Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smoking Salmon

Hey all,
I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
their advise on their bullet site.
I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky. Last
time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs. Smoked it
over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no sugar
taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the salmon I
find in those small packages from Alaska.
Does anyone have any advise?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tmfast wrote:
> Hey all,
> I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
> vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
> their advise on their bullet site.
> I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
> lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky. Last
> time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs. Smoked it
> over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no sugar
> taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the salmon I
> find in those small packages from Alaska.
> Does anyone have any advise?

I used the brown sugar cure on the bullet site and it was terrific. Only
I was out of space on my bullet so I cooked it on the top rack of a gas
grill with some foiled chips. It was delicious and cooked probably
quicker because of the direct heat... you need to throughly wash the
salt cure from the fillet very well before you proceed with the final spice.

For the type of salmon you want you may want to search for hot smoked
salmon recipe.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+salmon+recipe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I've experimented with several different ways of smoking salmon and this is
the one we like the best.

Rub a light layer of olive oil on the meat side of the salmon and place the
filet scale side down onto a piece of aluminum foil. Then kosher salt and
fresh ground pepper to taste, about a tablespoon of old bay seasoning and
pinch of garlic powder. Smoke over the wood of your choice (for salmon we
usually use alder, apple and sometime mesquite) for about an hour or so
until the salmon begins to flake with a fork.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tmfast" > wrote in message
> Hey all,
> I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
> vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
> their advise on their bullet site.
> I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
> lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky.
> Last time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs.
> Smoked it over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no
> sugar taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the
> salmon I find in those small packages from Alaska.
> Does anyone have any advise?

Rather than brine curing, try a "dry rub" with salt, sugar and whatever
seasonings you want. Dill, as with gravlax, marries particularly well with
salmon. Cure this, wrapped in saran, for 2-3 days in the frig. and then
smoke at a very low temp. If I do brine, I do it only for 15 minutes.
Hope this helps.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Jul-2006, Sonoran Dude > wrote:

> tmfast wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
> > vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
> > their advise on their bullet site.
> > I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
> >
> > lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky.
> > Last
> > time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs. Smoked
> > it
> > over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no sugar
> > taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the salmon
> > find in those small packages from Alaska.
> > Does anyone have any advise?
> >

> I used the brown sugar cure on the bullet site and it was terrific. Only
> I was out of space on my bullet so I cooked it on the top rack of a gas
> grill with some foiled chips. It was delicious and cooked probably
> quicker because of the direct heat... you need to throughly wash the
> salt cure from the fillet very well before you proceed with the final
> spice.
>
> For the type of salmon you want you may want to search for hot smoked
> salmon recipe.

"Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison contains 5 recipes for smoked
salmon. You can get a copy from "Amazon" without leaving your house. List
price is $32.95. It's a good addition to anyone's bookshelf.

--
Brick(Found a motor..Trying to get it started.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, tmfast > wrote:
> Hey all,
> I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
> vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
> their advise on their bullet site.
> I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
> lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal,

What kind of charcoal do you use? To me, using good quality lump, "Tastes
like charcoal" means "tastes like it was cooked over hardwood embers",
which is a good thing.

One thing to try is to use lots more alder. Put a layer of lump in your
chimney, fill it mostly with alder chunks, and top it off with more
charcoal. Light it up, and when the alder is coated with red-hot coals,
dump it in the firebox. The inside of the alder will still be solid wood,
but you will not get a lot of crosote, because the hot gases will ignite
when they pass through the burning outside part. Instead, you will get a
delicious alder flavor.

not that smoky. Last
> time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs. Smoked it
> over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no sugar
> taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the salmon I
> find in those small packages from Alaska.
> Does anyone have any advise?

You could always skip the brine. It is necessary for cold smoking, but
not for hot smoking. Be sure the surface is dry. If there is a layer of
water covering the meat, it makes it harder for the smoke to penetrate.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thank you all,
I will try some of these tips next time.
> wrote in message
> In alt.food.barbecue, tmfast > wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
>> vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
>> their advise on their bullet site.
>> I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
>> lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal,

> What kind of charcoal do you use? To me, using good quality lump, "Tastes
> like charcoal" means "tastes like it was cooked over hardwood embers",
> which is a good thing.
>
> One thing to try is to use lots more alder. Put a layer of lump in your
> chimney, fill it mostly with alder chunks, and top it off with more
> charcoal. Light it up, and when the alder is coated with red-hot coals,
> dump it in the firebox. The inside of the alder will still be solid wood,
> but you will not get a lot of crosote, because the hot gases will ignite
> when they pass through the burning outside part. Instead, you will get a
> delicious alder flavor.
>

> not that smoky. Last
>> time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs. Smoked
>> it
>> over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no sugar
>> taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the salmon I
>> find in those small packages from Alaska.
>> Does anyone have any advise?

> You could always skip the brine. It is necessary for cold smoking, but
> not for hot smoking. Be sure the surface is dry. If there is a layer of
> water covering the meat, it makes it harder for the smoke to penetrate.
>
> --
> A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
> --Edward R. Murrow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Do you want Hot or Cold smoked salmon?

"tmfast" > wrote in message
> Thank you all,
> I will try some of these tips next time.
> > wrote in message
>> In alt.food.barbecue, tmfast > wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>> I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
>>> vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
>>> their advise on their bullet site.
>>> I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
>>> lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal,

>> What kind of charcoal do you use? To me, using good quality lump,
>> "Tastes
>> like charcoal" means "tastes like it was cooked over hardwood embers",
>> which is a good thing.
>>
>> One thing to try is to use lots more alder. Put a layer of lump in your
>> chimney, fill it mostly with alder chunks, and top it off with more
>> charcoal. Light it up, and when the alder is coated with red-hot coals,
>> dump it in the firebox. The inside of the alder will still be solid
>> wood,
>> but you will not get a lot of crosote, because the hot gases will ignite
>> when they pass through the burning outside part. Instead, you will get a
>> delicious alder flavor.
>>

>> not that smoky. Last
>>> time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs. Smoked
>>> it
>>> over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no sugar
>>> taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the salmon
>>> find in those small packages from Alaska.
>>> Does anyone have any advise?

>> You could always skip the brine. It is necessary for cold smoking, but
>> not for hot smoking. Be sure the surface is dry. If there is a layer of
>> water covering the meat, it makes it harder for the smoke to penetrate.
>>
>> --
>> A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
>> --Edward R. Murrow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tmfast" > wrote in message
> Hey all,
> I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
> vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
> their advise on their bullet site.
> I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
> lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky.
> Last time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs.
> Smoked it over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no
> sugar taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the
> salmon I find in those small packages from Alaska.
> Does anyone have any advise?

I'm willing to bet that those 'small packages' are cold smoked and not hot
smoked like we do over burning embers of wood.

I rarely brine salmon anymore but instead just sprinkle black pepper, ground
chile, a little dill and a little salt and smoke it skin side down at about
250 or so until the fish is firm and the yellow oil puddles appear on the
surface. I think this takes just under an hour, but can't recall as my
brain becomes more feeble due to age and general mismanagement.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Jul-2006, "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

> "tmfast" > wrote in message
> > Hey all,
> > I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
> > vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
> > their advise on their bullet site.
> > I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
> > lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky.
> > Last time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs.
> > Smoked it over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is
> > no
> > sugar taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the
> > salmon I find in those small packages from Alaska.
> > Does anyone have any advise?
> >

> I'm willing to bet that those 'small packages' are cold smoked and not hot
>
> smoked like we do over burning embers of wood.
>
> I rarely brine salmon anymore but instead just sprinkle black pepper,
> ground
> chile, a little dill and a little salt and smoke it skin side down at
> about
> 250 or so until the fish is firm and the yellow oil puddles appear on the
> surface. I think this takes just under an hour, but can't recall as my
> brain becomes more feeble due to age and general mismanagement.
>
> Jack

A friend gave me one of those little packages of Alaskan smoked salmon.
It's dark red, but it don't look cooked. My friend has a son that lives in
AK.
He keeps sending stuff packed with dry ice even though his dad says to
stop it. The freight is something like US$50. I like salmon, but not that
well.

--
Brick(Found a motor..Trying to get it started.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>> >

>> Haha, Nick, pony up the extra dough and get the other 3 recipes

> Jackson! I've got over 750 recipes in my files already. I suppose a few
> more wouldn't be noticed.

Damn, brah, you could post up a cookbook yourself!

Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
.. .

> On 18-Jul-2006, "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>
>> "tmfast" > wrote in message
>> > Hey all,
>> > I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
>> > vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
>> > their advise on their bullet site.
>> > I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
>> > lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky.
>> > Last time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs.
>> > Smoked it over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is
>> > no
>> > sugar taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the
>> > salmon I find in those small packages from Alaska.
>> > Does anyone have any advise?
>> >

>> I'm willing to bet that those 'small packages' are cold smoked and not
>> hot
>>
>> smoked like we do over burning embers of wood.
>>
>> I rarely brine salmon anymore but instead just sprinkle black pepper,
>> ground
>> chile, a little dill and a little salt and smoke it skin side down at
>> about
>> 250 or so until the fish is firm and the yellow oil puddles appear on the
>> surface. I think this takes just under an hour, but can't recall as my
>> brain becomes more feeble due to age and general mismanagement.
>>
>> Jack

> A friend gave me one of those little packages of Alaskan smoked salmon.
> It's dark red, but it don't look cooked. My friend has a son that lives in
> AK.
> He keeps sending stuff packed with dry ice even though his dad says to
> stop it. The freight is something like US$50. I like salmon, but not that
> well.

Ouch, I used to buy tortillas from NM like that. Made do with the cards I
got here rather than pay FedEx!

Jack