Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Traeger vs. Louisiana wood pellet grills

Hi everyone. I'm new here, although, looking through the archives, it looks
like you guys have some great recipes, so I think I'll stay subscribed! :-)
With luck, we'll have some of our own to share soon.

We would like to get a wood pellet grill, and are trying to decide between
the Traeger Deluxe and the Louisiana Greenwood. Most of the reviews I've
found have been about the Traeger, and they are quite good, so I'm inclined
to go with the "tried and true". My husband, OTOH, said he read that the
Traeger auger can get blocked, and that the Louisiana has a design that
addresses that issue. He also doesn't like the black metal, he wants
stainless steel.

Can anyone chime in on this? Any satisfied customers of either? Any people
who wish they hadn't bought it/them?

All information is greatly appreciated.

Sheila

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

WhansaMi wrote:
:: Hi everyone. I'm new here, although, looking through the archives,
it looks
:: like you guys have some great recipes, so I think I'll stay
subscribed! :-)
:: With luck, we'll have some of our own to share soon.
::
[...]

I you are set on using pellets, you should look at the Fast Eddy by
Cookshack. Tried, tested and turns out a good BBQ.
http://cookshack.radius3.com/shoppin...php?id=88&=SID

No, I'll never own one, but I have friends that do, and they are very
happy with them.

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

WhansaMi wrote:

> Can anyone chime in on this? Any satisfied customers of either? Any
> people who wish they hadn't bought it/them?

I have not used a pellet stove / grill of any kind, but I do have a few
customers who use Traegers who come in for my 'Q.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

WhansaMi wrote:
> We would like to get a wood pellet grill, and are trying to decide
> between the Traeger Deluxe and the Louisiana Greenwood.
> Can anyone chime in on this? Any satisfied customers of either? Any
> people who wish they hadn't bought it/them?

I don't own neither nor plan to but here's my take anyways.

Either used as a grill means the meat bein cooked ain't gonna be over
the wood pellets long enough to take on much of the smoke flavor.
OTOH, either used as a smoker should allow plenty of time for the
smoke to do its thing. BUT...

The Traeger Deluxe only has 525 square inches of cookin space and at a
price of $1,129.00 that means you're payin $2.15/square inch of cookin
space. The Louisiana Greenwood has 408 square inches of cookin space
and at a price of $2,257.35 (your hubby's SS model) you're payin
$5.53/square inch of cookin space.

If your main intent is to grill, I would go with a good propane grill.
A Weber Genesis Silver A (525 square inches of cookin space)will run
you about $400. That's $0.76 per square inch.

If your main intent is to smoke, you can't go wrong with a Weber
Smokey Mountain Smoker. At 468 square inches of cookin space and
costin around $200, that's $0.43 per square inch of cookin space.

My conclusion - Buy the Weber Genesis Silver A and the Weber Smokey
Mountain Smoker. Total price for both = ~$600. That's a little over
half of what you'd pay for the Traeger Deluxe alone and about a fourth
of what you'd pay for the Louisiana Greenwood alone. You'll get just
as good (or better IMO) results.

Hope this helps.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"WhansaMi" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I'm new here, although, looking through the archives, it
> looks
> like you guys have some great recipes, so I think I'll stay subscribed!
> :-)
> With luck, we'll have some of our own to share soon.
>
> We would like to get a wood pellet grill, and are trying to decide between
> the Traeger Deluxe and the Louisiana Greenwood. Most of the reviews I've
> found have been about the Traeger, and they are quite good, so I'm
> inclined
> to go with the "tried and true". My husband, OTOH, said he read that the
> Traeger auger can get blocked, and that the Louisiana has a design that
> addresses that issue. He also doesn't like the black metal, he wants
> stainless steel.
>
> Can anyone chime in on this? Any satisfied customers of either? Any
> people
> who wish they hadn't bought it/them?
>
> All information is greatly appreciated.
>
> Sheila

I have used a Traeger for over two years and never had a problem with the
auger. The units are not grills (although Traeger now has a pellet grill
available), they are barbeques or smokers - all indirect.
Customer Service has been excellent.

John in Salinas, CA

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

WhansaMi wrote:
> Hi everyone. I'm new here, although, looking through the archives, it looks
> like you guys have some great recipes, so I think I'll stay subscribed! :-)
> With luck, we'll have some of our own to share soon.
>
> We would like to get a wood pellet grill, and are trying to decide between
> the Traeger Deluxe and the Louisiana Greenwood. Most of the reviews I've
> found have been about the Traeger, and they are quite good, so I'm inclined
> to go with the "tried and true". My husband, OTOH, said he read that the
> Traeger auger can get blocked, and that the Louisiana has a design that
> addresses that issue. He also doesn't like the black metal, he wants
> stainless steel.
>
> Can anyone chime in on this? Any satisfied customers of either? Any people
> who wish they hadn't bought it/them?
>
> All information is greatly appreciated.
>
> Sheila

Sheila, it's a misnomer to call the Traeger a "grill." Although you can
grill with it, it is, first and foremost, a smoker. And, it's a fine
one, imo.

I own the Texas model and I love it. When I first bought it, I did have
a small problem with the auger, but it was my own fault. I failed to
follow the instructions. I've not had a problem since then (I've owned
the unit for about 5 years).

The only accessory I've added is the residential thermostat, which is a
must, imo. It allows for more accurate temperature control and works a
charm.

On the down side, the pellets can be expensive (about $35 for a 40lb
bag), but you should be able to find a local dealer who will sell them
to you for considerably less. If you live close to Traeger (Oregon), you
may be able to cut a deal with them by buying in bulk of 10 or so bags.
It's always a good idea to have a good stock of pellets. I found a local
dealer and the 10 bags have lasted me 2 years so far.

The best feature of an electric wood pellet smoker is that you can smoke
overnight (or any other time) without tending it. Pop your brisket in at
midnight and go to bed (keep your windows closed or the wood smell will
keep you up all night drooling). When you want to cook something more
quickly (grill), the temp will get up a bit over 400 degrees. Not
exactly ideal for searing a steak (they do come out fine), but perfectly
fine for a spatchcocked chicken. (I also own 3 charcoal grills -- 2
Webers and 1 cheap Home Depot model which is my favorite.)

Someone else pointed out the difference in cost per square inch of
cooking space between the Traeger and the Greenwood. I don't know
anything about the Greenwood, but that difference should be enough to
give the edge to the Traeger.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my smoker and recommend it highly.

--
Stan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Stan (the Man) wrote:

> Sheila, it's a misnomer to call the Traeger a "grill." Although you
> can grill with it, it is, first and foremost, a smoker.

Well, I would call it a pit, myself. To me a "smoker" conotes a device --
like the lil chief -- that is specifically for smoking, which is a
non-cooking preservative process, and different than cooking bbq.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 22 May 2006 10:35:05 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Stan (the Man) wrote:
>
>> Sheila, it's a misnomer to call the Traeger a "grill." Although you
>> can grill with it, it is, first and foremost, a smoker.

>Well, I would call it a pit, myself. To me a "smoker" conotes a device --
>like the lil chief -- that is specifically for smoking, which is a
>non-cooking preservative process, and different than cooking bbq.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You know who else believes that? Kent.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks to everyone who answered. After reading here, and doing some more
research online, we went with the Traeger Deluxe with the new residential
pellet grill, for searing.

We should get them in a few weeks. Now on to looking for more recipes! I
have already run off the recipe for the spatchcock chicken, and the hints
for making a good brisket.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sheila

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> And you'll get the unparalled joy of learning to tend the fire,
> instead of just loading the pellet hopper and then relaxing or
> otherwise occupying yourself during the cook.

Golly, messin with the fire is half the fun of cookin out. Plus it
helps keep ya outta the house where the Mrs can snap off Honey-Do
commands faster than you can crack the top off another beer and go
back out to check the fire. Dood, this IS relaxin. lol
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> Golly, messin with the fire is half the fun of cookin out. Plus it
> helps keep ya outta the house where the Mrs can snap off Honey-Do
> commands faster than you can crack the top off another beer and go
> back out to check the fire. Dood, this IS relaxin. lol

One other thought - if ya want a fuel-fed smoker, get one of Stump's
smokers.
http://www.stumpssmokers.com/index.htm

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"frohe" > wrote in message
> Denny Wheeler wrote:
> > And you'll get the unparalled joy of learning to tend the fire,
> > instead of just loading the pellet hopper and then relaxing or
> > otherwise occupying yourself during the cook.

> Golly, messin with the fire is half the fun of cookin out. Plus it
> helps keep ya outta the house where the Mrs can snap off Honey-Do
> commands faster than you can crack the top off another beer and go
> back out to check the fire. Dood, this IS relaxin. lol
> --

Nah... my hubby loves the idea of automating everything. He owns a
Robomower. ;-) The one thing he insisted upon was getting the thermostat,
so he can put stuff on, walk away, and not come back until it is ready!

Sheila (who tends to put together very few Honey'Do lists!)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"frohe" > wrote in message

:: frohe wrote:
::: Golly, messin with the fire is half the fun of cookin out. Plus
it
::: helps keep ya outta the house where the Mrs can snap off Honey-Do
::: commands faster than you can crack the top off another beer and go
::: back out to check the fire. Dood, this IS relaxin. lol
::
:: One other thought - if ya want a fuel-fed smoker, get one of
Stump's
:: smokers.
:: http://www.stumpssmokers.com/index.htm
::
:: --
:: -frohe
:: Life is too short to be in a hurry

Have you seen the video?
You need "quick time video player", and it takes a looooong time to
download if you're on dial-up, but well worth it.
http://homepage.mac.com/copyconn/iMovieTheater29.html

BOB
btw...the GF 222 CM is the model that I bought

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 22 May 2006 08:14:10 -0400, Stan (the Man) wrote:

> a spatchcocked chicken. (I also own 3 charcoal grills -- 2 Webers and 1
> cheap Home Depot model which is my favorite.)

Hi Stan,

What cheap one do you have? I am looking for a cheap grill.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"SteveSch" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 22 May 2006 08:14:10 -0400, Stan (the Man) wrote:
>
>> a spatchcocked chicken. (I also own 3 charcoal grills -- 2 Webers and 1
>> cheap Home Depot model which is my favorite.)

> Hi Stan,
>
> What cheap one do you have? I am looking for a cheap grill.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Boy... I started that thread nearly a year ago! How long were you looking
through the archives to go back THAT far???

Sheila

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"SteveSch" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 22 May 2006 08:14:10 -0400, Stan (the Man) wrote:
>
>> a spatchcocked chicken. (I also own 3 charcoal grills -- 2 Webers and 1
>> cheap Home Depot model which is my favorite.)

> Hi Stan,
>
> What cheap one do you have? I am looking for a cheap grill.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

On a bit of a delay, eh, Steve?

Home Depot sells a small black grill for about $49.95. They keep it with
the grilling accessories. Don't know the brand. I just dumped the one I
used for two seasons and got a new one. It had a couple of small dents, so
they gave me 10% off. Great little grill.

--
Stan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 08 May 2007 19:58:29 +0000, WhansaMi wrote:

> Boy... I started that thread nearly a year ago! How long were you looking
> through the archives to go back THAT far???
>
> Sheila

Oops. My news server has posts from 2003 on it. Guess I'd better pay
attention to the dates.

Oh well. Since you went with the Traeger Deluxe, how do you like it?

Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 08 May 2007 20:13:14 +0000, Stan (the Man) wrote:

> On a bit of a delay, eh, Steve?

ROTFL

> Home Depot sells a small black grill for about $49.95. They keep it with
> the grilling accessories. Don't know the brand. I just dumped the one I
> used for two seasons and got a new one. It had a couple of small dents, so
> they gave me 10% off. Great little grill.

Thanks for the reply. next time I will try and remember to check the dates
before I post. The delay line was good though. ;-)

Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"SteveSch" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 08 May 2007 19:58:29 +0000, WhansaMi wrote:
>
>> Boy... I started that thread nearly a year ago! How long were you
>> looking
>> through the archives to go back THAT far???
>>
>> Sheila

> Oops. My news server has posts from 2003 on it. Guess I'd better pay
> attention to the dates.
>
> Oh well. Since you went with the Traeger Deluxe, how do you like it?

We love it. Even I can work it! I'd highly recommend it.
Sheila

Cleaning Traeger Grills greg h Barbecue 3 11-04-2008 11:21 PM
TRAEGER OR LOUISIANA BRANDS ??? [email protected] Barbecue 1 20-06-2007 12:27 AM
Traeger Grills / Wood Pellet Barbecue 2 09-12-2006 04:06 PM
Traeger Wood Pellet Grill steve376 Barbecue 10 23-12-2004 12:13 PM
Dual Fuel Pellet and Gas, Louisiana Grills by Dansons, hmm... ed hose Barbecue 1 14-05-2004 12:20 AM