Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Any Good Smoked Fish Recipes?

I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to smoke
some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

Thx,

- A -

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I am not sure what is the best wood.
Like asking what is the best brand name car.
I use apple wood most of the time for fish.
Mesquite for meats
As seasoning, I usually just season with garlic powder, onion powder and a
mix of lemon pepper powder.
This I use as my meal right after smoking.

For longer than two days storage (does not last longer than that, gets
eaten/snacked before that !), I brine fish.

HTH

"Alan S" > wrote in message
m...
>What wood is best for smoking fish?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Alan S wrote:

> I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to smoke
> some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?
>
> Thx,
>
> - A -

I'm a big fan of alder for fish. Second choice would be
apple or cherry. Lighter smoke flavor is the way I do
it.

I like shark cooked to about 140-145 F internal. As high
as 150 F is OK. I have a few dinner guests who like it
cooked a little longer than I do.

Good luck with it.

--
Reg -*- email: RegForte at oy dot com -*- rm -rf /bin/laden

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
m...
> Alan S wrote:
>
>> I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to
>> smoke some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking
>> fish?
>>
>> Thx,
>>
>> - A -
>>

> I'm a big fan of alder for fish. Second choice would be
> apple or cherry. Lighter smoke flavor is the way I do
> it.
>
> I like shark cooked to about 140-145 F internal. As high
> as 150 F is OK. I have a few dinner guests who like it
> cooked a little longer than I do.
>
> Good luck with it.
>
> --
> Reg -*- email: RegForte at oy dot com -*- rm -rf /bin/laden

Since you are both advocating lighter woods for fish, does any one know
where to get Apple, Alder or Cherry in Central Texas?

Thx Again,

- A -

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Alan S wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>>I'm a big fan of alder for fish. Second choice would be
>>apple or cherry. Lighter smoke flavor is the way I do
>>it.
>>
>>I like shark cooked to about 140-145 F internal. As high
>>as 150 F is OK. I have a few dinner guests who like it
>>cooked a little longer than I do.
>>
>>Good luck with it.

> Since you are both advocating lighter woods for fish, does any one know
> where to get Apple, Alder or Cherry in Central Texas?
>
> Thx Again,

BBQs Galore has it

<http://www.bbqgalore.com/retail/store_locator_results.bbq?state=TX>

--
Reg -*- email: RegForte at oy dot com -*- rm -rf /bin/laden

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
> Alan S wrote:
>
>> "Reg" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>>
>>>I'm a big fan of alder for fish. Second choice would be
>>>apple or cherry. Lighter smoke flavor is the way I do
>>>it.
>>>
>>>I like shark cooked to about 140-145 F internal. As high
>>>as 150 F is OK. I have a few dinner guests who like it
>>>cooked a little longer than I do.
>>>
>>>Good luck with it.

>> Since you are both advocating lighter woods for fish, does any one know
>> where to get Apple, Alder or Cherry in Central Texas?
>>
>> Thx Again,

> BBQs Galore has it
>
> <http://www.bbqgalore.com/retail/store_locator_results.bbq?state=TX>
>
> --
> Reg -*- email: RegForte at oy dot com -*- rm -rf /bin/laden

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Alan S wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Alan S wrote:
> >
> >> I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to
> >> smoke some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking
> >> fish?
> >>
> >> Thx,
> >>
> >> - A -
> >>

> > I'm a big fan of alder for fish. Second choice would be
> > apple or cherry. Lighter smoke flavor is the way I do
> > it.
> >
> > I like shark cooked to about 140-145 F internal. As high
> > as 150 F is OK. I have a few dinner guests who like it
> > cooked a little longer than I do.
> >
> > Good luck with it.
> >
> > --
> > Reg -*- email: RegForte at oy dot com -*- rm -rf /bin/laden

> Since you are both advocating lighter woods for fish, does any one know
> where to get Apple, Alder or Cherry in Central Texas?
>
> Thx Again,
>
> - A -

Try BBQ Galore. They have a three plank pack (about 6 inches by 1211) for
about $12/pack. HEB also has some, but theirs is usually cedar.

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BTW, I mentioned brine for fish to be smoked.
For Justin Case:

water, 2 qt total
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup coarse kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
4 bay leaves

In big sauce pan, add 1 qt water to a low boil.
Add all the ingredients except the remaining water.
Cook on low heat until all is melted.
Take off heat and add 1 qt really cold water.
Cool in fridge at least overnight, until really cold.

Add the raw, cleaned fish, and put lots of ice on top of the fish to keep it
under the brine.

Then smoke as required.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Indo Ruwet" > wrote in message
> BTW, I mentioned brine for fish to be smoked.
> For Justin Case:
>
> water, 2 qt total
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 3/4 cup coarse kosher salt
> 1 1/2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
> 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
> 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
> 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
> 4 bay leaves
>
> In big sauce pan, add 1 qt water to a low boil.
> Add all the ingredients except the remaining water.
> Cook on low heat until all is melted.
> Take off heat and add 1 qt really cold water.
> Cool in fridge at least overnight, until really cold.
>
> Add the raw, cleaned fish, and put lots of ice on top of the fish to keep
> it under the brine.
>
> Then smoke as required.

Thank you! I will do this tonight. If anyone else has any good brine
recipes for fish I would like to know what they are.

Thx again!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Alan S wrote:

> I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to smoke
> some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?
>
> Thx,
>
> - A -

I use a small piece of hickory and a few larger chunks of apple with
excellent results. Skip mesquite for fish (or any food, IMHO).

A good brine of salt and brown sugar and appropriate spices is just as
important as the preparation.

If you have any left over, try a smoked fish dip. Great stuff! I'll
dig up a recipe I use that is cream cheese based if you are interested.
Many others use mayonnaise. It's a matter of taste.

Dan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:29:20 GMT, "Alan S" >
> wrote:
>
>>Thank you! I will do this tonight. If anyone else has any good brine
>>recipes for fish I would like to know what they are.

> I just use a salt and pepper brine, without rinsing. That one
> looks a little too sweet for me, but that's a matter of personal
> preference. I don't like sugar in most of my brines.
>
> -sw

What I would add, and IIRC you've made similar comments,
is that a lot of the ingredients you see in many brine
recipes don't really have any effect. Adding say, a
tablespoon of herb to a gallon of brine won't have
any effect on the final result. You won't be able
to taste it.

--
Reg -*- email: RegForte at oy dot com -*- rm -rf /bin/laden

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Alan S wrote:
>
>> I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to
>> smoke some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking
>> fish?
>>
>> Thx,
>>
>> - A -
>>

> I use a small piece of hickory and a few larger chunks of apple with
> excellent results. Skip mesquite for fish (or any food, IMHO).
>
> A good brine of salt and brown sugar and appropriate spices is just as
> important as the preparation.
>
> If you have any left over, try a smoked fish dip. Great stuff! I'll dig
> up a recipe I use that is cream cheese based if you are interested. Many
> others use mayonnaise. It's a matter of taste.
>
> Dan

Yes I am interested, I have a lot of fish to cook. I agree with you about
mesquite for the most part, sometimes I'll use 1 large, well seasoned log
sometime during the cooking of a brisket but I have had that stuff tar up my
pit something fierce before so I don't use it much. I like Hickory, Oak and
Pecan. I was going to make a joke about using landscape timber but I got to
thinking that there might be some dumbass down the road that might find this
post and try it. I am going to buy some apple this evening and smoke my fish
with apple and pecan.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Alan S wrote:

> "Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>Alan S wrote:
>>

>>>I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to
>>>smoke some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking
>>>fish?
>>>
>>>Thx,
>>>
>>>- A -
>>>

>>I use a small piece of hickory and a few larger chunks of apple with
>>excellent results. Skip mesquite for fish (or any food, IMHO).
>>
>>A good brine of salt and brown sugar and appropriate spices is just as
>>important as the preparation.
>>
>>If you have any left over, try a smoked fish dip. Great stuff! I'll dig
>>up a recipe I use that is cream cheese based if you are interested. Many
>>others use mayonnaise. It's a matter of taste.
>>
>>Dan

> Yes I am interested, I have a lot of fish to cook. I agree with you about
> mesquite for the most part, sometimes I'll use 1 large, well seasoned log
> sometime during the cooking of a brisket but I have had that stuff tar up my
> pit something fierce before so I don't use it much. I like Hickory, Oak and
> Pecan. I was going to make a joke about using landscape timber but I got to
> thinking that there might be some dumbass down the road that might find this
> post and try it. I am going to buy some apple this evening and smoke my fish
> with apple and pecan.

Here it is...

1 (8oz) cream cheese - softened
2 oz flaked or chopped smoked fish (I don't weigh it but I'm sure I add
more than that!)
1 teaspoon lemon juice (a few drops if concentrated)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (I use Spice World - drained)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 dash ground pepper (two dashed for me and coarse is better)

It mixes up very well in one of those mini food processors and produces
a good spread for crackers.

The original recipe includes 1/4 teaspoon "seafood seasoning". I don't
do the grocery shopping and I have never heard of that. Sounds as bad
as "liquid smoke" to me but I might be wrong. I have made the dip a
dozen times without it and it's my favorite homemade recipe.

Enjoy!

Dan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Alan S wrote:
>
>> "Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
>> link.net...

>>>I use a small piece of hickory and a few larger chunks of apple with
>>>excellent results. Skip mesquite for fish (or any food, IMHO).
>>>
>>>A good brine of salt and brown sugar and appropriate spices is just as
>>>important as the preparation.
>>>
>>>If you have any left over, try a smoked fish dip. Great stuff! I'll dig
>>>up a recipe I use that is cream cheese based if you are interested. Many
>>>others use mayonnaise. It's a matter of taste.
>>>
>>>Dan

>> Yes I am interested, I have a lot of fish to cook. I agree with you about
>> mesquite for the most part, sometimes I'll use 1 large, well seasoned log
>> sometime during the cooking of a brisket but I have had that stuff tar up
>> my pit something fierce before so I don't use it much. I like Hickory,
>> Oak and Pecan. I was going to make a joke about using landscape timber
>> but I got to thinking that there might be some dumbass down the road that
>> might find this post and try it. I am going to buy some apple this
>> evening and smoke my fish with apple and pecan.

> Here it is...
>
> 1 (8oz) cream cheese - softened
> 2 oz flaked or chopped smoked fish (I don't weigh it but I'm sure I add
> more than that!)
> 1 teaspoon lemon juice (a few drops if concentrated)
> 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (I use Spice World - drained)
> 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
> 1 dash ground pepper (two dashed for me and coarse is better)
>
> It mixes up very well in one of those mini food processors and produces a
> good spread for crackers.
>
> The original recipe includes 1/4 teaspoon "seafood seasoning". I don't do
> the grocery shopping and I have never heard of that. Sounds as bad as
> "liquid smoke" to me but I might be wrong. I have made the dip a dozen
> times without it and it's my favorite homemade recipe.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Dan

Thanks! The fish I smoked on Friday got gobbled down, I will try this soon.

- A -

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Alan S wrote:

> "Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>Alan S wrote:
>>

>>>"Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...

>>>Yes I am interested, I have a lot of fish to cook. I agree with you about
>>>mesquite for the most part, sometimes I'll use 1 large, well seasoned log
>>>sometime during the cooking of a brisket but I have had that stuff tar up
>>>my pit something fierce before so I don't use it much. I like Hickory,
>>>Oak and Pecan. I was going to make a joke about using landscape timber
>>>but I got to thinking that there might be some dumbass down the road that
>>>might find this post and try it. I am going to buy some apple this
>>>evening and smoke my fish with apple and pecan.

>>Here it is...
>>
>>1 (8oz) cream cheese - softened
>>2 oz flaked or chopped smoked fish (I don't weigh it but I'm sure I add
>>more than that!)
>>1 teaspoon lemon juice (a few drops if concentrated)
>>1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
>>1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (I use Spice World - drained)
>>1/2 teaspoon onion powder
>>1 dash ground pepper (two dashed for me and coarse is better)
>>
>>It mixes up very well in one of those mini food processors and produces a
>>good spread for crackers.
>>
>>The original recipe includes 1/4 teaspoon "seafood seasoning". I don't do
>>the grocery shopping and I have never heard of that. Sounds as bad as
>>"liquid smoke" to me but I might be wrong. I have made the dip a dozen
>>times without it and it's my favorite homemade recipe.
>>
>>Enjoy!
>>
>>Dan
>>

> Thanks! The fish I smoked on Friday got gobbled down, I will try this soon.
>
> - A -

That a good sign - you got the brine right the first time. Now you just
have to remember how you prepared it!

Once we tried the dip, we ate more of it that way. I really depends on
how much fish I have each time. It's also easy to carry into the office
to share with the staff.

Carr's crackers are good. Flatbread with "everything" is the best. The
local supermarket carries them both in my area.

Dan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Are you (collectively) describing low-temp smoking (i.e. 140 deg or
so), or the higher-temp style (210-225 deg)?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:
> Are you (collectively) describing low-temp smoking (i.e. 140 deg or
> so), or the higher-temp style (210-225 deg)?

Someone who knows better can correct me, but I thought cold smoking was
under 100F.

Matthew (that's the way my grandfather did it)

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:

> Are you (collectively) describing low-temp smoking (i.e. 140 deg or
> so), or the higher-temp style (210-225 deg)?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz

The latter for me. Thick filets might make the difference. They are
large, sal****er fish here...

Dan