Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Best barbecue cookbook?

I just posted a similar query on alt.food.cooking about cooking and all like
"Joy of Cooking", a long way from barbecue. Many plunged in and shared what
they use, mostly "Joy of Cooking"
What is the best, most used book about all aspects of barbecue, grilling,
smoke cooking, smoking, barbecue sauce and all else?
I haven't found a good book that raises me from my naivety and ignorance
about certain aspects of this, as some believe.
I don't like Raichlen, nor Jsmes Beard. Believe it or not Beard wrote a
fairly extensive book about barbecue. I doubt that he entered the patio,
other than to stare. The small paperback from the California Culinary
Academy in San Francisco is a good practival guide. BBQguy likes Dr. BBQ's
Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook: A Real Barbecue Champion Brings the Tasty
Recipes and Juicy Stories of the Barbecue Circuit to Your Backyard
(Paperback) by Ray Lampe and other books by the same author.
What do all of you like? I need help, as some of you have said.
With humility and thanks,
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:25:31 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>I just posted a similar query on alt.food.cooking about cooking and all like
>"Joy of Cooking", a long way from barbecue. Many plunged in and shared what
>they use, mostly "Joy of Cooking"
>What is the best, most used book about all aspects of barbecue, grilling,
>smoke cooking, smoking, barbecue sauce and all else?
>I haven't found a good book that raises me from my naivety and ignorance
>about certain aspects of this, as some believe.
>I don't like Raichlen, nor Jsmes Beard. Believe it or not Beard wrote a
>fairly extensive book about barbecue. I doubt that he entered the patio,
>other than to stare. The small paperback from the California Culinary
>Academy in San Francisco is a good practival guide. BBQguy likes Dr. BBQ's
>Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook: A Real Barbecue Champion Brings the Tasty
>Recipes and Juicy Stories of the Barbecue Circuit to Your Backyard
>(Paperback) by Ray Lampe and other books by the same author.
>What do all of you like? I need help, as some of you have said.
>With humility and thanks,
>Kent

Kent,

I kinda look at books about Barbecue as falling into two camps. Books
about the HISTORY and TRADITION of Barbecue and those about the
RECIPES. There is almost always some crossover between the
two...recipe books with history...and history books with recipes. I
felt I needed some of both to get a real handle on what barbeuce was
all about.

Next, I should mention that I am not a strict follower of recipes. I
use them as a guide...a template to be modified by my own whims, once
I understand the components. I seldom strictly follow a recipe more
than the first 1 or two times I try it.

All that being said, the first book that I usually point people to who
are interested in BBQ is 'Smoke & Spice' by Cheryl & Bill Jamison. I
found that it was a pretty good starter for me way back when. Has
enough recipes and the background info and the focus IS on Barbecue. A
lot of other books on the subject that I picked up seemed to be more
about grilling with the Barbecue as almost an afterthought.

Books that falls more into the other camp that I have and like are
Legends of Texas Barbecue cookbook.and North Carolina Barbecue:
Flavored by Time.

Also referenced often on my shelf are Paul Kirk's Championship
Barbecue Sauces and Raichlen's Barbecue Bible (usually for sauce and
flavor ideas). Another favorite, especially for the description of
how the owners/authors discovered what REAL barbecue is, is the
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que cookbook although some of the recipes are more
Restaurant suited..

Not real references, but great nostalgia items are some Big Boy
Barbecue Books from the 50's and 60's. Full of hilarious photos of
suburbanites with their latest astrogrills complete with mega-spits.
Fun stuff. Prize of my 'collectible' barbeuce books is my 1939 copy
of 'Sunset's Barbecue Book' replete with real wood front and back
cover (the title looks branded into the front cover.

Anyway, if it is any indication, the Barbecue book that has the most
stains, torn pages and is the most weather-beaten is definitely Smoke
and Spice.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hello,a newbie here seeking to go to BBQ from grilling but not to smoking
....U wrote "torn pages and is the most weather-beaten is definitely Smoke
and Spice." Is that because U were sloppier way back or is it that U use it
the most? Which have U used the past couple of years?

--
Thanks,
Hank
"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> [...]

> flavor ideas). Another favorite, especially for the description of
> how the owners/authors discovered what REAL barbecue is, is the
> Dinosaur Bar-B-Que cookbook although some of the recipes are more
> Restaurant suited..
>
> Not real references, but great nostalgia items are some Big Boy
> Barbecue Books from the 50's and 60's. Full of hilarious photos of
> suburbanites with their latest astrogrills complete with mega-spits.
> Fun stuff. Prize of my 'collectible' barbeuce books is my 1939 copy
> of 'Sunset's Barbecue Book' replete with real wood front and back
> cover (the title looks branded into the front cover.
>
> Anyway, if it is any indication, the Barbecue book that has the most
> stains, torn pages and is the most weather-beaten is definitely Smoke
> and Spice.
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You mention that you are a "newbie". With comments like that, you aren't
going to last long enough on here to be an "oldie".

hankB wrote:
> Hello,a newbie here seeking to go to BBQ from grilling but not to smoking
> ...U wrote "torn pages and is the most weather-beaten is definitely Smoke
> and Spice." Is that because U were sloppier way back or is it that U use it
> the most? Which have U used the past couple of years?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:25:23 -0500, "hankB" > wrote:

>Hello,a newbie here seeking to go to BBQ from grilling but not to smoking
>...U wrote "torn pages and is the most weather-beaten is definitely Smoke
>and Spice." Is that because U were sloppier way back or is it that U use it
>the most? Which have U used the past couple of years?

Hank,

1) Before you get dumped upon by the purists in the group, I should
warn you that most folks around here will tell you that
Barbecue=Smoking. Before even going towards cookbooks I would suggest
checking out two sites specifically:
a) BBQ FAQ: http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/
b) Virtual Weber Bullet site: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

2) I meant that 'Smoke & Spice' is the cookbook that I have used the
most.

Cheers,

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> I just posted a similar query on alt.food.cooking about cooking and all like
> "Joy of Cooking", a long way from barbecue. Many plunged in and shared what
> they use, mostly "Joy of Cooking"

snip
> Kent

I have yet to find a good bbq cookbook. I have gleaned good recipes form
many sources but not one good book. The best I've found so far is an
original Sunset bbq book from 1932 about building various cookers to
fire building and control, to several all around good recipes!

--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
>I just posted a similar query on alt.food.cooking about cooking and all
>like "Joy of Cooking", a long way from barbecue. Many plunged in and shared
>what they use, mostly "Joy of Cooking"
> What is the best, most used book about all aspects of barbecue, grilling,
> smoke cooking, smoking, barbecue sauce and all else?
> I haven't found a good book that raises me from my naivety and ignorance
> about certain aspects of this, as some believe.
> I don't like Raichlen, nor Jsmes Beard. Believe it or not Beard wrote a
> fairly extensive book about barbecue. I doubt that he entered the patio,
> other than to stare. The small paperback from the California Culinary
> Academy in San Francisco is a good practival guide. BBQguy likes Dr. BBQ's
> Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook: A Real Barbecue Champion Brings the Tasty
> Recipes and Juicy Stories of the Barbecue Circuit to Your Backyard
> (Paperback) by Ray Lampe and other books by the same author.
> What do all of you like? I need help, as some of you have said.
> With humility and thanks,
> Kent

Like others have said the Jamison books are very good--Ray Lampes books is
1st rate also! The Backyard BBQ,the art of Smokeology by (Chef) Richard
Mcpeake is very good. Paul Kirk does a good job helping you construct
flavour profiles!..Another good one is by Mike Millls(17th Street BBQ)--info
and history both

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
DJ DJ is offline

G'day,

I'm also a newby to this group and from Sydney Australia and enjoy cooking
on my weber kettle. I only use gas for a quicky bbq but when time permits
and I have friends around, I reckon the Charcoal weber is hard to beat.

Although the weber cookbooks suggest that when indirect cooking, they say to
build a big fire of 35 briquets per side and the meat in the middle but I
prefer to take my time and cook American style and have the coals on one
side and the meat on the other with the drip pan under the meat or sometimes
I put the meat in the drip pan on a rack.
I find that although it takes double the cooking time as I only put about
25-30 briquets in the weber, the results are superb compared to the way
weber recommends.
If I cook a 2kg (5 Ib) Pork roast, it will take me about 5 hours so I
generally put it on the bbq about 1.pm and it's ready by 6pm and it's so
tender, the knife just slides through it with little pressure.
Only downside is that I can't seem to get enough crackle in the crackling so
i might have to chuck more coals on in the last hour and a half.

I got a lot of the info on how to do this by the 'Smoke & Fire Enquirer'
e- newsletter by Smokey Hale.
www.barbecuen.com

I'll be on here often to get a lot of hints off you guys, if you don't mind.

Untill next time

Cheers!!

DJw
ww.barbecuen.com

've looked at a number of sites

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, 2fatbbq says...

>Another good one is by Mike Millls(17th Street BBQ)--info
>and history both
>
>Buzz

I'll second that recommendation.

I picked up Mike Mills' book when I went to his Memphis Championship BBQ
restaurant in Las Vegas:

"Peace, Love, & Barbecue : Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies from
the Legends of Barbecue"

It is a fun book to read with lots of history. Mills and his daughter put
cooking guidelines, tips, and a ton of recipes in there. There is also a lot
about the "BBQ philosophy" in it.

For around $13.00 from Amazon, I would recommend this to become part of your BBQ
library. For about the same price is another book:

"Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit
Bosses" by Robb Walsh

Mark
"I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DJ" > wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I'm also a newby to this group and from Sydney Australia and enjoy
> cooking on my weber kettle. I only use gas for a quicky bbq but when
> time permits and I have friends around, I reckon the Charcoal weber is
> hard to beat.
>[ . . . ]
> I got a lot of the info on how to do this by the 'Smoke & Fire Enquirer'
> e- newsletter by Smokey Hale.
> www.barbecuen.com
>
> I'll be on here often to get a lot of hints off you guys, if you don't
> mind.

G'day, DJ. Welcome to the BBQ Insane Asylum! <insert maniacal laughter>

Several other Aussies on the group, so don't feel alone.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mark Filice" > wrote in message
> In article >, 2fatbbq says...
>>
>>Another good one is by Mike Millls(17th Street BBQ)--info
>>and history both
>>
>>Buzz
>>

> I'll second that recommendation.
>
> I picked up Mike Mills' book when I went to his Memphis Championship BBQ
> restaurant in Las Vegas:
>
> "Peace, Love, & Barbecue : Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies
> from
> the Legends of Barbecue"
>
> It is a fun book to read with lots of history. Mills and his daughter put
> cooking guidelines, tips, and a ton of recipes in there. There is also a
> lot
> about the "BBQ philosophy" in it.

Mike is a character for sure--visited with him last year at the JD in
Tenn--a wealth of info---shoulda went back to the truck and got the book
for an autograph!

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 23:25:49 -0700, Chef Juke >
wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:25:31 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>I just posted a similar query on alt.food.cooking about cooking and all like
>>"Joy of Cooking", a long way from barbecue. Many plunged in and shared what
>>they use, mostly "Joy of Cooking"
>>With humility and thanks,
>>Kent
>>

>Kent,
>
>I kinda look at books about Barbecue as falling into two camps. Books
>about the HISTORY and TRADITION of Barbecue and those about the
>RECIPES.
>Anyway, if it is any indication, the Barbecue book that has the most
>stains, torn pages and is the most weather-beaten is definitely Smoke
>and Spice.
>

>-Chef Juke
>"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
>www.chefjuke.com

I have 2 copies of Smoke & Spice - the original one which looks
dog-eared and well thumbed, and a new [2nd edition] one, 'just for
show', to quote the Fiddler on the Roof.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, 2fatbbq says...

>Mike is a character for sure--visited with him last year at the JD in
>Tenn--a wealth of info---shoulda went back to the truck and got the book
>for an autograph!
>
>Buzz

I have an autographed copy--but he just signed them because they were going to
be sold at his restaurant.

I returned there and ate another great meal at one of his Las Vegas restaurants
in April. Everything was great--and I asked the manager for a tour of the
kitchen and pit.

He led my daughter and I through the pit area. He opened up one of the doors to
show me all the briskets smoking. It made the kitchen crew angry because smoke
came pouring out the door.

It was a fun tour. 8-)

Mark
"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You seem ignorant of the fact that James Beard was a pioneer of outdoor cooking
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
[...]
Smoke and Spice is a great book for recipes and fun reading. Just dont pay any attention to their recommended times and temps.