Guy Kroger

Default First Smoker

What is a good smoker for a person just getting started in smoking meat,
etc. I would like one for $100.00 - $200.00!!

BOB

Guy Kroger wrote:
> What is a good smoker for a person just getting started in smoking
> meat,
> etc. I would like one for $100.00 - $200.00!!

Webber Smokey Mountain

Duwop

"Guy Kroger" > wrote in message
> What is a good smoker for a person just getting started in smoking meat,
> etc. I would like one for $100.00 - $200.00!!

You want to smoke meat like fish and whatnot at 110F or so, or make 'Q like
ribs, brisket etc.?

If you're looking to 'Q, two come to mind. Probably the most popular is the
vertical water smoker Weber Smoky Mountain (WSM), if you want an offset the
Chargriller Pro which can also grill isn't a bad choice.

Randy

Guy Kroger wrote:
> What is a good smoker for a person just getting started in smoking meat,
> etc. I would like one for $100.00 - $200.00!!

Get a Webber Smokey Mountain, it is at the top of your price range but
well worth it. -RP

I agree with everyone else. My first, and only, smoker was a weber
smokey mountain cooker. I had tried smoking with a regular grill and
it was a pain. The WSM as they call it here was very easy. There is a
good web site that has all the details about using it too.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

I think it is about $120.

- Bobby

Paul

We've had a Weber Smokey Mountain since early summer. Wonderful product
and easy to use.

Cooked some really great baby back ribs yesterday. We've also turned
out great brisket, chicken and pork butts.

Go here to learn how to use one:

<http://www.wiviott.com/>

Follow the directions, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.
bbq

Guy Kroger wrote:

> What is a good smoker for a person just getting started in smoking meat,
> etc. I would like one for $100.00 - $200.00!!

A WSM through the http://www.virtualweberbullet.com site and comes from
Amazon. Don't know current price, but around $179.00 and free shipping.
They work like a champ. Don't matter if your living in the northern
parts where it gets cold in the winter or your living in the southern
parts. Can be used all year round in both climates.

BBQ
bbq

Paul wrote:

> We've had a Weber Smokey Mountain since early summer. Wonderful product
> and easy to use.
>
> Cooked some really great baby back ribs yesterday. We've also turned
> out great brisket, chicken and pork butts.
>
> Go here to learn how to use one:
>
> <http://www.wiviott.com/>
>
> Follow the directions, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.

As long as he doesn't instruct you to boil first !!!!

BBQ
eelhc

WSM is an excellent recommendation but!!!!!!

If you don't need the space of the WSM... How about the following?

ECB ~$50
BBQ Guru Pit Minder E-Temp Control $125
Pit Minder Adapter $15

Still under your budget... Some folks have reported 10+ HRs with 1 load
of coals on the ECB. So a good nights sleep is included in the above
setup.

Guy Kroger wrote:
> What is a good smoker for a person just getting started in smoking meat,
> etc. I would like one for $100.00 - $200.00!!

Matthew L. Martin

eelhc wrote:
> WSM is an excellent recommendation but!!!!!!
>
> If you don't need the space of the WSM... How about the following?
>
> ECB ~$50
> BBQ Guru Pit Minder E-Temp Control $125
> Pit Minder Adapter $15
>
> Still under your budget... Some folks have reported 10+ HRs with 1 load
> of coals on the ECB. So a good nights sleep is included in the above
> setup.

The WSM isn't very much larger than an ECB. 17.5" grills vs 15". You
don't need a guru for a WSM. Hell, you don't need one for an ECB. I've
gotten more than 10 hours of burn time with my ECBX2:

<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq>

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

eelhc

10 hours! Impressive! I was just looking at the guy's budget and it
seems to me the ECB+Guru combo may in fact be a better rig than the
WSM. And one can use the guru on a new smoker when its time to
upgrade.

Of course... for a first smoker the ECB + manual temperature control
is Home BBQ 101. I've ruined more meat than I care to admit learning
to cue...

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> eelhc wrote:
> > WSM is an excellent recommendation but!!!!!!
> >
> > If you don't need the space of the WSM... How about the following?
> >
> > ECB ~$50
> > BBQ Guru Pit Minder E-Temp Control $125
> > Pit Minder Adapter $15
> >
> > Still under your budget... Some folks have reported 10+ HRs with 1 load
> > of coals on the ECB. So a good nights sleep is included in the above
> > setup.

> The WSM isn't very much larger than an ECB. 17.5" grills vs 15". You
> don't need a guru for a WSM. Hell, you don't need one for an ECB. I've
> gotten more than 10 hours of burn time with my ECBX2:
>
> <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq>
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> Thermodynamics and/or Golf for dummies: There is a game
> You can't win
> You can't break even
> You can't get out of the game

eelhc

10 hours! Impressive! I was just looking at the guy's budget and it
seems to me the ECB+Guru combo may in fact be a better rig than the
WSM. And one can use the guru on a new smoker when its time to
upgrade.

Of course... for a first smoker the ECB + manual temperature control
is Home BBQ 101. I've ruined more meat than I care to admit learning
to cue with manual temperature control and coal management... but a
worthwhile learning experience. One hasn't lived until there are
hungry guests at the table and the Brisket reading 180*.

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> eelhc wrote:
> > WSM is an excellent recommendation but!!!!!!
> >
> > If you don't need the space of the WSM... How about the following?
> >
> > ECB ~$50
> > BBQ Guru Pit Minder E-Temp Control $125
> > Pit Minder Adapter $15
> >
> > Still under your budget... Some folks have reported 10+ HRs with 1 load
> > of coals on the ECB. So a good nights sleep is included in the above
> > setup.

> The WSM isn't very much larger than an ECB. 17.5" grills vs 15". You
> don't need a guru for a WSM. Hell, you don't need one for an ECB. I've
> gotten more than 10 hours of burn time with my ECBX2:
>
> <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq>
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> Thermodynamics and/or Golf for dummies: There is a game
> You can't win
> You can't break even
> You can't get out of the game

nospamwanted

On 6 Sep 2005 14:23:41 -0700, "eelhc" > wrote:

>WSM is an excellent recommendation but!!!!!!
>
>If you don't need the space of the WSM... How about the following?
>
>ECB ~$50
>BBQ Guru Pit Minder E-Temp Control $125
>Pit Minder Adapter $15
>
>Still under your budget... Some folks have reported 10+ HRs with 1 load
>of coals on the ECB. So a good nights sleep is included in the above
>setup.
>

>Guy Kroger wrote:
>> What is a good smoker for a person just getting started in smoking meat,
>> etc. I would like one for $100.00 - $200.00!!

A complete novice here, what is the ECB? Got only about $100 to spend
on this.

Thanks!
Matthew L. Martin

nospamwanted wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2005 14:23:41 -0700, "eelhc" > wrote:
>

>>WSM is an excellent recommendation but!!!!!!
>>
>>If you don't need the space of the WSM... How about the following?
>>
>>ECB ~$50
>>BBQ Guru Pit Minder E-Temp Control $125
>>Pit Minder Adapter $15
>>
>>Still under your budget... Some folks have reported 10+ HRs with 1 load
>>of coals on the ECB. So a good nights sleep is included in the above
>>setup.
>>

>>Guy Kroger wrote:
>>
>>>What is a good smoker for a person just getting started in smoking meat,
>>>etc. I would like one for $100.00 - $200.00!!

> A complete novice here, what is the ECB? Got only about $100 to spend
> on this.

An El Cheapo Brinkman. A very simple and cheap bullet style smoker. You
might find the cheapest one at WalMart for under $30, like I did, or you
can spend $50-$80 for similar models at Lowes or Home Depot. I went
whole hog (so to speak) and got two of the really EC ECBs and made the
ECBX2:

<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq>

--
Matthew

"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people" -- Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936)

It is in the Smoker ChrisGW Barbecue 3 05-11-2007 02:44 AM
Not a new smoker JD[_2_] Barbecue 1 01-08-2007 02:50 AM
I want to buy a smoker!! [email protected] Barbecue 21 28-08-2005 06:02 AM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM