Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Weber versus Lowe's brand gas grills

I got a $100 gift certificate to Lowe's for Christmas and am thinking
of applying it to a gas grill.

I have a couple of questions and I would appreciate your opinions.

The Weber Silver Genesis grill they had was $399. The salesman said
that their knockoff of the Weber had a larger cooking surface and cost
only $167.

I could have sworn I had seen the Weber Genesis grills for more like
$250 at Lowe's. Doesn't that sound high? Anyway, it is hard to
imagine the Weber version being twice as good. I know Weber is great
about replacing broken parts, but Lowe's probably isn't that bad
either.

The salesman said consumer reports rates the Lowe's brand grill a best
buy, but I didn't check it.

Lastly, I've never purchased a propane cylinder before. It looked like
the one at Lowe's, with gas in it, was $47. Is there a better way to
go?

Lastly, is there a point of getting two cylinders or do you think the
one comes with a gauge.

I'll probably just get the cheaper grill with one cylinder for now, but
I thought I would run it by you guys.

- Bobby

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

wrote:
> I got a $100 gift certificate to Lowe's for Christmas and am thinking
> of applying it to a gas grill.
>
> I have a couple of questions and I would appreciate your opinions.
>
> The Weber Silver Genesis grill they had was $399. The salesman said
> that their knockoff of the Weber had a larger cooking surface and cost
> only $167.
>
> I could have sworn I had seen the Weber Genesis grills for more like
> $250 at Lowe's. Doesn't that sound high? Anyway, it is hard to
> imagine the Weber version being twice as good. I know Weber is great
> about replacing broken parts, but Lowe's probably isn't that bad
> either.
>
> The salesman said consumer reports rates the Lowe's brand grill a best
> buy, but I didn't check it.
>
> Lastly, I've never purchased a propane cylinder before. It looked like
> the one at Lowe's, with gas in it, was $47. Is there a better way to
> go?
>
> Lastly, is there a point of getting two cylinders or do you think the
> one comes with a gauge.
>
> I'll probably just get the cheaper grill with one cylinder for now, but
> I thought I would run it by you guys.
>
> - Bobby

The price sounds about right for the Weber. I know nothing
about the Lowes model but I'd still recommend the Weber. Not
only does Weber stand behind them but they last. My Silver
has been sitting outside all year every year for the last 7
years. It still looks and works as new. I'd put money on it
that the Lowes model can't do that. (I'm in NY where we get
some nasty winters and springs) Remember the old adage,
"You get what you pay for". I think in the long run the
Weber would end up saving you money and provide a more
satisfactory cooking experience.

As for the cylinders. I have two 30 # tanks for mine. Both
with gauges. Nothing worse than being in the middle of
doing a roast, turkey or whatever and run out of gas.

--
Steve

If you can't beat 'em, they're not tied down properly.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bo Hica

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I got a $100 gift certificate to Lowe's for Christmas and am thinking
> of applying it to a gas grill.
>
> I have a couple of questions and I would appreciate your opinions.
>
> The Weber Silver Genesis grill they had was $399. The salesman said
> that their knockoff of the Weber had a larger cooking surface and cost
> only $167.
>
> I could have sworn I had seen the Weber Genesis grills for more like
> $250 at Lowe's. Doesn't that sound high? Anyway, it is hard to
> imagine the Weber version being twice as good. I know Weber is great
> about replacing broken parts, but Lowe's probably isn't that bad
> either.
>
> The salesman said consumer reports rates the Lowe's brand grill a best
> buy, but I didn't check it.

Nope - why not go to the library and check out the Consumer Reports for
yourself? They rate the Weber highly, but a Jenn-Air (Vermont Castings) one
the best - but it's not a best buy 'cause it's too expensive.

The nearly universal advice is to get the weber. Sure lowes might be good
about sending parts, but they didn't make the grill, and the model is not
likely to be available more than a year from now - so your parts may well be
unavailable by the time you actually need them. Yes it's expensive, but as
has been said - you get what you pay for.

I paid nearly $200 for a Weber charcoal smoker (WSM) and am happy I did. I
could have gotten a cheaper one, but the support (shipping damage from
Amazon) was handled professionally, and they were quite concerned that I may
miss cooking for the weekend (which was not a concern, as the damage was
mainly cosmetic. Replacement parts were and are readily available, and
probably will be for as long as they're in business.

Disclaimer: I actually bought the Jenn-air - it was a display model and
marked down to less than 1/2 price. It's fabulous, but not worth $600. I
don't have any expectations that parts will be available in 5 years.

> Lastly, I've never purchased a propane cylinder before. It looked like
> the one at Lowe's, with gas in it, was $47. Is there a better way to
> go?

$47's a bit pricey. You can get a cylinder for about $18 at Sams or BJ's,
and fills at BJ's cost less than $15. Cylinder exchange places usually get
around $20 here to swap a full for an empty - so still not the deal at
Lowes. I have 2 - so one is always full, unless it's just been swapped
off. It allows me to use all the gas, and never not have a "hot spare".

- Bo

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
jdoe

You can get a chinese porch ornament or you can get a grill....the choice is
yours. I tried the chinese ornament it went back where it came. There are 3
webers on my porch 1 genesis and 2 charcoal. The genesis is about 12 yo and
sits out in midwest cold and snow, rain, ice etc. Still has original ignitor
and unless it's very wet will light on 1st or 2nd try every time. No other
product comes close for value. As for consumer reports it's not even good
for wiping your backside with.
Larry
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I got a $100 gift certificate to Lowe's for Christmas and am thinking
> of applying it to a gas grill.
>
> I have a couple of questions and I would appreciate your opinions.
>
> The Weber Silver Genesis grill they had was $399. The salesman said
> that their knockoff of the Weber had a larger cooking surface and cost
> only $167.
>
> I could have sworn I had seen the Weber Genesis grills for more like
> $250 at Lowe's. Doesn't that sound high? Anyway, it is hard to
> imagine the Weber version being twice as good. I know Weber is great
> about replacing broken parts, but Lowe's probably isn't that bad
> either.
>
> The salesman said consumer reports rates the Lowe's brand grill a best
> buy, but I didn't check it.
>
> Lastly, I've never purchased a propane cylinder before. It looked like
> the one at Lowe's, with gas in it, was $47. Is there a better way to
> go?
>
> Lastly, is there a point of getting two cylinders or do you think the
> one comes with a gauge.
>
> I'll probably just get the cheaper grill with one cylinder for now, but
> I thought I would run it by you guys.
>
> - Bobby

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> (my tank hasn't a gauge, dammit--except that 'color spot' thing)

Denny,

You can buy a gauge at U-Haul rental centers of all places.
Screws righ on to the tank and then the regulator attaches
to the guage. They require no tools when the tanks need
changed.

--
Steve

If you can't beat 'em, they're not tied down properly.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
LT

> I have a couple of questions and I would appreciate your opinions.
>
> The Weber Silver Genesis grill they had was $399. The salesman said
> that their knockoff of the Weber had a larger cooking surface and cost
> only $167.
>
> I could have sworn I had seen the Weber Genesis grills for more like
> $250 at Lowe's. Doesn't that sound high? Anyway, it is hard to
> imagine the Weber version being twice as good. I know Weber is great
> about replacing broken parts, but Lowe's probably isn't that bad
> either.
>
> The salesman said consumer reports rates the Lowe's brand grill a best
> buy, but I didn't check it.
>
> Lastly, I've never purchased a propane cylinder before. It looked like
> the one at Lowe's, with gas in it, was $47. Is there a better way to
> go?
>
> Lastly, is there a point of getting two cylinders or do you think the
> one comes with a gauge.
>
> I'll probably just get the cheaper grill with one cylinder for now, but
> I thought I would run it by you guys.
>
> - Bobby

$399 sounds like the price for the Weber Silver A. You don't want that
model, it's only 26,000 BTU. You want/need the Silver B which is 36,000 BTU
and is priced around $499. If it's a B model for $399 jump on it quick.
That's a real deal.

Check all of the specs and specifics on the Lowes knock-off. BTU, fire tubes
(are they stainless steel like the Weber) the grate ( is it porcelain coated
cast iron) etc.

The Webers although a bit more $ are well worth it. My Silver B is only 1
year old, but it is a joy to cook on. Even heat all around the grate, easy
to regulate temperature, easy to clean etc, etc. I'd buy one again in NY
minute.

HTH

Larry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

>> The Weber Silver Genesis grill they had was $399. The salesman said
>> that their knockoff of the Weber had a larger cooking surface and cost
>> only $167.

Sounds like a cheapo grill to me.

>> I could have sworn I had seen the Weber Genesis grills for more like
>> $250 at Lowe's. Doesn't that sound high? Anyway, it is hard to
>> imagine the Weber version being twice as good.

Actualy, there are many good brands of grills, Weber being one, but
Broilmaster, MHP, Broil King will all outshine the Lowes grill, but at some
cost.

>> Lastly, I've never purchased a propane cylinder before. It looked like
>> the one at Lowe's, with gas in it, was $47. Is there a better way to
>> go?

A new tank will be about $20 and a refill is going to cost $10 (at BJ;s) to
$15 at the local gas station. You really need two. They charge a flat fee
for a refill, so don't take hte near empty back and waste money. Don't risk
running out of fuel mid-steak. Any serious griller has at least one spare.
Keep in mind, in the event of prolonged power failure, you can still cook on
the grill, but the station may not be able to fill an empty as they use an
electric pump.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:38:37 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Denny Wheeler wrote:
>
>> (my tank hasn't a gauge, dammit--except that 'color spot' thing)
>>

>Denny,
>
>You can buy a gauge at U-Haul rental centers of all places.
>Screws righ on to the tank and then the regulator attaches
>to the guage. They require no tools when the tanks need
>changed.

Good info, Steve. Thank'ee kindly.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:13:30 GMT, "jdoe" > wrote:

> As for consumer reports it's not even good
>for wiping your backside with.

So much for any credibility for you.
Or is that just from wilful ignorance?

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:38:37 -0500, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>

>>Denny Wheeler wrote:
>>

>>>(my tank hasn't a gauge, dammit--except that 'color spot' thing)
>>>

>>Denny,
>>
>>You can buy a gauge at U-Haul rental centers of all places.
>>Screws righ on to the tank and then the regulator attaches
>>to the guage. They require no tools when the tanks need
>>changed.

> Good info, Steve. Thank'ee kindly.

You're welcome. I bought one for each tank. I can't recall
how much they were though.

--
Steve

If you can't beat 'em, they're not tied down properly.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:47:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>A new tank will be about $20 and a refill is going to cost $10 (at BJ;s) to
>$15 at the local gas station. You really need two. They charge a flat fee
>for a refill, so don't take hte near empty back and waste money.

Hmmm? My local gas'em-up station doesn't charge a flat fee. They
charge for the amount of propane it takes to fill the tank.
So, it's worth inquiring which is the case.

What, by the way, is this BJ's I've seen mentioned here a number of
times?

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:47:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

>>A new tank will be about $20 and a refill is going to cost $10 (at BJ;s) to
>>$15 at the local gas station. You really need two. They charge a flat fee
>>for a refill, so don't take hte near empty back and waste money.

> Hmmm? My local gas'em-up station doesn't charge a flat fee. They
> charge for the amount of propane it takes to fill the tank.
> So, it's worth inquiring which is the case.
>
> What, by the way, is this BJ's I've seen mentioned here a number of
> times?
>
> --
> -denny-
> "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"
>
> "It's come as you are, baby."
>
> -over the hedge

I fill my 30 pounders at a local U-Haul rental center that's
close to the house and they charge by how much the tank
takes as opposed to a flat fee.

--
Steve

If you can't beat 'em, they're not tied down properly.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> What, by the way, is this BJ's I've seen mentioned here a number of
> times?

I think they are referring to the discount store chain. It is like
Sam's where you have a membership fee each year, I believe.

Thanks to everyone for their input. The propane tanks information was
especially helpful. I've used other people's gas grills, but haven't
bought tanks of my own before.

I don't suppose there is anyone out there who has actually used the
cheaper grill? The brand name is "BBQ Grillware" and it is $169 at
Lowe's. The salesman said it was really made by Coleman.

- Bobby

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message

> Hmmm? My local gas'em-up station doesn't charge a flat fee. They
> charge for the amount of propane it takes to fill the tank.
> So, it's worth inquiring which is the case.

I never see that around here for hte 20 lb tanks. Does not matter to me as I
always empty them anyway.

> What, by the way, is this BJ's I've seen mentioned here a number of
> times?

Big in New England, similar to Costco, Sam's, etc.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
>
> I don't suppose there is anyone out there who has actually used the
> cheaper grill? The brand name is "BBQ Grillware" and it is $169 at
> Lowe's. The salesman said it was really made by Coleman.
>
> - Bobby

Coleman is mediocre. Any <$250 is mediocre. Depends on your wants and
needs. Hot Dogs for the party? Sure, it will be fine. Serious cooking of
chicken with no flare-ups, a big hunk of beef, then no, it is going to be
difficult compared to better grills.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Coleman is mediocre. Any <$250 is mediocre. Depends on your wants and
> needs. Hot Dogs for the party? Sure, it will be fine. Serious cooking of
> chicken with no flare-ups, a big hunk of beef, then no, it is going to be
> difficult compared to better grills.

Thanks. I read a couple of reviews and it sounded like for the money
the grill was good, but, that it didn't compare to the more expensive
grills in terms of reliability, etc.

They said it wasn't made by Coleman, but some other company in China,
so it sounds like the salesman was in error there.

Anyway, I'd like to get a nicer grill, but I'll have to weigh spending
the money at this point.

Mainly I would use it to cook boneless chicken breasts, steaks,
burgers, sausage, pork chops.

I could probably do with a very cheap grill for most of what I do, but
I'm sure you are right that there are things you couldn't do with it.
And it would deteriorate more quickly.

Thanks again,
Bobby

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
jdoe

And your point?! CR is basically a useless feel good rag. People go out and
buy a Toyota or HOnda than they have to read CR to "feel good" about it.
Just read their boards it's sooo funny you soon roflol. I know I do.
"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:13:30 GMT, "jdoe" > wrote:
>
>> As for consumer reports it's not even good
>>for wiping your backside with.

> So much for any credibility for you.
> Or is that just from wilful ignorance?
>
> --
> -denny-
> "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth
> unannounced?"
>
> "It's come as you are, baby."
>
> -over the hedge

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:48:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>>
>> I don't suppose there is anyone out there who has actually used the
>> cheaper grill? The brand name is "BBQ Grillware" and it is $169 at
>> Lowe's. The salesman said it was really made by Coleman.
>>
>> - Bobby
>>

>Coleman is mediocre. Any <$250 is mediocre. Depends on your wants and
>needs. Hot Dogs for the party? Sure, it will be fine. Serious cooking of
>chicken with no flare-ups, a big hunk of beef, then no, it is going to be
>difficult compared to better grills.

I agree with Ed - Coleman make nice Lanterns, but I have yet to hear
anything worthwhile about their cookers. If you want a gasser,
Vermont Castings offer a nice one for about $600 [$ CAD] and
inevitably go on sale for about $400 at Home Depot in Calgary. Must
be about the same in your world.

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> If you are firm on Budget, the revisit your options. I'd take a WSM
> any day over a cheap gasser. My $0.02 $[ CAD].
> It will do all of what you described and even make decent BBQ.

Thanks. I didn't say it before, but I have a WSM already and a Weber
kettle grill.

I'm just looking for a gas grill because it is more convienient. I'm
looking for something I can use to cook dinner when I get home from
work. It just takes a while for the charcoal to get heated up, etc. I
really enjoy the charcoal grill and the WSM for smoking stuff.

But do I want to spend $400-$500 for it? That is the question.

- Bobby

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Matthew L. Martin

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:48:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
>>
>>>I don't suppose there is anyone out there who has actually used the
>>>cheaper grill? The brand name is "BBQ Grillware" and it is $169 at
>>>Lowe's. The salesman said it was really made by Coleman.
>>>
>>>- Bobby
>>>

>>Coleman is mediocre. Any <$250 is mediocre. Depends on your wants and
>>needs. Hot Dogs for the party? Sure, it will be fine. Serious cooking of
>>chicken with no flare-ups, a big hunk of beef, then no, it is going to be
>>difficult compared to better grills.
>>

> I agree with Ed - Coleman make nice Lanterns, but I have yet to hear
> anything worthwhile about their cookers. If you want a gasser,
> Vermont Castings offer a nice one for about $600 [$ CAD] and
> inevitably go on sale for about $400 at Home Depot in Calgary. Must
> be about the same in your world.

I have a ten year old Coleman branded gasser that I keep at the lake
house. It is essentially identical to the CharBroil I had at home until
last year. I'm pretty sure it was OEMed by CharBroil. I don't know who
makes Coleman gassers now, but they are getting pretty fancy.

Take a look:

<http://www.thegrillstoreandmore.com/image/products/big-pics/429033b.jpg>

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
>
> But do I want to spend $400-$500 for it? That is the question.
>
> - Bobby

If you can afford it, yes, it really does make a difference. You won't be
happy with the cheap on for very long.

I have a Vermont Castings from the series before they got into mass markets.
Paid over $1000 for it. I just got tired of trying to cook on cheap grills,
replacing parts every couple of years, etc. I do not regret it one bit.
Just to keep me aware, I cooked a few simple things at my son's house this
past summer. His Charbroil was dreadful to use. I'm spoiled. If you can,
get the better models.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> If you can afford it, yes, it really does make a difference. You
> won't be happy with the cheap on for very long.

Listen to Ed. He is a 1000% right on this. Buy right, cry once.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:43:43 GMT, "jdoe" > wrote:

>And your point?! CR is basically a useless feel good rag. People go out and
>buy a Toyota or HOnda than they have to read CR to "feel good" about it.
>Just read their boards it's sooo funny you soon roflol. I know I do.

My point, you top-posting fool, is that CR is indeed quite useful.
But maybe you're an expert on every product available in the US.
You're evidently a world-class expert on certain unpleasant products
usually associated with fertilizer.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:43:43 GMT, "jdoe" > wrote:
>

>>And your point?! CR is basically a useless feel good rag. People go out and
>>buy a Toyota or HOnda than they have to read CR to "feel good" about it.
>>Just read their boards it's sooo funny you soon roflol. I know I do.

> My point, you top-posting fool, is that CR is indeed quite useful.
> But maybe you're an expert on every product available in the US.
> You're evidently a world-class expert on certain unpleasant products
> usually associated with fertilizer.
>

> --
> -denny-
> "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"
>
> "It's come as you are, baby."
>
> -over the hedge

I've found CR just the opposite. The times that I have used
it and believed theur advice I've been unhappy with the
product (for the most part). When buying something I'll do
my own research, ask friends their experiences with
"whatever", etc. I find out that I make out much better
doing my own research vs. trusting a business to guide me. YMMV

--
Steve

If you can't beat 'em, they're not tied down properly.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> My point, you top-posting fool, is that CR is indeed quite useful.
> But maybe you're an expert on every product available in the US.
> You're evidently a world-class expert on certain unpleasant products
> usually associated with fertilizer.

They are still in business so evidently some people accept what they have to
say. I don't. Too many time I'd look at appliances and what I find to be a
feature, they state is a waste or a detriment. What I feel is important,
they do not. We have different agendas for life, I guess.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:46:50 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
>> My point, you top-posting fool, is that CR is indeed quite useful.
>> But maybe you're an expert on every product available in the US.
>> You're evidently a world-class expert on certain unpleasant products
>> usually associated with fertilizer.

>They are still in business so evidently some people accept what they have to
>say. I don't. Too many time I'd look at appliances and what I find to be a
>feature, they state is a waste or a detriment. What I feel is important,
>they do not. We have different agendas for life, I guess.

This is one area where Google is your friend IMO. It will get you
into 'the zone' & then you know what questions to ask & features to
look for. I've never been a CR fan, perhaps because the only time I
see them is in a Doctor's Office, which generally means Doc is running
late and my meter will expire before I get back to the truck. As an
example I would look up Phil Edmunston's site to read what he thinks
of a vehicle before e-mailing a dealer to ask 'How Much?' . . . .
Who is Phil Edmunston you ask?
Well, I repeat - Google is your Friend . . . ;0)

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 07:28:27 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>> My point, you top-posting fool, is that CR is indeed quite useful.
>> But maybe you're an expert on every product available in the US.
>> You're evidently a world-class expert on certain unpleasant products
>> usually associated with fertilizer.
>>

>I've found CR just the opposite. The times that I have used
>it and believed theur advice I've been unhappy with the
>product (for the most part). When buying something I'll do
>my own research, ask friends their experiences with
>"whatever", etc. I find out that I make out much better
>doing my own research vs. trusting a business to guide me. YMMV

I don't particularly trust a business to guide me either. Unless said
business is known to have no stake whatsoever in the result.

Consumer Reports, however, being published by Consumer's Union--a
non-profit--isn't a business. I've found their research to be good.
Certainly I like to get information from people I know and trust, too.