Michael

Default Pork loin roast

The lovely and gracious Missus Bubba brought home a pork loin roast she
found at half price. She was so proud of herself for saving money I didn't
want to tell her I didn't like 'em, too dry and lean for me. I need to cook
it today or tomorrow, any hints? I have an ECB with mods and a Weber. Or
should I make chili verde?

TIA, Bubba

Larry

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 07:56:53 +0100, "Michael" > wrote:

>The lovely and gracious Missus Bubba brought home a pork loin roast she
>found at half price. She was so proud of herself for saving money I didn't
>want to tell her I didn't like 'em, too dry and lean for me. I need to cook
>it today or tomorrow, any hints? I have an ECB with mods and a Weber. Or
>should I make chili verde?
>
>TIA, Bubba

I don't think dry and lean would work too good outside. We did one
this week with peach chutney in the crockpot. Nothing that I know of
can help with the lean part, but ours was sure nice and juicy and fall
apart tender.

Of course when it is really hot we would just take the crockpot
outside and plug it in there. Unfortunately, pork loin roast needs
cooking with moisture - IMHO.

jinym

Michael wrote:
> The lovely and gracious Missus Bubba brought home a pork loin roast she
> found at half price. She was so proud of herself for saving money I didn't
> want to tell her I didn't like 'em, too dry and lean for me. I need to cook
> it today or tomorrow, any hints? I have an ECB with mods and a Weber. Or
> should I make chili verde?
>
> TIA, Bubba

I gril roast pork loins on the WSM frequently. The key is to cook at a
high temp and not overcook. I usually take them of at about 140-145
internal. After a rest, I slice. They are always moist and tender.

Jim

jinym

"Michael" > wrote:
> The lovely and gracious Missus Bubba brought home a pork loin roast she
> found at half price. She was so proud of herself for saving money I
> didn't want to tell her I didn't like 'em, too dry and lean for me. I
> need to cook it today or tomorrow, any hints? I have an ECB with mods and
> a Weber. Or should I make chili verde?

Mmmmm. Chili verde! Can I have some? ;-)

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael" > wrote in message
> The lovely and gracious Missus Bubba brought home a pork loin roast she
> found at half price. She was so proud of herself for saving money I didn't
> want to tell her I didn't like 'em, too dry and lean for me. I need to
> cook
> it today or tomorrow, any hints? I have an ECB with mods and a Weber. Or
> should I make chili verde?
>
> TIA, Bubba

Use the Weber. Cook it on a medium heat until it reaches about 145, then
take it off and let it rest for about 15 minutes. Done right it is moist
and tender.

Rub it down with some favorite herbs and spices. Stuff it if you'd like.
There are a couple or recipes on my web page that are good for pork on the
grill, one of my favorites.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Default User

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Michael" > wrote in message
> > The lovely and gracious Missus Bubba brought home a pork loin roast
> > she found at half price. She was so proud of herself for saving
> > money I didn't want to tell her I didn't like 'em, too dry and lean
> > for me. I need to cook
> > it today or tomorrow, any hints? I have an ECB with mods and a
> > Weber. Or should I make chili verde?
> >
> > TIA, Bubba

> Use the Weber. Cook it on a medium heat until it reaches about 145,
> then take it off and let it rest for about 15 minutes. Done right it
> is moist and tender.
>
> Rub it down with some favorite herbs and spices. Stuff it if you'd
> like. There are a couple or recipes on my web page that are good for
> pork on the grill, one of my favorites.

My brother did some for my nieces' graduation party over the weekend.
Turned out great, I especially liked the one with the jerk paste.

Brian
J.B. Bobbitt

I'd be intersted in the chile verde recipes from this group.

-jbb

J.B. Bobbitt > wrote:
> I'd be intersted in the chile verde recipes from this group.
>
> -jbb
>
> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 16:42:34 GMT, Larry > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 07:56:53 +0100, "Michael" > wrote:
> >
> >>The lovely and gracious Missus Bubba brought home a pork loin roast she
> >>found at half price. She was so proud of herself for saving money I
> >>didn't want to tell her I didn't like 'em, too dry and lean for me. I
> >>need to cook it today or tomorrow, any hints? I have an ECB with mods
> >>and a Weber. Or should I make chili verde?
> >>
> >>TIA, Bubba
> >>

> >I don't think dry and lean would work too good outside. We did one
> >this week with peach chutney in the crockpot. Nothing that I know of
> >can help with the lean part, but ours was sure nice and juicy and fall
> >apart tender.
> >
> >Of course when it is really hot we would just take the crockpot
> >outside and plug it in there. Unfortunately, pork loin roast needs
> >cooking with moisture - IMHO.

When my wife had her restaurant, I would occasionally make this as a Daily
Special for our Latino customers:

Boonchoo Thai~Chinese Restaurant

Thai Chile Verde or Mexican Gang Ki Wan para ti!

Ingredients:

2 lb. Tomatillos or Thai eggplant
4 pounds of boneless pork shoulder or the meat of your choice
1/2 cup rice flour or masa harina
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Gaeng Keo Warn(1), 1/2 cup or 1/2 recipe
1 cup coconut milk -get it at a Thai-Asian market
2 each 14-1/2 oz. Cans peeled and diced tomatoes - with liquid, or 2 lbs.
Roma tomatoes, chopped 2 each 7 oz. Cans Ortega diced, smoked, green chili
peppers 8 napolitos - get them at a Latino market
15 to 20 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 onions
4 jalapeno, Thai, Serrano or Habanero chiles
4 Anaheim chiles or anchos
1 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
1-1/2 tablespoons salt, to taste
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon sugar, to taste

lime wedges
cooked white rice
warm corn tortillas

Pre-cooking:

Cut the pork meat in chunks. Save any big pieces of fat to cook in with
the black beans(2). Chop the tomatillos, garlic cloves, jalapenos, onions
and Anaheim chilies and set aside.

Scrape spines off napolitos, cut into 1/2 x 2" strips and boil in salted
water about 10 minutes until tender.

Set tall pot in mid-high heat. Add the cold olive oil to hot pot. Dredge
the meat in rice flour and fry until it looks medium brown, mixing it
constantly to avoid burning. Now add the coconut milk, tomatoes -with
liquid, Ortega diced green chili peppers, chopped veggies, ground black
pepper, gang ki warn, cumin, salt and cayenne. Mix it well and let it cook
for at least 1 hour, adjusting flavor to taste as desired, stirring
frequently, until the meat is very soft. You can turn the heat down to a
low simmer and let it set for a couple of more hours, stirring occasionally
to prevent sticking. Add some good beer, if it starts to get too thick. Add
napolitos and cilantro just before serving.

Serve with cooked rice, black beans and lime wedges. Heat the tortillas and
enjoy! Serves 12 to 16.

Tip:

Heating tortillas on a microwave: To heat tortillas you can wrap them in a
kitchen towel and put them inside a container. Microwave 15 seconds per
tortilla.

(1). (Nam Prig) Gaeng Ki Warn (makes 1/4 cup or up to 1/2 cup if ground
with water)

Ingredients (or buy the paste at a Thai-Asian market)

2 pieces kah (also called kalangal or lao) - a form of ginger -get them at
a Thai-Asian market 2 pieces Kaffir lime rind -get them at a Thai-Asian
market 1/4 cup warm water

7 (1 oz.) Serrano chiles
1 stalk lemon grass, bottom 6 in. Only -get them at a Thai-Asian market
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (cilantro) root or the stems of cilantro
1/4 cup (1 oz.) finely chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons (1 oz.) finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon shrimp paste -get it at a Thai-Asian market

Soak the kah and Kaffir lime rind in the warm water for 15 minutes. Drain
before using. Retain the water for grinding (see below) if necessary.

Remove the stems, but not the seeds, from the chiles and chop the chiles
finely. Chop the kah, Kaffir lime rind and lemon grass finely. Add the
remaining ingredients and pound or grind in a mortar or blender. If you use
a blender, you may have to add a little water to aid in grinding. This will
last in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks
or in the freezer for up to 6 months.

(2). Black Beans (Habichuelas Negras-estilo Puerto Riqueño al Cristofalo)
Serves 12 to 16.

Ingredients

2 cups dried black beans, rinsed
6 cups water
1 cup Marsala wine
8 slices bacon or equivalent amount of pork shoulder fat or a patita
(Latino market) 1 tablespoon onion powder or 1 finely minced yellow onion
2 teaspoons celery salt or 2 finely minced stalks of celery and 1 teaspoon
of salt 2 finely chopped Serrano chiles
4 to 8 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon cumin

Rinse, but don’t blanche the beans! It removes some of the delicate flavor
along with the badge of a ‘beaner’! Combine the beans and water in a large
kettle. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove
from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.

Cut the bacon or pork fat into small pieces and slow cook until crisp. Add
to beans along with any drippings. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a
boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer over a very low fire, stirring
frequently, for at least 2 to 3 hours, until beans are very soft and sauce
has thickened. I love it!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

> J.B. Bobbitt > wrote:
> > I'd be intersted in the chile verde recipes from this group.

> > >I don't think dry and lean would work too good outside. We did one
> > >this week with peach chutney in the crockpot. Nothing that I know of
> > >can help with the lean part, but ours was sure nice and juicy and fall
> > >apart tender.
> > >
> > >Of course when it is really hot we would just take the crockpot
> > >outside and plug it in there. Unfortunately, pork loin roast needs
> > >cooking with moisture - IMHO.
> > >

> When my wife had her restaurant, I would occasionally make this as a
> Daily Special for our Latino customers:

(Sorry correcting some formatting errors that occurred during prior post)

> [...]
> 2 finely chopped Serrano chiles
> 4 to 8 cloves garlic, crushed
> 2 bay leaves
> 1 teaspoon cumin
>
> Rinse, but don’t blanche the beans! It removes some of the delicate
> flavor along with the badge of a ‘beaner’! Combine the beans and water in
> a large kettle. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 or 3
> minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
>
> Cut the bacon or pork fat into small pieces and slow cook until crisp.
> Add to beans along with any drippings. Add remaining ingredients and
> bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer over a very low fire,
> stirring frequently, for at least 2 to 3 hours, until beans are very soft
> and sauce has thickened. I love it!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and

Dave

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:13:41 GMT, J.B. Bobbitt
> wrote:

>I'd be intersted in the chile verde recipes from this group.
>
>-jbb
>

>On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 16:42:34 GMT, Larry > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 07:56:53 +0100, "Michael" > wrote:
>>
>>>The lovely and gracious Missus Bubba brought home a pork loin roast she
>>>found at half price. She was so proud of herself for saving money I didn't
>>>want to tell her I didn't like 'em, too dry and lean for me. I need to cook
>>>it today or tomorrow, any hints? I have an ECB with mods and a Weber. Or
>>>should I make chili verde?
>>>
>>>TIA, Bubba
>>>

>>I don't think dry and lean would work too good outside. We did one
>>this week with peach chutney in the crockpot. Nothing that I know of
>>can help with the lean part, but ours was sure nice and juicy and fall
>>apart tender.
>>
>>Of course when it is really hot we would just take the crockpot
>>outside and plug it in there. Unfortunately, pork loin roast needs
>>cooking with moisture - IMHO.

I have had good luck with smoking pork loins. The key is to take it
off when the temp hits 140-145. Just use basic seasoning - salt
(kosher), pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and a little cayenne to
taste. Only takes about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours with a constant temp of
250 or so at the grate level/ I have a custom smoker from
louisianasmoke.com, and use a touch of mesquite at the beginning and a
bit of hickory and apple thrown on after the first hour or so. Had a
potluck today at work, and the smoked pork loin was a hit/

Dave in Northern Colorado
Dave in Northern CO.
Reg

Dave wrote:

> I have had good luck with smoking pork loins. The key is to take it
> off when the temp hits 140-145.

Zactly. Add some S&P and you're ready to eat.

> I have a custom smoker from louisianasmoke.com

Interesting looking stuff there. Which one do you have, and how did
you find these guys, if I may ask?

Dave

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:33:43 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>
>> I have had good luck with smoking pork loins. The key is to take it
>> off when the temp hits 140-145.

>Zactly. Add some S&P and you're ready to eat.
>
>> I have a custom smoker from louisianasmoke.com

>Interesting looking stuff there. Which one do you have, and how did
>you find these guys, if I may ask?

The one I have currently is not shown on the web page. My wife put
the page together for Allen, the owner or Louisianasmoke, and he is
going to build me a custom smoker in return once I figure out what I
want.

He started out doing catering, and somebody saw the smoker he built
and decided they wanted it, and he ended up building smoker's rather
than catering. He does a fine job of cooking also.

Found him by riding past his place on a poker run. (Didn't get good
cards at any of the stops, but went back by his place and picked up a
great smoker)
Dave in Northern CO.
Reg

Dave wrote:

> The one I have currently is not shown on the web page. My wife put
> the page together for Allen, the owner or Louisianasmoke, and he is
> going to build me a custom smoker in return once I figure out what I
> want.
>
> He started out doing catering, and somebody saw the smoker he built
> and decided they wanted it, and he ended up building smoker's rather
> than catering. He does a fine job of cooking also.
>
> Found him by riding past his place on a poker run. (Didn't get good
> cards at any of the stops, but went back by his place and picked up a
> great smoker)

Thanks for the info, Dave. Sometimes the best suppliers are the
smaller ones. They work harder for you.

If you get the chance post some pictures of your new smoker when
you get it.