ken ullman

Default Lump charcoal VS Charcoal briquettes

I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
charcoal here in Houston, TX.

Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly appreciated.
Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for shipping.

When I am using briquettes, I let about 80% of the briquettes turn grey in
the chimney before dumping them into the smoker. Then I let it sit there
with the covers close, except the chimney stack, until the unit heats up to
the desire temperature.

My bbq-ing has improved thanks to all of you. I would like to continue to
improve. The taste still needs some improvement, but I am getting a nice
smoke ring and an OK bark on my brisket. The temperature I am for is around
250-275F . I smoke a 10# brisket for about 8 hours, 4 hours uncovered then I
wrap it up in aluminum foil then cook it for another 4 until the internal
temp reaches 180F.

If anyone has any additional pointers let me know.

Matthew L. Martin

ken ullman wrote:
> I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
> than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
> charcoal here in Houston, TX.
>
> Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly appreciated.
> Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for shipping.
>
> When I am using briquettes, I let about 80% of the briquettes turn grey in
> the chimney before dumping them into the smoker. Then I let it sit there
> with the covers close, except the chimney stack, until the unit heats up to
> the desire temperature.
>
> My bbq-ing has improved thanks to all of you. I would like to continue to
> improve. The taste still needs some improvement, but I am getting a nice
> smoke ring and an OK bark on my brisket. The temperature I am for is around
> 250-275F . I smoke a 10# brisket for about 8 hours, 4 hours uncovered then I
> wrap it up in aluminum foil then cook it for another 4 until the internal
> temp reaches 180F.

I've never used foil while cooking bbq. When I do a brisket, I cook at
275+/-25 for as long as it takes for a fork to turn easily after being
stuck in the meat.

What are you using for wood and rubs?

Matthew
Dave Bugg

ken ullman wrote:
> I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this
> better than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time
> locating lump charcoal here in Houston, TX.

Weimar ain't all that far for an afternoon road trip. That's where B&B
charcoal is located. Some of the best charcoal anywhere. Take a pickup and
get a pallet load. You'll be glad you did.

> If anyone has any additional pointers let me know.

Get rid of the foil and keep it on the pit au natural. Once you wrap it in
foil, there is no benefit at all from putting it back in the pit instead of
using a regular oven.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Brick

On 14-Aug-2005, ken ullman > wrote:

> I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
> than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
> charcoal here in Houston, TX.

Yes

> Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly appreciated.
> Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for shipping.

No

> When I am using briquettes, I let about 80% of the briquettes turn grey in
> the chimney before dumping them into the smoker. Then I let it sit there
> with the covers close, except the chimney stack, until the unit heats up to
> the desire temperature.

Don't know what your cooking with/on, so can't suggest anything. Grills,
offsets and bullet smokers are vastly different machines.

> My bbq-ing has improved thanks to all of you. I would like to continue to
> improve. The taste still needs some improvement, but I am getting a nice
> smoke ring and an OK bark on my brisket.

In the beginning, all smoke penetration was avoided to the maximum extent
possible. Primitive methods made smoke taste elimination very difficult, but
every effort was expended to eliminate it. In the old days, nobody wanted to
taste the fire.

Brisket tastes like brisket. That is it doesn't have much of a taste until you
season it with something. Most people like Salt & Pepper. Some like BBQ
sauce. If you cooked it right, the cooked in spices will carry over onto the
plate and take care of it. Sliced brisket will have to be treated differently from
chopped or shredded brisket. Chopped will include the bark, distributed
throughout the meat. Sliced will have a little bark around the edges, which
might likely be rejected by the diner as unsightly.

The temperature I am for is around
> 250-275F . I smoke a 10# brisket for about 8 hours, 4 hours uncovered then I
> wrap it up in aluminum foil then cook it for another 4 until the internal
> temp reaches 180F.
>
> If anyone has any additional pointers let me know.

Your temperature range is good, but I would never use that foil gag. No
way do I want to steam my brisket. And, I would cook it until a fork will
twist easily in the thickest part of the meat.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

LT

> Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly appreciated.
> Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for shipping.

Don't know about your end of Texas, but in DFW, all of the Wal-Marts carry
Royal Oak, and a resonable price.

Larry T

ceed

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:36:12 -0500, LT > wrote:

> Don't know about your end of Texas, but in DFW, all of the Wal-Marts
> carry
> Royal Oak, and a resonable price.

Just picked up 8 bags of Royal Oak lump from WM here in Austin. TX at
$5.23 a bag. However, I noticed that they were putting Royal Oak
briquettes up on the shelf while I was there. I really hope they aren't
going to drop lump for briquettes. I asked, but the person I spoke to
didn't know and it took me a while to explain that there's actually a
difference between lump and briquettes. Gotta love WM....

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
ken ullman

On 8/15/05 8:48 AM, in article op.svjxywe421xk10@bobdello, "ceed"
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:36:12 -0500, LT > wrote:
>
>> Don't know about your end of Texas, but in DFW, all of the Wal-Marts
>> carry
>> Royal Oak, and a resonable price.

> Just picked up 8 bags of Royal Oak lump from WM here in Austin. TX at
> $5.23 a bag. However, I noticed that they were putting Royal Oak
> briquettes up on the shelf while I was there. I really hope they aren't
> going to drop lump for briquettes. I asked, but the person I spoke to
> didn't know and it took me a while to explain that there's actually a
> difference between lump and briquettes. Gotta love WM....

Unfortunately, our WM carries only the briquettes.

LT

I asked, but the person I spoke to
> didn't know and it took me a while to explain that there's actually a
> difference between lump and briquettes. Gotta love WM....
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

I've not seen the RO briquettes yet, but hope that's not a sign of the
times. Wally-World is so damn big, and their buyers probably have incentives
to get the best pricing so you just never know.

I've seen some lump at Lowes, but can't remember the brand name... wasn't
RO. And in our area, there is always BBQ Galore which carries lump at about
$14 for 20# bag.

Larry T

LewZephyr

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:50:20 -0500, I needed a babel fish to
understand ken ullman > :

>I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
>than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
>charcoal here in Houston, TX.

I'm in Houston as well... north side to be exact.
Walmart has the Red bags of Royal Oak Lump.
Its usually outside on a pallet in the garden area (ya outside where
the plants etc are)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke
LewZephyr

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:46:19 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
LewZephyr > :

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:50:20 -0500, I needed a babel fish to
>understand ken ullman > :
>
>>I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
>>than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
>>charcoal here in Houston, TX.

>I'm in Houston as well... north side to be exact.
>Walmart has the Red bags of Royal Oak Lump.
>Its usually outside on a pallet in the garden area (ya outside where
>the plants etc are)

Oh, ya BBQ Galore carries various lump coal. I tend to not shop there
due to their highly over priced setup.

Good luck
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Duwop

> >On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:50:20 -0500, I needed a babel fish to
> >understand ken ullman > :

40lbs of good smokey oak lump for $13 here is California. Better'n RO for Q.

I love rubbing that in to you poor Texan's shopping ChinaWallMart. :-D

Even better, my new job is only 5 minutes from the distribution center.

dwacon.

"Duwop" > wrote in message

>> >On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:50:20 -0500, I needed a babel fish to
>> >understand ken ullman > :

> 40lbs of good smokey oak lump for $13 here is California. Better'n RO for
> Q.

If only you could run your car on it... rather than the nearly $4/gallon
gasoline!

--
She wondered, “what is he chewing on?”
And suddenly, she realized...

ceed

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:49:50 -0500, dwacon. > wrote:

>> 40lbs of good smokey oak lump for $13 here is California. Better'n RO
>> for
>> Q.

> If only you could run your car on it... rather than the nearly $4/gallon
> gasoline!

Actually, you can. Or could rather. In Norway where I am from originally
people had cars during World War II that ran on wood chunks. These cars
had a "generator" on the back where they threw the wood chuncks in. It
burnt and generated gases the car ran on. This fuel was called "knott".
This was the only available fuel back then. All the gasoline and oil
products went to the nazi occupants. The only picture I could find is of
a bus with a generator on the back:

http://lotus.uib.no/norgeslexi/krigs...generator.html

Would be a dream machine for the BBQ fanatic: A self propelled pit!

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
dwacon.

wrote in message newsp.svl44fh721xk10@bobdello...
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:49:50 -0500, dwacon. > wrote:
>
>>> 40lbs of good smokey oak lump for $13 here is California. Better'n RO
>>> for
>>> Q.

>> If only you could run your car on it... rather than the nearly $4/gallon
>> gasoline!

> Actually, you can. Or could rather. In Norway where I am from originally
> people had cars during World War II that ran on wood chunks. These cars
> had a "generator" on the back where they threw the wood chuncks in. It
> burnt and generated gases the car ran on. This fuel was called "knott".

Great... we should market this as an alternative hybrid vehicle and can get
Don Knotts to be the spokesperson.

--
She wondered, "what is he chewing on?"
And suddenly, she realized...
www.cafepress.com/dwacon

David Brown

So the engine could run on both gasoline and the "gases" the wood created
when burning? Or maybe it was steam pressure?

- A California dweller

"ceed"
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote in message newsp.svl44fh721xk10@bobdello...
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:49:50 -0500, dwacon. > wrote:
>
>>> 40lbs of good smokey oak lump for $13 here is California. Better'n RO
>>> for
>>> Q.

>> If only you could run your car on it... rather than the nearly $4/gallon
>> gasoline!

> Actually, you can. Or could rather. In Norway where I am from originally
> people had cars during World War II that ran on wood chunks. These cars
> had a "generator" on the back where they threw the wood chuncks in. It
> burnt and generated gases the car ran on. This fuel was called "knott".
> This was the only available fuel back then. All the gasoline and oil
> products went to the nazi occupants. The only picture I could find is of
> a bus with a generator on the back:
>
> http://lotus.uib.no/norgeslexi/krigs...generator.html
>
> Would be a dream machine for the BBQ fanatic: A self propelled pit!
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

ceed

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:27:08 -0500, David Brown
> wrote:

> So the engine could run on both gasoline and the "gases" the wood created
> when burning? Or maybe it was steam pressure?

I don't know the details, but I know it was not steam. The cars were
modified to run on this fuel, and you had to start the burning of knott in
good time before you planned on driving. The gas was filtered and cooled
before it entered the engine working quite similar to evaporated gasoline.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:46:28 -0500, ceed
wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:27:08 -0500, David Brown
> wrote:
>
>> So the engine could run on both gasoline and the "gases" the wood created
>> when burning? Or maybe it was steam pressure?

>I don't know the details, but I know it was not steam. The cars were
>modified to run on this fuel, and you had to start the burning of knott in
>good time before you planned on driving. The gas was filtered and cooled
>before it entered the engine working quite similar to evaporated gasoline.

There was a lot of those rigs running around Europe during WWII when
only Gov't Vees could buy gasoline.

Harry
Jmagerl

ceed wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:27:08 -0500, David Brown
> > wrote:
>
>> So the engine could run on both gasoline and the "gases" the wood
>> created when burning? Or maybe it was steam pressure?

> I don't know the details, but I know it was not steam. The cars were
> modified to run on this fuel, and you had to start the burning of
> knott in good time before you planned on driving. The gas was
> filtered and cooled before it entered the engine working quite
> similar to evaporated gasoline.

My Dad would talk fondly of his time in CHna during WWII. One the things he
mentioned was smoke powered cars. In this case the smoke was derived from
burning cow dung. I imagine the principle is the same. Smoking wood (or
dung) emits flammable vapors that can be sucked into a carburetor and
burned. He also mentioned, you had to get out and push them up hills. He
even had a picture of one. Looked like a big moonshine still in the back of
a pick up truck. Couldn't carry much in the truck because the still took up
most of the truck bed.

slim

"dwacon." wrote:

> > 40lbs of good smokey oak lump for $13 here is California. Better'n RO for
> > Q.

> If only you could run your car on it... rather than the nearly $4/gallon
> gasoline!

Buy a diesel, make friends with a few local restaurants,
and put grease in you tank!

My uncle did it! You filter the used cooking oil twice,
and it it goes, and off you go!

Screw Big Oil!

--

"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain --
I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the
Andy Williams

Jmagerl wrote:

> ceed wrote:

> > I don't know the details, but I know it was not steam. The cars were
> > modified to run on this fuel, and you had to start the burning of
> > knott in good time before you planned on driving. The gas was
> > filtered and cooled before it entered the engine working quite
> > similar to evaporated gasoline.

> My Dad would talk fondly of his time in CHna during WWII. One the things he
> mentioned was smoke powered cars. In this case the smoke was derived from
> burning cow dung. I imagine the principle is the same. Smoking wood (or
> dung) emits flammable vapors that can be sucked into a carburetor and
> burned. He also mentioned, you had to get out and push them up hills. He
> even had a picture of one. Looked like a big moonshine still in the back of
> a pick up truck. Couldn't carry much in the truck because the still took up
> most of the truck bed.

The fuel generated by burning wood (or biomass in general) is
methanol, also known as "wood alcohol." Quite appropriate that the
vehicles resembled moonshine stills.

ceed

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:01:25 -0500, slim > wrote:

> Buy a diesel, make friends with a few local restaurants,
> and put grease in you tank!
> My uncle did it! You filter the used cooking oil twice,
> and it it goes, and off you go!
> Screw Big Oil!

KFC = Kentucky Fried Chrysler?

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
John

"ken ullman" > wrote in message
>I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
> than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
> charcoal here in Houston, TX.
>
> Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly appreciated.
> Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for shipping.
>
> When I am using briquettes, I let about 80% of the briquettes turn grey in
> the chimney before dumping them into the smoker. Then I let it sit there
> with the covers close, except the chimney stack, until the unit heats up
> the desire temperature.
>
> My bbq-ing has improved thanks to all of you. I would like to continue to
> improve. The taste still needs some improvement, but I am getting a nice
> smoke ring and an OK bark on my brisket. The temperature I am for is
> around
> 250-275F . I smoke a 10# brisket for about 8 hours, 4 hours uncovered then
> wrap it up in aluminum foil then cook it for another 4 until the internal
> temp reaches 180F.
>
> If anyone has any additional pointers let me know.

Hi Ken..
Wally world here in Austin carries the Royal Oak lump..I just bought some
and tried it..Not too bad but the chunks are HUGE! But burns fairly
well..Do you guys not have a BBQ's Galore down there? They have BGE lump
and their own brand (which I think sucks) but the BGE (Big Green Egg) is not
bad..You also have Central Market down there, you might try them. They too
carry a line of lump which is pretty good but I can't remember the brand..I
have bought it at the CM here in Austin...Give one of these a try?

John in Bastrop..

slim

ceed wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:01:25 -0500, slim > wrote:
>
> > Buy a diesel, make friends with a few local restaurants,
> > and put grease in you tank!
> > My uncle did it! You filter the used cooking oil twice,
> > and it it goes, and off you go!
> > Screw Big Oil!

> KFC = Kentucky Fried Chrysler?

Damn thing smells like a giant french fry machine!

--
"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain --
I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the
interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they
say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody
an explanation. "
- George "Dubya" Bush
Jimbo

Wal-Mart sells Royal Oak Lump in Destin FL.....Garden dept not food area.
and cheap $5.99 a big bag.

"ken ullman" > wrote in message
>I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
> than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
> charcoal here in Houston, TX.
>
> Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly appreciated.
> Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for shipping.
>
> When I am using briquettes, I let about 80% of the briquettes turn grey in
> the chimney before dumping them into the smoker. Then I let it sit there
> with the covers close, except the chimney stack, until the unit heats up
> the desire temperature.
>
> My bbq-ing has improved thanks to all of you. I would like to continue to
> improve. The taste still needs some improvement, but I am getting a nice
> smoke ring and an OK bark on my brisket. The temperature I am for is
> around
> 250-275F . I smoke a 10# brisket for about 8 hours, 4 hours uncovered then
> wrap it up in aluminum foil then cook it for another 4 until the internal
> temp reaches 180F.
>
> If anyone has any additional pointers let me know.

Dave Bugg

Jimbo wrote:
> Wal-Mart sells Royal Oak Lump in Destin FL.....Garden dept not food
> area. and cheap $5.99 a big bag.

Hi, Jimbo. Be kind, and please don't top-post

> "ken ullman" > wrote in message
>> I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this
>> better than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time
>> locating lump charcoal here in Houston, TX.
>>
>> Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly
>> appreciated. Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for
>> shipping. When I am using briquettes, I let about 80% of the briquettes
>> turn
>> grey in the chimney before dumping them into the smoker. Then I let
>> it sit there with the covers close, except the chimney stack, until
>> the unit heats up to
>> the desire temperature.
>>
>> My bbq-ing has improved thanks to all of you. I would like to
>> continue to improve. The taste still needs some improvement, but I
>> am getting a nice smoke ring and an OK bark on my brisket. The
>> temperature I am for is around
>> 250-275F . I smoke a 10# brisket for about 8 hours, 4 hours
>> uncovered then I
>> wrap it up in aluminum foil then cook it for another 4 until the
>> internal temp reaches 180F.
>>
>> If anyone has any additional pointers let me know.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
http://davebbq.com/

ceed

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:49:45 -0500, Dave Bugg > wrote:

>> Wal-Mart sells Royal Oak Lump in Destin FL.....Garden dept not food
>> area. and cheap $5.99 a big bag.

> Hi, Jimbo. Be kind, and please don't top-post

And now my two cents on the top-posting issue:

A newsgroup is (usually) a dialog. The "dia" is important, The dia means
it's more than one, at least two, participating in a verbal or oral
exchange. So you need at least two of these events at once for it to make
any sense. Without that what you have is just a statement out of context.
This explains why top-posting is troublesome since one is left with only
the "log" in the dialog. A "log" may be good for BBQ, but not for
effective communication. For that we need the "dia" *and* the "log"

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
bc

grythe wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:27:08 GMT, "David Brown"
> > wrote:
>
> >So the engine could run on both gasoline and the "gases" the wood created
> >when burning? Or maybe it was steam pressure?
> >

> Check it out:
>
> http://www.woodgas.com/

It's the same process as the retort for making charcoal. Here's a good
link:
http://64.176.180.203/charcoalretort.htm

- bc

bc

http://www.noendpress.com/caleb/biodiesel/index.php

Jimbo wrote:

> Wal-Mart sells Royal Oak Lump in Destin FL.....Garden dept not food area.
> and cheap $5.99 a big bag.

What's a "big bag" weigh? (I routinely pay $11 for 20 lbs bag of Royal
Oak at a local independent retailer- cheaper than a Wal-Mart down the
highway). Are you claiming that you're paying $5.99 for *20* pounds of
Royal Oak at Wal-Mart? (The last person who claimed that turned out to
have bought RO briquets).

ceed wrote:
> Dave Bugg > wrote:
> > Jimbo (?) wrote

> >> Wal-Mart sells Royal Oak Lump in Destin FL.....Garden dept not food
> >> area. and cheap $5.99 a big bag.

> > Hi, Jimbo. Be kind, and please don't top-post

> And now my two cents on the top-posting issue:
>
> A newsgroup is (usually) a dialog. The "dia" is important, The dia means
> it's more than one, at least two, participating in a verbal or oral
> exchange. So you need at least two of these events at once for it to make
> any sense. Without that what you have is just a statement out of context.
> This explains why top-posting is troublesome since one is left with only
> the "log" in the dialog. A "log" may be good for BBQ, but not for
> effective communication. For that we need the "dia" *and* the "log"

Very nicely put 'ceed'. The only place I can think of where the Answer
precedes the Question is on some Game Show, which, thankfully, I don't know
the name of.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

LT

> > Wal-Mart sells Royal Oak Lump in Destin FL.....Garden dept not food

area.
> > and cheap $5.99 a big bag.

Are you claiming that you're paying $5.99 for *20* pounds of
> Royal Oak at Wal-Mart? (The last person who claimed that turned out to
> have bought RO briquets).

The RO at Wally World around here are indeed lump, but the ones I''ve seen
are 10 lb bags for $5.x, not 20 punders

Larry

LT wrote:

>>>Wal-Mart sells Royal Oak Lump in Destin FL.....Garden dept not food

> area.
>
>>>and cheap $5.99 a big bag.

> Are you claiming that you're paying $5.99 for *20* pounds of
>
>>Royal Oak at Wal-Mart? (The last person who claimed that turned out to
>>have bought RO briquets).

> The RO at Wally World around here are indeed lump, but the ones I''ve seen
> are 10 lb bags for $5.x, not 20 punders

I'm not questioning whether or not Wal-Mart is selling lump (in the
material you snipped from my post, I mentioned it), only that the above
poster said he was getting a "big bag" for $5.99. Since Royal Oak is
available in 10 lb. and 20 lb. bags, I really doubt he's getting 20
pounds for that price. (Maybe the 20 lb. is a "bigger bag"? <g>).

As for the Royal Oak lump vs. briquet confusion:

http://tinyurl.com/dvmsc

See post #1, #14 and #15.

LT

> I'm not questioning whether or not Wal-Mart is selling lump (in the
> material you snipped from my post, I mentioned it), only that the above
> poster said he was getting a "big bag" for $5.99. Since Royal Oak is
> available in 10 lb. and 20 lb. bags, I really doubt he's getting 20
> pounds for that price. (Maybe the 20 lb. is a "bigger bag"? <g>).
>
> As for the Royal Oak lump vs. briquet confusion:

I understood what you meant. Guess the snip was confusing.

Not to belabor this, but the 10 lb bag is pretty "big"... it's just not too
full.

Larry T

Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:42:55 GMT, "LT" > wrote:

>> > Wal-Mart sells Royal Oak Lump in Destin FL.....Garden dept not food

>area.
>> > and cheap $5.99 a big bag.

>Are you claiming that you're paying $5.99 for *20* pounds of
>> Royal Oak at Wal-Mart? (The last person who claimed that turned out to
>> have bought RO briquets).

>The RO at Wally World around here are indeed lump, but the ones I''ve seen
>are 10 lb bags for $5.x, not 20 punders
>
>Larry

That is roughly half of what I pay.

Harry
Jimbo

>>The RO at Wally World around here are indeed lump, but the ones I''ve seen
>>are 10 lb bags for $5.x, not 20 punders
>>
>>Larry
>>>

> That is roughly half of what I pay.
>
> Harry

RO Lump Sunday at Wally World was $5.27 for a 10 pound bag.
The bag looks about the same size as a 20 pound briquettes bag.