geemike

Default Indifferent brisket guy is getting in over his head.........Help??

OK, so I've been really bothered about doing a "roast beef" brisket in
the oven for our neighborhood get together. I've always been a "might
as well do it right" kind of guy, so I want to try to do my best on
this.
I pulled this off the 'net and I'm going to attempt this on my gas
grill. Please see my questions below the recipe:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
from:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef_br...are_and_cook.=
htm1
brisket, 10-12 pounds

1=2E Trim brisket of excess fat (leave about 1/4" cover). Rub brisket
thoroughly with Brisket Seasoning mixture and set aside.

2=2E Preheat entire gas grill. To obtain a smoky flavor, use a mix of
mesquite and hickory wood chips according to your gas grill directions.

3=2E Shut off one side of the grill. Use indirect heat. (Which means
placing the brisket on the opposite side of the grill from the heat,
making sure that it is not above any part of the fire.) Turn the heated
side down to low and close the cover.

4=2E Grill for about 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until the internal temperature
reaches 140=BA F. Apply the "mop" to the brisket (with a brush)
occasionally during the cooking period.

5=2E Remove the brisket from the grill, cover with favorite barbecue
sauce, and wrap tightly in heavy foil. Return to the grill (unheated
side) and cook for another 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the internal
temperature is about 200 - 210=BA F. Rotate the package so that all
sides are close to the hot side of the grill for even time periods.

6=2E Remove the meat from the fire and let rest in the foil for 30
minutes to one hour.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Steps I've taken to get this thing done:
1) Made a mop sauce consisting largely of beer, vinegar, veg. oil,
water, onion, garlic etc etc.
2) Purchased mesquite and hickory chips, which I'll soak and wrap in an
envelope consisting of a few layers of foil, open ended.
3) Cleaned the greasy muck out of my grill and checked for fuel.
4) Installed a rack 2" under my lower (main) cooking grid and layed
down a fresh layer of Char Diamonds spaced 1/4" apart.
5) Bought a couple of bottles of my fave sauce, STUBBS brand mild. I'm
sure there are better sauces, but at least I'm not using Kraft et al.

Questions:
1)Is it 250deg. that I need to try to aim for on my grill? I figure
I'll drill a 5/32" hole in the lid of my grill at the level where the
meat cooks to monitor temp and stick my temp probe through it.
2)Should I cook the brisket on the upper or lower rack?
3)When do I add the envelope full of wood chips? Should I do more that
one envelope full during the cooking process or will that be too much?
4) My grill is only 27" wide, so I'm not sure I can get all 10lbs of
the meat so it's not above a burner. I thought I might shield any meat
cooking above flame by placing a bit of foil under the char diamonds
before I light up. Will this prevent part of the meat from drying out?

My event is this Saturday, so no time for a trial run.

This group has been extremely helpful. I'll be looking forward to any
replies.

Thanks!

Mike

Reg

geemike wrote:

> Questions:
> 1)Is it 250deg. that I need to try to aim for on my grill? I figure
> I'll drill a 5/32" hole in the lid of my grill at the level where the
> meat cooks to monitor temp and stick my temp probe through it.

250 F is a good average. Don't sweat minor temp swings. It can
go as low as 200 F for a time, and as high as 300 F. That won't
hurt anything.

> 2)Should I cook the brisket on the upper or lower rack?

Whichever gets you 250 F at rack level.

> 3)When do I add the envelope full of wood chips? Should I do more that
> one envelope full during the cooking process or will that be too much?

Put it on right from the beginning. You'll might go through
more than one envelope. If you only use one, fine. In a regular
smoker I apply light smoke for the whole session but that's
definitely not a requirement.

*The important thing is to cook it right*. Job one is to take it
off when it's at the right level of tenderness. Don't worry if
you don't get quite as much smoke as you'd like.

> 4) My grill is only 27" wide, so I'm not sure I can get all 10lbs of
> the meat so it's not above a burner. I thought I might shield any meat
> cooking above flame by placing a bit of foil under the char diamonds
> before I light up. Will this prevent part of the meat from drying out?

Do what you can to deflect direct heat. You might need to use something
heavier than foil. I've used a pie tin full of sand wrapped in foil.

geemike

Great, thanks!
So the method I've pasted in the OP looks basically sound?

"geemike" > wrote:
> [...]
>
> Questions:
> 1)Is it 250deg. that I need to try to aim for on my grill? I figure
> I'll drill a 5/32" hole in the lid of my grill at the level where the
> meat cooks to monitor temp and stick my temp probe through it.
> 2)Should I cook the brisket on the upper or lower rack?
> 3)When do I add the envelope full of wood chips? Should I do more that
> one envelope full during the cooking process or will that be too much?
> 4) My grill is only 27" wide, so I'm not sure I can get all 10lbs of
> the meat so it's not above a burner. I thought I might shield any meat
> cooking above flame by placing a bit of foil under the char diamonds
> before I light up. Will this prevent part of the meat from drying out?
>
> My event is this Saturday, so no time for a trial run.
>
> This group has been extremely helpful. I'll be looking forward to any

My 2¢ (and worth every bit of it):

Don't trim the fat! Cooking indirect, fat side up! (Fat to the fire)

Using mesquite lump is fine (charcoal is charcoal), but just use the
hickory chips and those for just the first hour. Temp at grate 250° F.
It's not brain surgery. If the temp spikes to 300° F. no problem.

Don't open the grill to mop, you lose heat and increase the cooking time.
It'll be fine with that extra fat cap on it.

Don't steam it in aluminum wrap! Just cook it 'til it's 192° F inside.

After ya let it rest in the foil (put it all in a cooler if it's chilly or
windy out) for 1/2 hour, it's ready to pull.

Everything else sounds OK, but what do I know?

Drink plenty of beer, leave plenty of time, have plenty of beer on-hand for
your friends. Everybody have fun! The last is the most important part.

Curse me later. ;-D

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Reg

geemike wrote:

> Great, thanks!
> So the method I've pasted in the OP looks basically sound?

- I'd skip the mesquite and just use hickory. Mesquite is
quite strong and some people don't like it at all. Hickory
is a safe bet.

- Using foil anytime during cooking is less than optimal but
since you're trying to BBQ with a grill it may help.

- The 200-210 F final temp is a bit high. I usually pull
it off at 190-195 F and let it rest in foil for a time.
In any case, your most important test is tenderness. Stick a
fork dead center in the meat and it should twist easily (ask
yourself: would I want to bite into this?). Also, don't
be afraid to slice off a piece and give it a chew. Anything
is better than serving a rubbery, underdone brisket.

- I don't use mops. It makes things take longer because
you're letting the heat out, and it doesn't actually
help keep it moist. If anything, use a finishing sauce
when you take it off. I prefer serving sauce on the
side.

- Of the bottled sauces, Stubbs is one of the better ones.
Good choice there.

ldg

On 8 Sep 2005 22:50:13 -0700, "geemike" > wrote:

>OK, so I've been really bothered about doing a "roast beef" brisket in
>the oven for our neighborhood get together. I've always been a "might
>as well do it right" kind of guy, so I want to try to do my best on
>this.
>I pulled this off the 'net and I'm going to attempt this on my gas
>grill. Please see my questions below the recipe:
>====================================
>from:
>http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef_br..._and_cook.htm1
>brisket, 10-12 pounds
>
>1. Trim brisket of excess fat (leave about 1/4" cover). Rub brisket
>thoroughly with Brisket Seasoning mixture and set aside.
>
>2. Preheat entire gas grill. To obtain a smoky flavor, use a mix of
>mesquite and hickory wood chips according to your gas grill directions.
>

>3. Shut off one side of the grill. Use indirect heat. (Which means
>placing the brisket on the opposite side of the grill from the heat,
>making sure that it is not above any part of the fire.) Turn the heated
>side down to low and close the cover.
>
>4. Grill for about 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until the internal temperature
>reaches 140º F. Apply the "mop" to the brisket (with a brush)
>occasionally during the cooking period.
>
>5. Remove the brisket from the grill, cover with favorite barbecue
>sauce, and wrap tightly in heavy foil. Return to the grill (unheated
>side) and cook for another 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the internal
>temperature is about 200 - 210º F. Rotate the package so that all
>sides are close to the hot side of the grill for even time periods.
>
>6. Remove the meat from the fire and let rest in the foil for 30
>minutes to one hour.
>================================================= ==========

I was talking to the "Change Smoker"
http://www.imperialkamado.com/i_feature.htm

at a recent http://www.cbbqa.com/ event to find out why he wins the
brisket events so often. (He won the "Go for the Gold" event
recently.) Besides being in love with his earthen smokers, he
apparently smokes for 4 hours or so at about 225 with wood chips &
charcoal, then foils the meat to keep it moist while he finishes the
cook. Called this the "Texas Crutch". Cooks 1.5hrs per pound. To
around 190 I'd guess. He starts with the fat side down, which is
opposite of most advice.

He also seems to be pretty expert at seasonings. He said he looked at
the seasonings black people like, then what white people like, etc.
and played around until he found a combination he stays with.

I guess he wins enough of these events, the Imperial Kamodo people
asked him to be one of their reps. He didn't take the offer, but
talked about his 2 cookers for quite a while. Nice guy.

I just did 50 lbs of brisket, pork and tri-tip this weekend in my
Klose BYC. I basically did the same thing, smoking for about 4 hours,
then foiling. Turned out great. I use oak because I have it. The
brisket came out so tender you can cut it with a fork. Some say to
poke a hole in the bottom of the foil to let the grease out. I
didn't.

I just wish I knew the Change Smokers rub and sauce recipes :-)

On that note, my wife seems to like Sonny's bbq sauce. I just bought
a bunch of it for her on the net. We stopped in a Sonny's on a recent
cross country trip. It's on the sweet side. I personally like Blues
Hog. (spicey) A person gave me a bottle at a cbbqa event in San
Diego (Surf & Turf). I was just talking to a guy and he walked over
to his truck and handed me a bottle.

These sauce recipes are pretty closely guarded secrets I guess. If
anyone has a good one to start out with, please share :-)

All you really need to do is get the smoke in the meat with your
woodchips before you foil it, then cook "low & slow" until the meat
tenderizes. This is really just the same as how a crock pot works.
Once you foil the meat, you're not bbqing anymore. Extra smoke
doesn't help. Only heat from the charcoal is needed. In a pinch it
could be finished in an oven I guess.

I've been cooking and listening, trying to learn to bbq since I got
the Klose last summer. It's a great hobby. The competitions are
interesting if you like talking to nice people.

Regards,
Larry
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:06:28 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>- I don't use mops. It makes things take longer because
>you're letting the heat out, and it doesn't actually
>help keep it moist. If anything, use a finishing sauce
>when you take it off. I prefer serving sauce on the
>side.

A finishing sauce for brisket? Never heard of such a thing.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 01:37:21 -0700, ldg > wrote:

>He also seems to be pretty expert at seasonings. He said he looked at
>the seasonings black people like, then what white people like, etc.
>and played around until he found a combination he stays with.

And you still continued to listen to him? Why?

Pierre

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 01:37:21 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>
> >He also seems to be pretty expert at seasonings. He said he looked at
> >the seasonings black people like, then what white people like, etc.
> >and played around until he found a combination he stays with.

> And you still continued to listen to him? Why?

I'd've turned a deaf ear at that point too.

Pierre

Kevin S. Wilson

On 9 Sep 2005 09:02:23 -0700, "Pierre" > wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 01:37:21 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>>
>> >He also seems to be pretty expert at seasonings. He said he looked at
>> >the seasonings black people like, then what white people like, etc.
>> >and played around until he found a combination he stays with.

>> And you still continued to listen to him? Why?

>I'd've turned a deaf ear at that point too.

No kidding. That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard
anyone say.

Reg

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:06:28 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
>>- I don't use mops. It makes things take longer because
>>you're letting the heat out, and it doesn't actually
>>help keep it moist. If anything, use a finishing sauce
>>when you take it off. I prefer serving sauce on the
>>side.

> A finishing sauce for brisket? Never heard of such a thing.

Read again. I don't use one.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:30:28 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:06:28 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>>
>>>- I don't use mops. It makes things take longer because
>>>you're letting the heat out, and it doesn't actually
>>>help keep it moist. If anything, use a finishing sauce
>>>when you take it off. I prefer serving sauce on the
>>>side.

>> A finishing sauce for brisket? Never heard of such a thing.

>Read again. I don't use one.

My confusion stems from your use of "finishing sauce." I think of a
finishing sauce as something applied in the last half-hour or so of
cooking, with the intent of allowing it to warm up and carmelize
slightly. I didn't catch the part about "when you take it off."

Reg

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:30:28 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>

>>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

>>>A finishing sauce for brisket? Never heard of such a thing.

>>Read again. I don't use one.

> My confusion stems from your use of "finishing sauce." I think of a
> finishing sauce as something applied in the last half-hour or so of
> cooking, with the intent of allowing it to warm up and carmelize
> slightly. I didn't catch the part about "when you take it off."

Yes, I use the term to mean a sauce towards the end of the cook,
or right after it comes off. It's not something I do myself though.
Personally I've gone several years without using any kind of
sauce with brisket. When serving others I put out at least one
type of sauce, always on the side.

cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:30:28 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
> >Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> >> A finishing sauce for brisket? Never heard of such a thing.

> >Read again. I don't use one.

> My confusion stems from your use of "finishing sauce." I think of a
> finishing sauce as something applied in the last half-hour or so of
> cooking, with the intent of allowing it to warm up and carmelize
> slightly.

He means a glaze then?

> I didn't catch the part about "when you take it off."

I don't know about that.
ldg

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:29:03 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 01:37:21 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>
>>He also seems to be pretty expert at seasonings. He said he looked at
>>the seasonings black people like, then what white people like, etc.
>>and played around until he found a combination he stays with.

>And you still continued to listen to him? Why?

The guy happens to be black (check out the link) and I'm not, so why
not listen? If he says the spices are sometimes different between
peoples, what's the big deal? Certainly Asian and Mexican food use
different spices.

Actually, his group name, the "Change Smoker" should tell you
something. He seemed pretty far into multiculturalism and Democratic
Party politics. I'm not political so it doesn't matter to me.

I also don't waste a lot of time with political correctness,
especially when it makes so little sense . . . :-)

Regards,
Larry

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:49:41 -0700, ldg > wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:29:03 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 01:37:21 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>>
>>>He also seems to be pretty expert at seasonings. He said he looked at
>>>the seasonings black people like, then what white people like, etc.
>>>and played around until he found a combination he stays with.

>>And you still continued to listen to him? Why?

>The guy happens to be black (check out the link)

So?

>and I'm not, so why not listen?

Because he's an idiot?

>If he says the spices are sometimes different between
>peoples, what's the big deal? Certainly Asian and Mexican food use
>different spices.

There's a world of difference between talking about what spices tend
to be used in what regional or ethnic cuisine and talking about what
spices "black people like" and what spices "white people like." The
fact that you have to point to Asian and Mexican FOOD -- not to Asians
or Mexicans -- illustrates that huge difference, as does the fact that
you can't point to "black people" cuisine or "white people" cuisine.

>Actually, his group name, the "Change Smoker" should tell you
>something. He seemed pretty far into multiculturalism and Democratic
>Party politics. I'm not political so it doesn't matter to me.

There are bozos on both sides of the aisle. His alleged liberalism
doesn't make the statements any less fatuous.

>I also don't waste a lot of time with political correctness,
>especially when it makes so little sense . . . :-)

You know, not every discussion or race or race relations has to
involve the concept of "political correctness" -- whatever that phrase
is supposed to mean. Sometimes a dumb idea is just a dumb idea, as is
the case with "spices that white people like."

PS: Since when is Miracle Whip a spice?

ldg

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:09:05 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On 9 Sep 2005 09:02:23 -0700, "Pierre" > wrote:
>

>>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

>>> And you still continued to listen to him? Why?

>>I'd've turned a deaf ear at that point too.

>No kidding. That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard
>anyone say.

What on Earth could be wrong with what he said?

How does this social commentary help the original poster?

Regards,
Larry
ldg

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:12:45 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:49:41 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:29:03 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
>>wrote:

>>>And you still continued to listen to him? Why?

>>The guy happens to be black (check out the link)

>So?
>
>>and I'm not, so why not listen?

>Because he's an idiot?

He's winning contests with whatever he's doing. I'll listen, thanks.
He's a great guy with great Q. However he wants to explain it is fine
by me.

>>If he says the spices are sometimes different between
>>peoples, what's the big deal? Certainly Asian and Mexican food use
>>different spices.

>There's a world of difference between talking about what spices tend
>to be used in what regional or ethnic cuisine and talking about what
>spices "black people like" and what spices "white people like." The
>fact that you have to point to Asian and Mexican FOOD -- not to Asians
>or Mexicans -- illustrates that huge difference, as does the fact that
>you can't point to "black people" cuisine or "white people" cuisine.

So you say that there is no black culture and that there's no way
possible for it to be different than what you know? You're very lucky
to know so much!.

I've heard some of the best Q comes from southern blacks. This is why
I stopped in various BBQ places across the south on a recent trip.
Since I'm not as smart as you, and I want to learn a little about
what these folks are doing, it pays for me to be quiet and listen - if
they're willing to talk to me for a while.

>PS: Since when is Miracle Whip a spice?

huh?

I don't understand how this race based commentary helps the original
poster do a little brisket.

Regards,
Larry
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:29:06 -0700, ldg > wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:09:05 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
>wrote:

>>>I'd've turned a deaf ear at that point too.

>>No kidding. That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard
>>anyone say.

>What on Earth could be wrong with what he said?

If you don't understand what's pig-headed dumb about saying that black
people and white people like different spices, or that either group
likes a particular set of spices, then I'm not sure I could explain it
to you if I started yesterday and lived to be a hundred.

>How does this social commentary help the original poster?

Read what I said again. It's pretty clear to me that the sub-text is,
"Why would you think a bozo capable of saying something that dumb
would know anything about anything?" Suggesting that he consider the
source of his information is providing help, regardless of whether
it's the help he was expecting.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:48:07 -0700, ldg > wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:12:45 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:49:41 -0700, ldg > wrote:

>>>The guy happens to be black (check out the link)

>>So?
>>
>>>and I'm not, so why not listen?

>>Because he's an idiot?

>He's winning contests with whatever he's doing.

Contests. I see. <yawn>

>I'll listen, thanks.
>He's a great guy with great Q. However he wants to explain it is fine
>by me.

Good for you. I prefer to be a bit more discriminating about my
sources of information, figuring that if someone is capable of making
-- and apparently believing -- such nonsense, then he's probably wrong
about a lot more other things.

>>>If he says the spices are sometimes different between
>>>peoples, what's the big deal? Certainly Asian and Mexican food use
>>>different spices.

>>There's a world of difference between talking about what spices tend
>>to be used in what regional or ethnic cuisine and talking about what
>>spices "black people like" and what spices "white people like." The
>>fact that you have to point to Asian and Mexican FOOD -- not to Asians
>>or Mexicans -- illustrates that huge difference, as does the fact that
>>you can't point to "black people" cuisine or "white people" cuisine.
>>

>So you say that there is no black culture

No, I didn't say that. You did, just now. Stop putting words in my
mouth.

> and that there's no way
>possible for it to be different than what you know?

Didn't say that, either. You don't read so good, do you?

>You're very lucky to know so much!.

Yes, I suppose I am. For one thing, it keeps me from embarrassing
myself by repeating pig-ignorant nonsense.

>I've heard some of the best Q comes from southern blacks. This is why
>I stopped in various BBQ places across the south on a recent trip.
> Since I'm not as smart as you, and I want to learn a little about
>what these folks are doing, it pays for me to be quiet and listen - if
>they're willing to talk to me for a while.

What's any of that got to do with the pig-ignorant nonsense you
repeated?

>>PS: Since when is Miracle Whip a spice?

>huh?
>
>I don't understand how this race based commentary helps the original
>poster do a little brisket.

Since when is that my job?

geemike

One thing I like about Reg, he dishes out advice that will help the OP
render the best result possible in *their* situation. Too many in
Usenetland judgementally hand out advice focused on thier capabilities
and desired outcome. It's an easy thing to do for hobby geeks (myself
included) that are passionately into their fave pastime.

Thanks to all here. I bought two briskets. Have one on the grill now,
will do the other tomorrow. Might be able to fine tune my method a bit
in the process.
Mike

ldg

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:10:45 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:48:07 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>

>Stop putting words in my mouth.
>
>>You're very lucky to know so much!.

>Yes, I suppose I am. For one thing, it keeps me from embarrassing
>myself by repeating pig-ignorant nonsense.
>>
>>I don't understand how this race based commentary helps the original
>>poster do a little brisket.

>Since when is that my job?

I've just read some of your other posts in this newsgroup and see what
words come out of your mouth. I encourage others to do the same.

I don't know what your job is, but I'd imagine you're just as
competent at it as I see you are with BBQ and basic human interaction.

You are VERY impressive to someone like me. I really mean it. It's
not often you see someone so knowledgeable and so good natured at the
same time!

Of course, it doesn't take much to entertain me anymore. I've even
enjoyed just watching the bug zapper ...

:-)

Regards,
Larry
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:25:53 -0700, ldg > wrote:

>I've just read some of your other posts in this newsgroup and see what
>words come out of your mouth.

Wonderful. Another leg-humper joins the crowd with Dank and CAL. Will
you soon be following me from group to group?

NotHome

"geemike" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> One thing I like about Reg, he dishes out advice that will help the OP
> render the best result possible in *their* situation. Too many in
> Usenetland judgementally hand out advice focused on thier capabilities
> and desired outcome.

That is not true. Just the otherday, I told a newb how to cook 'Q on a
OleHickory SSJ.

ldg

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:43:39 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:25:53 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>>
>>I've just read some of your other posts in this newsgroup and see what
>>words come out of your mouth.

>Wonderful. Another leg-humper joins the crowd with Dank and CAL. Will
>you soon be following me from group to group?

No need. From google:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...am-court_x.htm
http://news.boisestate.edu/UPDATE/up.../may92003.html
http://www.barbecueamerica.com/reviews.cfm?rev=5
-

http://maps.google.com/maps?li=rwp&q...SE,+ID+837 09

http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/...id=oid%3A16954
http://news.boisestate.edu/UPDATE/2005/08172005/

There's more. Google spits out your address and phone number for some
reason. Not nice to post.

The great part is that if some of this is correct, you're the
nationally known anti-spam guy! Considering your performance in this
group, this is far better than watching the bug zapper!

I was hoping to read some of that famous prose . . .

I knew you'd be famous!

Regards,
Larry

NotHome

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:25:53 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>>
>>I've just read some of your other posts in this newsgroup and see what
>>words come out of your mouth.

> Wonderful. Another leg-humper joins the crowd with Dank and CAL. Will
> you soon be following me from group to group?

Sweety (not in the endearing way), I think you are the one attached to my
right leg considering how muc unsolicited air time you have been giving me.
I'm gonna shake it a few more times just in case!

NotHome

"ldg" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:43:39 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:25:53 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>>>
>>>I've just read some of your other posts in this newsgroup and see what
>>>words come out of your mouth.

>>Wonderful. Another leg-humper joins the crowd with Dank and CAL. Will
>>you soon be following me from group to group?

> No need. From google:
> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...am-court_x.htm
> http://news.boisestate.edu/UPDATE/up.../may92003.html
> http://www.barbecueamerica.com/reviews.cfm?rev=5
> -
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?li=rwp&q...SE,+ID+837 09
>
> http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/...id=oid%3A16954
> http://news.boisestate.edu/UPDATE/2005/08172005/
>
> There's more. Google spits out your address and phone number for some
> reason. Not nice to post.
>
> The great part is that if some of this is correct, you're the
> nationally known anti-spam guy! Considering your performance in this
> group, this is far better than watching the bug zapper!
>
> I was hoping to read some of that famous prose . . .
>
> I knew you'd be famous!
>
> Regards,
> Larry

We will be seeing yah in ARK!

geemike

Wasn't painting everyone with one brush, but I stand by statement as
relates to usenet for groups of all persuasions.

NotHome

"geemike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Wasn't painting everyone with one brush, but I stand by statement as
> relates to usenet for groups of all persuasions.

Do a google on the pit I just mentioned

ldg

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:55:35 GMT, "NotHome" > wrote:

>We will be seeing yah in ARK!

What's ARK?

Matthew L. Martin

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:25:53 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>
>>I've just read some of your other posts in this newsgroup and see what
>>words come out of your mouth.

> Wonderful. Another leg-humper joins the crowd with Dank and CAL. Will
> you soon be following me from group to group?

Whatever it is that you have that attracts them, I'm really, really glad
I don't have it.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
geemike

NotHome wrote:
> "geemike" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Wasn't painting everyone with one brush, but I stand by statement as
> > relates to usenet for groups of all persuasions.
> >

> Do a google on the pit I just mentioned

Oh, gotcha :-)

ldg > wrote:
> Kevin S. Wilson > [who?]
> >On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:49:41 -0700, ldg > wrote:
> >>Kevin S. Wilson > [who?]

> >>The guy happens to be black (check out the link)

> >So?
> >
> >>and I'm not, so why not listen?

> >Because he's an idiot?

> He's winning contests with whatever he's doing. I'll listen, thanks.
> He's a great guy with great Q. However he wants to explain it is fine
> by me.
> >
> >>If he says the spices are sometimes different between
> >>peoples, what's the big deal? Certainly Asian and Mexican food use
> >>different spices.

> >There's a world of difference between talking about what spices tend
> >to be used in what regional or ethnic cuisine and talking about what
> >spices "black people like" and what spices "white people like." The
> >fact that you have to point to Asian and Mexican FOOD -- not to Asians
> >or Mexicans -- illustrates that huge difference, as does the fact that
> >you can't point to "black people" cuisine or "white people" cuisine.
> >

> So you say that there is no black culture and that there's no way
> possible for it to be different than what you know? You're very lucky
> to know so much!.
>
> I've heard some of the best Q comes from southern blacks. This is why
> I stopped in various BBQ places across the south on a recent trip.
> Since I'm not as smart as you, and I want to learn a little about
> what these folks are doing, it pays for me to be quiet and listen - if
> they're willing to talk to me for a while.
> >
> >PS: Since when is Miracle Whip a spice?

> huh?
>
> I don't understand how this race based commentary helps the original
> poster do a little brisket.

I gotta say, my black ex taught me a lot of dishes that this Sichy kid from
da Bronx never had, as did my French-Austrian ex, my Puerto Rican ex, my
Mexican ex, and as does my Thai wife of 15 years. That being said, I also
don't really understand how this commentary helps the original poster do a
_little_ brisket (although a packer cut would be better). ;-/

"geemike" > wrote:
> One thing I like about Reg, he dishes out advice that will help the OP
> render the best result possible in *their* situation. Too many in
> Usenetland judgementally hand out advice focused on thier capabilities
> and desired outcome. It's an easy thing to do for hobby geeks (myself
> included) that are passionately into their fave pastime.
>
> Thanks to all here. I bought two briskets. Have one on the grill now,
> will do the other tomorrow. Might be able to fine tune my method a bit
> in the process.

Good on ya, Mike! Life is an experiment. Hope they turns out adequately.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:26:11 -0400, "Matthew L. Martin"
> wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:25:53 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>>
>>>I've just read some of your other posts in this newsgroup and see what
>>>words come out of your mouth.

>> Wonderful. Another leg-humper joins the crowd with Dank and CAL. Will
>> you soon be following me from group to group?
>>

>Whatever it is that you have that attracts them, I'm really, really glad
>I don't have it.

Just a matter of time, Matthew. If you want to speed up the process,
talk about a Net k00k rather than talking to him. Haven't you noticed
CAL jumping up and down and waving his arms, following-up to
everything I post, following me from froup to froup, all in a pathetic
attempt to get my attention? Hell, he even created a sock-puppet just
to get me to talk TO him, rather than mock and taunt him by talking
ABOUT him. Dank does the same thing, as I expect this current ******
will.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:52:30 -0700, ldg > wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:43:39 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:25:53 -0700, ldg > wrote:
>>>
>>>I've just read some of your other posts in this newsgroup and see what
>>>words come out of your mouth.

>>Wonderful. Another leg-humper joins the crowd with Dank and CAL. Will
>>you soon be following me from group to group?

>No need. From google:
>http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...am-court_x.htm
>http://news.boisestate.edu/UPDATE/up.../may92003.html
>http://www.barbecueamerica.com/reviews.cfm?rev=5
>-

And your point is what, exactly, Mr. No-Name Nobody with a Throw-Away
Hotmail Address?

>http://maps.google.com/maps?li=rwp&q...SE,+ID+837 09

Stalk much, No-Name Nobody? Let me help you out he Last time I
checked the voter rolls, there were 11 Kevin Wilsons in Boise. You
have 10 more to go. Want me to save you some time by posting my
address and phone number? Not everyone on the Net is an anonymous
coward, Anonymous Coward.

>http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/...id=oid%3A16954
>http://news.boisestate.edu/UPDATE/2005/08172005/

And your point is what, exactly?

>There's more. Google spits out your address and phone number for some
>reason. Not nice to post.

Ah, but you thought you had done just that, above. Am I supposed to be
afeared?

>The great part is that if some of this is correct, you're the
>nationally known anti-spam guy! Considering your performance in this
>group, this is far better than watching the bug zapper!
>
>I was hoping to read some of that famous prose . . .
>
>I knew you'd be famous!

Poking you with a pointy stick is going to be fun, son. For one thing,
you get poked and you immediately launch into Net k00k mode. None of
this waiting around for weeks like with some of the other frothing
loons. Nuh-uh. You jump right to the Net stalking, do not pass GO, do
not collect $200. All because you got lightly spanked for posting
pig-ignorant nonsense. Like I say, you're going to be fun.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:52:30 -0700, ldg > wrote:

>http://www.barbecueamerica.com/reviews.cfm?rev=5

If the "Wall Street Journal" ever wants to know about spices that
white people like and spices that black people like, I guess you're
the man.

NotHome

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> Haven't you noticed
> CAL jumping up and down and waving his arms, following-up to
> everything I post

Doubt he has noticed considering the signal to noise ratio is very low
lately (in both froups). Actually it is hard to not reply to a post that you
are involved in really given the constant 'did not, did too' discussions
you have going on.

Can I get a witness?

Denny Wheeler

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:59:21 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>If you don't understand what's pig-headed dumb about saying that black
>people and white people like different spices, or that either group
>likes a particular set of spices, then I'm not sure I could explain it
>to you if I started yesterday and lived to be a hundred.

I guess there's no cultural difference between US blacks and US
whites, eh? Taste in foods--spices especially--has a very great deal
to do with cultural context. Now, it may be that in some parts of
this country, there's no cultural differences--but I've never seen
one. Sure, in any given area, there's mixing; whites who love soul
food, blacks who don't, etc.

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.
Denny Wheeler

wrote:

>>I don't understand how this race based commentary helps the original
>>poster do a little brisket.

>Since when is that my job?

Clearly your job is to fill a 'request for help' thread with off-topic
yammering.