Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default America's Test Kitchen: Pulled Pork!

Exciting new show entitled "BBQ Pulled Pork" on ATK.

It opens with the line "On today's show we'll show you
how to make authentic grilled pulled pork. The secret
is to use both the grill *and* the oven".

<sigh>

Whenever someone says something like "I saw this on
America's Test Kitchen" as if they were some sort of
authority, I just have to laugh.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:

> Exciting new show entitled "BBQ Pulled Pork" on ATK.
>
> It opens with the line "On today's show we'll show you
> how to make authentic grilled pulled pork. The secret
> is to use both the grill and the oven".
>
> <sigh>
>
> Whenever someone says something like "I saw this on
> America's Test Kitchen" as if they were some sort of
> authority, I just have to laugh.

Actually, it wasn't that bad. They started in a kettle grill using a
charcoal fire set up for indirect heat, with smokewood chunks. They
cook in there for three hours then put it in a relatively high oven to
finish for another few hours.

For the home user without a dedicated rig, this is a fairly practical
recipe. I've Q'd butts completely on the Weber, it can be done, but
it's a chore. I'll bet the result here was pretty good when you get
done to it.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default User wrote:

> Actually, it wasn't that bad. They started in a kettle grill using a
> charcoal fire set up for indirect heat, with smokewood chunks. They
> cook in there for three hours then put it in a relatively high oven to
> finish for another few hours.
>
> For the home user without a dedicated rig, this is a fairly practical
> recipe. I've Q'd butts completely on the Weber, it can be done, but
> it's a chore. I'll bet the result here was pretty good when you get
> done to it.

You left out the fact that they cooked it in a
pan on the weber. They then foiled the whole thing
and put it in the oven to give the meat that nice
"steamed" texture, as they put it.

No, the results weren't good.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:

> Default User wrote:
>
> > Actually, it wasn't that bad. They started in a kettle grill using a
> > charcoal fire set up for indirect heat, with smokewood chunks. They
> > cook in there for three hours then put it in a relatively high oven
> > to finish for another few hours.
> >
> > For the home user without a dedicated rig, this is a fairly
> > practical recipe. I've Q'd butts completely on the Weber, it can be
> > done, but it's a chore. I'll bet the result here was pretty good
> > when you get done to it.

> You left out the fact that they cooked it in a
> pan on the weber.

I agree that that was probably a poorer choice. Yes, it makes it easy
to move and
They then foiled the whole thing
> and put it in the oven to give the meat that nice
> "steamed" texture, as they put it.

They didn't wrap it in foil, they tented the pan. There's quite a bit
of difference in results. Yeah, you get more braising than out on the
smoker, but that's part of how they got it done in some sort of
reasonable fashion.

> No, the results weren't good.

Well, you doubt the results were good, as I assume you didn't try it.
Looked pretty reasonable to me.

I've done pulled pork completely in the oven. It's not going to the
same as that done on the WSM, or Weber full cook, but as a compromise
for the amateur, I really can't get to preturbed with them.

Beats the heck out of guy who was supposed to be a NC BBQ expert. His
recipe was to cook it in the oven for hours, cut it into chunks, then
grill the chunks. Now that was disappointing.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Reg wrote:
>
>>No, the results weren't good.

> Well, you doubt the results were good, as I assume you didn't try it.
> Looked pretty reasonable to me.

I have indeed eaten what they made on that show: Pork
butt cooked in a foil covered pan. I don't agree that cooking
in a foil covered pan mitigates the steaming effect. Same
result as wrapping. Doing the intial cook in a pan makes
it all even worse.

> I've done pulled pork completely in the oven. It's not going to the
> same as that done on the WSM, or Weber full cook, but as a compromise
> for the amateur, I really can't get to preturbed with them.

Fair enough. But. It would be one thing if they did
or said something to indicate that on the show. "Caution:
This method makes serious compromises for the sake of
convenience".

That's at the heart of my compliant here. "Test" kitchens,
eh? As if their minions have slaved away for hours coming
up with the very best recipe. They didn't even do the
minimal research required to get the terminology right.

So many people view that show as if the recipes are somehow
the "ultimate" in their respective categories. What a joke.
They're a bunch of hack cooks who specialize in marketing.

> Beats the heck out of guy who was supposed to be a NC BBQ expert. His
> recipe was to cook it in the oven for hours, cut it into chunks, then
> grill the chunks. Now that was disappointing.

I can imagine.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:

> I have indeed eaten what they made on that show: Pork
> butt cooked in a foil covered pan. I don't agree that cooking
> in a foil covered pan mitigates the steaming effect. Same
> result as wrapping. Doing the intial cook in a pan makes
> it all even worse.

I certainly understand where you're coming from. If it was Raichlen
doing it on BBQ U, then I'd be pretty outraged. For what it was, I
wasn't too bent out of shape. I do agree they could have done a little
better even within the bounds of something fairly easy and not too
lengthy for the home cook.

Don't mind me, I'm just testy. Power's still out and it's 100F today. I
don't think the house will be habitable tonight, I may have to sleep
here at the office. Storms suck.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Default User" > wrote in message
> I've done pulled pork completely in the oven. It's not going to the
> same as that done on the WSM, or Weber full cook, but as a compromise
> for the amateur, I really can't get to preturbed with them.

Sure you can. They lied. They said it was going to be "authentic" pulled
pork. They perpetrated a fraud and you bought into it. Had they said it
was a good facsimile, or was a good substitute, you may be right. But
authentic and ovens are not in the same sentence. Not in the same book. If
you accepts watered down definitions, you will accept less than good food,
less than good anything.

Give me your $100 bills, and like an authentic bank I'll show you how to
make thim into eoght $10 bills. Still with me?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> > I've done pulled pork completely in the oven. It's not going to the
> > same as that done on the WSM, or Weber full cook, but as a compromise
> > for the amateur, I really can't get to preturbed with them.

> Sure you can. They lied. They said it was going to be "authentic" pulled
> pork.

You conveniently left out the word "grilled". As in "authentic grilled
pulled pork"
Where's the lie? It seems they made exactly what they said they would.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Hairy" > wrote in message

>> Sure you can. They lied. They said it was going to be "authentic" pulled
>> pork.

> You conveniently left out the word "grilled". As in "authentic grilled
> pulled pork"
> Where's the lie? It seems they made exactly what they said they would.

Yes, them made authentic artificial pulled pork. Real pulled pork is not
grilled, nor does it go into an oven. This is faux pulled pork. But don't
let me stop you if you enjoy Harvest burgers too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 03:28:54 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Hairy" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Sure you can. They lied. They said it was going to be "authentic" pulled
>>> pork.

>> You conveniently left out the word "grilled". As in "authentic grilled
>> pulled pork"
>> Where's the lie? It seems they made exactly what they said they would.
>>

>Yes, them made authentic artificial pulled pork. Real pulled pork is not
>grilled, nor does it go into an oven. This is faux pulled pork. But don't
>let me stop you if you enjoy Harvest burgers too.

Pulled pork may not be finished in the oven, but Robb Walsh in 'Legends
of Texas Barbeque' allows that the New Zion Church makes mighty fine
ribs and they hold their ribs in a closed ice chest to finish them off.
His recipe based on theirs calls on hot basting at the end, wrapping in
foil, and letting them braise for 1/2 hour for 3-1/2s and an hour,
either in the smoker or oven, for 4 and ups.

Even Harley Goerlitz's recipe for pork shoulder calls for a water pan
and frequent mopping. Sounds awfully close to braising/steaming to me.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Robert Klute" > wrote in message

> Pulled pork may not be finished in the oven, but Robb Walsh in 'Legends
> of Texas Barbeque' allows that the New Zion Church makes mighty fine
> ribs and they hold their ribs in a closed ice chest to finish them off.
> His recipe based on theirs calls on hot basting at the end, wrapping in
> foil, and letting them braise for 1/2 hour for 3-1/2s and an hour,
> either in the smoker or oven, for 4 and ups.
>
> Even Harley Goerlitz's recipe for pork shoulder calls for a water pan
> and frequent mopping. Sounds awfully close to braising/steaming to me.

There are lots of good foods made by non-traditional or alternative methods.
But when a Authorative institution uses the word "authentic", it should be.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hairy wrote:

> You conveniently left out the word "grilled". As in "authentic grilled
> pulled pork"
> Where's the lie? It seems they made exactly what they said they would.

You should watch the show before you chime in with stuff like this.
You're talking though your hat.

They went back and forth calling it both grilled and BBQ, which
makes it even weirder and them even more ignorant.

ATK, Ace Cooking Show.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
. com...
> Hairy wrote:
>
> > You conveniently left out the word "grilled". As in "authentic grilled
> > pulled pork"
> > Where's the lie? It seems they made exactly what they said they would.

> You should watch the show before you chime in with stuff like this.
> You're talking though your hat.

Well, since what I quoted came from your post, I guess we are both talking
through our hats.
No, I haven't seen the show. I'm just responding to what's been written in
this thread.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hairy wrote:

> Well, since what I quoted came from your post, I guess we are both talking
> through our hats.

No, just you. There's no such thing as "authentic grilled pulled
pork", for one thing.

*Duh*

> No, I haven't seen the show.

That's apparent.

> I'm just responding to what's been written in
> this thread.

And I appreciate the effort. Much entertainment value.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
. com...
> Hairy wrote:
>
> > Well, since what I quoted came from your post, I guess we are both

talking
> > through our hats.

> No, just you. There's no such thing as "authentic grilled pulled
> pork", for one thing.
>
> *Duh*
>
> > No, I haven't seen the show.

> That's apparent.
>
> > I'm just responding to what's been written in
> > this thread.

> And I appreciate the effort. Much entertainment value.

Heh....small minds are easily amused.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Hairy" > wrote:

> pulled
> > >
> > > You conveniently left out the word "grilled". As in "authentic
> > > grilled pulled pork"
> > > Where's the lie? It seems they made exactly what they said they
> > > would.
> > >

> > Yes, them made authentic artificial pulled pork. Real pulled pork is
> > not grilled, nor does it go into an oven. This is faux pulled pork.
> > But

> don't
> > let me stop you if you enjoy Harvest burgers too.

> Sorry, wrong again. "pulled" describes the way the meat is served. Has
> nothing to do with the way it's cooked.
> Harvest burgers?? Never heard of them. Are they any good?

Real, aka Traditional, Pulled Pork is smoked with real hardwood charcoal
lumps and hardwood logs, chips or chunks. Are you just trolling, Hairy?

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

"Robert Klute" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 03:28:54 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:

>>> You conveniently left out the word "grilled". As in "authentic grilled
>>> pulled pork"
>>> Where's the lie? It seems they made exactly what they said they would.
>>>

>>Yes, them made authentic artificial pulled pork. Real pulled pork is not
>>grilled, nor does it go into an oven. This is faux pulled pork. But
>>don't
>>let me stop you if you enjoy Harvest burgers too.

> Pulled pork may not be finished in the oven, but Robb Walsh in 'Legends
> of Texas Barbeque' allows that the New Zion Church makes mighty fine
> ribs and they hold their ribs in a closed ice chest to finish them off.
> His recipe based on theirs calls on hot basting at the end, wrapping in
> foil, and letting them braise for 1/2 hour for 3-1/2s and an hour,
> either in the smoker or oven, for 4 and ups.
>
> Even Harley Goerlitz's recipe for pork shoulder calls for a water pan
> and frequent mopping. Sounds awfully close to braising/steaming to me.

You can make a damn fine slow roasted pork shoulder in an oven - which is
what I used to do before I got a smoker (and inf act is the dish that got me
interested in low 'n slow in the first place...)

You need a big shoulder - about 15lbs or so at least (I think the cut is
also different here in the UK from the US)
Rub as you would for pulled pork, then put it skin side up into a big
roasting pan and throw it into a really hot oven for 30 mins.
Then just turn the oven down as low as it will go, crack the door very
slightly and leave it for 24 hours. Yup - 24.

This has the benefit of making the house smell great as well.

It pulls just like pulled pork, but isn't smoky. Good stuff nonetheless. I
used to have friends request it in advance if they knew they were coming
over for Sunday lunch. Of course, once I got the smoker, they all switched
allegiance to that. And my brisket as well....

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Hairy > wrote:

> You conveniently left out the word "grilled". As in "authentic grilled
> pulled pork"
> Where's the lie? It seems they made exactly what they said they would.

Is that anything like authentic Herkimer "Diamonds"?

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

adm wrote:
> You can make a damn fine slow roasted pork shoulder in an oven - which is
> what I used to do before I got a smoker (and inf act is the dish that got me
> interested in low 'n slow in the first place...)

Nothing wrong with roast pork at all. Before I got a smoker I would
roast a picnic all day at 275 until it was falling apart. That's good
food. It will pull apart but it's not barbecue. On the plus side you
can make gravy. Pork gravy on roast potatoes, mmm.

Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>This is faux pulled pork. But don't
>let me stop you if you enjoy Harvest burgers too.

Nothing wrong with Harvest burgers -- except pretending that they're a
burger. I'll never understand why the people marketing such things
ever tried to imply that a veggie burger was anything other than a
tasty vegetarian grilled sandwich. Why disappoint by trying to make it
a burger substitute?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
. com...
> Hairy wrote:
>
> They went back and forth calling it both grilled and BBQ, which
> makes it even weirder and them even more ignorant.

Hey, we should cut those folks some slack...remember that they're from New
England. For New England cooks I thought it was a pretty good try.
Certainly it was better than the 'pulled chicken' they did recently.

Bill (whose wife learned to cook in New England, but is recovering nicely!)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Kevin S. Wilson > wrote:

> Nothing wrong with Harvest burgers -- except pretending that they're a
> burger. I'll never understand why the people marketing such things
> ever tried to imply that a veggie burger was anything other than a
> tasty vegetarian grilled sandwich. Why disappoint by trying to make it
> a burger substitute?

I agree. And the same phenomenon happens all the time in the context of
weight-loss dieting. People put crappy tasting butter substitutes all
over everything, instead of just eating delicious low-cal foods, like
fruit. Minute Rice with "I Can't Believe its Not Butter"? Gimme a break.
Just make some brown basmati rice and eat it plain.

Why the heck do folks eat crap which suppsedly substitutes for bad food,
instead of eating delicious helthy food?

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Bill Beeman > wrote:

> Hey, we should cut those folks some slack...remember that they're from New
> England. For New England cooks I thought it was a pretty good try.
> Certainly it was better than the 'pulled chicken' they did recently.

I grew up near the Canadian Border. I'll put my Q up against anyone's
anytime. From what I tasted in Memphis and KC, good Q is just as rare in
the south as anywhere else, and just as common in yankee territory as
anywhere else.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Why the heck do folks eat crap which suppsedly substitutes for bad food,
> instead of eating delicious helthy food?

Because most people have no idea what healthy food is and just eat
whatever is being hyped as "healthy". I also wouldn't eat that basmati
rice plain / dry when there are hundreds of healthy additions you can
make to spice and juice it up a bit without butter / oil / etc.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Pete C. > wrote:

> Because most people have no idea what healthy food is and just eat
> whatever is being hyped as "healthy". I also wouldn't eat that basmati
> rice plain / dry when there are hundreds of healthy additions you can
> make to spice and juice it up a bit without butter / oil / etc.

Personally, I make a mixture of 2 parts brown rice, 1 part hard red winter
wheat, 1/2 part red rice and 1/2 part whole oats, with a bit of salt, and
it is delicious. My kids don't even realize that most folks put butter or
other glop on rice. Same with fresh veggies. Ignorance is bliss...

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:47:57 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:57:03 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 03:28:54 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>This is faux pulled pork. But don't
>>>let me stop you if you enjoy Harvest burgers too.

>> Nothing wrong with Harvest burgers -- except pretending that they're a
>> burger.

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger
>"A burger or 'burger sandwich' is a type of sandwich which
>consists of a hamburger bun or similar type of round bread, and a
>primary filling of a meat or vegetarian patty."

Dance, monkey, dance.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> "Hairy" > wrote:

> > talking
> > >
> > > No, just you. There's no such thing as "authentic grilled pulled
> > > pork", for one thing.
> > >
> > > *Duh*

> > > That's apparent.

> > > And I appreciate the effort. Much entertainment value.

> > Heh....small minds are easily amused.

> Mine must be even smaller,

Who am I to argue with the obvious?

as you bore me.

An obvious lie, since you took the trouble to reply.

I'll send you to join Kent,

Actually, you won't be 'sending me' anywhere, but I suppose putting it that
way gives you some feeling of power.

> PLONK!

I'll bet you just flushed with self-importance as you typed that!
What a Man!!
From one post, I've deduced that you are a small-minded liar that craves
the feeling of having power over others. Oh, well, keep trying...

Sherlock

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

> Processes, implements and even ingredients are substituted in cooking
> all the time, depending on what people have at hand. I doubt that
> America's Test Kitchen claimed their adaptation to be authentic.

You mean other than the fact that they labeled the
recipe "BBQ"?

Now I know to ignore your posts.

--
Reg