Member

Default Decisions, decisions

Hi all, I just joined this site today and I'm hoping for some feedback on BBQ grills. (I hope this topic is allowed in this forum).

We're in the process of building a BBQ island and I'm trying to decide between two brands; Viking and DCS. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two, and would you share your valuable experience?
Thanks, 8x10

8x10 > wrote:
> Hi all, I just joined this site today and I'm hoping for some feedback
> on BBQ grills. (I hope this topic is allowed in this forum).
>
> We're in the process of building a BBQ island and I'm trying to decide
> between two brands; Viking and DCS. Does anyone have any experience
> with either of these two, and would you share your valuable
> experience?
> Thanks, 8x10

Hi 8x10! Welcome aboard! I can't help you with specifics, but please note
that the name of this NG is alt.food.barbecue. Barbecue is shorthand for
BBQ, so yer question is definitely on-topic here. I don't know if it'll
help, but if ya haven't checked out the FAQ at
http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/default.asp I would encourage you to do so.
The Wise Ones here will help you, BTW. I'm just the village factotem.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

kilikini

> wrote in message
> 8x10 > wrote:
>
> I'm just the village factotem.

So that's what you're calling yourself these days! LOL . I love ya, Nick.

kili

Hannan

> wrote in message
> 8x10 > wrote:
>> Hi all, I just joined this site today and I'm hoping for some feedback
>> on BBQ grills. (I hope this topic is allowed in this forum).
>>
>> We're in the process of building a BBQ island and I'm trying to decide
>> between two brands; Viking and DCS. Does anyone have any experience
>> with either of these two, and would you share your valuable
>> experience?
>> Thanks, 8x10

> Hi 8x10! Welcome aboard! I can't help you with specifics, but please note
> that the name of this NG is alt.food.barbecue. Barbecue is shorthand for
> BBQ, so yer question is definitely on-topic here. I don't know if it'll
> help, but if ya haven't checked out the FAQ at
> http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/default.asp I would encourage you to do so.
> The Wise Ones here will help you, BTW. I'm just the village factotem.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
> their families:
> http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
> !

Hello Nick,

Your link to faq doesn't work for me.

Ken

Matthew L. Martin

Try <http://www.eaglequest.com/%7Ebbq/faq2/toc.html>

--
Matthew

"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people" -- Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936)

Radar

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:52:22 +0000, 8x10
> wrote:

>Hi all, I just joined this site today and I'm hoping for some feedback
>on BBQ grills. (I hope this topic is allowed in this forum).
>
>We're in the process of building a BBQ island and I'm trying to decide
>between two brands; Viking and DCS. Does anyone have any experience
>with either of these two, and would you share your valuable
>experience?
>Thanks, 8x10

I've had the 36" DCS unit for about five years and it has worked out
great for me. The ceramic-covered grates rusted a few years ago and
DCS replaced them under warranty. One thing I've started doing is
removing anything that isn't screwed on and taking it inside for the
winter. On the other hand, I'm in Seattle and maybe such precautions
aren't necessary some place where it doesn't rain every single day for
six months.

You'd probably be happy with the Viking too. From what I can tell,
it's a well made unit.

My advice is to get the widest grill that your design will permit.
Nobody ever wished they had a smaller grill.

"kilikini" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > 8x10 > wrote:
> >
> > I'm just the village factotem.
> >

> So that's what you're calling yourself these days! LOL . I love ya,
> Nick.

I was gonna say the village idiot, but then I had a Figarovian flash!

SBD Must be an old link. Try http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:
> Hannan wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > [ . . . ]
> >>http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/default.asp []

> > Hello Nick,
> >
> > Your link to faq doesn't work for me.
> >

> Try <http://www.eaglequest.com/%7Ebbq/faq2/toc.html>

Even better than the correction I just posted. Saved! Thanks, Matthew.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Brick

On 6-Sep-2005, wrote:

> 8x10 > wrote:
> > Hi all, I just joined this site today and I'm hoping for some feedback
> > on BBQ grills. (I hope this topic is allowed in this forum).
> >
> > We're in the process of building a BBQ island and I'm trying to decide
> > between two brands; Viking and DCS. Does anyone have any experience
> > with either of these two, and would you share your valuable
> > experience?
> > Thanks, 8x10

> Hi 8x10! Welcome aboard! I can't help you with specifics, but please note
> that the name of this NG is alt.food.barbecue. Barbecue is shorthand for
> BBQ, so yer question is definitely on-topic here. I don't know if it'll
> help, but if ya haven't checked out the FAQ at

http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/default.asp I would encourage you to do so.
> The Wise Ones here will help you, BTW. I'm just the village factotem.
>
> --
> Nick.

Oh you're the village 'something' alright. I'm not so sure that 'factotem' is
an accurate description though. I luv's you anyway.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

bk

"Radar" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:52:22 +0000, 8x10
> > wrote:
>

>>Hi all, I just joined this site today and I'm hoping for some feedback
>>on BBQ grills. (I hope this topic is allowed in this forum).
>>
>>We're in the process of building a BBQ island and I'm trying to decide
>>between two brands; Viking and DCS. Does anyone have any experience
>>with either of these two, and would you share your valuable
>>experience?
>>Thanks, 8x10

> I've had the 36" DCS unit for about five years and it has worked out
> great for me. The ceramic-covered grates rusted a few years ago and
> DCS replaced them under warranty. One thing I've started doing is
> removing anything that isn't screwed on and taking it inside for the
> winter. On the other hand, I'm in Seattle and maybe such precautions
> aren't necessary some place where it doesn't rain every single day for
> six months.
>
> You'd probably be happy with the Viking too. From what I can tell,
> it's a well made unit.
>
> My advice is to get the widest grill that your design will permit.
> Nobody ever wished they had a smaller grill.

Does your DCS use the ceranic rods for heat distribution?
I've never heard a good comment about Viking service, but I have heard some
negitive ones.

Radar

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:09:59 -0400, "bk" > wrote:

>"Radar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:52:22 +0000, 8x10
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all, I just joined this site today and I'm hoping for some feedback
>>>on BBQ grills. (I hope this topic is allowed in this forum).
>>>
>>>We're in the process of building a BBQ island and I'm trying to decide
>>>between two brands; Viking and DCS. Does anyone have any experience
>>>with either of these two, and would you share your valuable
>>>experience?
>>>Thanks, 8x10

>> I've had the 36" DCS unit for about five years and it has worked out
>> great for me. The ceramic-covered grates rusted a few years ago and
>> DCS replaced them under warranty. One thing I've started doing is
>> removing anything that isn't screwed on and taking it inside for the
>> winter. On the other hand, I'm in Seattle and maybe such precautions
>> aren't necessary some place where it doesn't rain every single day for
>> six months.
>>
>> You'd probably be happy with the Viking too. From what I can tell,
>> it's a well made unit.
>>
>> My advice is to get the widest grill that your design will permit.
>> Nobody ever wished they had a smaller grill.

>Does your DCS use the ceranic rods for heat distribution?
>I've never heard a good comment about Viking service, but I have heard some
>negitive ones.

Yes, mine does have the ceramic rods. They seem to do a good job, but
I don't have a lot of experience with other grills.

I can't comment on Viking service since I have never owned a Viking
product. I thought DCS service was top notch, personally, when I had
the problem with the grates rusting.
Lew/+Silat

In ,
Horn > types these words of wisdom:
> is an accurate description though. I luv's you anyway.
>
> Um, shouldn"t that be faq totum?
>
> horn

Horn quit causing trouble

--
Lew/+Silat

"Lew/+Silat" > wrote:
> Horn > types these words of wisdom:
> > is an accurate description though. I luv's you anyway.
> >
> > Um, shouldn"t that be faq totum?
> >

> Horn quit causing trouble

Acshully, Lew, the ol' fart knows me too well! ;-D