Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Burnt Food Dude

Default BBQ Caterers & BBQ Restaurant owners

Since you own a BBQ restaurant, or BBQCatering Service, when you do ribs for
your customers, do you remove the membrane or leave it on? What sells better
baby backs or spares? Do you do a lot of beef ribs?

Caterers, do you sell a lot of whole hogs?

I'm going to retire in about 2 years, my wife and aunts are trying to talk
me into starting a small BBQ catering service in the Chicago area. I'm also
thinking of getting a Gator pit for this effort. I figure if I start getting
the info together now, I can make a decision before I retire.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Barry Bean

"Burnt Food Dude" <burntfooddude@(no spam)yahoo.com> wrote in
:

> Since you own a BBQ restaurant, or BBQCatering Service, when you do
> ribs for your customers, do you remove the membrane or leave it on?

I remove it.

> What sells better baby backs or spares?

I only serve baby backs or loin ribs/

> Do you do a lot of beef ribs?

No, I only cater BBQ

> Caterers, do you sell a lot of whole hogs?

No - just shoulders, ribs, or bird.

> I'm going to retire in about 2 years, my wife and aunts are trying to
> talk me into starting a small BBQ catering service in the Chicago
> area. I'm also thinking of getting a Gator pit for this effort. I
> figure if I start getting the info together now, I can make a decision
> before I retire.

Good luck - its a tough business.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
2fatbbq

"Burnt Food Dude" <burntfooddude@(no spam)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Since you own a BBQ restaurant, or BBQCatering Service, when you do ribs
> for your customers, do you remove the membrane or leave it on?

usually take it off after cooking

What sells better
> baby backs or spares? Do you do a lot of beef ribs?

usually spares--cause I think they taste better----probaly only a dozen
racks of beef ribs a year

> Caterers, do you sell a lot of whole hogs?

Whole hog guys around here do them too cheap for me!

> I'm going to retire in about 2 years, my wife and aunts are trying to talk
> me into starting a small BBQ catering service in the Chicago area. I'm
> also thinking of getting a Gator pit for this effort. I figure if I start
> getting the info together now, I can make a decision before I retire.

While I love cooking on a log burner---for job would use some cooker that is
less labour intensive for sure--tough getting that case of butts done when
the wind is blowing fortymph and the snow is blowing the heat out of the
cooker as fast as ya can through a log in the box---imo of course

Buzz----in Wisconsin