Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Ken Sternberg

Default Electric Smoker Suggestions

I want to buy an electric smoker with which I can use wood chips. Is
Brinkmann a good model? I'm looking to spend under $100.

Thanks very much.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dimitri

"Ken Sternberg" > wrote in message
>I want to buy an electric smoker with which I can use wood chips. Is Brinkmann
>a good model? I'm looking to spend under $100.
>
> Thanks very much.

I recently retired mine after about 2 years.

IMHO it is a great place to start.

However, to me it is only a starting point.

Have fun.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bubba

Ken Sternberg wrote:
> I want to buy an electric smoker with which I can use wood chips. Is
> Brinkmann a good model? I'm looking to spend under $100.
>
> Thanks very much.

I've owned two in the past. Lasted about two years each. Size is an
issue but you can get creative. (Like hanging ribs and fowl with hooks.)
Had to get creative with temp. control, too, but I filled many a
hungry mouth with some admirable Que.

Just my two cents.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Heavy_Smoker

Ken Sternberg said

> I want to buy an electric smoker with which I can use wood chips.
> Is Brinkmann a good model? I'm looking to spend under $100.

I have a Char-Broil that has served me well for several years. I'd
recommend a thermal blanket (sold here at Menards) for smoking in
cold weather.

IIRC, the brinkman doesn't have a thermostat? Maybe I'm just spaced
out.

hth

--
Better living through smoking.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
John M. Darnielle

"Ken Sternberg" > wrote in message
>I want to buy an electric smoker with which I can use wood chips. Is
>Brinkmann a good model? I'm looking to spend under $100.
>
> Thanks very much.

You're welcome. I've used the electric Brinkman (AKA El Cheapo Brinkman or
ECB) successfully for years. The heatinfg element burns out every few years,
but can be replaced. There is no thermostat,but it isn't needed. The unit
heats to around 250, hotter in summer and cooler in winter,but this can be
compensated for by lifting the lid slightly to cool or wrap lid/body joint
with foil in winter. I usually smoke in my garage with the door cracked as
the unit isn't very temperature stable in the wind. I've done
Turkeys,brisket, ribs, butts- all turn out good. Grilled alder smoked salmon
is great-just leave the water out of the pan to get the temp up. Advantages
definetly include cost, both to purchase and to operate. Electricity is tens
of times cheaper than wood or lump, assuming you have to pay market rate for
all. Stable temps help guranteee good results,so important when cooking for
guests. I modified mine with a built in thermometer- handy but not
absolutely needed.

John

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I'm usually anti-goofy Food Network stuff, but I did build the Alton
Brown
Good Eats terra cotta smoker and it works better than any electric I've
ever used.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Phil

Try this one:
http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200152274.htm

I have gotten some good food out of it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jarhead

Phil wrote:
> Try this one:
> http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200152274.htm
>
> I have gotten some good food out of it.

We have enjoyed our Old Smokey too. So much that I bought my son one for
his birthday last year. He was skeptical at first but uses it a lot now.

I modified the handles to allow using four screws per handle and drilled
holes to allow for using a remote thermometer.

--
Jarhead