Alan S

"ceed"
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote in message newsp.svkczlzj21xk10@bobdello...
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:02:17 -0500, Dave Bugg > wrote:
>
> >> Put a piece of meat on a rack in the Sonoran desert. Put an identical
> >> piece of meat (sheltered) on a rack in an Amazon Rain forest - which
> >> will turn to Jerky?

> > Both. Time is the factor, along with air movement. Of course the Sonoran
> > desert will produce the best and quickest jerky

> Proof below:
>
> Sonoran-Style Marinated Pork
>
> This unusual recipe is half jerky and half grilled pork. Don't worry about
> exposing the meat to the air; the vinegar is a high-acid preservative.
>
> 10 Chiltepins (or more to taste), seeds removed and saved
> 10 dried red New Mexican chiles, stems removed, seeds removed and saved
> 3 large cloves garlic
> 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 cup cider vinegar
> 1/2 cup water
> 1 small cabbage, chopped
> Juice of 4 limes
> 4 pounds pork tenderloin, sliced into strips 1/4 to 1/2 inch thin
> (for easier slicing, freeze the pork slightly, then slice)
> Corn or flour tortillas
>
> Boil the New Mexican chiles until they are soft. Add all the other
> ingredients except the pork, chile seeds, and tortillas and puree in a
> blender to make the marinade.
> Add the seeds to the chile marinade and marinate the pork in the mixture
> for an 1 hour. Hang the strips of meat over a clothesline in the sun and
> arrange cheesecloth around them to keep the insects away. Dry the meat in
> the sun for two days in dry weather and then refrigerate until ready to
> use.
> Grill the meat strips over mesquite wood for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Dice
> the strips and spread the meat over thin flour or corn tortillas.. Spread
> chopped cabbage over the meat and sprinkle lime juice over the top. Fold
> the tortilla in half and serve.
>
> Serves: 8
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

OK, this one looks interesting. A little scary, but interesting
none-the-less. As far as beer can chicken goes, I like it! I usually add
spices to the beer and I can taste in the chicken so it is reasonable to
assume that the steam is permeating the meat to some degree. My thinking
(and I am no scientist) is that after the collagen breaks down into fat the
meat loosens up a bit and thus allows the spiced steam to get into it. Does
this sound correct? This is just a hypothesis and I truly would like to know
since this thread has been most informative. It has been quite entertaining
as well I might add. I have lived in Texas all my life and it is definitely
true that it is awfully hot and Houston really sucks but I gotta say ... Ed
.... you are welcome to eat bar-b-que at my house any day but wiggling your
meat in my pit is absolutely NOT gonna happen! It would let the heat out.

ceed

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:09:55 -0500, Alan S > wrote:

> OK, this one looks interesting. A little scary, but interesting
> none-the-less.

It's not really scary since you grill the strips before eating them. The
trick is to make sure you have dry sunny weather with temperatures over
80F. The vinegar needs to be of decent quality as well. I once tried with
store brand cider vinegar. It tasted okay, but not as good as when using
the good stuff.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Alan S

wrote in message newsp.svkq5mqn21xk10@bobdello...
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:09:55 -0500, Alan S > wrote:
>
> > OK, this one looks interesting. A little scary, but interesting
> > none-the-less.

> It's not really scary since you grill the strips before eating them. The
> trick is to make sure you have dry sunny weather with temperatures over
> 80F. The vinegar needs to be of decent quality as well. I once tried with
> store brand cider vinegar. It tasted okay, but not as good as when using
> the good stuff.
>

> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

It would seem to me that very thin strips would be important so the vinegar
has some time to permeate the meat (which brings up and interesting thing
about marinades being pointless (according to the guy that was trying to
sell some book on NPR one afternoon) but I digress, I'll save that one for
another thread) and I am curious about whether or not the temp of the sliced
strips ever makes it up to 180 degrees. You said " Grill the meat strips
over mesquite wood for 1 to 2 minutes per side". I am assuming that is a hot
fire like a hibachi or something? I want to try this one.

ceed

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:43:53 -0500, Alan S > wrote:

> It would seem to me that very thin strips would be important so the
> vinegar
> has some time to permeate the meat (which brings up and interesting thing
> about marinades being pointless (according to the guy that was trying to
> sell some book on NPR one afternoon) but I digress, I'll save that one
> for
> another thread) and I am curious about whether or not the temp of the
> sliced
> strips ever makes it up to 180 degrees. You said " Grill the meat strips
> over mesquite wood for 1 to 2 minutes per side". I am assuming that is a
> hot
> fire like a hibachi or something? I want to try this one.

Actually, I have never really timed it. Times given in recipes when it
comes to grilling times I do not pay much attention to. I mostly use my
experience with the meat and equipment used when it comes to these things.
However, 1 to 2 minutes seems to be close to what I have been doing. I use
hot (but not searing) temperature for this since the strips easily burn
being thin. The meat should be fully cooked through. I burn mesquite
chunks down to coals on my ECB when doing this recipe (of course used as a
grill in this case). Any charcoal grill will do I guess as long as you are
able to get quite close to the fire.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
D. Winsor

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..
"I know some of you may be skeptical, but it works. You just have to prove
it to yourself by trying it. You'll soon be a convert and do this with all
your barbecue. Important: Don't go more than 10 minutes at rest or the
meat will start to dry again."

All birds, both the greater and lesser, benefit from dancing into the oven,
barbeque and smoker. The birds are happier and kids love it. You should
also always name the greater birds. They always taste better with a little
personality.

Alan S

> Sonoran-Style Marinated Pork

>>> Put a piece of meat on a rack in the Sonoran desert. Put an identical
>>> piece of meat (sheltered) on a rack in an Amazon Rain forest - which
>>> will turn to Jerky?

>> Both. Time is the factor, along with air movement. Of course the Sonoran
>> desert will produce the best and quickest jerky

> Proof below:
>
> Sonoran-Style Marinated Pork
>
> This unusual recipe is half jerky and half grilled pork. Don't worry about
> exposing the meat to the air; the vinegar is a high-acid preservative.
>
> 10 Chiltepins (or more to taste), seeds removed and saved
> 10 dried red New Mexican chiles, stems removed, seeds removed and saved
> 3 large cloves garlic
> 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 cup cider vinegar
> 1/2 cup water
> 1 small cabbage, chopped
> Juice of 4 limes
> 4 pounds pork tenderloin, sliced into strips 1/4 to 1/2 inch thin
> (for easier slicing, freeze the pork slightly, then slice)
> Corn or flour tortillas
>
> Boil the New Mexican chiles until they are soft. Add all the other
> ingredients except the pork, chile seeds, and tortillas and puree in a
> blender to make the marinade.
> Add the seeds to the chile marinade and marinate the pork in the mixture
> for an 1 hour. Hang the strips of meat over a clothesline in the sun and
> arrange cheesecloth around them to keep the insects away. Dry the meat in
> the sun for two days in dry weather and then refrigerate until ready to
> use.
> Grill the meat strips over mesquite wood for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Dice
> the strips and spread the meat over thin flour or corn tortillas.. Spread
> chopped cabbage over the meat and sprinkle lime juice over the top. Fold
> the tortilla in half and serve.
>
> Serves: 8
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

Ok, I am going to try this one but I have a couple of questions.

1) I like very spicy food but the seeds from 10 chilipiquin peppers sounds
pretty fiery - Is this extremely hot?
2) Have you ever tried this when it's as hot outside as it is now?
3) 1 hour seems like a short time to marinade, have you tried it for
longer?
4) Where did you get this recipe?

Thanks

ceed

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:47:59 -0500, Alan S > wrote:

> 1) I like very spicy food but the seeds from 10 chilipiquin peppers
> sounds
> pretty fiery - Is this extremely hot?

Yes, it's hot, but not extremely hot. I would test the peppers first.
Sometimes they are not so hot depending on when and where they are grown.

> 2) Have you ever tried this when it's as hot outside as it is now?

Yes, I have tried this in 90F+ weather.

> 3) 1 hour seems like a short time to marinade, have you tried it for
> longer?

Maybe a little longer, but not much.

> 4) Where did you get this recipe?

From the local Austin paper (Austin American Statesman) a couple of years
ago.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
LewZephyr

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:44:39 -0500, I needed a babel fish to
understand ceed
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
:

>On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:39:07 -0500, Dave Bugg > wrote:
>
>> Do you slice the pork when it has been deeply chilled in order to make
>> the
>> slicing easier?

>Yes, REALLY hard to slice it thin when it fully thawed.
>>
>>> But then again: I'm in Texas which has nothing to do with
>>> the rain forest whatsoever as pointed our earlier in this thread..

>> Hey, I've been to Houston during the rainy season

>Houston? My wife calls Houston "The armpit of Texas". She is a Texan so I
>guess she's allowed to say stuff like that. I'm imported, so I just nod
>and...um.....agree..

naw, Armpit of Texas is Killeen TX, home of FT Hood Army base.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke
JP

ceed wrote:

> Houston? My wife calls Houston "The armpit of Texas". She is a Texan so I
> guess she's allowed to say stuff like that. I'm imported, so I just nod
> and...um.....agree..

Well, you shouldn't. That's the typical ignorant comment made by
someone who is either talking about a Houston from the 70's or 80's, or
is referring to just the industrial east-side cities of Pasadena,
Channelview, etc.... which are hardly representative of Houston as a
whole. The Houston of today is quite nice... if it wasn't it wouldn't
have gotten the SuperBowl or made the 2012 Olympic finalist cities.

JP

JP wrote:
> ceed wrote:
> >
> > Houston? My wife calls Houston "The armpit of Texas". She is a Texan so I
> > guess she's allowed to say stuff like that. I'm imported, so I just nod
> > and...um.....agree..

> Well, you shouldn't. That's the typical ignorant comment made by
> someone who is either talking about a Houston from the 70's or 80's, or
> is referring to just the industrial east-side cities of Pasadena,
> Channelview, etc.... which are hardly representative of Houston as a
> whole. The Houston of today is quite nice... if it wasn't it wouldn't
> have gotten the SuperBowl or made the 2012 Olympic finalist cities.

Oh, FYI.... Texans outside of Houston are notoriously bad about
down-talking Houston. I'm a former Austinite so I know. Most of what
they say is wrong, wrong wrong. Last time I was back in Austin (which
now has traffic that's almost as bad as Houston's) a friend took
offense when I said I was enjoying living in Houston. I mentioned
something about downtown. He was totally clueless about downtown,
hadn't been here in at least a decade. Well -- don't knock what you
don't know!!!

The arts/culture here is way better, the restaurants are way better,
and there is more diversity and just generally more choices and more to
do. The only advantage IMO Austin has over Houston is outdoor
recreation/scenery.

ceed

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:39:03 -0500, JP > wrote:

> ceed wrote:
>>
>> Houston? My wife calls Houston "The armpit of Texas". She is a Texan so
>> guess she's allowed to say stuff like that. I'm imported, so I just nod
>> and...um.....agree..

> Well, you shouldn't. That's the typical ignorant comment made by
> someone who is either talking about a Houston from the 70's or 80's, or
> is referring to just the industrial east-side cities of Pasadena,
> Channelview, etc.... which are hardly representative of Houston as a
> whole. The Houston of today is quite nice... if it wasn't it wouldn't
> have gotten the SuperBowl or made the 2012 Olympic finalist cities.

I know Houston quite well. I like the place except for the fact that it
usually is much more humid there than here in Austin. Being a Northern
European it has been hard enough getting used to the heat in Austin.
Combined with the humidity in Houston it would probably have been even
harder for me. The "armpit" term is pointing at the climate, not the city
as such. Also, I have found that it is wise to agree with my wife even if
don't

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Matthew L. Martin

ceed wrote:
> I have found that it is wise to agree with my wife
> even if (I) don't >

Thus spoke a very wise man.

Matthew
JP

Oh, try New Orleans! Although it's not quite as hot, but every bit or
more humid...

shootr

>Best results are found using the 10/5 method. Every ten minutes, you open
>the cooker and wiggle the wings and legs vigorously for five minutes. this
>gets the bird moving, thus opening the pores to absorb moisture. Be sure to
>keep a good size pan of water near the fire so it will evaporate.
>
>I know some of you may be skeptical, but it works. You just have to prove
>it to yourself by trying it. You'll soon be a convert and do this with all
>your barbecue. Important: Don't go more than 10 minutes at rest or the
>meat will start to dry again.

Yup I tried this with a meatloaf but all it wants to do is sit in
front of the TV and drink beer.........
cory

Hello shootr,

>> Best results are found using the 10/5 method. Every ten minutes, you
>> open the cooker and wiggle the wings and legs vigorously for five
>> minutes. this gets the bird moving, thus opening the pores to absorb
>> moisture. Be sure to keep a good size pan of water near the fire so
>> it will evaporate.
>>
>> I know some of you may be skeptical, but it works. You just have to
>> prove it to yourself by trying it. You'll soon be a convert and do
>> this with all your barbecue. Important: Don't go more than 10
>> minutes at rest or the meat will start to dry again.
>>

> Yup I tried this with a meatloaf but all it wants to do is sit in
> front of the TV and drink beer.........

You should serve that meatloaf with couch potatoes.

Brick

On 24-Aug-2005, shootr <gunz.net@> wrote:

> >Best results are found using the 10/5 method. Every ten minutes, you open
> >the cooker and wiggle the wings and legs vigorously for five minutes. this
> >gets the bird moving, thus opening the pores to absorb moisture. Be sure to
> >keep a good size pan of water near the fire so it will evaporate.
> >
> >I know some of you may be skeptical, but it works. You just have to prove
> >it to yourself by trying it. You'll soon be a convert and do this with all
> >your barbecue. Important: Don't go more than 10 minutes at rest or the
> >meat will start to dry again.
> >

> Yup I tried this with a meatloaf but all it wants to do is sit in
> front of the TV and drink beer.........

I tried it just once. My beer got **** warm before I would drink it and the DW
locked me out of the house for leaving the door open too long.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)