Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bh bh is offline

Default Baffle

Hey all.

I'm new to the group and new to grilling with wood. Just bought a NB
Longhorn Deluxe and have done a few briskets on and chickens. It appears
that it gets way to hot right next to the firebox. I mean the flames are
coming right in. I'd like to weld a baffle of some sort over the opening.
Maybe just a horizontal plate extending under grills about 6", maybe with a
lip.

Has anyone else had to do the same? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback.

Bill

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bh" > wrote in message
m...
> Hey all.
>
> I'm new to the group and new to grilling with wood. Just bought a NB
> Longhorn Deluxe and have done a few briskets on and chickens. It appears
> that it gets way to hot right next to the firebox. I mean the flames are
> coming right in. I'd like to weld a baffle of some sort over the opening.
> Maybe just a horizontal plate extending under grills about 6", maybe with
> a lip.
>
> Has anyone else had to do the same? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Bill

A baffle will certainly help. Here are a few links to the mods I made on my
Silver Smoker.

http://www.geocities.com/reid_home15...ing/baffle.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/reid_home15...king/brick.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/reid_home15...ng/chimney.jpg

--
Al Reid

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bh bh is offline

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking.
Bill

"Al Reid" > wrote in message
> "bh" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Hey all.
>>
>> I'm new to the group and new to grilling with wood. Just bought a NB
>> Longhorn Deluxe and have done a few briskets on and chickens. It appears
>> that it gets way to hot right next to the firebox. I mean the flames are
>> coming right in. I'd like to weld a baffle of some sort over the
>> opening. Maybe just a horizontal plate extending under grills about 6",
>> maybe with a lip.
>>
>> Has anyone else had to do the same? Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> A baffle will certainly help. Here are a few links to the mods I made on
> my Silver Smoker.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/reid_home15...ing/baffle.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/reid_home15...king/brick.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/reid_home15...ng/chimney.jpg
>
> --
> Al Reid

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article <RU5Cg.4908$1i.800@trndny08>, Al Reid
> wrote:

> A baffle will certainly help. Here are a few links to the mods I made on my
> Silver Smoker.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/reid_home15...ing/baffle.jpg

Al's baffle is almost exactly what I did with my NB: bent a piece of
food service grade stainless sheet (just some scrap I had), and used
the firebox bolts to hold it in place. The size and shape are pretty
much the same as Al's.

It does a great job of shielding the meat from direct radiant heat. The
key is to make sure the meat can't "see" the fi there's no direct
line between them.

My next mod is going to be adding some thermal mass to the cooking
chamber like Al's bricks. I also plan to insulate the firebox. Nothing
major, just maybe some castable refractory to form a level bottom.

When I move to New Hampshire in a couple of years, I'll be wrapping
that whole sucker in Kaowool!

Kevin
--
http://www.freestateproject.org
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Al Reid" > wrote:
> "bh" > wrote in message

> > Hey all.
> >
> > I'm new to the group and new to grilling with wood. Just bought a NB
> > Longhorn Deluxe and have done a few briskets on and chickens. It
> > appears that it gets way to hot right next to the firebox. I mean the
> > flames are coming right in. I'd like to weld a baffle of some sort
> > over the opening. Maybe just a horizontal plate extending under grills
> > about 6", maybe with a lip.
> >
> > Has anyone else had to do the same? Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback.
> >

> A baffle will certainly help. Here are a few links to the mods I made on
> my Silver Smoker.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/reid_home15...ing/baffle.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/reid_home15...king/brick.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/reid_home15...ng/chimney.jpg

Hey Al, Thanks for those! I have an NB Cattleman, where the chimbley is on
the side, but a stove pipe right angle should take care of that!

~Semper Fi~