Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

Default To Kreusen or not...

Was it Old Style who used the marketing "ploy" of the word "Kreusened" in
their advertisments?

and was it FULLY kreusened or someting like double kreusened?

anyone, ...anyone?

ce

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

TechMyst wrote:
> Was it Old Style who used the marketing "ploy" of the word "Kreusened" in
> their advertisements?
>
> and was it FULLY kreusened or something like double kreusened?
>
> anyone, ...anyone?

Duquesne Beer (or Duke) used krausening as a selling point in ads in the
Pittsburgh area in the early '70s. I don't remember seeing it with other brands
back then.

Tom W
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

"TechMyst" > wrote in message
news
> Was it Old Style who used the marketing "ploy" of the word "Kreusened" in
> their advertisments?

Yes.

> and was it FULLY kreusened or someting like double kreusened?

I believe the line was "fully kreusened."

-Steve

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

TechMyst wrote:
> Was it Old Style who used the marketing "ploy" of the word "Kreusened" in
> their advertisments?

Well, Kraeusening is hardly a "marketing ploy" but a very traditional
brewing technique in which unfermented beer is added to lagered beer to
create a secondary fermentation that carbonates the beer (as opposed to
breweries which "artificially" carbonate by "collecting" the CO2 given
off during fermentation and injecting it back in at bottling time. I'm
still shocked at how many modern homebrewers artificially carbonate
their beers- back in my day natural carbonation [along with a layer of
yeast] was a mark of purity.)

Anheuser-Busch has used Kraeusening in their promo material:

"After the usual period of fermentation, Budweiser undergoes a second
fermentation. This is called Krausening, a process which "rounds out"
the flavor. You've heard other brewers talk about Krausening, and as
you've seen we've been Krausening out beer since 1876. But with one big
difference- Beechwood Aging!" ((You Can Tell a Beer by its Label-
Budweiser- 1970's)

In the Northeast, Schaefer and Genesee both advertised the fact they
were naturally carbonated-

"To the normal brewing process, Schaefer has added a unique step which
few other breweries practice on a similar scale. This step is the use
of the Kraeusen Process. This is a second fermentation carried out
under pressure and at low temperatures in our lagering tanks. A
calculated amount of young, vigorously fermenting beer is added to a
storage tank containing finished, fully fermented beer. This is a kind
of bulk champagne process which produces a fine bouquet, a better
blended flavor and a natural carbonation. We are proud of our Kraeusen
Process because of our success in being able to control it. Other
brewers have tried, but unless the process can be rigorously controlled,
an inferior beer will result.... We have determined through long and
careful testing, that even the highest quality beer, if not Kraeusened,
could not have the unique Schaefer quality." (The Story of Quality- All
About Schaefer Beer- 1974)

"We "Kraeusen" all our beers... a slow costly process whereby natural
carbonation is fermented into the beer for better head, better taste."
(Why Our One Brewery Makes in Best- Genesee 1978)

Some brewery (maybe one of the above, maybe not) used to define
"Krausening" as "Brewing Twice" but I can't recall which one now..

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

On Jun 30, 8:34 pm, "TechMyst" > wrote:
> Was it Old Style who used the marketing "ploy" of the word "Kreusened" in
> their advertisments?
>
> and was it FULLY kreusened or someting like double kreusened?
>
> anyone, ...anyone?
>
> ce

Old Style used the term "fully kraeusened" and it's now used by City
Brewery in La Crosse, same brewery site as the old G. Heileman HQ.
They also use the old Old Style yeast. http://www.citybrewery.com/

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMyst View Post
Was it Old Style who used the marketing "ploy" of the word "Kreusened" in
their advertisments?

and was it FULLY kreusened or someting like double kreusened?

anyone, ...anyone?

ce
Old Style now says "Authentically Kraeusened" on their cans. I don't know if they ever had something else on there before. It goes on to say that it is returning to the German tradition of kraeusening first used by G. Heileman in 1902 when he invented Old Style Beer. Tastes good.
2putt4par

Last edited by 2putt4par : 27-12-2009 at 09:07 PM Reason: typo