mikehende

Default recipes for BBQ Sauce?

I am getting a little tired of the same taste everytime I grill, I use only
the Big bottle of BBQ Sauce from Costco but have been told that people mix
that sauce with different things, I don't like the taste of "Honey" and I
can't use pepper becuase I grill mainly for my kids so besides those two
ingredients, can anyone share their recipes with me please so I can have
some varieties to choose from? Thanks.

Reg

mikehende wrote:

> I am getting a little tired of the same taste everytime I grill, I use only
> the Big bottle of BBQ Sauce from Costco but have been told that people mix
> that sauce with different things, I don't like the taste of "Honey" and I
> can't use pepper becuase I grill mainly for my kids so besides those two
> ingredients, can anyone share their recipes with me please so I can have
> some varieties to choose from? Thanks.

Mike,

Here's a good all around BBQ sauce. If you mention what it is you
want to use it on people can probably suggest something more
specific. I use very different sauces for chicken than for
beef, for instance.

The pickling spices used here are optional. I've done it
both ways and they can be left out with no harm done. You can
also leave out the tabasco if the kids prefer that.

Texas Style Bbq Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :
Categories : Barbecue - Sauces

1/2 pound pickling spices
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 each medium onion -- chopped
2 each stalks celery -- chopped
36 ounces ketchup
1/2 cup chili sauce
1 quart water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup light brown sugar -- packed
1/4 tablespoon garlic -- powder
1 tablespoon salt -- to taste
1 tablespoon tabasco
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Tie pickling spices and cloves loosely in cheesecloth bag. Combine all
ingredients in a heavy pot; heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer
slowly, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat; cool partially. Remove
spice bag. Pour mixture into blender and blend until smooth. Cover
until ready to serve.

Source: "The Great Barbecue Companion, Mops, Sops, Sauces, and
Rubs" by Bruce Bjorkman

Dave Bugg

mikehende wrote:
> I am getting a little tired of the same taste everytime I grill, I
> use only the Big bottle of BBQ Sauce from Costco ...

The BBQ FAQ has a few recipes that you might try
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-3.html#9.4

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Dimitri

"mikehende" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
>I am getting a little tired of the same taste everytime I grill, I use only
> the Big bottle of BBQ Sauce from Costco but have been told that people mix
> that sauce with different things, I don't like the taste of "Honey" and I
> can't use pepper becuase I grill mainly for my kids so besides those two
> ingredients, can anyone share their recipes with me please so I can have
> some varieties to choose from? Thanks.

There are about a gazillion recipes on the web and many depends on the type of
food and region of the country. They range from cider vinegar, ketchup and hot
pepper based sauces to white mayonnaise based sauces and of course the
"traditional red sauces"

Take a look here at the BBQ FAQ section on sauces

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-3.html#9.4

Remember there are Mops, glazes and dipping sauces.

Have fun,

Dimitri

dwåcôn

"mikehende" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
>I am getting a little tired of the same taste everytime I grill, I use only
> the Big bottle of BBQ Sauce from Costco but have been told that people mix
> that sauce with different things, I don't like the taste of "Honey" and I
> can't use pepper becuase I grill mainly for my kids so besides those two
> ingredients, can anyone share their recipes with me please so I can have
> some varieties to choose from? Thanks.

You can mix some ketchup with some mustard, some apple cider vinegar and
some honey -- vary quantities till it tastes just right.

--
Jennifer Lopez Lingerie *plus* Gourmet Goodies
www.cafepress.com/dwacon

mikehende wrote:
> I am getting a little tired of the same taste everytime I grill, I use only
> the Big bottle of BBQ Sauce from Costco but have been told that people mix
> that sauce with different things, I don't like the taste of "Honey" and I
> can't use pepper becuase I grill mainly for my kids so besides those two
> ingredients, can anyone share their recipes with me please so I can have
> some varieties to choose from? Thanks.

There is a product called "Pure Cap" that you can buy online.
This site has it, but you might find it cheaper if you look around:
http://www.firegirl.com/hs1154.html

Add judiciously to Maull's Original BBQ Sauce.
http://www.maull.com/about.html

I fill a bowl with Maull's and add a few drops of Pure Cap and mix.
I use ~3/4 of the bowl for first basting. Then I top off the bowl and
mix up for the second. I repeat this a few times. It cooks the heat
into the meat, but the final coating of sauce isn't overly hot.

--Bryan

> mikehende wrote:
> > I am getting a little tired of the same taste everytime I grill, [] can
> > anyone share their recipes with me please so I can have some varieties
> > to choose from? Thanks.

> There is a product called "Pure Cap" that you can buy online.
> This site has it, but you might find it cheaper if you look around:

http://www.firegirl.com/hs1154.html

> Add judiciously to Maull's Original BBQ Sauce.
> http://www.maull.com/about.html

Bryan, please stop cross-posting. It not only brings people in here that
are sometimes a little um . . . can't think of the word, but even worse,
old fools like me don't notice the cross-post 'til after I've replied.
Thanks.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

mikehende

Appreciate the help everyone, hoever, like I said, I don't wish to use both
Honey and any sort of spice/pepper because of the kids. Also, I looked at
the links given and have browsed through the FAQ's on recipes, most of
them require mixing a lot of ingredients and either simmering or boiling
in a saucepan, what I would like is to simply add some ingredients to the
store bought sauce itself [Costco's Kraft Classic Recipe's Sauce], mix it
up and paste on the meat, I am going to try adding ketchup and mustard as
one experiment, any ohter ideas along this line please? Thanks.

Hairy

"mikehende" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
> Appreciate the help everyone, hoever, like I said, I don't wish to use

both
> Honey and any sort of spice/pepper because of the kids. Also, I looked at
> the links given and have browsed through the FAQ's on recipes, most of
> them require mixing a lot of ingredients and either simmering or boiling
> in a saucepan, what I would like is to simply add some ingredients to the
> store bought sauce itself [Costco's Kraft Classic Recipe's Sauce], mix it
> up and paste on the meat, I am going to try adding ketchup and mustard as
> one experiment, any ohter ideas along this line please? Thanks.

Are the kids allergic to spices/pepper? Any sauce you make is apt to be
pretty bland without any spices. I'd think it would be difficult to find any
prepared sauces that are devoid of spices("of any kind").

Dave

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 07:53:28 -0400, "mikehende" >
wrote:

>Appreciate the help everyone, hoever, like I said, I don't wish to use both
>Honey and any sort of spice/pepper because of the kids. Also, I looked at
>the links given and have browsed through the FAQ's on recipes, most of
>them require mixing a lot of ingredients and either simmering or boiling
>in a saucepan, what I would like is to simply add some ingredients to the
>store bought sauce itself [Costco's Kraft Classic Recipe's Sauce], mix it
>up and paste on the meat, I am going to try adding ketchup and mustard as
>one experiment, any ohter ideas along this line please? Thanks.

Oh. Okay, then. Combine equal parts Costco's Kraft Classic Recipe
Sauce and KC Masterpiece.

Dimitri

"mikehende" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
> Appreciate the help everyone, hoever, like I said, I don't wish to use both
> Honey and any sort of spice/pepper because of the kids. Also, I looked at
> the links given and have browsed through the FAQ's on recipes, most of
> them require mixing a lot of ingredients and either simmering or boiling
> in a saucepan, what I would like is to simply add some ingredients to the
> store bought sauce itself [Costco's Kraft Classic Recipe's Sauce], mix it
> up and paste on the meat, I am going to try adding ketchup and mustard as
> one experiment, any ohter ideas along this line please? Thanks.

It's a little confusing;

If you add any liquid you're going to thin the sauce - if that's ok then start
experimenting with different fruit juices. Apple Juice, orange juice, pineapple
juice etc.

If you like the flavors then extra onion and/or garlic powders work well too as
will powdered ginger or mustard. If you add dried herbs then you will have to
let the sauce steep for several days to let the herbs reconstitute.

If you like the "smokey" flavor or more of it - then add liquid smoke.

More sweet - use brown sugar or molasses if you like that flavor.

Adding A-1, Heinz is also a nice addition as is Worcestershire sauce.

Dimitri

John O

Out of a jar, I like Sweet Baby Ray's. It's from Chicago, and you might not
be able to get it everywhere. It's not spicy or dark and smoky, it's got a
less sweet flavor than KC Mast, and it's a bit thinner. Better flavor, I
think. Beats the snot outta that Kraft stuff. ;-)

In a separate dish, add some reg'lar sauce and toss in a couple drops of
Tobasco. Use that for yourself and the missus.

Make the kids envious of the great stuff you're eating, and maybe they'll
bite. Teaching them to like the spicier (not necessarily hot) foods makes it
easier for them to try new things. Don't baby them, unless they're babies.
<g>

-John O

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:56:10 GMT, "John O"
> wrote:

>Out of a jar, I like Sweet Baby Ray's. It's from Chicago, and you might not
>be able to get it everywhere

Albertsons and Winco carry it.

Denny Wheeler

wrote:

>Appreciate the help everyone, hoever, like I said, I don't wish to use both
>Honey and any sort of spice/pepper because of the kids. Also, I looked at
>the links given and have browsed through the FAQ's on recipes, most of
>them require mixing a lot of ingredients and either simmering or boiling
>in a saucepan, what I would like is to simply add some ingredients to the
>store bought sauce itself [Costco's Kraft Classic Recipe's Sauce], mix it
>up and paste on the meat, I am going to try adding ketchup and mustard as
>one experiment, any ohter ideas along this line please? Thanks.

One very very simple glazing sauce you might try--goes nicely on pork,
Polish sausage, and similar:
2 parts brown sugar, 1 part prepared mustard (the plain yellow stuff
is fine), one part vinegar (I use cider vinegar, but it may not matter
much)--mix 'em together and simmer for just a few minutes, stirring a
lot. The simmering isn't absolutely necessary, but the ingredients
mix a lot better that way.
Brush it on for the last 20 or so minutes of the cook.

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.
mikehende

I tried mixing the Kraft with ketchup and Mustard yesterday, tasted great,
will try the A1 next time and keep on experimenting with each of the
recipes given here one at a time, many thanks to all of you.

> > mikehende wrote:
> > > I am getting a little tired of the same taste everytime I grill, [] can
> > > anyone share their recipes with me please so I can have some varieties
> > > to choose from? Thanks.

> > There is a product called "Pure Cap" that you can buy online.
> > This site has it, but you might find it cheaper if you look around:

http://www.firegirl.com/hs1154.html

> > Add judiciously to Maull's Original BBQ Sauce.
> > http://www.maull.com/about.html
> >

> Bryan, please stop cross-posting. It not only brings people in here that
> are sometimes a little um . . . can't think of the word, but even worse,
> old fools like me don't notice the cross-post 'til after I've replied.
> Thanks.

Another view is that as long as the posts are on-topic, it can generate
interest in the NG by more (and more diverse) people, but the word,
"please," is mighty powerful in these parts.
Hey, is anyone else familiar with Pure Cap?

--Bryan

Reg wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Hey, is anyone else familiar with Pure Cap?

> I've not used that particular one, but I have used various
> capsaisin extracts.
>
> It's a good idea, really. "Pure heat". I use it to adjust
> the amount of heat in various smoked, dried, ground
> pepper mixtures.
>
> Before drying them I strip out all the seeds and placenta
> (white veins) and thereby remove as much of the heat as possible.
> The dried peppers end up with a minimum of heat and a maximum
> of the other flavors (citrus, coffee, spice, etc).
>
> Then I add back in as much pure capsaisin as I need to
> get just the right level of heat I'm looking for. That
> way I'm not bound to that particular pepper's inherent
> heat level and I can create with more flexibility.
>
> But I'd also add, I found I don't need to buy any Pure Cap
> type products. I just make my own. I take the seeds
> and placenta from some very, very hot peppers, dry them and
> grind them up. Works fine for me.

When I buy a new bottle of PureCap, I share it with a few friends. We
all empty out the rest of our leftover stuff from the year before (it
loses potency) and split the bottle 4 ways. You also need to replace
the eye dropper because after a year or so the rubber degrades.

> Just make sure you do the grinding *outdoors*. Heh.

I have found a use for vegetable shortening. We keep non-hydrogenated
palm oil around and it's good for removing capsaicin from fingers.
Just use it like GOOP. You have to do it several times, depending on
the extent of exposure, but it works much better than soap and water,
and even better than 91% alcohol.
I've hurt myself--not injured, but hurt--with capsaicin so many times
and in so many ways. Mmmm. Now I'm thinking back to Memorial Day
morning and the hickory smoked, cheese-stuffed poblanos.

--Bryan

Reg > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > When I buy a new bottle of PureCap, I share it with a few friends. We
> > all empty out the rest of our leftover stuff from the year before (it
> > loses potency) and split the bottle 4 ways. You also need to replace
> > the eye dropper because after a year or so the rubber degrades.

> It melts the rubber, eh? Yikes.
>
> > I have found a use for vegetable shortening. We keep non-hydrogenated
> > palm oil around and it's good for removing capsaicin from fingers.
> > Just use it like GOOP. You have to do it several times, depending on
> > the extent of exposure, but it works much better than soap and water,
> > and even better than 91% alcohol.
> > I've hurt myself--not injured, but hurt--with capsaicin so many times
> > and in so many ways. Mmmm. Now I'm thinking back to Memorial Day
> > morning and the hickory smoked, cheese-stuffed poblanos.

> Great tip, thanks.
>
> When I do the grinding of the super hot stuff I do it outside,
> and I also add another layer of protection. Using a spice grinder,
> I wrap a plastic bag around it before hitting the button.
>
> Everyone I know, to a person, that has experimented with grinding
> hot dried peppers has a story about rendering their kitchen
> uninhabitable for a time.

You don't wanna be in our kitchen when Jun is roasting those little Thai
peppers in a dry wok. Neither do I! Makes my eyes water, makes me cough and
sneeze, and she just stands there stirrin' em. I put the kitchen in
lock-down 'til she's done! ;-/

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Alan S

"mikehende" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
>I tried mixing the Kraft with ketchup and Mustard yesterday, tasted great,
> will try the A1 next time and keep on experimenting with each of the
> recipes given here one at a time, many thanks to all of you.

Here are some things that you can add to BBQ sauce that make it interesting
without making it hot:

Garlic and/or Onions (I use both)
Dill Pickle Juice (Go light with it, it is a strong flavor)
Mustard
Peach Preserves
Bourbon
Pinto Bean Juice (That is nice with black pepper, use it as the base instead
of a tomato base and build your sauce from there)
A Touch of Orange Juice
Worsteshire Sauce
Beer (Not overy hopped beer it can make it taste bitter)
Coffee
Red Wine

Those are things I have tried and had good success with. Here is a link with
more info: http://www.samcooks.com/flavor/BBQ_Sauce.htm

- A -