Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default How do ya keep that Q tender?

Greets, Q-heads,
Fired up the ol' bullet smoker for the first time this season, did a
brisket with mesquite and my wife's famous, secret rub and it came out,
well.......FANTASTIC.
Only problem is, as the brisket cooled it proceeded to get a little tough.
Still way tasty, but not as succulent, tender, MOUTH-WATERING as when it
first came off the rack. Any ideas on how to maintain that first-blush,
fork-tender, oh-so-tasty fresh outta the rig taste? Besides eat it? All at
once?
BTW, the brisket was about 3.5 lbs., and stayed in the smoke for about 4
hrs. @ 250°F. I stayed with it the whole time, checked my chip/smoke/heat
factor every 15 minutes or so. Temp was about 170 internal when I pulled it
offa there. All critiques of my technique (or lack thereof) are cordially
welcomed. I felt like I really got close on this one.

--
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
~ Stephen Wright
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shane Paul wrote:

> Greets, Q-heads,
> Fired up the ol' bullet smoker for the first time this season, did a
> brisket with mesquite and my wife's famous, secret rub and it came out,
> well.......FANTASTIC.
> Only problem is, as the brisket cooled it proceeded to get a little tough.
> Still way tasty, but not as succulent, tender, MOUTH-WATERING as when it
> first came off the rack. Any ideas on how to maintain that first-blush,
> fork-tender, oh-so-tasty fresh outta the rig taste? Besides eat it? All at
> once?
> BTW, the brisket was about 3.5 lbs., and stayed in the smoke for about 4
> hrs. @ 250°F. I stayed with it the whole time, checked my chip/smoke/heat
> factor every 15 minutes or so. Temp was about 170 internal when I pulled it
> offa there. All critiques of my technique (or lack thereof) are cordially
> welcomed. I felt like I really got close on this one.

170 F is a bit too low for brisket. It will usually be chewy if you
don't take it higher. Try up around 185-195 F next time. A fork should
penetrate with no resistance. That's the best test.

BTW, if by chance you undercook a brisket, all is not lost. It makes great
stew. Cut it into cubes, brown it in a pot, toss in some onions, garlic,
etc, pour on some stock and wine, and simmer until completely tender.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shane Paul wrote:
> Greets, Q-heads,

snip
> Only problem is, as the brisket cooled it proceeded to get a little tough.

snip
> ~ Stephen Wright

Did you let it rest before cutting?

--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 17 May 2006 02:36:01 -0600, Shane Paul >
wrote:

>Greets, Q-heads,
>Fired up the ol' bullet smoker for the first time this season, did a
>brisket with mesquite and my wife's famous, secret rub and it came out,
>well.......FANTASTIC.
>Only problem is, as the brisket cooled it proceeded to get a little tough.
>Still way tasty, but not as succulent, tender, MOUTH-WATERING as when it
>first came off the rack. Any ideas on how to maintain that first-blush,
>fork-tender, oh-so-tasty fresh outta the rig taste? Besides eat it? All at
>once?
>BTW, the brisket was about 3.5 lbs., and stayed in the smoke for about 4
>hrs. @ 250°F. I stayed with it the whole time, checked my chip/smoke/heat
>factor every 15 minutes or so. Temp was about 170 internal when I pulled it
>offa there. All critiques of my technique (or lack thereof) are cordially
>welcomed. I felt like I really got close on this one.

1. Take it off at a higher temp (185-190) or when you can easily
insert and twist a fork.

2. Let it rest before slicing. Wrap it in heavy-duty foil, wrap that
in a towel, and set it in a cooler (without ice, of course). I use a
square soft-sided cooler about 14" X 14". It'll stay warm for hours
that way; more important, the time spent resting will enable the
juices to be redistributed throughout the meat.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shane Paul > wrote in
:

> Any ideas on how to maintain that
> first-blush, fork-tender, oh-so-tasty fresh outta the rig taste?
> Besides eat it? All at once?

There is no way to competely hold that fresh-out-of-the-grill tenderness,
but tin foil is your friend. Wrap your meat (without
slicing/pulling/chopping it) as soon as you can after coming out of the
grill, or store it in some sort of sealed container. It won't be as good as
that bite you pulled off while it was still in the gril, but it'll sure
beat a bite from the same piece of meat sliced and left to sit on a table
for an hour or two.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Many thanks. I'd do the stew thang, but I've already munched most of it
down (chopped up with a little sauce, mighty tasty on a bun!)

On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:49:24 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Shane Paul wrote:
>
>> Greets, Q-heads,
>> Fired up the ol' bullet smoker for the first time this season, did a
>> brisket with mesquite and my wife's famous, secret rub and it came out,
>> well.......FANTASTIC.
>> Only problem is, as the brisket cooled it proceeded to get a little tough.
>> Still way tasty, but not as succulent, tender, MOUTH-WATERING as when it
>> first came off the rack. Any ideas on how to maintain that first-blush,
>> fork-tender, oh-so-tasty fresh outta the rig taste? Besides eat it? All at
>> once?
>> BTW, the brisket was about 3.5 lbs., and stayed in the smoke for about 4
>> hrs. @ 250°F. I stayed with it the whole time, checked my chip/smoke/heat
>> factor every 15 minutes or so. Temp was about 170 internal when I pulled it
>> offa there. All critiques of my technique (or lack thereof) are cordially
>> welcomed. I felt like I really got close on this one.

>170 F is a bit too low for brisket. It will usually be chewy if you
>don't take it higher. Try up around 185-195 F next time. A fork should
>penetrate with no resistance. That's the best test.
>
>BTW, if by chance you undercook a brisket, all is not lost. It makes great
>stew. Cut it into cubes, brown it in a pot, toss in some onions, garlic,
>etc, pour on some stock and wine, and simmer until completely tender.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Oh, yeah, I let it rest AT LEAST 30 seconds or so before slicing off an
end.......ah, I guess that's bad, huh? <sheepish grin>

--
"Beer is proof that God wants us to live well and be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

On Wed, 17 May 2006 07:50:16 -0500, Piedmont > wrote:

>Shane Paul wrote:
>> Greets, Q-heads,

>snip
>> Only problem is, as the brisket cooled it proceeded to get a little tough.

>snip
>> ~ Stephen Wright

>Did you let it rest before cutting?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
news
> Shane Paul wrote:
>
>> Greets, Q-heads,
>> Fired up the ol' bullet smoker for the first time this season, did a
>> brisket with mesquite and my wife's famous, secret rub and it came out,
>> well.......FANTASTIC. Only problem is, as the brisket cooled it proceeded
>> to get a little tough.
>> Still way tasty, but not as succulent, tender, MOUTH-WATERING as when it
>> first came off the rack. Any ideas on how to maintain that first-blush,
>> fork-tender, oh-so-tasty fresh outta the rig taste? Besides eat it? All
>> at
>> once?
>> BTW, the brisket was about 3.5 lbs., and stayed in the smoke for about 4
>> hrs. @ 250°F. I stayed with it the whole time, checked my chip/smoke/heat
>> factor every 15 minutes or so. Temp was about 170 internal when I pulled
>> it
>> offa there. All critiques of my technique (or lack thereof) are cordially
>> welcomed. I felt like I really got close on this one.

> 170 F is a bit too low for brisket. It will usually be chewy if you
> don't take it higher. Try up around 185-195 F next time. A fork should
> penetrate with no resistance. That's the best test.
>
> BTW, if by chance you undercook a brisket, all is not lost. It makes great
> stew. Cut it into cubes, brown it in a pot, toss in some onions, garlic,
> etc, pour on some stock and wine, and simmer until completely tender.
>
> --
> Reg

Brisket such as this, slightly undercooked and a bit dry, would be a great
meat with which to make Boeuf Bourguignon, or Brisket Bourguignon. This is
one of the greatest beef stews in the world. It's much easier to make than
it seems, and it's pretty much foolproof.. This recipe is by Julia Child and
Jacques Pepin. Instead of salt pork, you can use thick bacon. The salt pork
is much better.

5 ounces salt pork
2 tablespoons vegetable oil -- + more if needed
3 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast or top blade
1 1/2 cups chopped onion -- 1/2" dice
1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped carrots -- 1/2" dice
6 sprigs thyme or ¼ tsp dried
3 imported bay leaves
handful parsley stems
1 head garlic -- cloves separated and crushed but not
peeled
1 large tomatoe cored and chopped or ¼ cup canned Italian
plum, drained
1 bottle sturdy dry red wine -- pinot noir
2 cups strong dark stock
18 small white onions -- about 1¼" diameter
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup or more of the dark stock
10 ounces fresh mushroooms about 1" diameter
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour or more
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup red wine (same as you are serving at the table)
freshy parsley, finely chopped
croutons

Oven @ 300°F If you plan on stewing the beef right away.

Lardons: cut salt pork in to rectangular slices about ½" wide, then cut the
slices into
strips 1" long. Simmer in a saucepan with a quart or 2 of water for about
10 minutes.
Drain, rinse in cold water and pat dry.

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the large frying pan over moderate heat and
sauté the
blanched lardons for about 5 minutes, stirring them around the pan as they
render their
fat, until lightly browned on all sides. Remove the lardons to the casserole
with a
slotted spoon, leaving all the fat in the pan. There should be enough to
coat the pan;
add more if necessary.

Trim beef of all fat and gristle and cut into 2½ to 3" chunks (should have
about 18 -20
pieces) If you have a chuck roast, slice the meat apart following the
natural seams of
the muscles, trim away fat, and cut into chunks.

Dry beef on paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat frying pan
until fat
is very hot but not smoking and set in a batch of chunks in a single layer,
with a
little space between pieces. If overcrowded they will steam and not sear.
Brown the
pieces on all sides, about 5 + minutes. Remove them as they are done to the
casserole
and add more to pan. Adjust heat to keep fat hot, adding more oil as needed.

When beef has all browned, drain and discard the fat. Pour a cup or so of
the wine into
the pan and deglaze it. Pour this over the lardons and beef.

Put the chopped onion and carrot, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, parsley stems
and garlic
cloves in the middle of alarge piece of cheesecloth. Fold up the corners,
enclosing
the aromatics and tie securely with twine. Push aside some of the beef
chunks an
nestle the bouquet in the middle of the casserole. Scatter tomato pieces on
top of
the meat and pour in remaining wine and enough stock just to cover the meat
chunks.

Bring the liquid to a simmer on top of the stove, cover and set into heated
oven. Cook
for about 2 hours, keeping stew at a barely active simmer, until beef is
fork tender
but not falling apart. To be safe, test meat every 15 minutes after 1½ hours
of
stewing - don't overcook.

When meat is done, set casserole on stovetop. Remove cheesecloth bouquet to
a colander
or strainer over a bowl and press out its juices. Pour juices back into the
stew and
discard the bouquet.

Blanch the onions for 1 minute and peel. With the tip of your knife, piece a
shallow
cross in the root of the onion. Trim and clean mushrooms and cut them in
halves or
quarters if larger than 1" across.

Place onions in one layer in a saucepan with the butter, sugar and pinch of
salt and
½ cup or more of stock or water, to come about 1/3 of the way up their
sides. Bring to
boil, cover and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are barely
tender.
Uncover an continue cooking until all liquid evaporates and shake the pan so
the
onions are glazed all over in the butter and sugar.

Turn mushrooms into pan, fold and toss with onions, and cook together over
moderate
heat as mushrooms release their liquid and begin to brown. When all
vegetables are
glazed and colored, set aside. Deglaze pan the saucepan with a few spoonfuls
of wine
or stock an pour that into the stew.

Return stew to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat. With a
whisk,
blend 2 tablespoons of flour and 2 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl to
make a
thick paste or a beurre manié. Gradually whisk ½ cup of stewing liquid into
the paste
to liquefy it. Blend this into the stew and bring to a simmer. Cook for a
couple of
minutes and check sauce for consistency. If you want it thicker, mix up more
buerre
manié and add it in the same manner. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings.

Kent