mikehende

Default Grilling chicken on Coal grill

Most people I know when bbquing, boil or steam the chicken first becuase it
takes a long time to cook, what I would like to know is what tips you pros
have for grilling chicken [without steaming] or any other meat that would
normally take a very long time like a big slab of steak, thanks.

Dave Bugg

mikehende wrote:
> Most people I know when bbquing, boil or steam the chicken first
> becuase it takes a long time to cook,

Mike, you've asked a lot of questions, now I'm going to give you a resource
that will answer your questions. This way you can do some research on your
own.

The BBQ FAQ
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Duwop

> mikehende wrote:
> > Most people I know when bbquing, boil or steam the chicken first
> > becuase it takes a long time to cook,

I use a barrel type grill (lotsa room) and with the coals at one end will
usually grill cut (in half) whole chick just off the coals placed just off
the coals in a sideways "V". Typically get temps of 375-450 and with
judicious turning, turn out nicely browned and cooked in 40-60 minutes
(Depending on temps and size of chick). Using lump, will add about one third
of a chimney to the grill in addition to the chimney load I start with.

The result is always moist and tasty, no pre-treatment neaded, or wanted.

phyteach

With the exception of a corned beef and cabbage boiled dinner, I can't
think of any instance where meat should be boiled.

Edwin Pawlowski

"mikehende" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
> Most people I know when bbquing, boil or steam the chicken first becuase
> it
> takes a long time to cook, what I would like to know is what tips you pros
> have for grilling chicken [without steaming] or any other meat that would
> normally take a very long time like a big slab of steak, thanks.

They do it because they are not willing to take the time to cook it right.
No mysteries here, just a little care needed. I start out on high heat, but
then move the chicken to a spot with indirect heat. It only gets turned
once and it will be nice and crispy and properly cooked. When the fat
starts to render it will drip and it can easily flare up of over hot coals
or a gas flame. That is the reason to move it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Denny Wheeler

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:24:21 -0400, "mikehende" >
wrote:

>what I would like to know is what tips you pros
>have for grilling chicken [without steaming] or any other meat that would
>normally take a very long time like a big slab of steak, thanks.

Um. A big slab of steak (assuming we're not talking one of the cuts
that needs braising or 'Qing) should be cooked to at most medium-rare.
This is easy to do.

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:30:41 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>mikehende wrote:
>> Most people I know when bbquing, boil or steam the chicken first
>> becuase it takes a long time to cook,

>Mike, you've asked a lot of questions,

ITYM, "you've made quite a few casts with an assortment of lures."

Seems to be working, too.

Denny Wheeler

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:28:30 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:30:41 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
>wrote:
>
>>mikehende wrote:
>>> Most people I know when bbquing, boil or steam the chicken first
>>> becuase it takes a long time to cook,

>>Mike, you've asked a lot of questions,

>ITYM, "you've made quite a few casts with an assortment of lures."

Mike may well be that ignorant wrt grilling/barbecue. I keep being
surprised at the "obvious" stuff people don't know.

phyteach wrote:
> With the exception of a corned beef and cabbage boiled dinner, I can't
> think of any instance where meat should be boiled.

Beef stew?

Chicken soup?

Ham and Cabbage?

Turkey Soup?

Brick

On 11-Sep-2005, "mikehende" > wrote:

> Most people I know when bbquing, boil or steam the chicken first becuase it
> takes a long time to cook, what I would like to know is what tips you pros
> have for grilling chicken [without steaming] or any other meat that would
> normally take a very long time like a big slab of steak, thanks.

This is the first I have heard of anyone boiling or steaming chicken prior to
BBQ'ing, (read 'smoke roasting'). Many of us brine birds overnight or even
for a couple of days, but it isn't necessary. Brining changes the whole
texture of a bird which many find highly desirable as a variant, but not
necessarily an exclusive method.

Perhaps your definition of 'a very long time' would be of some help here. I
can't associate 'a very long time' with any cut of steak. You put a 3# sirloin
over a 500° to 600°F fire and it'll be done in about two beers time or less.
A more normal 1-1/2# X 1" thick steak would be done before I could finish
one beer.

Whole chickens will cook in 2 hrs or so at 225° to 275°, probably 20 min's if
you cut 'em up and grill them.

I can't imagine the circumstances that would push me into boiling or
steaming chicken prior to grilling or 'Q'ing'. Maybe an old hen retired
finally after her egg laying days were over would qualify, but I'd more
likely render such a bird into stock or soup.
--
The Brick said that (While wallowing in confusion)