Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Silver Smoker Modifications

Was in Home Depot yesterday, and once again, my eyes were drawn to the
Char Broil Silver Smoker - Only $150 .

I know there are many modifications that can be done on this unit to
make it perform better - add a baffle, some steel plating to reinforce
the smoke box, etc...

I remember when I was thinking about this last year, I had come across
a posting in a BBQ forum from someone who had a pdf file of
modifications specifically for the SS and made it available to anyone
who asked.

My old computer had since crashed and I can't locate it anymore, so I
was hoping anyone might.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any info they could share.
Thanks.

Jay

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3-Apr-2006, wrote:

> Was in Home Depot yesterday, and once again, my eyes were drawn to the
> Char Broil Silver Smoker - Only $150 .
>
> I know there are many modifications that can be done on this unit to
> make it perform better - add a baffle, some steel plating to reinforce
> the smoke box, etc...
>
> I remember when I was thinking about this last year, I had come across
> a posting in a BBQ forum from someone who had a pdf file of
> modifications specifically for the SS and made it available to anyone
> who asked.
>
> My old computer had since crashed and I can't locate it anymore, so I
> was hoping anyone might.
>
> I'd appreciate it if anyone has any info they could share.
> Thanks.
>
> Jay

I'm one of the old shits here that are alleged to shit on any newcomer.
First off, welcome and second, I'll tell you about my NBS which is the
daddy of the Charbroil Silver. They are essentially the same machine.

I've had mine for some three years. Your biggest problem is worrying
and peeking. In the Charbroil; build a large fire. Think two chimneys of
cold lump, maybe three. Top with one chimney of lit lump. Leave the
chimney damper wide open. Close off the firebox damper to about 1
inch. Go away. Come back in ten minutes or so. Check the chimney
temp. If it's in the 250 or above range, put your meat on. Don't adjust
anything. Go away. Watch tv or play with your pc for at least one
hour. Check the chimney temp. If it's still 250 or above, go watch
some more TV or something. Do not under pain of death open the
cook chamber to peek.

I don't care what you are cooking, nothing is going to be done under
four hours unless you let the temp spike above 300. If you do
what I tell you, that will not happen. Don't experiment with the draft
control. Leave it at 1".

When the initial fire burns down, (at about the two hour point), signaled
by a drop in temp at the chimney, dump another chimney of cold lump
right on top of it. Close the door and go away. Don't mess with the draft.
Under no circumstance,open the cook chamber to peek.

If you have digital therm(s), they'll be a big help, but they're still only
an indicator to when the meat is done. Use the forktwist test for
butt or briskett and the bend to crack test for ribs.

Check ribs hourly after two hours. Check butts hourly after four hours.
Check briskets after about six hours.

Brick(Paddling as ever fast as I can)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6-Apr-2006, " > wrote:

> wrote:
> > Was in Home Depot yesterday, and once again, my eyes were drawn to the
> > Char Broil Silver Smoker - Only $150 .
> >
> > I know there are many modifications that can be done on this unit to
> > make it perform better - add a baffle, some steel plating to reinforce
> > the smoke box, etc...
> >
> > I remember when I was thinking about this last year, I had come across
> > a posting in a BBQ forum from someone who had a pdf file of
> > modifications specifically for the SS and made it available to anyone
> > who asked.
> >
> > My old computer had since crashed and I can't locate it anymore, so I
> > was hoping anyone might.
> >
> > I'd appreciate it if anyone has any info they could share.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jay

> Jay-
>
> Did you check the BBQ FAQ? Plenty there to keep you busy for a while.
> The directions there are pretty straight forward. Hell, I've made a mod
> (adding some "L" shaped slotted steel to rest the cooking grates on)
> that's not in the FAQ but, I just saw in a new model at Lowe's!
>
> And a few words to echo what others have stated. Cold lump on a burned
> down fire for sure! (In my NB pit that's about an hour) Also,
> remember:" when it's done, it's done". The fork test is the final word.
> Time and temperature can only be a (rough) guide.
>
> Rob

Ditto what Rob said, except, I get about two hours from the initial fire in
my NB Silver. About every hour after that. Eight to ten lbs of lump total
to cook a 6 - 8 lb butt and a few slabs of ribs. Definitely not a WSM,
but not to shabby either. I can get a couple of butts and 8 racks of
spares in this guy if I use rib racks and use no more fuel.

--
Brick (Paddling ever slower)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> > > Was in Home Depot yesterday, and once again, my eyes were drawn to the
> > > Char Broil Silver Smoker - Only $150 .
> > >
> > > I know there are many modifications that can be done on this unit to
> > > make it perform better - add a baffle, some steel plating to reinforce
> > > the smoke box, etc...
> > >
> > > I remember when I was thinking about this last year, I had come across
> > > a posting in a BBQ forum from someone who had a pdf file of
> > > modifications specifically for the SS and made it available to anyone
> > > who asked.
> > >
> > > My old computer had since crashed and I can't locate it anymore, so I
> > > was hoping anyone might.
> > >
> > > I'd appreciate it if anyone has any info they could share.
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Jay

> > Jay-
> >
> > Did you check the BBQ FAQ? Plenty there to keep you busy for a while.
> > The directions there are pretty straight forward. Hell, I've made a mod
> > (adding some "L" shaped slotted steel to rest the cooking grates on)
> > that's not in the FAQ but, I just saw in a new model at Lowe's!
> >
> > And a few words to echo what others have stated. Cold lump on a burned
> > down fire for sure! (In my NB pit that's about an hour) Also,
> > remember:" when it's done, it's done". The fork test is the final word.
> > Time and temperature can only be a (rough) guide.
> >
> > Rob

> Ditto what Rob said, except, I get about two hours from the initial fire in
> my NB Silver. About every hour after that. Eight to ten lbs of lump total
> to cook a 6 - 8 lb butt and a few slabs of ribs. Definitely not a WSM,
> but not to shabby either. I can get a couple of butts and 8 racks of
> spares in this guy if I use rib racks and use no more fuel.
>
> --
> Brick (Paddling ever slower)

I too have a CBSS, and I like it, for the most part. When I was
assembling it, I cur a piece of flashing to act as a gasket between the
firebox and the cook chamber. That piece of flashing also has a flap
to block radiant heat aimed at food on the grate close to the cook
chamber. I too dropped falshing from the chimney to the grate, and I
filled the bottom of the cook chamber with foil wrapped bricks to
improve heat retention.

I've put 9 racks of babybacks in there, barely. I used two rib racks
(4 each) and sandwicjed one more rack o backs between the two sets of
rib racks. One thing I find is that I have a large temperature
differential (about 60 degrees) from about 6 inches into the cook
cahmber to where the chimney is. However, I always have my damper
nearly shut. Perhaps the right thing to do would be to adjust my
flashig gasket down some more, and open the draft more.

Running the way I do, I get about 3-4 hours out of my initial load of
charcoal, which is about 4 cold chimneys and 1/2 chimney hot. My
biggest gripes are the temp differential (although its not such a bad
thing if I'm doing chicken at 275 and ribs at 225) and the side firebox
door. Mine is now warped and I have about 1/8 air gap around the lower
corner on the side away from the hinges.