Chef Juke

Default So Near and yet So Far...(I could almost SMELL the que from 20,000 feet)

Hey all,

Been busier than I-don't-know-what lately and haven't posted much, but
am definitely overdue...

First off, a belated Happy Anniversary to Dave's Pit-Smoked
Bar-B-Que...here's wishing you many more.

My work sent me on a last-minute trip to New York last week and I
tried to get to some of the BBQ joints in town, but only made it to
the same place I visited last time, Bubby's in Brooklyn. It's not
really a BBQ place, although it serves what they say is real smoked
BBQ brisket and Pulled Pork sandwiches. Last time I had the pork,
this time I had the brisket. While it was tender, it was definitely
missing something. Little or no noticible smoke flavor and all in all
rather bland. The bartender, Max, however was great and joined me in
trying a new beer they were selling....HE'BREW "The Chosen Beer"
Genesis Ale (see http://www.shmaltz.com/ )

After a big long laugh over the label, I decided I needed to try it
and as Max hadn't tried it yet I offered him some (the beer ended up
being on the house - Thanks Max) anyway, pretty good stuff.

I hadn't realized until late in the week that Dinosaur Barbecue from
upstate NY had opened up a New York sattelite restaurant and it was
only a few blocks from my Uncle's Apt. where I was staying. By the
time I found out it was 8:30 on Friday Night and when we called the
wait was at least 2 hours and we decided to pass. Oh well, next time.

On the return flight last night as we neared Seattle the pilot noted
that out the left side of the plane we could see Wenatchee....I looked
down and sure enough, the lights of beautiful Wenatchee were laid out
below us like a little neon sign pointing the way to Dave's. I
immediately wished I had been able to take a weekend trip up for
"anniversary weekend" and surprise Dave & Jill, but both finances and
car trouble made that impossible....but I'm hoping before the snows
set in that we'll be able to make a trip up.

Anyway, that's my update...haven't smoked anything in about 3 weeks
and I'm getting anxious...maybe I'll stop by the store and get some
fixings on the way home tonight and make some smoked sausage...

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
Dave Bugg

Chef Juke wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Been busier than I-don't-know-what lately and haven't posted much, but
> am definitely overdue...
>
> First off, a belated Happy Anniversary to Dave's Pit-Smoked
> Bar-B-Que...here's wishing you many more.

A great, big thank-you, Pat. We're keeping our fingers crossed. :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Dimitri

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> Been busier than I-don't-know-what lately and haven't posted much, but
> am definitely overdue...
>
> First off, a belated Happy Anniversary to Dave's Pit-Smoked
> Bar-B-Que...here's wishing you many more.
>
> My work sent me on a last-minute trip to New York last week and I
> tried to get to some of the BBQ joints in town, but only made it to
> the same place I visited last time, Bubby's in Brooklyn. It's not
> really a BBQ place, although it serves what they say is real smoked
> BBQ brisket and Pulled Pork sandwiches. Last time I had the pork,
> this time I had the brisket. While it was tender, it was definitely
> missing something. Little or no noticible smoke flavor and all in all
> rather bland. The bartender, Max, however was great and joined me in
> trying a new beer they were selling....HE'BREW "The Chosen Beer"
> Genesis Ale (see http://www.shmaltz.com/ )

<snip>

With all the amazing food available in The City, why on earth try for something
(probably the only thing) they don't do well?

Dimitri

Mike \Piedmont\

Chef Juke wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Been busier than I-don't-know-what lately and haven't posted much, but
> am definitely overdue...
>
> First off, a belated Happy Anniversary to Dave's Pit-Smoked
> Bar-B-Que...here's wishing you many more.
>
> My work sent me on a last-minute trip to New York last week and I
> tried to get to some of the BBQ joints in town, but only made it to
> the same place I visited last time, Bubby's in Brooklyn. It's not
> really a BBQ place, although it serves what they say is real smoked
> BBQ brisket and Pulled Pork sandwiches. Last time I had the pork,
> this time I had the brisket. While it was tender, it was definitely
> missing something. Little or no noticible smoke flavor and all in all
> rather bland. The bartender, Max, however was great and joined me in
> trying a new beer they were selling....HE'BREW "The Chosen Beer"
> Genesis Ale (see http://www.shmaltz.com/ )
>
> After a big long laugh over the label, I decided I needed to try it
> and as Max hadn't tried it yet I offered him some (the beer ended up
> being on the house - Thanks Max) anyway, pretty good stuff.
>
> I hadn't realized until late in the week that Dinosaur Barbecue from
> upstate NY had opened up a New York sattelite restaurant and it was
> only a few blocks from my Uncle's Apt. where I was staying. By the
> time I found out it was 8:30 on Friday Night and when we called the
> wait was at least 2 hours and we decided to pass. Oh well, next time.
>
> On the return flight last night as we neared Seattle the pilot noted
> that out the left side of the plane we could see Wenatchee....I looked
> down and sure enough, the lights of beautiful Wenatchee were laid out
> below us like a little neon sign pointing the way to Dave's. I
> immediately wished I had been able to take a weekend trip up for
> "anniversary weekend" and surprise Dave & Jill, but both finances and
> car trouble made that impossible....but I'm hoping before the snows
> set in that we'll be able to make a trip up.
>
> Anyway, that's my update...haven't smoked anything in about 3 weeks
> and I'm getting anxious...maybe I'll stop by the store and get some
> fixings on the way home tonight and make some smoked sausage...
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

CJ

Good to hear from you again, sounds like a good time in New York. I
guess that if I had some time there, I'd be hot on the trail of some
fine pastrami too! Gads I love a good P on rye, an a P rueben! I have 5
packer cuts in the freezer now, and I'm looking forward to my next and
second attempt with homemade P.

--
Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Mike \Piedmont\

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Chef Juke wrote:
>> Hey all,

snip.

>> First off, a belated Happy Anniversary to Dave's Pit-Smoked
>> Bar-B-Que...here's wishing you many more.

> A great, big thank-you, Pat. We're keeping our fingers crossed. :-)

Hey DB,

Wow, it's been a year all ready, good for you! and congratulations!
Hoping that someday the wife and I will be able to eat at your joint!

--
Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Chef Juke

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:24:46 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> wrote:

>Chef Juke wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Been busier than I-don't-know-what lately and haven't posted much, but
>> am definitely overdue...

><SNIP>
>
>Good to hear from you again, sounds like a good time in New York. I
>guess that if I had some time there, I'd be hot on the trail of some
>fine pastrami too! Gads I love a good P on rye, an a P rueben! I have 5
>packer cuts in the freezer now, and I'm looking forward to my next and
>second attempt with homemade P.

Heh,

I didn't mention that the first thing I did when I got into town was
meet up with my employee who had come a day earlier and take him over
to the Carnegie Deli for one of their monsterous Hot Pastrami
Sandwhiches. a full pound of pastrami on rye, washed down with a Dr.
Brown's cream soda and followed by a shared slice of real N.Y.
Cheesecake.

We barely waddled out of there under our own power.

For those who care about the rest of our NON-BBQ culinary adventures,
we also had some great Italian food at Va Tutto:
http://www.vatutto.com/vatutto/html/index.htm# ..

We quaffed some ales at the oldedst bar in town, McSorleys's (great
place, although the clientele has gotten a little yuppified...):

http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/n...e-new-york.htm

This, by the way, is in the east village right down the street from
where my Dad's coffeehouse, Les Deux Megots used to be back in the
early 60's....it's where he and my Mom met.

We also had Sushi lunch at a place called Tribeca Hana and a
forgettable lunch at a place who's name I forget...

Finally, I also did some shopping at an upscale store called citarella
and made dinner for my Aunt & Uncle one of my cousins:

Salmon baked with a topping of double-creme Brie served with Garlicky
Snow Peas and fried slieces of Polenta w/Porcinni Mushrooms.

Oh, and for Brunch yesterday with a friend before my flight out, we
ate at a place on 15th called La Metariie where I had a wonderful
savory lamb sausage crepe.

I gotta go digest now....

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com
Dave Bugg

Mike "Piedmont" wrote:

> Wow, it's been a year all ready, good for you! and congratulations!
> Hoping that someday the wife and I will be able to eat at your joint!

Thanks, Mike. Come anytime.......we'll feed ya good :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Mike \Piedmont\

Chef Juke wrote:

> Heh,
>
> I didn't mention that the first thing I did when I got into town was
> meet up with my employee who had come a day earlier and take him over
> to the Carnegie Deli for one of their monsterous Hot Pastrami
> Sandwhiches. a full pound of pastrami on rye, washed down with a Dr.
> Brown's cream soda and followed by a shared slice of real N.Y.
> Cheesecake.
>
> We barely waddled out of there under our own power.
>
> For those who care about the rest of our NON-BBQ culinary adventures,
> we also had some great Italian food at Va Tutto:
> http://www.vatutto.com/vatutto/html/index.htm# ..
>
> We quaffed some ales at the oldedst bar in town, McSorleys's (great
> place, although the clientele has gotten a little yuppified...):
>
> http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/n...e-new-york.htm
>
> This, by the way, is in the east village right down the street from
> where my Dad's coffeehouse, Les Deux Megots used to be back in the
> early 60's....it's where he and my Mom met.
>
> We also had Sushi lunch at a place called Tribeca Hana and a
> forgettable lunch at a place who's name I forget...
>
> Finally, I also did some shopping at an upscale store called citarella
> and made dinner for my Aunt & Uncle one of my cousins:
>
> Salmon baked with a topping of double-creme Brie served with Garlicky
> Snow Peas and fried slieces of Polenta w/Porcinni Mushrooms.
>
> Oh, and for Brunch yesterday with a friend before my flight out, we
> ate at a place on 15th called La Metariie where I had a wonderful
> savory lamb sausage crepe.
>
> I gotta go digest now....
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

CJ
Sounds extremely delicious, can I carry your luggage the next trip to
NY!! (grinning with envy)
--
Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Chef Juke

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:47:12 -0700, Chef Juke >
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:24:46 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> wrote:
>

>Oh, and for Brunch yesterday with a friend before my flight out, we
>ate at a place on 15th called La Metariie where I had a wonderful
>savory lamb sausage crepe.

Whoops, actually, this was Le Gamin Café at 258 West 15th....(BTW,
they had the best coffee I've had in New York...)...

>I gotta go digest now....
>
>-Chef Juke
>"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
>www.chefjuke.com

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:35:23 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Been busier than I-don't-know-what lately and haven't posted much, but
>> am definitely overdue...
>>
>> First off, a belated Happy Anniversary to Dave's Pit-Smoked
>> Bar-B-Que...here's wishing you many more.
>>
>> My work sent me on a last-minute trip to New York last week and I
>> tried to get to some of the BBQ joints in town, but only made it to
>> the same place I visited last time, Bubby's in Brooklyn. It's not
>> really a BBQ place, although it serves what they say is real smoked
>> BBQ brisket and Pulled Pork sandwiches. Last time I had the pork,
>> this time I had the brisket. While it was tender, it was definitely
>> missing something. Little or no noticible smoke flavor and all in all
>> rather bland. The bartender, Max, however was great and joined me in
>> trying a new beer they were selling....HE'BREW "The Chosen Beer"
>> Genesis Ale (see http://www.shmaltz.com/ )

><snip>
>
>With all the amazing food available in The City, why on earth try for something
>(probably the only thing) they don't do well?
>
>Dimitri

That was my thought precisely, Dimitri. Sort of like travelling tpo
Peggy's Cove and looking for good Italian . . . . Juke, I thought you
were brighter than that.

BTW - for the diet conscious, they should brew 'Israel-lite' ;0)

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Chef Juke

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:09:30 GMT, Harry Demidavicius >
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:35:23 GMT, "Dimitri" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> Been busier than I-don't-know-what lately and haven't posted much, but
>>> am definitely overdue...
>>>
>>> First off, a belated Happy Anniversary to Dave's Pit-Smoked
>>> Bar-B-Que...here's wishing you many more.
>>>
>>> My work sent me on a last-minute trip to New York last week and I
>>> tried to get to some of the BBQ joints in town, but only made it to
>>> the same place I visited last time, Bubby's in Brooklyn. It's not
>>> really a BBQ place, although it serves what they say is real smoked
>>> BBQ brisket and Pulled Pork sandwiches. Last time I had the pork,
>>> this time I had the brisket. While it was tender, it was definitely
>>> missing something. Little or no noticible smoke flavor and all in all
>>> rather bland. The bartender, Max, however was great and joined me in
>>> trying a new beer they were selling....HE'BREW "The Chosen Beer"
>>> Genesis Ale (see http://www.shmaltz.com/ )

>><snip>
>>
>>With all the amazing food available in The City, why on earth try for something
>>(probably the only thing) they don't do well?
>>
>>Dimitri
>>

>That was my thought precisely, Dimitri. Sort of like travelling tpo
>Peggy's Cove and looking for good Italian . . . . Juke, I thought you
>were brighter than that.
>
>BTW - for the diet conscious, they should brew 'Israel-lite' ;0)
>
>Harry

Ahem,

Did you see my followup email with the places I DID eat?

I had heard some good things about some of the newer BBQ places in NY,
(and especially about the upstate Dinosaur BBQ) and wanted to try it.

Being up here in the Pacific Northwest and having had some good 'Cue
here even though the region is not known for BBQ has taught me not to
be "Regionist" in my pursuit of good BBQ.

So there.

;-)

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:04:02 -0700, Chef Juke
> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:09:30 GMT, Harry Demidavicius >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:35:23 GMT, "Dimitri" >
>>wrote:

>>><snip>
>>>
>>>With all the amazing food available in The City, why on earth try for something
>>>(probably the only thing) they don't do well?
>>>
>>>Dimitri
>>>

>>That was my thought precisely, Dimitri. Sort of like travelling tpo
>>Peggy's Cove and looking for good Italian . . . . Juke, I thought you
>>were brighter than that.
>>
>>BTW - for the diet conscious, they should brew 'Israel-lite' ;0)
>>
>>Harry

>Ahem,
>
>Did you see my followup email with the places I DID eat?

I finally did, C J. OK - you are back on the "A" Team again ;0)

Harry

Smell has gone from feet to inches Roy Boy Winemaking 0 08-11-2005 09:45 PM
Chicken stock using feet. How many feet? Pierre General Cooking 5 16-02-2005 07:47 PM
pigs feet JJ General Cooking 14 17-12-2004 10:48 PM
Chicken feet/ Pigs feet Bubba General Cooking 17 04-12-2004 07:51 PM
pickled pig feet? Sean Elkins Preserving 1 26-09-2004 06:22 PM