FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sub-Zero Smoking (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/83358-sub-zero-smoking.html)

Dennis Spexet 17-02-2006 01:17 PM

Sub-Zero Smoking

I'm just about out of pulled pork, and would like to make some more.

Has anybody fired up a WSM in subzero weather? I'm in Northern Wisconsin,
and it's 3 below right now. It may go up a few degrees, but it's more
likely that we'll go down even further.

I've got plenty of Wicked Good charcoal, but have never tried to use it in
such cold weather. I really don't want to run out of pulled pork!

DavidG[_1_] 17-02-2006 01:44 PM

Sub-Zero Smoking

I'm just about out of pulled pork, and would like to make
some more.

Has anybody fired up a WSM in subzero weather? I'm in
Northern Wisconsin,
and it's 3 below right now. It may go up a few degrees, but
it's more
likely that we'll go down even further.

I've got plenty of Wicked Good charcoal, but have never
tried to use it in
such cold weather. I really don't want to run out of pulled
pork!

Do it! I run my WSM in NH all winter. I think my coldest
cook was about 5 above. The thing I have played with is the
water pan.
I usually run my WSM with sand in the pan. In real cold
weather this seems to be a bit too much of a heat sink, so I
just foil the empty pan.
Keep it out of the wind and go for it!

DavidG-

http://www.usenet.com

Steve Calvin 17-02-2006 03:01 PM

Sub-Zero Smoking

DavidG wrote:

> Do it! I run my WSM in NH all winter. I think my coldest
> cook was about 5 above. The thing I have played with is the
> water pan.
> I usually run my WSM with sand in the pan. In real cold
> weather this seems to be a bit too much of a heat sink, so I
> just foil the empty pan.
> Keep it out of the wind and go for it!

Agreed. I run mine all winter here in New York state. The
biggest factor is the wind as David said. If it's a calm
day, no problem. If it's windy put something by the WSM to
block the wind. Of course it helps if you have a wireless
thermometer so you can monitor the meat and grate temps from
the comfort of your couch. I'm really gonna break down and
install a Guru on my WSM one of these days...

--
Steve

2fatbbq 18-02-2006 03:01 AM

Sub-Zero Smoking

"Dennis Spexet" > wrote in message
> I'm just about out of pulled pork, and would like to make some more.
>
> Has anybody fired up a WSM in subzero weather? I'm in Northern Wisconsin,
> and it's 3 below right now. It may go up a few degrees, but it's more
> likely that we'll go down even further.
>
> I've got plenty of Wicked Good charcoal, but have never tried to use it in
> such cold weather. I really don't want to run out of pulled pork!

Well I'm right in the middle of Wisconsin and have used wsm's often in the
dead of winter--all ya got to do is break the wind(I use a 55gal drum) like
this http://static.flickr.com/12/94322071_d7ad6d4fd5.jpg
If memroy is right there were 12 butts on those WSM's that feb nite. FWIW
now I use Backwoods Smokers for the cold nights

Where do ya find Wicked good Charcoal in Wisconsin??
Buzz---in Wood County, Wisc

Dennis Spexet 18-02-2006 09:28 AM

Sub-Zero Smoking

Thanks for all your replies. It's 17 below right now (with 5 mph wind) as I
type this, but I'll get going later today no matter what the temperature is!

I've never seen Wicked Good charcoal around here (Burnett County,
Wisconsin). I buy mine from www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com.

Steve Calvin 18-02-2006 03:18 PM

Sub-Zero Smoking

Dennis Spexet wrote:
> Thanks for all your replies. It's 17 below right now (with 5 mph wind) as I
> type this, but I'll get going later today no matter what the temperature is!

Let us know how you make out.

--
Steve

2fatbbq 18-02-2006 04:26 PM

Sub-Zero Smoking

"Dennis Spexet" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all your replies. It's 17 below right now (with 5 mph wind) as
> I type this, but I'll get going later today no matter what the temperature
> is!
>
> I've never seen Wicked Good charcoal around here (Burnett County,
> Wisconsin). I buy mine from www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com.

about the same temp here--

http://static.flickr.com/38/101166985_4102a7e408.jpg\

Still have a couple bags of that Wicked Good stuff that buddy from Boston
gave me at the Jack last year--sure do like that product--do you buy a whole
pallet at once?? Like that corner of Wisconsin---just don't seem to get
that direction much

Buzz

Dennis Spexet 19-02-2006 04:19 AM

Sub-Zero Smoking

I've been buying Wicked Good in the 3-bag boxes, just to try it out.

My next purchase will be a full pallet. I really love the stuff, for both
BBQ and grilling. I've had great results with briskets and pulled pork, and
New York Strips come out absolutely wonderful.