son Veronica F. Recipes 0 04-09-2004 08:05 AM
Celis reappearance.... mpomario Beer 4 19-08-2004 07:00 AM
Grand Marnier Echo44 Baking 6 17-02-2004 10:11 AM