Default Problems with Webber grill

I have a fairly new Webber Genesis Silver B (2005) and am having
problems. I got the grill in December and used it a few times and then
one day it simply wouldn't light. Not with the ignitor or with a
match/lighter. I swapped out the propane tank and still nothing.
Finally, I replaced the regulator hose and it lit the first time. So,
within 6 months the regulator hose seemed to go out. Seems kinda odd
but *shrug* I replaced it and it was working...I thought. Well, after
replacing the hose I just tried to cook my first meal on it and
something simply isn't right. With the lid closed, all burners on full,
propane turned to full and it being the middle of the summer in Texas,
I couldn't get the grill to more than 350 degrees. Obviously something
isn't right. The Webber manual says that you should disconnect the
regulator and open the burners for 1 minute, reattached and that should
fix it. I tried that with no luck.

I'm rather annoyed at this point. I went with webber based on the
repuation of the brand and am very surprised to be having these kinds
of problems with a grill that is less than a year old and probably not
used more than 15-20 times. Does anyone have any
thoughts/pointers/suggestions/whatever about this? Have others had this
problem?

HELP!

Zach

Abe

>I couldn't get the grill to more than 350 degrees. Obviously something
>isn't right. The Webber manual says that you should disconnect the
>regulator and open the burners for 1 minute, reattached and that should
>fix it. I tried that with no luck.

From the Weber site:

Support at your service...and at your fingertips.

Got a question about the inner workings of your grill?
If you can't find it in our FAQ's, you can call 1-800-446-1071.
24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Also from the Weber site:

Q. My LP gas grill won't get hotter than 250 to 300 F, even with all
burners on high. Why?

Since 1995, all regulators (the part that attaches to the gas tank to
regulate the flow of gas) have included a safety device that restricts
the gas flow in the event of a gas leak. But, you can inadvertently
activate the safety device without having a gas leak. This typically
occurs if you open the LP tank valve rapidly, or if one or more of the
burner control knobs is in an open position when opening the LP tank
valve. If you do activate the gas regulator safety device, the grill
will only reach temperatures between 250 and 300F even with all
burners on the high setting. To reset the gas regulator safety device:

* Close the LP tank valve.
* Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position.
* Disconnect the regulator from the LP tank.
* Open the lid of the grill.
* Turn burner control knobs to HIGH.
* Wait at least 1 minute.
* Turn burner control knobs OFF.
* Wait at least five minutes if the barbecue has been lit.
* Re-connect the regulator to the LP tank.
* SLOWLY turn the LP tank valve all the way open.
* With the lid open, turn the front burner control knob to the
HIGH position (for Summit gas grills, turn on the left burner in
the selected Heat Zone).
* Ignite the grill by pushing the crossover ignition button
several times.
* After the front burner is lit, turn the middle burner control
knob (if your barbecue has three burners) and then the rear
burner control knob to the HIGH position. (For Summit gas
grills, turn on the right burner)
* Close the barbecue lid.
* The barbecue should reach 500 to 550 degrees in 10 - 15 minutes.
Zach

Hmm, I tried that solution but didn't turn the know "SLOWLY". I guess
I'll try that again and see if turning the knob "SLOWLY" works.

Thanks.

Zach

Just followed those steps to a "T" with no luck. Still maxing out at
350 degrees.

Spud

> Q. My LP gas grill won't get hotter than 250 to 300 F, even with all
> burners on high. Why?
>
> Since 1995, all regulators (the part that attaches to the gas tank to
> regulate the flow of gas) have included a safety device that restricts
> the gas flow in the event of a gas leak. But, you can inadvertently
> activate the safety device without having a gas leak. This typically
> occurs if you open the LP tank valve rapidly, or if one or more of the
> burner control knobs is in an open position when opening the LP tank
> valve. If you do activate the gas regulator safety device, the grill
> will only reach temperatures between 250 and 300F even with all
> burners on the high setting. To reset the gas regulator safety device:

I've had that problem and I turn off the valve at the bottle and unscrew the
hose and start over.

One other problem I had at first. This was when I had the beer goggles on,
The icons on the control panel can be hard to read. Opening the valves all
the way counter clockwise only turns the burners on 1/4. Full on is right
next to the off stop on the valve. Was rather embarrassing when I realized
why the steaks were not grilling right.

Spud

Jimbo

> I'm rather annoyed at this point. I went with webber based on the
> repuation of the brand and am very surprised to be having these kinds
> of problems with a grill that is less than a year old and probably not
> used more than 15-20 times. Does anyone have any
> thoughts/pointers/suggestions/whatever about this? Have others had this
> problem?
>
> HELP!
>
> Zach

Try looking for spiders in the burner tubes or the air intakes of the
valves.

Then try a different tank or tip the tank upside down a few times.

The safety valve inside the tank can get stuck or even jammed for good.

Webber Chimney & OTG meatnub Barbecue 5 26-08-2008 11:50 PM
Webber Cookbook Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 7 16-07-2008 05:36 AM
Webber Cookbook Janet Wilder[_1_] General Cooking 2 15-07-2008 11:04 PM
Brinkmann 6305-T Grill Problems Bill Barbecue 2 05-07-2006 07:47 PM
Old Webber? that had adjustable hanging charcoal grate Mr.X Barbecue 0 21-07-2005 09:19 PM