Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

Default Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale

With all of this "Imperial" beer talk lately I remembered that there
was still a bottle of Saison Imperiale Belgian Farmhouse Ale (from De
Proef Brouwerij in Lochristi, Belgium) in the back of my beer fridge.
I guess it is time to do inventory again to figure out what else is
back there. As soon as I pulled the bottle to bring it to proper
serving temp I was mentally preparing that it is not going to be the
typical fluffy, slightly tart Saison. Being that it looked darker and
drops in at 8.5% abv were the first two precursors. Thanks to SBS-
Imports ( http://sbs-imports.com ) for the sample.

Crystal clear and bright orange amber color, thick bubbly frothy off-
white head leaves a crown of lace on the glass. Aromas of lemon grass,
turmeric, ripe melon, parsley, tart plum and musty hay. Alcohol is
quite noticeable in the nose. Big viscous smoothness and crispness
rolls slowly through the full body. A bit creamy and slick in the
mouth feel. Caramelized malt sugar, grainy horse feed like malt
flavor, earthy with a hint of mineral and salt and sweet cooked
veggies in the back. Alcohol is a bit flamboyant with fruity esters in
tow, ripe pineapple and papaya come to mind. A complex herbal phenolic
slowly peels away layers as it warms up a bit more with each sip.
Suggestions of pumpkin seeds, pepper corns and starchy plantains. A
little buttery, stripped hop character appear middle to end. Finishes
with a deep grassy grain flavor that runs semi-sweet.

A complex beer for the mature palate ... or simply an acquired taste.
Any true Belgian beer lover will appreciate if not have high regards
for this ale. Unlike all Saison I have ever tried, think one part
Saison plus one part Quad and this is what you will probably end up
with. I broke out a wedge of creamy Danish blue and fig spread with
the rest of the sample, with a beer like this blue is always a good
choice.

For more reviews:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3521/30286