Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Sub-Zero Smoking

I'm just about out of pulled pork, and would like to make some more.

Has anybody fired up a WSM in subzero weather? I'm in Northern Wisconsin,
and it's 3 below right now. It may go up a few degrees, but it's more
likely that we'll go down even further.

I've got plenty of Wicked Good charcoal, but have never tried to use it in
such cold weather. I really don't want to run out of pulled pork!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I'm just about out of pulled pork, and would like to make
some more.

Has anybody fired up a WSM in subzero weather? I'm in
Northern Wisconsin,
and it's 3 below right now. It may go up a few degrees, but
it's more
likely that we'll go down even further.

I've got plenty of Wicked Good charcoal, but have never
tried to use it in
such cold weather. I really don't want to run out of pulled
pork!

Do it! I run my WSM in NH all winter. I think my coldest
cook was about 5 above. The thing I have played with is the
water pan.
I usually run my WSM with sand in the pan. In real cold
weather this seems to be a bit too much of a heat sink, so I
just foil the empty pan.
Keep it out of the wind and go for it!

DavidG-

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DavidG wrote:

> Do it! I run my WSM in NH all winter. I think my coldest
> cook was about 5 above. The thing I have played with is the
> water pan.
> I usually run my WSM with sand in the pan. In real cold
> weather this seems to be a bit too much of a heat sink, so I
> just foil the empty pan.
> Keep it out of the wind and go for it!

Agreed. I run mine all winter here in New York state. The
biggest factor is the wind as David said. If it's a calm
day, no problem. If it's windy put something by the WSM to
block the wind. Of course it helps if you have a wireless
thermometer so you can monitor the meat and grate temps from
the comfort of your couch. I'm really gonna break down and
install a Guru on my WSM one of these days...

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dennis Spexet" > wrote in message
> I'm just about out of pulled pork, and would like to make some more.
>
> Has anybody fired up a WSM in subzero weather? I'm in Northern Wisconsin,
> and it's 3 below right now. It may go up a few degrees, but it's more
> likely that we'll go down even further.
>
> I've got plenty of Wicked Good charcoal, but have never tried to use it in
> such cold weather. I really don't want to run out of pulled pork!

Well I'm right in the middle of Wisconsin and have used wsm's often in the
dead of winter--all ya got to do is break the wind(I use a 55gal drum) like
this http://static.flickr.com/12/94322071_d7ad6d4fd5.jpg
If memroy is right there were 12 butts on those WSM's that feb nite. FWIW
now I use Backwoods Smokers for the cold nights

Where do ya find Wicked good Charcoal in Wisconsin??
Buzz---in Wood County, Wisc

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks for all your replies. It's 17 below right now (with 5 mph wind) as I
type this, but I'll get going later today no matter what the temperature is!

I've never seen Wicked Good charcoal around here (Burnett County,
Wisconsin). I buy mine from www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com.

"2fatbbq" > wrote in message

> "Dennis Spexet" > wrote in message
>> I'm just about out of pulled pork, and would like to make some more.
>>
>> Has anybody fired up a WSM in subzero weather? I'm in Northern
>> Wisconsin, and it's 3 below right now. It may go up a few degrees, but
>> it's more likely that we'll go down even further.
>>
>> I've got plenty of Wicked Good charcoal, but have never tried to use it
>> in such cold weather. I really don't want to run out of pulled pork!

> Well I'm right in the middle of Wisconsin and have used wsm's often in the
> dead of winter--all ya got to do is break the wind(I use a 55gal drum)
> like this http://static.flickr.com/12/94322071_d7ad6d4fd5.jpg
> If memroy is right there were 12 butts on those WSM's that feb nite. FWIW
> now I use Backwoods Smokers for the cold nights
>
> Where do ya find Wicked good Charcoal in Wisconsin??
> Buzz---in Wood County, Wisc

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dennis Spexet wrote:
> Thanks for all your replies. It's 17 below right now (with 5 mph wind) as I
> type this, but I'll get going later today no matter what the temperature is!

Let us know how you make out.

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dennis Spexet" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all your replies. It's 17 below right now (with 5 mph wind) as
> I type this, but I'll get going later today no matter what the temperature
> is!
>
> I've never seen Wicked Good charcoal around here (Burnett County,
> Wisconsin). I buy mine from www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com.

about the same temp here--

http://static.flickr.com/38/101166985_4102a7e408.jpg\

Still have a couple bags of that Wicked Good stuff that buddy from Boston
gave me at the Jack last year--sure do like that product--do you buy a whole
pallet at once?? Like that corner of Wisconsin---just don't seem to get
that direction much

Buzz

> "2fatbbq" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dennis Spexet" > wrote in message
>>> I'm just about out of pulled pork, and would like to make some more.
>>>
>>> Has anybody fired up a WSM in subzero weather? I'm in Northern
>>> Wisconsin, and it's 3 below right now. It may go up a few degrees, but
>>> it's more likely that we'll go down even further.
>>>
>>> I've got plenty of Wicked Good charcoal, but have never tried to use it
>>> in such cold weather. I really don't want to run out of pulled pork!

>> Well I'm right in the middle of Wisconsin and have used wsm's often in
>> the dead of winter--all ya got to do is break the wind(I use a 55gal
>> drum) like this http://static.flickr.com/12/94322071_d7ad6d4fd5.jpg
>> If memroy is right there were 12 butts on those WSM's that feb nite.
>> FWIW now I use Backwoods Smokers for the cold nights
>>
>> Where do ya find Wicked good Charcoal in Wisconsin??
>> Buzz---in Wood County, Wisc

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I've been buying Wicked Good in the 3-bag boxes, just to try it out.

My next purchase will be a full pallet. I really love the stuff, for both
BBQ and grilling. I've had great results with briskets and pulled pork, and
New York Strips come out absolutely wonderful.

What's smoking? BigBadBubba Barbecue 26 11-12-2010 02:38 AM
smoking GregS Beer 21 14-05-2007 12:20 AM
Smoking Salmo Barbecue 4 13-08-2006 05:50 PM
Tea & Smoking Laura General 0 18-11-2003 12:26 PM