Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

Default Mercury Brewing Company - Stone Cat I.P.A.

Sometimes local is where it is at, it not only helps you area economy
but in may ways it is more environmentally sound. Its also great to
support a local business, there is a sense of pride when you have a
fresh high quality product right in your back yard. Mercury Brewing
Company of Ipswich, MA is in my extended back yard. I pretty much
consider anything that is less than a two hour drive from Boston, MA
local, Mercury Brewing comes in at only 45 minutes away.

The Ipswich brand has been a long time favorite, especially the
Original Ale and Oatmeal Stout. These I frequent as often as possible
though one of their other brands that I always seem to overlook is
Stone Cat. The first time I had Stone Cat IPA it was owned by Modern
Brewer in Cambridge, MA by the brand name Fat Cat IPA and was sampled
several times at the 1998 Boston Brewers Festival mostly due to the
fact that the version back then was brewed with all Saaz hops. Very
experimental for 1998.

Pours out to yield a quick formed dense three fingers of foam, lacing
is amazing as it leaves rings all the way down the glass. Aromas of
peach and clementine with earthy minty hops and a faint biscuity malt.
Moderate body with a crisp and slick mouth feel. Slightly pungent hop
character with layers of citric rind, mint, wood, tobacco leaf and
earth. Quick kiss of alcohol. The mildly toasted grain flavor punches
through middle to end for a bit of balance but other than that it is
hops throughout. Finishes bitter and semi-dry.

Wow, I'm a bit surprised on how aggressive the hops are. Not
complaining at all as it is certainly enough to make a hophead happy.
Very tasty.

More reviews:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/162/339

More info: