Skookum

Default Dream BBQ Tour ideas

Suppose you could pick a month and visit the great southern centers of
real barbecue, travelling about to small established barbecue joints as
well as festivals, contest and the like from the Carolinas over to
Texas...what would be your dream itinerary, the not-to-be-missed
events, locales and establishments so as to soak up the scene as much
as possible?

Frank Mancuso

Skookum wrote:
> Suppose you could pick a month and visit the great southern centers of
> real barbecue, travelling about to small established barbecue joints as
> well as festivals, contest and the like from the Carolinas over to
> Texas...what would be your dream itinerary, the not-to-be-missed
> events, locales and establishments so as to soak up the scene as much
> as possible?

Being in Austin, Texas, I'm fortunate to have many of the ledgends
nearby(Smitty's,Kreutz,Black's in Lockhart, and Mueller's in Taylor),so
I'd have to include Big Bob Gibson's(in Ala. I think) after seeing his
white barbeque sauce on Food TV. Also, I've never been to Memphis in
May, so I'd include it, and pig snouts in Chicago for sure. A tailgate
in KC before a Cheifs game, and some of the much-raved about Carolina
BBQ with the mustard-vinegar sauce.
FM
Thomas Cormen

Frank Mancuso > writes:

> > Suppose you could pick a month and visit the great southern centers of
> > real barbecue, travelling about to small established barbecue joints as
> > well as festivals, contest and the like from the Carolinas over to
> > Texas...what would be your dream itinerary, the not-to-be-missed
> > events, locales and establishments so as to soak up the scene as much
> > as possible?
> >

> Being in Austin, Texas, I'm fortunate to have many of the ledgends
> nearby(Smitty's,Kreutz,Black's in Lockhart, and Mueller's in
> Taylor),so I'd have to include Big Bob Gibson's(in Ala. I think) after
> seeing his white barbeque sauce on Food TV. Also, I've never been to
> Memphis in May, so I'd include it, and pig snouts in Chicago for
> sure. A tailgate in KC before a Cheifs game, and some of the
> much-raved about Carolina BBQ with the mustard-vinegar sauce.

I've had Big Bob Gibson's white sauce, and I don't think much of it at
all. It's watered down salad dressing. I've also been to Maurice's
Piggy Park in Columbia, SC, and his mustard-based sauce is absolutely
disgusting. You can read my reviews from our BBQ tour of the south in
1998 at http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/bbqtour/.

Places to visit:
Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, AL
Miss Myra's in Birmingham, AL
Jimmy's in Lexington, NC (also Lexington BBQ and John Wayne's)
Old Clinton BBQ in Clinton, GA

I also endorse FM's suggestion of Black's in Lockhart.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
Chair, Writing Program Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
dwåcôñ

"Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message
. ..
> Skookum wrote:
>> Suppose you could pick a month and visit the great southern centers of
>> real barbecue, travelling about to small established barbecue joints as
>> well as festivals, contest and the like from the Carolinas over to
>> Texas...what would be your dream itinerary, the not-to-be-missed
>> events, locales and establishments so as to soak up the scene as much
>> as possible?
>>

> Being in Austin, Texas, I'm fortunate to have many of the ledgends
> nearby(Smitty's,Kreutz,Black's in Lockhart, and Mueller's in Taylor),so
> I'd have to include Big Bob Gibson's(in Ala. I think) after seeing his
> white barbeque sauce on Food TV. Also, I've never been to Memphis in May,
> so I'd include it, and pig snouts in Chicago for sure. A tailgate in KC
> before a Cheifs game, and some of the much-raved about Carolina BBQ with
> the mustard-vinegar sauce.

Amen to all of the above.

I would add Dreamland in Tuscaloosa AL and maybe Cobb's in Memphis (with a
stop by Dyers for the deep-fried hamburgers in the 90-year-old grease)...
and maybe Allman's in Fredericksburg Virginny.

--
These ain't Mentos... but they'll freshen your breath!
http://tinyurl.com/cr5ka

Bob Hayden

If I were spending a month, I'd have to expand beyond the "southern
centers". In addition to the south, including the Carolinas, Menphis, Texas,
you would most certainly need to include Kansas City, the central coast of
California ("Santa Maria-style" BBQ) and some legendary places along the way
such as the Montgomery Inn in Cincinatti, 17th St Bar and Grill in
Murphysboro IL and more.

oups.com...