FoodBanter.com

-   -   Beef shoulder clod (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/92628-beef-shoulder-clod.html)

Default User 28-05-2006 11:42 PM

Beef shoulder clod

We'd talked about this beef shoulder clod some time back. Today the
local PBS station was marathoning episodes of Barbecue U. and one
episode featured this big cut. Raichlen cooked it at a fairly high
temperature, 325F or so. He said it took about 12 hours at that temp.

It looked mighty good when he was done. I might have to investigate
where to get one of those and give it a try.

Brian

won't shut up.

BOB[_1_] 28-05-2006 11:53 PM

Beef shoulder clod

Default User wrote:
:: We'd talked about this beef shoulder clod some time back. Today the
:: local PBS station was marathoning episodes of Barbecue U. and one
:: episode featured this big cut. Raichlen cooked it at a fairly high
:: temperature, 325F or so. He said it took about 12 hours at that
temp.
::
:: It looked mighty good when he was done. I might have to investigate
:: where to get one of those and give it a try.
::

Shoulder clod is on my "must try" list, too.

Here's Danny Gaulden's take on shoulder clod:
http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=79

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Big Jim 29-05-2006 02:36 PM

Beef shoulder clod

" BOB" > wrote in message
. ..
> Default User wrote:
> :: We'd talked about this beef shoulder clod some time back. Today the
> :: local PBS station was marathoning episodes of Barbecue U. and one
> :: episode featured this big cut. Raichlen cooked it at a fairly high
> :: temperature, 325F or so. He said it took about 12 hours at that temp.
> ::
> :: It looked mighty good when he was done. I might have to investigate
> :: where to get one of those and give it a try.
> ::
>
> Shoulder clod is on my "must try" list, too.
>
> Here's Danny Gaulden's take on shoulder clod:
> http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=79
>
> BOB
>

> --
> Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

You can cut down on the cooking time of the shoulder clod by separating
it. It consists of three (I think, it's been awhile. I cooked them at the
store a few years ago)joined sections. Just separate at the seams and cook
separate.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Piedmont 29-05-2006 06:34 PM

Beef shoulder clod

Big Jim wrote:
snip
snip

>Just separate at the seams and cook separate.

I'm waiting on the zippered version. ;)
--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Jason Tinling 30-05-2006 05:10 AM

Beef shoulder clod

> We'd talked about this beef shoulder clod some time back. <snip>
> It looked mighty good when he was done. I might have to investigate
> where to get one of those and give it a try.
>

> Brian

I've cooked a couple at Renn Faires in the past year. They are very
light on fat and so tend to be a little dry, but they're fairly tasty.
Long muscle fibers at varying angles, so it's difficult to get a "cross
grain" cut all the way across a slice.

If I were investing the 12 or so hours on a piece of beef of my
choosing, I'd go brisket. If you can seperate the shoulder out into
smaller pieces and smoker it hotter, faster and gp for a more
medium-rare finish it may be more tender/moist.

Jason