Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Alton Brown smoker without electricity?

I'm going camping for a few weeks and want to bring one of those alton
brown terracotta flowerpot smokers, unfortunately like I said I'll be
camping and so there won't be any electricity. Any smoker I use will
have to be run on wood and charcoal only. So what's the deal? Is there
any way to use one of those things without any electricity?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>> > I'm going camping for a few weeks and want to bring one of those alton
>> > brown terracotta flowerpot smokers, unfortunately like I said I'll be
>> > camping and so there won't be any electricity. Any smoker I use will
>> > have to be run on wood and charcoal only. So what's the deal? Is there
>> > any way to use one of those things without any electricity?

>> Regular Terra cotta will cracks and crumble under moderate heat,
>> which is what the wood and charcoal will produce in that close
>> proximity to the pots.
>>
>> Borrow a Smokey Joe from somebody. It doesn't slow smoke foods,
>> but you can pseudo-smoke with only a little bit of fuel.
>>
>> -sw

>I don't know anyone with a Smokey Joe, so that idea's out. Anybody got
>some real advice?

Don't let the boys get you down. They can get a little testy this time
of year. You can make fine barbecue with an inexpensive rig.

You can use a regular terra-cotta pot, though as Steve pointed out, it
might not last a long time. If you are camping, however, you might not
want to use a terra-cotta pot for another reason -- it is heavy. The
real purpose of the "pot" is just to insulate the hotter inside from
the cooler outside. For camping, go with an inexpensive styrofoam
cooler. Lots of times you can find them for free, and grocery stores
often throw them away. Use bleach to clean them if they need it.

They will melt, of course, if they get too hot, so you wouldn't want
to use hot-burning charcoal or hardwood. Something fragrant that
doesn't make a big fire is the best choice. Personally, I like to use
pine needles, though I imagine that any softwood bark would work OK
too. Stay away from anything soaked in creosote. Some people like to
use chicken feathers for smoke, but I don't care for it myself.
Whatever you choose for fuel and smoke, don't use too much -- a little
goes a long way. You'll need to change the needles several times, like
AB did in the show where he built another smoker out of a cardboard
box. He was using sawdust instead of pine needles, but it's the same
idea. His cardboard box was also the same idea as using styrofoam,
except that it isn't a good an insulator.

The key to this approach is to keep the fire small, so you don't want
to be cooking large pieces of meat. Here's where spending a little
money will pay dividends. I'd use the best cuts you can afford. I once
had some Kobe beef cooked for fourteen hours in a flower pot and it
was just about the best steak I've ever eaten. A pork tenderloin would
be good too. Ribs wouldn't be a good choice typically becuase they are
long and narrow and wouldn't fit the cooler properly. You don't want
the fire too close to the edge.

Parboiling the cuts will help them cook faster and more evenly. All
you really need for a rub is salt, pepper and ketchup. but some people
like to use mayonaise too. It's a matter of taste.

I hope you enjoy your camping trip.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Radar wrote:

> I hope you enjoy your camping trip.

ROTFLOL!!!! You evil, evil man. :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> >> Regular Terra cotta will cracks and crumble under moderate heat,
> >> which is what the wood and charcoal will produce in that close
> >> proximity to the pots.
> >>
> >> Borrow a Smokey Joe from somebody. It doesn't slow smoke foods,
> >> but you can pseudo-smoke with only a little bit of fuel.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > I don't know anyone with a Smokey Joe, so that idea's out. Anybody got
> > some real advice?

> You snotty, ungrateful piece of shit.
>
> Yeah - take your terra cotta and see WTF happens. It'll work
> great.
>
> If you're to cheap to buy a $20 grill, don't come in here whining
> to us because we can't cure your Cheap ******* Syndrome or give
> you the answers you want to hear.
>
> -sw

Grill? I don't want a girll, you ****ing idiot. And besides, the
original post - which you completely ignored - was how to get a
terracotta smoker to work without an electric hotplace. I didn't ask
what kind of Smokey Joe to buy instead of the terracotta, and I sure as
hell didn't ask where to buy a $20 grill. If you weren't such a
braindead dumb**** you would have known that.

So why is your single-digit IQ ass telling me to buy a Smokey Joe, when
it has nothing to do with what I asked in the original post? Do you
enioy making dumbass replies that are completely irrelevant to the post
you're replying to? Do you have some sort of fetish for answering
questions with off-topic answers that have nothing to do with the
questions?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

Absolutely nothing......... Yawn.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > wrote:
> >

> >>I don't know anyone with a Smokey Joe, so that idea's out. Anybody got
> >>some real advice?

> > Well, real advice has been given, and you've been an ungrateful boorish lout
> > about it all. You can dig a pit in the ground then ring the pit with rocks.
> > In another fire ring, burn down local wood (preferably hardwood) into coals.
> > Shovel the coals into the pit. Then prior to placing a cheap grate on top of
> > the rocks, jump in and go to hell.
> >
> > Some folks are just big weenies.
> >

> As usual Dave. You speak the truth. Personally, I agree
> witht the troll and "weenie" sentiments.
>
> He's been given good advice if he want's good q'ing
> equipment.

No, I got your worthless, down's syndrome ass telling me to buy a Weber
Smokey Mountain, when I never ****ing asked you about a Weber Smokey
Mountain. I asked how to convert an Alton Brown smoker into a
non-electric smoker - your dumb ass says "buy a Weber Smokey Mountain"
which is not what I asked about. Your "good advice" is not only ****ing
stupid, it's completely off-topic and meaningless. IF I had asked you
what kind of metal smoker to buy, and IF I had asked whether or not I
should buy a Weber Smokey Mountain, your idiot reply might have made
sense. But I didn't, so you saying to buy a Weber Smokey Montain when I
had asked how to convert an Alton Brown Smoker means you have roughly
the IQ of a baby with fetal alcohol syndrome.

If he was REALLY looking the instructions for
> AB's cooker, all he had to do was go to the FN website and
> do a search.

You're an idiot, obviously.

> Obvious troll. Sorry I fell for it.
> <blush>

I'm the troll? You reply to my post with an off-topic answer that's
completely irrelevant, and I'm supposed to be the one trolling?

> --
> Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> wrote:
>
> Absolutely nothing......... Yawn.
> --
> Dave

www.davebbq.com

That's what I thought. I'll take your backpedaling to mean you concede
and admit you were wrong.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

Wha.. snuffle.... yawn.... hmmm, still nothin'.....
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> wrote:
>
> Wha.. snuffle.... yawn.... hmmm, still nothin'.....
> --
> Dave

www.davebbq.com

Cavalier attitude and making a big show about it... not referencing or
acknowledging anything in my reply where i slapped you around (because
you know I'm right and you can't prove me wrong)... yep. Your fat ass
is doing the "I was put in my place" dance.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2006 15:55:18 -0700, wrote:
>
> > Grill? I don't want a girll, you ****ing idiot.

> Well, if you want [little] boys, then you're in the wrong place.
> You need to visit the binaries groups for those.

I'm sure you know all the right binary groups for that, since you're a
child molestor.

> > And besides, the
> > original post - which you completely ignored - was how to get a
> > terracotta smoker to work without an electric hotplace.

> And you said you'd use charcoal/wood - I politely told you that
> you can't use those in terra cotta, you ****ing idiot.

And your point is? I'd just use a different fuel source (although terra
cotta pots do indeed use wood, which I'm surprised that you're ignorant
of).

> And I also suggested that you *can* get faux-smoked food out of a
> smokey joe, yoiu incredible imbecile.

That's nice. Then again, I never asked about a smokey joe in the first
place, ans I sure as **** didn't ask if I should get one and where to
get one.

http://i3.tinypic.com/ws4vgn.jpg

> What a ****ing moron.
>
> -sw

Which one of us replies to posts answering questions with worthless
dumbass answers which have jack shit to do with those questions?
Because that's what ****ing morons do.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> Sheesh. And people wonder why we get so defensive and rude.
> Even when we're nice, we get flamed.
>
> -sw

You weren't anything resembling nice. You were stupid, trollish and
off-topic.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>>Absolutely nothing......... Yawn.
>>--
>>Dave

www.davebbq.com

> That's what I thought. I'll take your backpedaling to mean you concede
> and admit you were wrong.

Try again, moron.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>>>Grill? I don't want a girll, you ****ing idiot.

>>Well, if you want [little] boys, then you're in the wrong place.
>>You need to visit the binaries groups for those.

> I'm sure you know all the right binary groups for that, since you're a
> child molestor.
>

>>>And besides, the
>>>original post - which you completely ignored - was how to get a
>>>terracotta smoker to work without an electric hotplace.

>>And you said you'd use charcoal/wood - I politely told you that
>>you can't use those in terra cotta, you ****ing idiot.

> And your point is? I'd just use a different fuel source (although terra
> cotta pots do indeed use wood, which I'm surprised that you're ignorant
> of).
>

>>And I also suggested that you *can* get faux-smoked food out of a
>>smokey joe, yoiu incredible imbecile.

> That's nice. Then again, I never asked about a smokey joe in the first
> place, ans I sure as **** didn't ask if I should get one and where to
> get one.
>

>>Here. This is more your speed, and well within your cheap-assed
>>budget. And yes - it smokes food, too.

http://i3.tinypic.com/ws4vgn.jpg

>>What a ****ing moron.
>>
>>-sw

> Which one of us replies to posts answering questions with worthless
> dumbass answers which have jack shit to do with those questions?
> Because that's what ****ing morons do.

"Morons"??? Morons post things like this: "I'm sure you know all the
right binary groups for that, since you're a child molestor."

Is it still libel if the poster is too stupid to spell correctly?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dan Krueger wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Dave Bugg wrote:
> >
> wrote:
> >>
> >>Absolutely nothing......... Yawn.
> >>--
> >>Dave

www.davebbq.com

> > That's what I thought. I'll take your backpedaling to mean you concede
> > and admit you were wrong.
> >

> Try again, moron.

Ok. He's embarrassed about being admonished and knows he can't prove me
wrong (and also knows that I have a point), and saying "yawn" allows
him some ammunition without addressing anything I said in my post,
which he's scared to do because I'm obviously right and there's no way
he can argue against me. Going "yawn" also allows him to act cool and
nonchalant as if he hasn't been embarrassed, which he has.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> wrote:
>
> doink.....doink. (the sound of a pointy stick making contact)
>
> Sitting back with some chips and watching the entertainment continue.
> --
> Dave

www.davebbq.com

Dancing the night away...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
:: wrote:
::
:: doink.....doink. (the sound of a pointy stick making contact)
::
:: Sitting back with some chips and watching the entertainment
continue.
:: --
:: Dave
::
www.davebbq.com

Here, Dave, have a beer. It's ice cold. Need some BBQ from my
Stump's? Or are you not eating BBQ on the weekends?

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> >>Well, if you want [little] boys, then you're in the wrong place.
> >>You need to visit the binaries groups for those.

> > I'm sure you know all the right binary groups for that, since you're a
> > child molestor.

> >>And you said you'd use charcoal/wood - I politely told you that
> >>you can't use those in terra cotta, you ****ing idiot.

> > And your point is? I'd just use a different fuel source (although terra
> > cotta pots do indeed use wood, which I'm surprised that you're ignorant
> > of).
> >

> >>And I also suggested that you *can* get faux-smoked food out of a
> >>smokey joe, yoiu incredible imbecile.

> > That's nice. Then again, I never asked about a smokey joe in the first
> > place, ans I sure as **** didn't ask if I should get one and where to
> > get one.
> >

> >>Here. This is more your speed, and well within your cheap-assed
> >>budget. And yes - it smokes food, too.

http://i3.tinypic.com/ws4vgn.jpg

> >>What a ****ing moron.
> >>
> >>-sw

> > Which one of us replies to posts answering questions with worthless
> > dumbass answers which have jack shit to do with those questions?
> > Because that's what ****ing morons do.
> >

> "Morons"??? Morons post things like this: "I'm sure you know all the
> right binary groups for that, since you're a child molestor."

No, morons conveniently ignore that I wasn't the one that initiated the
pedophile comments and accusations.

> Is it still libel if the poster is too stupid to spell correctly?

You're right, I should have said kid diddler.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:

> Here, Dave, have a beer. It's ice cold. Need some BBQ from my
> Stump's? Or are you not eating BBQ on the weekends?

Man, pass on a plateful. I only taste during the week, the weekend is when I
get to eat :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

::
[...]

ROTFL MAO! Nice job. I hope he takes your advise.

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Steve Calvin wrote:
> > Dave Bugg wrote:

> > > Well, real advice has been given, and you've been an ungrateful

boorish lout
> > > about it all. You can dig a pit in the ground then ring the pit with

rocks.
> > > In another fire ring, burn down local wood (preferably hardwood) into

coals.
> > > Shovel the coals into the pit. Then prior to placing a cheap grate on

top of
> > > the rocks, jump in and go to hell.
> > >
> > > Some folks are just big weenies.
> > >

> > As usual Dave. You speak the truth. Personally, I agree
> > witht the troll and "weenie" sentiments.
> >
> > He's been given good advice if he want's good q'ing
> > equipment.

> No, I got your worthless, down's syndrome ass telling me to buy a Weber
> Smokey Mountain, when I never ****ing asked you about a Weber Smokey
> Mountain. I asked how to convert an Alton Brown smoker into a
> non-electric smoker - your dumb ass says "buy a Weber Smokey Mountain"
> which is not what I asked about. Your "good advice" is not only ****ing
> stupid, it's completely off-topic and meaningless. IF I had asked you
> what kind of metal smoker to buy, and IF I had asked whether or not I
> should buy a Weber Smokey Mountain, your idiot reply might have made
> sense. But I didn't, so you saying to buy a Weber Smokey Montain when I
> had asked how to convert an Alton Brown Smoker means you have roughly
> the IQ of a baby with fetal alcohol syndrome.

Holding off until her hubby reads this thread. LOL. He'll be *all* over
it. :~)

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
:: BOB wrote:
::
::: Here, Dave, have a beer. It's ice cold. Need some BBQ from my
::: Stump's? Or are you not eating BBQ on the weekends?
::
:: Man, pass on a plateful. I only taste during the week, the weekend
is when I
:: get to eat :-)
::
:: --
:: Dave
:: www.davebbq.com

Well, it's not from a flower pot (even by Hound's definition, yes I
still have and use them all!) but it's pretty good. You want pulled
pork, brisket, ribs or maybe chicken? I've got some smiked pork loin,
too, but it's mostly gone. Vinegar slaw to go on the pulled pork on
cheap white bread sammiches, too.

Beer isn't Fosco quality, but Red Stripe sure goes with BBQ.

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kilikini wrote:

> Holding off until her hubby reads this thread. LOL. He'll be *all*
> over it. :~)

:-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Alton Brown smoker without electricity? Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 23 18-05-2006 04:40 AM
Alton Brown smoker without electricity? Hal Burton Barbecue 1 10-05-2006 05:05 PM
alton brown smoker Barbecue 21 06-04-2006 05:39 PM
alton brown smoker Barbecue 3 31-03-2006 07:47 AM