FoodBanter.com

-   -   making wood chips (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/98167-making-wood-chips.html)

hankus 08-08-2006 07:11 PM

making wood chips

An arborist neighbor has given me some pieces of pecan and promises as much
as I wish.I want to make chips rather than buying chips.
1) How old since being cut should wood chips be?
2)Size?
3)bark on/off?
4)presoak? Seems to me that if the wood is fresh this won't be necessary
--
Thanks
Hank

Glenn[_1_] 08-08-2006 08:25 PM

making wood chips

age it for 1 year (to dry it out) No bark. Bark makes the food bitter.
You don't need chips, Just use small pieces. If you age it
, you will need to soak it.

Edwin Pawlowski 09-08-2006 02:54 AM

making wood chips

"hankus" > wrote in message
> 1) How old since being cut should wood chips be?

At least a half hour. Once cut up, it dries out fast.

> 2)Size?

I make chunks off of the bandsaw. Better than chips.

> 3)bark on/off?

Mostly off, but don't get anal on the thin bark of branches. I don't even
try to take that off.

> 4)presoak? Seems to me that if the wood is fresh this won't be necessary

Only needed with chips. Chunks burn much longer.

[email protected] 09-08-2006 03:29 AM

making wood chips

In alt.food.barbecue, hankus > wrote:
> 2)Size?

Don't use chips. They either smolder and form creosote, or burn fast.

Use golf-ball sized chunks, or bigger.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow

OL'Hippie 09-08-2006 08:57 AM

making wood chips

hankus wrote:

I use Pecan too when I get it, good stuff Maynard!!
No Bark...Fist size down to golfball size would be great. Try it on
fish.......mmmm

Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Nuts 11-08-2006 09:41 PM

making wood chips