Old 19-07-2006, 12:26 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smoking Salmon

wrote in message
"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

Haha, Nick, pony up the extra dough and get the other 3 recipes

Jackson! I've got over 750 recipes in my files already. I suppose a few
more wouldn't be noticed.

Damn, brah, you could post up a cookbook yourself!

Jack

Old 19-07-2006, 12:26 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote in message
.. .

On 18-Jul-2006, "Jack Schidt®" wrote:

"tmfast" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hey all,
I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
their advise on their bullet site.
I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky.
Last time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs.
Smoked it over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is
no
sugar taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the
salmon I find in those small packages from Alaska.
Does anyone have any advise?

I'm willing to bet that those 'small packages' are cold smoked and not
hot

smoked like we do over burning embers of wood.

I rarely brine salmon anymore but instead just sprinkle black pepper,
ground
chile, a little dill and a little salt and smoke it skin side down at
about
250 or so until the fish is firm and the yellow oil puddles appear on the
surface. I think this takes just under an hour, but can't recall as my
brain becomes more feeble due to age and general mismanagement.

Jack

A friend gave me one of those little packages of Alaskan smoked salmon.
It's dark red, but it don't look cooked. My friend has a son that lives in
AK.
He keeps sending stuff packed with dry ice even though his dad says to
stop it. The freight is something like US$50. I like salmon, but not that
well.

Ouch, I used to buy tortillas from NM like that. Made do with the cards I
got here rather than pay FedEx!

Jack