Tom Puskar

Default i'M NEW TO bbq

After watching and smelling my neighbor smoke ribs, turkey and a whole lot
of other things I bought a smoker today. I have no idea what I'm doing and
wondered if this is a good place to learn. Any general information on how
to go about smoking foods would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ

NotHome

"Tom Puskar" > wrote in message
> After watching and smelling my neighbor smoke ribs, turkey and a whole lot
> of other things I bought a smoker today. I have no idea what I'm doing
> and wondered if this is a good place to learn. Any general information on
> how to go about smoking foods would be welcome.

Take a peek at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ and the forums.

DavidG

"Tom Puskar" > wrote in message
> After watching and smelling my neighbor smoke ribs, turkey
> and a whole lot
> of other things I bought a smoker today. I have no idea
> what I'm doing
> and wondered if this is a good place to learn. Any
> general information on
> how to go about smoking foods would be welcome.

Take a peek at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ and the
forums.

Take a look at this too...

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

Welcome!!

DG-

http://www.usenet.com
Jack Schidt®

"Tom Puskar" > wrote in message
> After watching and smelling my neighbor smoke ribs, turkey and a whole lot
> of other things I bought a smoker today. I have no idea what I'm doing
> and wondered if this is a good place to learn. Any general information on
> how to go about smoking foods would be welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom in Howell, NJ

Hi, Tom, welcome to the group. Go here and do some reading:
http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq.asp

You'll find it really helpful. Another place to go is to search Google
groups for this very one and see the topics that come up. It's a good group
and you'll get a handle on this stuff in no time.

Enjoy, and don't be ascared to ask your neighbor, if what you smell is good
to you.

Jack

"NotHome" > wrote:
> "Tom Puskar" > wrote in message
>
> > After watching and smelling my neighbor smoke ribs, turkey and a whole
> > lot of other things I bought a smoker today. I have no idea what I'm
> > doing and wondered if this is a good place to learn. Any general
> > information on how to go about smoking foods would be welcome.

> Take a peek at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ and the forums.

Hey, welcome aboard. Tom. Yer comin' in fer the right reasons. Looks good,
smells good, I wanna do it! A little while and yer neighbor'll be bangin'
on yer door, wantin' ta know how yer doin' it! Tell him! Meanwhile, check
out:

http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/default.asp

Start simple, adding one complication at a time.

Surreal Gourmet's Beer Can Chicken
serves 4

Q) Why did the chicken cross the road?
A) Because it couldn't remember where it left its beer

One of the nice things about being a surreal gourmet (as opposed to a real
gourmet) is that the Universe often provides me with foods that are
ready-made works of surreal art. In the vegetable world, purple potatoes,
yellow tomatoes and blood oranges all look so unnatural right off the vine
that they require little embellishment to qualify as surreal. Sometimes
it's the cooking method that makes the dish incongruous. I've poached
salmon in a dishwasher, cooked trout on my car engine and ironed a midnight
snack. With grilling season upon us, it's the perfect time to début my new
favorite trick: Beer Can Chicken.

As soon as the concept was mentioned to me by Elizabeth Karmel, the
grilling guru at Weber Grills, I knew it had surreal written all over it.
Why even Salvador Dali couldn't have come up with an image more surreal, or
shocking than a 4 pound roaster perched upright on a can of Bud,
pirouetting over a bed of red hot coals. And the best part is that since
you don't need any fancy rotisserie implements, you can afford to go hog
wild and buy the whole six pack.

Beer Can Chicken

1 1 4-5 pound whole chicken
1 16-ounce (tall boy) can of beer
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons of your favorite dry spice rub
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Prep

1 Set up your grill for indirect cooking. On a charcoal grill, this means
spreading the coals around the outer edges, but not directly below the
food. On a gas grill the outer burners are lit, but not the middle one.
Once the grill is covered (which it should always be for indirect grilling)
the circulating heat works like a convection oven, so there is no need to
turn the food. 2 Remove neck and giblets. Discard or retain and process
for gravy, if ya know how. Rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry with paper
towels. Rub chicken lightly with oil, then rub inside and out with salt,
pepper and dry rub. Set aside. 3 Open beer can and take several gulps
(make them big gulps so that the can is half full). Place beer can on a
solid surface. Grabbing a chicken leg in each hand, plunk the bird cavity
over the beer can. In other words, stick the beer can up its butt!
Transfer the bird-on-a-can to your grill and place in the center of the
grate, balancing the bird on its two legs and the can like a tripod.. 4
Cook chicken over high indirect heat, with the grill cover on for
approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the internal temperature registers 150ºF
in the breast area and 160ºF in the thigh, or until the thigh juice runs
clear when stabbed with a sharp knife. Remove from grill and let rest for
10 minutes before carving.

You bought yer first smoker. Use cherry wood for smoke the first time out!
;-)

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message

> Start simple, adding one complication at a time.

Good advice. After adding a number of complications you will find that
simple is better.

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> > Start simple, adding one complication at a time.

> Good advice. After adding a number of complications you will find that
> simple is better.

If I added more than one at a time, I couldn't figger out which one screwed
things up!

"Tom Puskar" > wrote in message
> After watching and smelling my neighbor smoke ribs, turkey and a whole lot
> of other things I bought a smoker today. I have no idea what I'm doing
> and wondered if this is a good place to learn. Any general information on
> how to go about smoking foods would be welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom in Howell, NJ

What Kinda cooker did you get?
What are you plannin on Q/in?
Ed Clay

Brick

A hearty welcome Tom. This is the place to beinformation and banter.
See the pictures at alt.binaries.food

You can get a copy of the latest BBQ List FAQ
in one of the following ways:

1) Vince Vielhaber has set up an email autoresponder.

Send email to:

and you'll get the ascii text version, zipped up, by return
email.

Send mail to:

and you'll get the ascii text version in a self extracting zip
file by return email.

and you'll get a straight ascii version, not zipped.

and you will get the MS Word 6.0 version in a self-extracting
zip file
by return mail.

Leave the subject and message body blank.

2) You can also get the BBQ List FAQ by visiting Vince's Web site:

<http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/>

You can download several different formats of the FAQ here.

You can also view the FAQ in HTML format he

<http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq>

3) You can read the FAQ on Dan Gill's Barbecue Survival Guide Web
page at:

<http://members.tripod.com/~DanGill/Survive.HTML>

4) Alex Baker has Word 6.0 and Adobe Acrobat versions of the
FAQ available for downloading.

His Web site is <http://www.calweb.com/~ambaker/bbqfaq.html>

Or you can get them directly via ftp by:

<ftp://ftp.calweb.com/users/a/ambaker/faq-word.zip>
<ftp://ftp.calweb.com/users/a/ambaker/faq-10.doc>
<ftp://ftp.calweb.com/users/a/ambaker/faq-acro.pdf>

Alex also has a link to download the Adobe Acrobat viewer.
The Acrobat version of the FAQ has internal links from the
Table of Contents to the respective sections in the document.

For those of you who do not have MS Word 6.0 or 7.0 or Word 97 who
wish to read
the FAQ in Word format, you can download the MS Word Viewer from
Microsoft for
free. The Word viewer will allow you to view MS Word documents and
print
them, but not edit them or create new documents.

Here's how to get it:

Set your Web browser to:

<http://www.microsoft.com/msword/internet/viewer/>

and select the version for the Windows operating system you have:

The 97 version for Win95 and the 16-bit version for Win3.1x

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Paratwa

I was a newbie to this just like you 10 months ago. With the web
sites mentioned above you can't go wrong. Listen to Ed P... and
Brick. They know this stuff.

One thing that messed me up a little was the brand of charcoal. I
changed brands on my third smoking session and I couldn't keep it lit.
I now realize that some brands need more air than others. Stick with
one brand for your first few bbqs. BTW I don't think it matters which
brand is used so much taking it out of the equation.

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 20:21:56 -0400, "Tom Puskar"