Abe

Default Where to buy SS 55 gallon drum?

Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
drum?

I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.

BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.

Thanks.
Abe

>Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
>drum?
>I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.
>BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
>ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.
>Thanks.

Silly me. I meant to say USED drums.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Abe" > wrote in message
> Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
> drum?
>
> I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.
>
> BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
> ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.

Have you tried the Yellow Pages? Every industrial /commercial area has
dealers that handle used and new drums. Most food grade today are plastic
though.

Mike \Piedmont\

SNIP
As said, with it having skin on,it sounds more like a shoulder, and
should have bone in too if a shoulder.

IMHO,
Take skin off, keep as much fat on as you can during that process. I
don't think a rub nor a slather are needed. They won't do anything for
the pork except give just the exterior flavor.

Plus, I would cook at around 325-350 F, until tender to the bone.

--
Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Mike \Piedmont\

Abe wrote:
> Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
> drum?
>
> I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.
>
> BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
> ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.
>
> Thanks.

Yes, go to McMaster-Carr (Use Google) website, enter "stainless steel
drum" in their search box, takes to the correct page.

--
Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Glenn

Be VERY careful when buy used drums You need to know what was in them.
Not all drums can be cleaned so they are safe for food. Some chemicals
stay around forever.

Abe wrote:
> Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
> drum?
>
> I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.
>
> BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
> ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.
>
> Thanks.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:41:13 GMT, Glenn > wrote:

>Be VERY careful when buy used drums You need to know what was in them.
>Not all drums can be cleaned so they are safe for food. Some chemicals
>stay around forever.

That reason alone would suggest that the best used food-safe drum
would be a new food-safe drum.

Graeme...in London

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:41:13 GMT, Glenn > wrote:
>
> >Be VERY careful when buy used drums You need to know what was in them.
> >Not all drums can be cleaned so they are safe for food. Some chemicals
> >stay around forever.

> That reason alone would suggest that the best used food-safe drum
> would be a new food-safe drum.

Not only that, but without googling the costs, WTF price difference is there
between a used and new drum?

I can't imagine that a new unit would set you back too much more of your
"hard earned" cash. Probably cost you more on hinges and rivets.

Graeme

Abe

>> Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
>> drum?
>> I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.
>> BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
>> ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.

>Yes, go to McMaster-Carr (Use Google) website, enter "stainless steel
>drum" in their search box, takes to the correct page.

Yikes. Looks like I'm going to get an enamled regular steel drum.
Stainless is way too expensive.
Mike \Piedmont\

Abe wrote:
>> Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
>> drum?
>> I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.
>> BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
>> ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.
>> Thanks.

> Silly me. I meant to say USED drums.

Look for companies that use ferric acid in their process. a lot of times
they do acid etching of steel. or a supplier of ferric acid. they use
stainless steel 55 gallon barrels to hold the acid in. regardless, a new
or used stainless steel is expensive, thats just the way it is.

--
Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

A. Kesteloo

Why looking just for regular drums. more barrels are made of Stainless
steel. I made my bbq/smoker from second hand stainless steel boilers
(72 gallon and one 50 gallon) they cost around 100 euro per barrel. my
new smoker (off set this time) will be made of a 210 or 265 gallon
stainless steel milk barrel. (hope to get one for around 350 euro). If
you want to think big, you can get a 1000 gallon milk barrel (double
wall, insulated) for about 800 euro.

other options:
water tank for boats (75 euro / 300 euro),
beer tank (the one the use in bars, about 1000 liter 350 euro / 500
euro)
industrial food (holdingtank)tank from jam factory (usualy about 300
liter).
square boxes can be found in meat or fish factories
open round tanks for mixing things can be found at a medical factory,
bakery or cheese factory
pig farms usualy have stainless steel things for feeding the pigs.

the only problem is that most of those are made out max 3 mm steel.
most stainless steel used in the food industry is 304 or 316 type
stainless steel

Adriaan

Abe schreef:

> >> Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
> >> drum?
> >> I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.
> >> BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
> >> ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.

> >Yes, go to McMaster-Carr (Use Google) website, enter "stainless steel
> >drum" in their search box, takes to the correct page.

> Yikes. Looks like I'm going to get an enamled regular steel drum.
> Stainless is way too expensive.

Brad Houser

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:01:38 -0700, Abe wrote:

> Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
> drum?
>
> I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.
>
> BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
> ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.
>
> Thanks.

20 of them on eBay for $200 each. Item 7536386480

Brad H
Mr. E

SEattle Barrel Company on Airport Way South near Boeing Field.

Typhoon Longwang

Abe wrote:
> Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
> drum?
>
> I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.
>
> BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
> ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.
>
> Thanks.

FWIW, I got two used 33 gallon SS drums at the local Pepsi plant a
number of years ago. I seem to remember that I got them for $25 each or
so. I use them for brewing beer...

TL

--

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist
the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

H.L. Mencken
Abe

>On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:01:38 -0700, Abe wrote:
>
>> Anybody know where I can buy a 55 gallon food grade stainless steel
>> drum?
>>
>> I've looked around the net, but haven't had any luck finding one.
>>
>> BTW, I'm in the Seattle area, but if you know of a place that will
>> ship from elsewhere, that's OK too.
>>
>> Thanks.

>20 of them on eBay for $200 each. Item 7536386480
>
>Brad H

Thank you

Abe

BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Restaurants 0 07-05-2006 03:25 AM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Wine 0 07-05-2006 03:18 AM
A six gallon kit in a ~5 gallon secondary fermenter Adam Preble Winemaking 4 29-04-2005 03:24 PM
55 gal Drum for a Pit Jim Rutkowski Barbecue 20 05-09-2004 07:02 PM
Big Drum Smokers Rocky Barbecue 14 14-07-2004 11:44 AM