Default Smoker Wood In Georgia

Hi folks,

I am looking for seasoned smoker wood as close as possible to Athens,
Georgia (1.5 hours from Atlanta). In the past I have ordered various
exotic woods from barbecuewood.com in Washington state, but these days
shipping is prohibitive. Any ideas? I'm looking for 16" (or so) split
logs.

Thanks,

Evan

MonopTN

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi folks,
>
> I am looking for seasoned smoker wood as close as possible to Athens,
> Georgia (1.5 hours from Atlanta). In the past I have ordered various
> exotic woods from barbecuewood.com in Washington state, but these days
> shipping is prohibitive. Any ideas? I'm looking for 16" (or so) split
> logs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Evan

You are in the heart of Pecan country....Pecan is perfect for smoking, and
should be readily available. Check your local newspaper, classified
section, and look for "firewood". Call one of them and ask if they can
deliver a pecan only rick. My guess is it will cost you $45-60 bucks.

Henry

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:42:36 -0500, "MonopTN" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am looking for seasoned smoker wood as close as possible to Athens,
>> Georgia (1.5 hours from Atlanta). In the past I have ordered various
>> exotic woods from barbecuewood.com in Washington state, but these days
>> shipping is prohibitive. Any ideas? I'm looking for 16" (or so) split
>> logs.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Evan

>You are in the heart of Pecan country....Pecan is perfect for smoking, and
>should be readily available. Check your local newspaper, classified
>section, and look for "firewood". Call one of them and ask if they can
>deliver a pecan only rick. My guess is it will cost you $45-60 bucks.

Hey Evan!

I'm in Athens too. Last spring we had a pretty bad storm blow through
and lots of huge pecan and oak trees fell all over town. There were at
least 2 or 3 huge oaks that fell across Milledge Ave. A couple of
sizeable Pecan trees fell at my job (near downtown) and I got a few
logs. I would have gotten more but I just didn't have any place to
store it. I suspect that the city carted most of the wood to the
landfill.