Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

Default Miller Chill: a Beer for People Who Don't Like Beer

Miller Chill has reached fad status very quickly. Miller Brewing has
been banking on the Latino beer drinkers in the US to carry sales
along. Over two million cases have been sold with reportedly 50% of
sales coming from wine, spirits and other non-beer drinkers. While
sales are great now, there will be several if not a score of clones
from other brewers that will dilute earnings.

Miller Chill, a catchy name for the gullible consumer. What's the deal
with the green bottle? One Miller executive was quoted "The green
bottle signals it's a premium product.", you really love how they sell
this BS and the consumer just buys it up. Sad in so many ways. Blurbs
on the label are "Chelada Style", "Light Beer With Natural Flavor" and
"Inspired by a Mexican Recipe with Lime & Salt". Consumers have been
adding lime to their beer for a good while and for many different
reasons. Regardless, most loyal consumers of Mexican, Central and
South American brands would rather use a real lime rather than have
some sort of natural flavoring.

Enough of the bather, lets get to the meat and bones of this beer. A
quick decanting shows the obvious clarity of a light beer and the head
of one as well. Not much head retention at all but it was not
expected. Odd lime aroma, very similar to the natural agents added to
soda. There is even a salty note in the nose. First sip shows an
extremely thin body with a forced refreshing carbonation. The flavor
is the same as the aroma, soda-like lime flavor. Very little malt
character at all, hops are a no show and there is a mild salty tone
middle to end. Bone dry with a watery lime flavor in the finish.

Chalk this up at a border-line malternative, a beer for people that
don't like beer. It actually tastes like a really bad diet soda. Even
if this does stick around for more than several years and not deemed a
fad anymore it will simply live on as a sub-par product for the
ignorant uneducated consumer. Hell, with the amount of soda that is
sold in the US this one will probably be here for a long long time but
this will be the last visit here as this is a big fat thumbs down.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

What utter nonsense to say that Miller Brewing is making a beer for
people who don't like beer. That's like saying Toyota is successful
because they sell lots of cars to people who don't like them. Next
time please read what you are writing before pushing the send button.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

"John S." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> What utter nonsense to say that Miller Brewing is making a beer for
> people who don't like beer. That's like saying Toyota is successful
> because they sell lots of cars to people who don't like them. Next
> time please read what you are writing before pushing the send button.

The post is likely a literal copy & paste from a BA magazine article,
and BA is as much a vehicle for the Bros. A opinions as anything else.
--
dgs

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

Reminded me of a beer, or beverage that Pittsburgh Brewing made years
ago. It was called Hoppengator, a mix of Iron City Beer and Gatorade.
It didn't sell well in the home market, but it did sell well enough in
the South that they continued to make it for a couple years. Down in
Dixie they used it as a mixer, mostly Hoppengator and Vodka.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Aug 1, 4:24 pm, "dgs" > wrote:
> "John S." > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > What utter nonsense to say that Miller Brewing is making a beer for
> > people who don't like beer. That's like saying Toyota is successful
> > because they sell lots of cars to people who don't like them. Next
> > time please read what you are writing before pushing the send button.

> The post is likely a literal copy & paste from a BA magazine article,
> and BA is as much a vehicle for the Bros. A opinions as anything else.
> --
> dgs

Whether he is copying and pasting or composing on the fly is beside
the point that the subject is nonsense. Which makes me think the
entire article must be as well.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Aug 2, 12:09 pm, "John S." > wrote:
> On Aug 1, 4:24 pm, "dgs" > wrote:
>
> > "John S." > wrote in message

> oups.com...

> > > What utter nonsense to say that Miller Brewing is making a beer for
> > > people who don't like beer. That's like saying Toyota is successful
> > > because they sell lots of cars to people who don't like them. Next
> > > time please read what you are writing before pushing the send button

Well, sure, you could argue that if someone likes Chill, by default
they like beer because Chill is a beer. But I think the author
obviously meant Chill is targeted at people who don't like the taste
of beer in general, so it's a beer that tastes different than most
other beers.

And to argue with your analogy, I would say most people who buy
Toyotas in fact don't "like" cars, they're not car enthusiasts the way
people here are beer enthusiasts, they just see them as an appliance
to be used to get from Point A to Point B. Obviously they don't
"dislike" cars very much either, or they wouldn't own one, but unlike
beer, which is an optional purchase, a lot of people pretty much need
to have a car.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Aug 3, 9:41 am, Gains > wrote:
> On Aug 2, 12:09 pm, "John S." > wrote:
>
> > On Aug 1, 4:24 pm, "dgs" > wrote:

> > > "John S." > wrote in message

> > oups.com...

> Well, sure, you could argue that if someone likes Chill, by default
> they like beer because Chill is a beer. But I think the author
> obviously meant Chill is targeted at people who don't like the taste
> of beer in general, so it's a beer that tastes different than most
> other beers.
>
> And to argue with your analogy, I would say most people who buy
> Toyotas in fact don't "like" cars, they're not car enthusiasts the way
> people here are beer enthusiasts, they just see them as an appliance
> to be used to get from Point A to Point B.

Sorry, but the world of car owners isn't simply divided by aficionados
who are in love with their vehicles and appliance owners who are
indifferent. And I'm sure you know that.

> Obviously they don't
> "dislike" cars very much either, or they wouldn't own one, but unlike
> beer, which is an optional purchase, a lot of people pretty much need
> to have a car.

C'mon - The subject line written by Beer Advocate serves only to be
pointlessly agrumentative and tells the reader nothing about the beer
itself. Clearly Beer Advocate hasn't surveyed people who don't like
beer to ask whether they like this Miller Beer so on it's face it is
an inane statement. I've read other articles on the beer advocate
site and consider them to be well done and informative. Why he chose
to write an article in this tone is beyond me.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On 2007-08-03, John S. > wrote:

> an inane statement. I've read other articles on the beer advocate
> site and consider them to be well done and informative.

I have to agree. While I have little use for all their surveys and
reader ratings crap, some of the stuff they offer is great. The "Beer
....Civilization" series by Horst Dornbusch is one of the most
fascinating beer articles I've ever read. If BA never does another
thing, ever, that'll be enough to make its existence worthwhile.

nb
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Aug 3, 10:07 am, "John S." > wrote:
> On Aug 3, 9:41 am, Gains > wrote:

> > > oups.com...

> > Well, sure, you could argue that if someone likes Chill, by default
> > they like beer because Chill is a beer. But I think the author
> > obviously meant Chill is targeted at people who don't like the taste
> > of beer in general, so it's a beer that tastes different than most
> > other beers.

> > And to argue with your analogy, I would say most people who buy
> > Toyotas in fact don't "like" cars, they're not car enthusiasts the way
> > people here are beer enthusiasts, they just see them as an appliance
> > to be used to get from Point A to Point B.

> Sorry, but the world of car owners isn't simply divided by aficionados
> who are in love with their vehicles and appliance owners who are
> indifferent. And I'm sure you know that.
>
> > Obviously they don't
> > "dislike" cars very much either, or they wouldn't own one, but unlike
> > beer, which is an optional purchase, a lot of people pretty much need
> > to have a car.

> C'mon - The subject line written by Beer Advocate serves only to be
> pointlessly agrumentative and tells the reader nothing about the beer
> itself. Clearly Beer Advocate hasn't surveyed people who don't like
> beer to ask whether they like this Miller Beer so on it's face it is
> an inane statement. I've read other articles on the beer advocate
> site and consider them to be well done and informative. Why he chose
> to write an article in this tone is beyond me.- Hide quoted text -

Geeze, talk about "pointlessly agrumentative"! Give it a rest, John
S. (And let's be realistic -- people who like lime-flavored fizz,
with little malt and no hops, probably really don't like beer. So your
argument doesn't really make sense to begin with.)

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Aug 2, 8:44 am, tomkanpa > wrote:
> Reminded me of a beer, or beverage that Pittsburgh Brewing made years
> ago. It was called Hoppengator, a mix of Iron City Beer and Gatorade.
> It didn't sell well in the home market, but it did sell well enough in
> the South that they continued to make it for a couple years. Down in
> Dixie they used it as a mixer, mostly Hoppengator and Vodka.

Hey Tom - It reminded me of a soft drink to tell you the truth,
not
a beer, it's fer the aliens, I reckon, not me. Blue

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Aug 3, 10:07 pm, wrote:
> On Aug 3, 10:07 am, "John S." > wrote:

> > > Well, sure, you could argue that if someone likes Chill, by default
> > > they like beer because Chill is a beer. But I think the author
> > > obviously meant Chill is targeted at people who don't like the taste
> > > of beer in general, so it's a beer that tastes different than most
> > > other beers.

> > > And to argue with your analogy, I would say most people who buy
> > > Toyotas in fact don't "like" cars, they're not car enthusiasts the way
> > > people here are beer enthusiasts, they just see them as an appliance
> > > to be used to get from Point A to Point B.

> > Sorry, but the world of car owners isn't simply divided by aficionados
> > who are in love with their vehicles and appliance owners who are
> > indifferent. And I'm sure you know that.

> > > Obviously they don't
> > > "dislike" cars very much either, or they wouldn't own one, but unlike
> > > beer, which is an optional purchase, a lot of people pretty much need
> > > to have a car.

> > C'mon - The subject line written by Beer Advocate serves only to be
> > pointlessly agrumentative and tells the reader nothing about the beer
> > itself. Clearly Beer Advocate hasn't surveyed people who don't like
> > beer to ask whether they like this Miller Beer so on it's face it is
> > an inane statement. I've read other articles on the beer advocate
> > site and consider them to be well done and informative. Why he chose
> > to write an article in this tone is beyond me.- Hide quoted text -

> Geeze, talk about "pointlessly agrumentative"! Give it a rest, John
> S. (And let's be realistic -- people who like lime-flavored fizz,
> with little malt and no hops, probably really don't like beer. So your
> argument doesn't really make sense to begin with.)- Hide quoted text -

Beer Advocate clearly has the ability to write an interesting and
informative beer review or historical article. Why they chose to go
the argumentative route with this one is beyond me. Maybe they were
suffering from the stale beer tasting and wrote this as a way of
feeling better.