Old 30-09-2005, 05:00 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Can Oiled Cheesecloth be Substituded for Sausage Casings?

Charlie wrote in message
Hey everyone.

I am jumping into sausage making and am wondering if oiled
cheesecloth can be substituted for natural or collogen casings in
making cured and smoked sausages, such as andouille, summer sausage,
keilbasa, etc.

Too chewy for me.

Old 30-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Jimbo

Charlie wrote in message
Hey everyone.

I am jumping into sausage making and am wondering if oiled
cheesecloth can be substituted for natural or collogen casings in
making cured and smoked sausages, such as andouille, summer sausage,
keilbasa, etc.

A web search has only yielded two results.... not enough for a
consensus.

--
Thank you
Charlie

Been making sausage for years .I have even used empty cans for summer
sausage forms.
Anything can be used even paper bags ..... but I do not eat the cans and
would not eat cheese cloth.
But peel and eat may work fine.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Muslin bags were suggested on another group and a web search got quite
a few results with that suggestion.

--
Charlie

I forgot about that; muslin has been used for some commercial products for
years. I've bought pork roll that way for over 50 years.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:17 AM
Kent

I think you might end up with a sausage that is too dry. When the sausage is
covered with a casing the fat stays inside until the end of cooking and then
it drains out. That's how sausage maintains that moistness that makes it
taste like sausage. With cheese cloth it's going to come out too early, and
you're going to have dry sausage, though with the same flavor. If I were
going to expend your effort I would use something that would accomplish the
same thing.
Best of luck. Tell us how it comes out if you decide to try it.
Kent

Old 04-10-2005, 05:41 AM
Kent

You know Charlie, back in the daze when I was thinking about doing what you
are doing, I found casings at the local wholesaler. Alongside they had non
organic casings at a fraction of the cost of the real thing, and unlimited
longevity. You might look into that, even if, you have to find it mail
order.
Again, good luck, and I'll be interested in what you do.
Kent

Charlie wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 21:17:49 -0700, "Kent" wrote:

I think you might end up with a sausage that is too dry. When the sausage
is
covered with a casing the fat stays inside until the end of cooking and
then
it drains out. That's how sausage maintains that moistness that makes it
taste like sausage. With cheese cloth it's going to come out too early,
and
you're going to have dry sausage, though with the same flavor. If I were
going to expend your effort I would use something that would accomplish
the
same thing.
Best of luck. Tell us how it comes out if you decide to try it.
Kent

I think you are right. The cheesecloth is too open.

I think the muslin casing idea may work for dry sausages, like summer
sausage, cervalot and others described in Kutas' book.

I was looking for cheap alternatives to doing it "proper". I really
outta know better after all these years!

I think I'll place an order with the Sausagemaker for casings for the
smaller sausages. I am still going to try muslin casings for the
large sausages and will likely try a few smaller sausages with muslin
jest fer the helluvit.

--
Charlie

Another Sausage Question: Casings Alan Holbrook[_5_] General Cooking 20 18-03-2015 02:23 PM
Can Oiled Cheesecloth be Substituded for Sausage Casings? zxcvbob Preserving 2 30-09-2005 08:02 AM
Sausage casings are tough. OK to restuff into new casings? Pierre Barbecue 3 07-06-2005 02:00 AM
Sausage casings M&M Barbecue 2 07-04-2004 01:26 AM
Sausage casings needed \Piedmont\ Barbecue 3 26-03-2004 03:31 PM