Tom Puskar

Default 2nd batch of ribs

I want to thank everyone who provided guidance and direction when I posted I
was new to the group.

My first batch of ribs were, well, not so great--raw actually!

Having read plenty of posts and most of the BBQ FAQ, I saw the error of my
ways and the second batch was great! Even my wife liked them and she's not
into BBQ so much.

I still need some refinements in technique, but I'm hooked!

My goal is to smoke a turkey and a duck for T'giving so any guidance would
be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Tom in Howell, NJ

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:56:58 -0400, "Tom Puskar"
> wrote:

>My goal is to smoke a turkey and a duck for T'giving so any guidance would
>be appreciated.

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm

Roasted turkey on a Kamado, but you might find some useful information
there.

Brick

On 8-Sep-2005, "Tom Puskar" > wrote:

> I want to thank everyone who provided guidance and direction when I posted I
> was new to the group.
>
> My first batch of ribs were, well, not so great--raw actually!
>
> Having read plenty of posts and most of the BBQ FAQ, I saw the error of my
> ways and the second batch was great! Even my wife liked them and she's not
> into BBQ so much.
>
> I still need some refinements in technique, but I'm hooked!
>
> My goal is to smoke a turkey and a duck for T'giving so any guidance would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Tom in Howell, NJ

I strongly recommend you arrange a drip pan for the duck. I would't try to grill
one direct, but any kind of indirect will be good. Ducks give up a huge amount
of fat during cooking. Also, if you can capture the fat and keep it clean, it's
good stuff to use in a variety of ways later. Yeh, I know it's pure heart attack
food, but it's too good to bypass completely.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Jon

Brick wrote:

> I strongly recommend you arrange a drip pan for the duck. I would't try to grill
> one direct, but any kind of indirect will be good. Ducks give up a huge amount
> of fat during cooking. Also, if you can capture the fat and keep it clean, it's
> good stuff to use in a variety of ways later. Yeh, I know it's pure heart attack
> food, but it's too good to bypass completely.

Duck fat is awesome stuff. My favorite use for it is to blanch fresh
green beans (just enough to soften them a tiny bit), then saute them
quickly in the duck fat with a little bit of minced garlic. A little
salt and pepper, and they're ready to serve - they're my favorite
green-veggie side dish to go with grilled steak or pork chops.

Jon

Brick

On 9-Sep-2005, Jon > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > I strongly recommend you arrange a drip pan for the duck. I would't try to grill
> > one direct, but any kind of indirect will be good. Ducks give up a huge amount
> > of fat during cooking. Also, if you can capture the fat and keep it clean, it's
> > good stuff to use in a variety of ways later. Yeh, I know it's pure heart attack
> > food, but it's too good to bypass completely.

> Duck fat is awesome stuff. My favorite use for it is to blanch fresh
> green beans (just enough to soften them a tiny bit), then saute them
> quickly in the duck fat with a little bit of minced garlic. A little
> salt and pepper, and they're ready to serve - they're my favorite
> green-veggie side dish to go with grilled steak or pork chops.
>
> Jon

My mouth is watering. Long live duck fat.

Jon > wrote:
> Brick wrote:
>
> > I strongly recommend you arrange a drip pan for the duck. I would't try
> > to grill one direct, but any kind of indirect will be good. Ducks give
> > up a huge amount of fat during cooking. Also, if you can capture the
> > fat and keep it clean, it's good stuff to use in a variety of ways
> > later. Yeh, I know it's pure heart attack food, but it's too good to
> > bypass completely.

> Duck fat is awesome stuff. My favorite use for it is to blanch fresh
> green beans (just enough to soften them a tiny bit), then saute them
> quickly in the duck fat with a little bit of minced garlic. A little
> salt and pepper, and they're ready to serve - they're my favorite
> green-veggie side dish to go with grilled steak or pork chops.

I like to just smear it on toast in the AM, but that sounds good, too.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Reg

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> Sadly, I have duck fat around the house, but I am adequately supplied
> by chicken fat. It works well too.

Duck fat is one of my favorites, second only to goose fat.
I used to get all my duck fat by filtering the cooked fat
left in the bottom of roasting pans. It wasn't very efficient,
at least for getting large amounts. It also wasn't very
clean. The fat always has at least some aftertaste.

Here's the method I use now that I learned from a James
Peterson book. I do this with 4 or 5 ducks at a time.

I break down a the ducks and remove the breasts
and legs. The rest of the carcasses get stripped
of all skin and fat. The trim goes to stock. Then I take
all the skin and fat and puree it in a food processor
in batches.

Once it's made into a fine paste, it can be rendered
at low heat in a pan. Low heat is what makes the difference
because burning or scorching can give it an aftertaste. It
then gets strained and the solids get turned into cracklings
that I use in salads and garnishes.

The result is a pure white, clean fat with no aftertaste
at all.

I would do this with goose too if it wasn't such
expensive stuff.

Dinner tonight - kraut and ribs; tomorrow, ribs; kabocha squashes Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 10 19-11-2008 05:52 AM
bad batch k-dawg Winemaking 9 23-04-2006 09:43 PM
Batch to batch variability Leo Bueno Wine 11 26-11-2005 10:27 PM
Are beef (back) ribs the same as short ribs? Timothy Sebora Barbecue 1 15-07-2004 03:56 PM
Back Ribs vs Spare Ribs - Cooking/Smoking/Grilling Bob Hayden Barbecue 6 05-01-2004 06:46 PM