Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Vile! (as the Beatles said: "I should have known better")

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
>A cautionary tale...
>
> Tender though...

LOL
ok I 'fess up to the same mistake too--but wasn't brave enuf to admit
it--ours was like chipotle or something but still nasty

Buzz--

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A cautionary tale...

So,

I'm at my local super-duper warehouse store, and on a whim (maybe I
was tired...maybe I had had one too many beers the night before..who
knows) I pick up one of those marinated pork loins. You know, Swift
Premium whole pork loin...zesty garlic, I think it was...

I know.

I KNOW already.

Alright, I DON'T know. It was just there. And I guess I
figured...hell, can't be that bad...just marinated pork...I'll just
throw it on the grill sometime this weekend and use the leftovers for
sandwiches.

So I grilled it on my Kamado on Saturday. Cooked it PERFECTLY, I might
add....carmelized on the outside, perfectly juicy on the inside...

Looked great. Only problem was when we actually tried to EAT it.
Um...it WAS that bad. Over salted by a mile and a flavor that is
something I am still trying to figure out what it reminded me
of....slightly grilled rubber latex rubbed with stale garlic and
rancid lemon.

Tender though...

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"2fatbbq" > wrote in message

> "Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> >A cautionary tale...
> >
> > Tender though...
> >

> LOL
> ok I 'fess up to the same mistake too--but wasn't brave enuf to admit
> it--ours was like chipotle or something but still nasty
>
> Buzz--

We've made the same mistake before, too. :~)

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kilikini wrote:

> We've made the same mistake before, too. :~)
>
> kili

Here too, with some of that pre-brined spares crap. Definately not for
bbqing.

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Vile! (Mrs. Dash)

> LOL
> ok I 'fess up to the same mistake too--but wasn't brave enuf to admit
> it--ours was like chipotle or something but still nasty
>
> Buzz--

Agreed on the marinated pork but since you mentioned chipotle... Some
how I inherited a bottle of Mrs. Dash low or no sodium chipotle marinade
and used it in an emergency one afternoon... DAM! a low sodium store
bought product that actually produced a delicious and juicy batch of
grilled chicken.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6 Jun 2006 04:20:10 -0700, "Pierre" > wrote:

>kilikini wrote:
>> >

>> We've made the same mistake before, too. :~)
>>
>> kili

>Here too, with some of that pre-brined spares crap. Definately not for
>bbqing.
>
>Pierre

I admit to making man, many mistakes in my life, but buying
'doctored' meat in a box store is not on that list. Thanks to Juke,
it never will be.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Jun-2006, "2fatbbq" > wrote:

> "Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> >A cautionary tale...
> >
> > Tender though...
> >

> LOL
> ok I 'fess up to the same mistake too--but wasn't brave enuf to admit
> it--ours was like chipotle or something but still nasty
>
> Buzz--

I've been eyeing those things in various meat cases for months now. Glad
I have resisted the urge to buy one. Thanks for the heads up. I think I
could
marinate my own with more success then you describe. Likely most if not
all of us could.

--
Brick(Found a motor; can't get it above idle speed.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 20:33:30 -0500, "2fatbbq" >
wrote:

>"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
.. .
>>A cautionary tale...
>>
>> Tender though...
>>

>LOL
>ok I 'fess up to the same mistake too--but wasn't brave enuf to admit
>it--ours was like chipotle or something but still nasty
>
>Buzz--

I've been eyeing those things too. Glad y'all confirmed the
(mis)taste. You gotta remember, they buy from the low bidder &
marinade ingredients aren't always cheap (if done right).

Don S
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 05:21:49 GMT, Harry Demidavicius >
wrote:

>On 6 Jun 2006 04:20:10 -0700, "Pierre" > wrote:
>

>>kilikini wrote:
>>> >

>>> We've made the same mistake before, too. :~)
>>>
>>> kili

>>Here too, with some of that pre-brined spares crap. Definately not for
>>bbqing.
>>
>>Pierre

>I admit to making man, many mistakes in my life, but buying
>'doctored' meat in a box store is not on that list. Thanks to Juke,
>it never will be.
>
>Harry

Harry,

I am glad that someone <ptui!> can benefit <ptui!> from my
mistake..<ptui!> .

I knew better in <ptui!> the logic center of <ptui!> my brain, but
somehow I let <ptui!> the curiosity factor override <ptui!> my common
sense.

Oh. <ptui!> Excuse me. I am still <ptui!> trying to get the taste
out of my mouth...

;-)

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 12:54:08 -0700, Chef Juke
> wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 05:21:49 GMT, Harry Demidavicius >
>wrote:

>>>Here too, with some of that pre-brined spares crap. Definately not for
>>>bbqing.
>>>
>>>Pierre

>>I admit to making man, many mistakes in my life, but buying
>>'doctored' meat in a box store is not on that list. Thanks to Juke,
>>it never will be.
>>
>>Harry

>Harry,
>
>I am glad that someone <ptui!> can benefit <ptui!> from my
>mistake..<ptui!> .
>
>I knew better in <ptui!> the logic center of <ptui!> my brain, but
>somehow I let <ptui!> the curiosity factor override <ptui!> my common
>sense.
>
>Oh. <ptui!> Excuse me. I am still <ptui!> trying to get the taste
>out of my mouth...
>
>;-)
>

>-Chef Juke
>"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Gargle with Scotch, Juke - and don't forget to dab a little behind
each ear, eh ;0)

Harry
Who bought a doctored pork chop once when visiting in America just to
look at it close up. OMG!!!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chef Juke wrote:
> A cautionary tale...
>
> So,
>
> I'm at my local super-duper warehouse store, and on a whim (maybe I
> was tired...maybe I had had one too many beers the night before..who
> knows) I pick up one of those marinated pork loins. You know, Swift
> Premium whole pork loin...zesty garlic, I think it was...

Yeah, I did that once, many years ago. It was sure soaked in salt.
We didn't finish it. But it sure was tender.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
>A cautionary tale...
>
> So,
>
> I'm at my local super-duper warehouse store, and on a whim (maybe I
> was tired...maybe I had had one too many beers the night before..who
> knows) I pick up one of those marinated pork loins. You know, Swift
> Premium whole pork loin...zesty garlic, I think it was...
>
> I know.
>
> I KNOW already.
>
> Alright, I DON'T know. It was just there. And I guess I
> figured...hell, can't be that bad...just marinated pork...I'll just
> throw it on the grill sometime this weekend and use the leftovers for
> sandwiches.
>
> So I grilled it on my Kamado on Saturday. Cooked it PERFECTLY, I might
> add....carmelized on the outside, perfectly juicy on the inside...
>
> Looked great. Only problem was when we actually tried to EAT it.
> Um...it WAS that bad. Over salted by a mile and a flavor that is
> something I am still trying to figure out what it reminded me
> of....slightly grilled rubber latex rubbed with stale garlic and
> rancid lemon.
>
> Tender though...

All I can say is.. THANK YOU! Not necessarily for doing it mind you, but
for telling us about it after you did... I have to admit I've been tempted..
now, that temptation will disappear forever.