Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Woogeroo®

Default bbq forum websites

Hiya folks,
what are some good bbq forum websites? It seems this newsgroup has
really died down over the past year or two... so I figured you guys
went somewhere.

-W

-Woogeroo

<- remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Glenn

This NG has died down because over the years we have exchanged all the
information there is and now know everything about BBQ.

Woogeroo® wrote:

> Hiya folks,
> what are some good bbq forum websites? It seems this newsgroup has
> really died down over the past year or two... so I figured you guys
> went somewhere.
>
> -W
>
> -Woogeroo

> <- remove NOBS to send email.
>
> Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

> smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:02:24 GMT, Glenn > wrote:

>This NG has died down because over the years we have exchanged all the
>information there is and now know everything about BBQ.

There's always the weather to talk about, top-poster.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg

Woogeroo® wrote:

> Hiya folks,
> what are some good bbq forum websites? It seems this newsgroup has
> really died down over the past year or two... so I figured you guys
> went somewhere.

This is one of the best around

http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Randy

Woogeroo® wrote:

> Hiya folks,
> what are some good bbq forum websites? It seems this newsgroup has
> really died down over the past year or two... so I figured you guys
> went somewhere.
>
> -W
>
> -Woogeroo

> <- remove NOBS to send email.
>
> Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

> smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

The forum at biggreenegg.com is very active. -RP

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent

People that have a need to read bottom posts can't remember the post above,
or their still using dialup. Kevin, you need to learn to concentrate.
The reason this NG is dead is that Kevin S. Wilson and the Kevin look-alikes
are lurking in the background, or they have disappeared. There is nothing
here except an occasional newbie question. The same thing happened on
ba.food when Meg Worley moved from Stanford to S. Cal.
Now all we have is Sheldon, on rec.food.cooking, and even he has withered
away. Thank God that S. Wertz occasional surfaces.
Kent, President, Geezer Power, a california not for profit.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg

Glenn wrote:

> This NG has died down because over the years we have exchanged all the
> information there is and now know everything about BBQ.

Excellent analysis. I think there's some truth to this.

Though a lot of weight has been given to other reasons (death
due to excessive trolling/flaming, etc), I think these are
secondary to the real issue, which is that BBQ is ultimately
a very narrow subject.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kilikini

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:03:39 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
> >Glenn wrote:
> >
> >> This NG has died down because over the years we have exchanged all the
> >> information there is and now know everything about BBQ.

> >Excellent analysis. I think there's some truth to this.

> We stopped learning and left. The current traffic doesn't invite
> any new posters like it used to.
>
> -sw

There's a lot of truth to this, Steve.

I originally "discovered" my husband through this group about 4 years ago
and then discovered him in another (ABF). He barely lurks in here anymore.
It's just too hostile. Well, at least I got *something* out of this group.
<g> And, I'm happy as all get out. First thing that I did right in my
entire life.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:15:27 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I originally "discovered" my husband through this group about 4 years ago
>and then discovered him in another (ABF). He barely lurks in here anymore.
>It's just too hostile.

Oh, my. I believe my irony meter just hit 11.

Google on your husband's handle (one of many, anyway) and the phrase
"should've broke your ****ing arm."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:50:58 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>My only contribution
>here recently has been to flame Kevin and "Talk about the
>weather".

When do you intend to begin doing the former?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:15:27 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >I originally "discovered" my husband through this group about 4 years ago
> >and then discovered him in another (ABF). He barely lurks in here anymore.
> >It's just too hostile.

> Oh, my. I believe my irony meter just hit 11.
>
> Google on your husband's handle (one of many, anyway) and the phrase
> "should've broke your ****ing arm."

How many times have you done this?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Yep - I got "burned out" after a year or two and pretty soon there
> wasn't much of anything new to talk about (except OT stuff).
>
> While it's still good to share your knowledge, it's nice to be
> able to expand your own knowledge at the same time. Which is how
> it is for us tetchiest in the workplace - stop learning, stop
> working.
>
> We stopped learning and left. The current traffic doesn't invite
> any new posters like it used to.

That's it exactly. Any forum requires new blood, and afb
failed to attract new people. Plus there's been a consolidation
of BBQ related forums over the past few years, and afb was
one of the losers.

It may come back though. I've seen it happen before.

ObBBQ: Ah. Why bother

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> I think the reasons AFB has died down a
>
> 1. Kevin/Flame Wars/Trolls

Yep, big part of it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

On 18-Jan-2006, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:03:39 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
> >Glenn wrote:
> >
> >> This NG has died down because over the years we have exchanged all the
> >> information there is and now know everything about BBQ.

Yes it is true that we "The old timers" know pretty much as much as
we 'want' to know about barbecue. However, newbies keep cropping
up as that is the way of life in this universe. And in case someone
hasn't noticed, there is a continuous barrage of posts about what grill/
smoker should one buy.

> >Excellent analysis. I think there's some truth to this.

> Yep - I got "burned out" after a year or two and pretty soon there
> wasn't much of anything new to talk about (except OT stuff).

Well, maybe it's time to lurk and give something back from time to
time.

> While it's still good to share your knowledge, it's nice to be
> able to expand your own knowledge at the same time. Which is how
> it is for us tetchiest in the workplace - stop learning, stop
> working.
>
> We stopped learning and left. The current traffic doesn't invite
> any new posters like it used to.
>
> -sw

I download AFB and ABF kinda interspersed. I respond to both. It's
true that a few (read just two or three) posters corroded the Ng, the
basic posters were and are worthy of reading. I don't respond to the
crappy posts because for the most part, I never see them. There are
only 2 entrees in my kilfile. That pretty well takes care of it.

You want to know who they are? They are Kevin S. Wilson and Cal.
I don't want to read anything they have to say or anything somebody
might post in response.

I will continue to read AFB because newbies come in there.
Those of us that give a shit will continue to respond.

Brick

--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
C_S

Is that why? Heck, I thought it was just my killfile working.

"Glenn" > wrote in message
. ..
> This NG has died down because over the years we have exchanged all the
> information there is and now know everything about BBQ.
>

> Woogeroo® wrote:
>>
>> Hiya folks,
>> what are some good bbq forum websites? It seems this newsgroup has
>> really died down over the past year or two... so I figured you guys
>> went somewhere.
>>
>> -W -Woogeroo

>> <- remove NOBS to send
>> email. ------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

>> smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
C_S

Is that why? Heck, I thought it was just my killfile working.

"Glenn" > wrote in message
. ..
> This NG has died down because over the years we have exchanged all the
> information there is and now know everything about BBQ.
>

> Woogeroo® wrote:
>>
>> Hiya folks,
>> what are some good bbq forum websites? It seems this newsgroup has
>> really died down over the past year or two... so I figured you guys
>> went somewhere.
>>
>> -W -Woogeroo

>> <- remove NOBS to send
>> email. ------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

>> smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kilikini

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:15:27 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >I originally "discovered" my husband through this group about 4 years ago
> >and then discovered him in another (ABF). He barely lurks in here

anymore.
> >It's just too hostile.

> Oh, my. I believe my irony meter just hit 11.
>
> Google on your husband's handle

I google my husband's handle all the time, thank you very much! <g>

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Big Jim

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> I think the reasons AFB has died down a
>>
>> 1. Kevin/Flame Wars/Trolls

> Yep, big part of it.

-- Ed has seen this on a couple of other lists.
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
John O

>> I think the reasons AFB has died down a
>>
>> 1. Kevin/Flame Wars/Trolls

> Yep, big part of it.

There's this other thing, which seems to be the culture of the group. Mind,
I'm not passing judgement, just stating my observations...

Newbies are not treated with respect when they show up. BBQ in this group
has a very specific definition, and very few people I have ever met in
person know of this definition. There's precious little tolerance for views
other than the dogma in the FAQ. So when a poor unsuspecting slob (otherwise
known as a new recruit) wanders in here talking about water and ribs,
grilling, briquettes, or god-forbid happens to top post, he's (haven't seen
many she's, other than kili) beaten to a pulp then asked to come back. After
their beating they see the crap and leave.

And I will pass one judgement: the netcop thing is stupid, and a complete
waste of energy. This group is *by far* the most anal about posting sequence
I've ever seen, in my ten years of usenet. One or two individuals DO have
the power to make newbies completely disappear. Keep it up for a while, and
natural attrition with a lack of growth combine to kill groups. Playing a
group for personal entertainment? Maybe a psychologist out there has a good
definition for that bs. I call it sick.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:53:17 GMT, "John O"
> wrote:

>Playing a
>group for personal entertainment? Maybe a psychologist out there has a good
>definition for that bs.

There is a term for it: a Joke (tm).

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
John O

> There is a term for it: a Joke (tm).

When only the joke teller laughs, and the teller repeats that same joke over
and over to identical results, it becomes something else.

I think I'm going to go get a brisket sandwich for lunch from Piggin' and
Grinnin'. http://piggin-n-grinnin.com/

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:34:05 GMT, "John O"
> wrote:

>> There is a term for it: a Joke (tm).
>>

>When only the joke teller laughs,

Then we're talking about two different things. I thought you were
talking about trolling, an activity known to entertain large numbers
of people simultaneously.

>and the teller repeats that same joke over
>and over to identical results, it becomes something else.

Same joke? Identical results? Now I know you're talking about
something else altogether.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jack Schidt®

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:53:17 GMT, "John O"
> > wrote:
>> Maybe a psychologist out there has a good definition for that bs. I call
>> it sick.

> Kevin's a classic example of a narcissist. He suffers from
> Classic Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Interesting. Back in the day, we just called people like that 'assholes'.

Ain't science grand?

Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
John O

>(I usually charge $200/hr for these evaluations)

Very interesting stuff, thanks for posting it. Your check is in the mail.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Woogeroo®

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:48:41 -0700, Randy >
wrote:

>The forum at biggreenegg.com is very active. -RP

that is true...

-W

-Woogeroo

<- remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Woogeroo®

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:58:17 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>This is one of the best around
>
>http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/

Thank you...

-W

-Woogeroo

<- remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kilikini

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:32:30 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >I google my husband's handle all the time, thank you very much! <g>

> <smirk> Good comeback.
>
> -sw

Thank you, Sir. :~)

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Default User

kilikini wrote:

> I originally "discovered" my husband through this group about 4 years
> ago and then discovered him in another (ABF). He barely lurks in
> here anymore. It's just too hostile.

Well, I don't want to get into a contentious discussion on this, but
your dear hubby has been a major major player in creating this
"hostile" atmosphere. Along with Kevin, of course. That's why the both
are resident in my killfile.

It's the natural order of all newsgroups that the "regulars" get to the
point where they've pretty well said all they have to say. For a group
to continue to thrive, new members need to come in, and yeah that means
going over the same ground again and again.

With the flame wars that the regulars, to large extent, either engage
in or cheer on the participants it becomes a rather unwelcoming
atmosphere. A high-traffic newsgroup can absorb some of that without it
dominating the landscape, so to speak, but a small group like this has
trouble. It's very easy to come in and find 75% or more of the posts
are from flamewars. The "signal-to-noise" ratio is not good.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On 19 Jan 2006 21:00:39 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>kilikini wrote:
>

>> I originally "discovered" my husband through this group about 4 years
>> ago and then discovered him in another (ABF). He barely lurks in
>> here anymore. It's just too hostile.

>Well, I don't want to get into a contentious discussion on this, but
>your dear hubby has been a major major player in creating this
>"hostile" atmosphere.

Precisely the point I made earlier, which she chose to ignore.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
cl

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:32:30 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >I google my husband's handle all the time, thank you very much! <g>

> <smirk> Good comeback.

^^^^

please

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D. Winsor

"John O" > wrote in message
et...

> There's this other thing, which seems to be the culture of the group.
> Mind, I'm not passing judgement, just stating my observations...

I agree with everything you've said. I knew nothing about barbeque when I
found this group because it doesn't exist where I've lived. I started
smoking food in an ECB, found this group, tried to ask questions and
contribute, found a lot of very vocal and obnoxious people here, shut myself
up and used google quite a bit while I lurked the golden nuggets of info
here and now I'm doing some pretty passable barbeque.

This is not a social group. There's a huge amount of arrogance here, but
there's also a lot of experience journaled through google. This place is an
invaluable resouce, but there ain't more than a coupla handfull who can see
beyond the trolls and the "clique". The "clique" is is the most laughable
because they actually act more like a pile of high school girls than the
hairy arsed men they are. From what I've seen in the past year and a half
the clique is more responsible for the troll behavior than the constantly
complained about KSM.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:22:39 GMT, "D. Winsor"
> wrote:

> The "clique" is is the most laughable
>because they actually act more like a pile of high school girls than the
>hairy arsed men they are. From what I've seen in the past year and a half
>the clique is more responsible for the troll behavior than the constantly
>complained about KSM.

^^^

Is that a Smokey Mountain manufactured by Klose?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D. Winsor

"Brick" > wrote in message
> Brick
>

> --
> Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)

And that's faster than most... You and Dave Bugg are the two I've learned
the most from here. We've exchanged hardly at all because of Dave's
political rantings is enough to make anybody gun shy. It just ain't worth
piping up here... I know I keep posting but I'd rather go searching for the
info than get involved here.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D. Winsor

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> Is that a Smokey Mountain manufactured by Klose?

KSW, but I've graduated to a WSM since starting to read here. Contray to
all the anal proofing and netiquette here, I've worked as a proof reader.
You guys get blog with no process. That's all usenet is worth.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:44:43 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 18-Jan-2006, Steve Wertz > wrote:

>Yes it is true that we "The old timers" know pretty much as much as
>we 'want' to know about barbecue. However, newbies keep cropping
>up as that is the way of life in this universe. And in case someone
>hasn't noticed, there is a continuous barrage of posts about what grill/
>smoker should one buy.
>

>> >Excellent analysis. I think there's some truth to this.

>> Yep - I got "burned out" after a year or two and pretty soon there
>> wasn't much of anything new to talk about (except OT stuff).

>Well, maybe it's time to lurk and give something back from time to
>time.
>

>> While it's still good to share your knowledge, it's nice to be
>> able to expand your own knowledge at the same time. Which is how
>> it is for us tetchiest in the workplace - stop learning, stop
>> working.
>>
>> We stopped learning and left. The current traffic doesn't invite
>> any new posters like it used to.
>>
>> -sw

>I download AFB and ABF kinda interspersed.
>You want to know who they are? They are Kevin S. Wilson and Cal.
>I don't want to read anything they have to say or anything somebody
>might post in response.
>
>I will continue to read AFB because newbies come in there.
>Those of us that give a shit will continue to respond.
>
>Brick

I agree with you, Brick, and pretty well do like wise.
There's a similar phenomenon on the Kamado Forum [ not flame wars],
where the same inevitable questions get posted a yet another excited
Noob gets on.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:22:39 GMT, "D. Winsor"
> wrote:

>"John O" > wrote in message
. net...

>> There's this other thing, which seems to be the culture of the group.
>> Mind, I'm not passing judgement, just stating my observations...

>I agree with everything you've said. I knew nothing about barbeque when I
>found this group because it doesn't exist where I've lived. I started
>smoking food in an ECB, found this group, tried to ask questions and
>contribute, found a lot of very vocal and obnoxious people here, shut myself
>up and used google quite a bit while I lurked the golden nuggets of info
>here and now I'm doing some pretty passable barbeque.
>
>This is not a social group. There's a huge amount of arrogance here, but
>there's also a lot of experience journaled through google. This place is an
>invaluable resouce, but there ain't more than a coupla handfull who can see
>beyond the trolls and the "clique". The "clique" is is the most laughable
>because they actually act more like a pile of high school girls than the
>hairy arsed men they are. From what I've seen in the past year and a half
>the clique is more responsible for the troll behavior than the constantly
>complained about KSM.

It used to be, but KSM [sic] & co just bring out the worst in folks. I
have them in the Bozo Bin for some time and noticed an admirable
improvement in the NG.

Harry

posting from Sunny Alberta where it's 0C today and I have two steaks
ready to go.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D. Winsor

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message

> It used to be, but KSM [sic] & co just bring out the worst in folks. I
> have them in the Bozo Bin for some time and noticed an admirable
> improvement in the NG.

I suppose. I try to not use the killfile because real trolls just
constantly change their addies. I'm in St. John's NL, and have been trying
to get two briskets on the WSM for a week now. Too much wind and rain here.
I'm thinking seriously about building a shed during this warm spell. What
part of Alberta? I lived in Calgary for a few years.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
C_S

Well and wisely said.

"John O" > wrote in message
et...
>>> I think the reasons AFB has died down a
>>>
>>> 1. Kevin/Flame Wars/Trolls

>> Yep, big part of it.

> There's this other thing, which seems to be the culture of the group.
> Mind, I'm not passing judgement, just stating my observations...
>
> Newbies are not treated with respect when they show up. BBQ in this group
> has a very specific definition, and very few people I have ever met in
> person know of this definition. There's precious little tolerance for
> views other than the dogma in the FAQ. So when a poor unsuspecting slob
> (otherwise known as a new recruit) wanders in here talking about water and
> ribs, grilling, briquettes, or god-forbid happens to top post, he's
> (haven't seen many she's, other than kili) beaten to a pulp then asked to
> come back. After their beating they see the crap and leave.
>
> And I will pass one judgement: the netcop thing is stupid, and a complete
> waste of energy. This group is *by far* the most anal about posting
> sequence I've ever seen, in my ten years of usenet. One or two individuals
> DO have the power to make newbies completely disappear. Keep it up for a
> while, and natural attrition with a lack of growth combine to kill groups.
> Playing a group for personal entertainment? Maybe a psychologist out there
> has a good definition for that bs. I call it sick.
>
> -John O

Well and wisely said.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
C_S

Well and wisely said.

"John O" > wrote in message
et...
>>> I think the reasons AFB has died down a
>>>
>>> 1. Kevin/Flame Wars/Trolls

>> Yep, big part of it.

> There's this other thing, which seems to be the culture of the group.
> Mind, I'm not passing judgement, just stating my observations...
>
> Newbies are not treated with respect when they show up. BBQ in this group
> has a very specific definition, and very few people I have ever met in
> person know of this definition. There's precious little tolerance for
> views other than the dogma in the FAQ. So when a poor unsuspecting slob
> (otherwise known as a new recruit) wanders in here talking about water and
> ribs, grilling, briquettes, or god-forbid happens to top post, he's
> (haven't seen many she's, other than kili) beaten to a pulp then asked to
> come back. After their beating they see the crap and leave.
>
> And I will pass one judgement: the netcop thing is stupid, and a complete
> waste of energy. This group is *by far* the most anal about posting
> sequence I've ever seen, in my ten years of usenet. One or two individuals
> DO have the power to make newbies completely disappear. Keep it up for a
> while, and natural attrition with a lack of growth combine to kill groups.
> Playing a group for personal entertainment? Maybe a psychologist out there
> has a good definition for that bs. I call it sick.
>
> -John O

Well and wisely said.

RFC Websites triolus[_2_] General Cooking 7 22-02-2010 07:05 PM
Favorite Q Websites MonopTN Barbecue 4 05-05-2006 10:51 PM
Finding some tea websites Robert Tea 3 24-12-2005 05:56 PM
Finding some tea websites John Baking 0 23-12-2005 05:16 AM
Restaurant Websites Tamara Restaurants 1 29-03-2004 11:24 PM