FoodBanter.com

-   -   Does bottom round roast make good BBQ (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/69626-does-bottom-round-roast.html)

Abe 11-09-2005 06:24 PM

Does bottom round roast make good BBQ

I've been having success with my WSM slow smoking pork ribs, and would
like to try a beef roast.

My store has a good sale on bottom round roast. Average size is 4-5
pounds.

Does it make good BBQ?

Reg 11-09-2005 06:47 PM

Abe wrote:

> I've been having success with my WSM slow smoking pork ribs, and would
> like to try a beef roast.
>
> My store has a good sale on bottom round roast. Average size is 4-5
> pounds.
>
> Does it make good BBQ?

It's not something I'd serve as a main dish to company, put it
that way. It's good in cold roast beef sandwiches though.
I'd make medium rare roast beef out of it.

Season it and brown it well on all sides. Smoke it at 250 F
until no higher than 135 F internal temp. Slice it thinly
as possible against the grain.

I usually don't serve it warm. I refrigerate it before
slicing.

Edwin Pawlowski 11-09-2005 10:23 PM

"Reg" > wrote in message
> It's not something I'd serve as a main dish to company, put it
> that way. It's good in cold roast beef sandwiches though.
> I'd make medium rare roast beef out of it.
>
> Season it and brown it well on all sides. Smoke it at 250 F
> until no higher than 135 F internal temp. Slice it thinly
> as possible against the grain.
>
> I usually don't serve it warm. I refrigerate it before
> slicing.

Why not, sliced thin it can be a tasty cut of beef. Sure, not as tender as
rib eye, or as much like bbq brisket, but it is good for what it is. I
agree, 130 to 135 is plenty of temperature.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/ -

Reg 11-09-2005 11:04 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Why not, sliced thin it can be a tasty cut of beef. Sure, not as tender as
> rib eye, or as much like bbq brisket, but it is good for what it is. I
> agree, 130 to 135 is plenty of temperature.

Why not? I guess the answer is that I have a different standard
for what I serve to guests than what I eat myself every day. There's
quite a spectrum of quality between bottom round and rib eye, and
between the two there's a minimum that I'd serve to guests.

It's not about trying to impress. My own experience is that the better
food tastes even better when shared.

I'd only put bottom round in my own lunches, for instance. If guests
were coming over I'd serve top round at the very least. No need for
rib eye all the time to be sure, but once in a while it's required
to feed my addiction, and I prefer serving it on big platters to
a house full of people.

All this is completely arbitrary, of course.

Reg 12-09-2005 12:16 AM

Abe wrote:

> Well, I guess the question's moot, because I ended up buying a
> smallish whole brisket (6 lb). It's got about 3 more hours to go
> before I wrap it up and let it rest. I'm Smoking it with Cherry and my
> favorite rub.
>
> Thanks for the input guys.

What about the beer? You forgot to mention what kind of beer
you're drinking. It helps make the brisket come out just right,
especially on a Sunday.

F.G. Whitfurrows 12-09-2005 12:34 AM

Abe wrote:
> I've been having success with my WSM slow smoking pork ribs, and would
> like to try a beef roast.
>
> My store has a good sale on bottom round roast. Average size is 4-5
> pounds.
>
> Does it make good BBQ?

One of the bigger BBQ places here in the Seattle area uses bottom round
flats primarily for their BBQ beef. They don't use brisket at all. They
slice it real thin and serve it on buns with sauce. Its not bad.

--
The High Honorable Reverend
Fosco Gamgee Wooaaa.... hahaa... Whitfurrows

--Weddings performed for a nominal fee.
--Beer or magic shrooms accepted in lieu of cash payment
ROFL!

Abe 12-09-2005 12:40 AM

>> Well, I guess the question's moot, because I ended up buying a
>> smallish whole brisket (6 lb). It's got about 3 more hours to go
>> before I wrap it up and let it rest. I'm Smoking it with Cherry and my
>> favorite rub.
>>
>> Thanks for the input guys.

>What about the beer? You forgot to mention what kind of beer
>you're drinking. It helps make the brisket come out just right,
>especially on a Sunday.

I know this sounds kind of *** (no offense intended) but I'm drinking
a fine medium dry sherry. It's not hot enough today in Seattle for
beer. I need it be really hot outside to really get a thirst for beer.

Abe 12-09-2005 12:45 AM

>One of the bigger BBQ places here in the Seattle area uses bottom round
>flats primarily for their BBQ beef. They don't use brisket at all. They
>slice it real thin and serve it on buns with sauce. Its not bad.

I'm in Kirkland, and know Seattle well. Which place are you talking
about? Maybe I know it. Also, I've only seen bottom round roasts that
are pretty, well, kinda round (except for the flat fat cap side). I've
never seen a bottom round flat. Sounds interesting.

Abe 12-09-2005 01:01 AM

>>What about the beer? You forgot to mention what kind of beer
>>you're drinking. It helps make the brisket come out just right,
>>especially on a Sunday.

>I know this sounds kind of *** (no offense intended) but I'm drinking
>a fine medium dry sherry. It's not hot enough today in Seattle for
>beer. I need it be really hot outside to really get a thirst for beer.

Forgot to say that if I was drinking beer, it would be Windermere
HefeWeizen - ice cold. Yum.

Abe 12-09-2005 01:04 AM

>Why not, sliced thin it can be a tasty cut of beef. Sure, not as tender as
>rib eye, or as much like bbq brisket, but it is good for what it is. I
>agree, 130 to 135 is plenty of temperature.

I think a lightly BBQ'd bottom round sliced thin for cold cut
sandwiches would be awesome. One of these days I'll certainly try it.

Kent 12-09-2005 01:38 AM

"Reg" > wrote in message
> Abe wrote:
>
>> I've been having success with my WSM slow smoking pork ribs, and would
>> like to try a beef roast.
>>
>> My store has a good sale on bottom round roast. Average size is 4-5
>> pounds.
>>
>> Does it make good BBQ?

> It's not something I'd serve as a main dish to company, put it
> that way. It's good in cold roast beef sandwiches though.
> I'd make medium rare roast beef out of it.
>
> Season it and brown it well on all sides. Smoke it at 250 F
> until no higher than 135 F internal temp. Slice it thinly
> as possible against the grain.
>
> I usually don't serve it warm. I refrigerate it before
> slicing.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Bottom round is too tough and fatty to cook rare, and it's dry when cooked
completely. It's loaded with fat. You better take a double dose of your
statin on that day. For that reason it's best browned, and slowly braised in
the oven. The French lard bottom round and braise it long and slow to make
the "daube of larded bottom round" Marcel Proust wrote about and longed for
it when he couldn't have it frequently. It can be browned on the grill, but
then you lose the additional flavor from deglazing the pan. The tri tip
roast is a reasonable cut for browning and slow roasting on the grill to
medium rare. Even that's a bit fatty when roasted rare.
Kent

Reg 12-09-2005 02:44 AM

Abe wrote:

> I know this sounds kind of *** (no offense intended) but I'm drinking
> a fine medium dry sherry. It's not hot enough today in Seattle for
> beer. I need it be really hot outside to really get a thirst for beer.

That's funny. I just filled up my cabinet with different kinds of
sherry. I use tons of it. I think I've used it for one thing or
another every day for the last month.

Denny Wheeler 12-09-2005 04:34 AM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:01:54 -0700, Abe > wrote:

>>I know this sounds kind of *** (no offense intended) but I'm drinking
>>a fine medium dry sherry. It's not hot enough today in Seattle for
>>beer. I need it be really hot outside to really get a thirst for beer.

>Forgot to say that if I was drinking beer, it would be Windermere
>HefeWeizen - ice cold. Yum.

Hm. I'm not a beer guy, but I sort of keep up with microbrews.
Haven't heard of Windermere as a brew.
(I'm in SW Everett, btw--so not too far from Scuttlebutt. Used to
live in the Fremont so am fond of Red Hook)

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.

Denny Wheeler 12-09-2005 04:35 AM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:45:08 -0700, Abe > wrote:

>>One of the bigger BBQ places here in the Seattle area uses bottom round
>>flats primarily for their BBQ beef. They don't use brisket at all. They
>>slice it real thin and serve it on buns with sauce. Its not bad.

>I'm in Kirkland, and know Seattle well. Which place are you talking
>about? Maybe I know it. Also, I've only seen bottom round roasts that
>are pretty, well, kinda round (except for the flat fat cap side). I've
>never seen a bottom round flat. Sounds interesting.

You beat me to the question, Abe.

F.G. Whitfurrows 12-09-2005 04:56 AM

Abe wrote:
>> One of the bigger BBQ places here in the Seattle area uses bottom
>> round flats primarily for their BBQ beef. They don't use brisket at
>> all. They slice it real thin and serve it on buns with sauce. Its
>> not bad.

> I'm in Kirkland, and know Seattle well. Which place are you talking
> about? Maybe I know it.

I'm talking about Longhorn in Auburn, Renton, Kent and Pioneer Square. It
ain't the best Q but its fairly acceptable and here on the south end thats
saying alot.<g> They tend to serve their stuff with too much sauce but if ya
ask 'em they'll be nice enough to hold back. I like the ribs. I'll give 'em
that.

--
The High Honorable Reverend
Fosco Gamgee Wooaaa.... hahaa... Whitfurrows
and his 6" stoner

--Weddings performed for a nominal fee.
--Beer or magic shrooms accepted in lieu of cash payment
ROFL!

Also, I've only seen bottom round roasts that
> are pretty, well, kinda round (except for the flat fat cap side). I've
> never seen a bottom round flat. Sounds interesting.

Well....its a "bottom something flat". The word that comes to mind is round.
I talk to alot of the guys at all the restaurants and I know they don't use
brisket because I give 'em shit for it. I'm pretty sure bottom round flat is
what he said.

F.G. Whitfurrows 12-09-2005 05:20 AM

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:

Wrote a fairly reasonable reply but signed it twice. If you guys think I
didnt answer the part about the meat just keep scrolling past my sig. and
you'll see that I did.<g> Sorry.

F.G. Whitfurrows 12-09-2005 06:32 AM

Abe wrote:
>> One of the bigger BBQ places here in the Seattle area uses bottom
>> round flats primarily for their BBQ beef. They don't use brisket at
>> all. They slice it real thin and serve it on buns with sauce. Its
>> not bad.

> I'm in Kirkland, and know Seattle well. Which place are you talking
> about? Maybe I know it. Also, I've only seen bottom round roasts that
> are pretty, well, kinda round (except for the flat fat cap side). I've
> never seen a bottom round flat. Sounds interesting.

This might help. It requires Acrobat, but I imagine you have that.

http://www.rdranch.com/uDocs/bvc_bottomrnd.pdf

I admit I'm not clear on the bottom round flat thing either. Its funny, but
after he told me they didnt use brisket I was so dumbfounded I never thought
to look into finding more info on the cut they do use.

[email protected] 12-09-2005 07:42 PM

Abe wrote:
> >>What about the beer? You forgot to mention what kind of beer
> >>you're drinking. It helps make the brisket come out just right,
> >>especially on a Sunday.

> >I know this sounds kind of *** (no offense intended) but I'm drinking
> >a fine medium dry sherry. It's not hot enough today in Seattle for
> >beer. I need it be really hot outside to really get a thirst for beer.

> Forgot to say that if I was drinking beer, it would be Windermere
> HefeWeizen - ice cold. Yum.

The best bottled beer I've ever tasted is Bell's Pale Ale, from
Michigan. Only a couple of stores in StL carry it, but one is Whole
Foods. Their Porter is excellent as well. Samuel Smith's Lagers (both
the Pure Brewed and the Organic) are great too.

--Bryan