FoodBanter.com

-   -   Speaking of Chili, anybody got a Chili con Carne recipe featuring smoked brisket? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/99106-speaking-chili-anybody-got.html)

Chef Juke 18-08-2006 04:47 PM

Speaking of Chili, anybody got a Chili con Carne recipe featuring smoked brisket?

Well???

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Pete C. 18-08-2006 05:47 PM

Chef Juke wrote:

> Well???
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

I don't really have a recipe for it, but I make it periodically for a
quick meal.

I typically smoke a big honkin' brisket and then portion, vac bag and
freeze it for future use so I normally have smoked brisket on hand.

I typically dump a small can of crushed tomatoes into a saucepan, add
chili powder and cumin and heat it for a few min while I semi-defrost
the brisket and chop it up a bit. Dump the chopped brisket in and
continue heating until it's sufficiently hot. Certainly not a fancy
competition chili, but it normally comes out quite good.

Pete C.

Jeff Edwards 18-08-2006 06:43 PM

Speaking of Chili, anybody got a Chili con Carne recipe featuring smoked brisket?

"Pete C." > wrote in news:44E5EF34.3A901A57
@snet.net:

> Chef Juke wrote:
>>
>> Well???
>>
>> -Chef Juke
>> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

> I don't really have a recipe for it, but I make it periodically for a
> quick meal.
>
> I typically smoke a big honkin' brisket and then portion, vac bag and
> freeze it for future use so I normally have smoked brisket on hand.
>
> I typically dump a small can of crushed tomatoes into a saucepan, add
> chili powder and cumin and heat it for a few min while I semi-defrost
> the brisket and chop it up a bit. Dump the chopped brisket in and
> continue heating until it's sufficiently hot. Certainly not a fancy
> competition chili, but it normally comes out quite good.

I would say pretty much any chili made with smoked brisket will be
better than the original. I sort of do the same thing Pete mentions -
just sort of wing it and do it by feel. I like to add specific chile
powders to taste rather than the blended chili powder, plus onions,
green chiles (hatch if possible), garlic and a few other things. A
couple of bottles of Shiner Bock give it a nice touch as well.

The one thing I would say above all else - NO BEANS.

-Jeff

Jason Tinling 18-08-2006 07:00 PM

Chef Juke wrote:
> Well???
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Assorted chiles (pasilla, poblano, serrano, jalapeno), seeded and
chopped
Large yellow onion
Dried chile (New Mexico, California)
Cumin
Garlic - clove and granulated
Liquid (water, beef broth, beer)
Smoked brisket/bark/burnt ends - rough chopped

If you must -
1 can peeled tomatoes

Never -
Beans of any kind

Chop chiles and throw in heated pan with some olive oil. Cook until
beginning to soften. Add chopped onions and garlic cloves. Cook on
med-low temp until onions get near see-through.

Add dry spices and cook for an additional couple of minutes. Add
cooked ingredients and enough liquid to a blender (or use an immersion)
to whizz into something resembling moderately chunky salsa. If using
tomatoes, crush by hand (over pan) and add in with liquid. Simmer a
couple minutes, then add chile mixture to pan. Taste and season as
needed.

Add liquid and simmmer for an hour or so. Add meat and more liquid, if
needed. Simmer another hour or two. Re-season at end, if needed.

Enjoy with a slathered up square(or 2) of Yankee Cornbread, and a bit
of grated sharp cheddar on top.