Default Maintaining A Steady Temp While Smoking

I've been smoking on my Char-Griller now for about 2 months, and it's
been going well. The only issue that has arisen is keeping the temp
steady. When I first start, I put 4-5 scoops (The scoop is a 1 quart
animal feed scoop) in the SFB, and then put a chimney full on top of
that, and then 2-3 more scoops on top of the lit lump. After about
15-20 minutes or so, and for an additional 2 hours, the temp is app
275. After about 2 hours, I start adding more lump- 2-3 scoops at a
time, every 30-45 minutes. After the initial temp of about 275, it
never seems to go over 200 for the rest of the smoke. Does the way I
start and add lump seem correct? Should I be adding a chimney of lump
instead of unlit lump throughout the process, or once it's lit, should
I add un-lit lump only, as I've been doing?

Thanks again for your collective help, time, and expertise!!

Jim

Duwop

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've been smoking on my Char-Griller now for about 2 months, and it's
> been going well.

We're talkin about the chargriller pro offset I expect. I use that cooker
too, great grill, good enough for Q.

>The only issue that has arisen is keeping the temp
> steady. When I first start, I put 4-5 scoops (The scoop is a 1 quart
> animal feed scoop) in the SFB, and then put a chimney full on top of
> that, and then 2-3 more scoops on top of the lit lump. After about
> 15-20 minutes or so, and for an additional 2 hours, the temp is app
> 275.

Damn! You've been getting steady temps up to two hours in your first couple
of months of ownership? Took me two years, congratulations man. You don't
fret much about 25-40 degree swings do ya? I expect a load to go up to
260-275F and will let it go down to @ 225-230F before adding fuel again.

>After about 2 hours, I start adding more lump- 2-3 scoops at a
> time, every 30-45 minutes. After the initial temp of about 275, it
> never seems to go over 200 for the rest of the smoke. Does the way I
> start and add lump seem correct? Should I be adding a chimney of lump
> instead of unlit lump throughout the process, or once it's lit, should
> I add un-lit lump only, as I've been doing?

I've always added unlit as most of the smoke comes during the lighting
process.

Dana Myers has posted here on how to use the minion method in an offset
here. Here's a link to just one of his posts on it:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...ed3e96f?hl=en&

I've had good luck using the technique. Don't worry about copying it
verbatim, you just want to understand the concept of what you'r trying to
do, which is laying the lump in a way that it lights up over time.

I've found that as the cook goes on that ash starts to build up and dampen
the fire, so you got to open the vents up. I've had some luck removing ash
which helps the fire using a flattened fireplace shovel.

Dale

Duwop wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I've been smoking on my Char-Griller now for about 2 months, and it's
> > been going well.

> We're talkin about the chargriller pro offset I expect. I use that cooker
> too, great grill, good enough for Q.
>
> >The only issue that has arisen is keeping the temp
> > steady. When I first start, I put 4-5 scoops (The scoop is a 1 quart
> > animal feed scoop) in the SFB, and then put a chimney full on top of
> > that, and then 2-3 more scoops on top of the lit lump. After about
> > 15-20 minutes or so, and for an additional 2 hours, the temp is app
> > 275.

> Damn! You've been getting steady temps up to two hours in your first couple
> of months of ownership? Took me two years, congratulations man. You don't
> fret much about 25-40 degree swings do ya? I expect a load to go up to
> 260-275F and will let it go down to @ 225-230F before adding fuel again.
>

> >After about 2 hours, I start adding more lump- 2-3 scoops at a
> > time, every 30-45 minutes. After the initial temp of about 275, it
> > never seems to go over 200 for the rest of the smoke. Does the way I
> > start and add lump seem correct? Should I be adding a chimney of lump
> > instead of unlit lump throughout the process, or once it's lit, should
> > I add un-lit lump only, as I've been doing?

> I've always added unlit as most of the smoke comes during the lighting
> process.
>
> Dana Myers has posted here on how to use the minion method in an offset
> here. Here's a link to just one of his posts on it:
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...ed3e96f?hl=en&
>
> I've had good luck using the technique. Don't worry about copying it
> verbatim, you just want to understand the concept of what you'r trying to
> do, which is laying the lump in a way that it lights up over time.
>
> I've found that as the cook goes on that ash starts to build up and dampen
> the fire, so you got to open the vents up. I've had some luck removing ash
> which helps the fire using a flattened fireplace shovel.
>
> Dale
> --

Thanks, Dale! I appreciate your input!! Everything has always turned
out great- with the exception of spare ribs a couple times. However,
that wasn't so much a temp problem, as it was a time issue. I'm getting
ready to make the leap that separates the boys from the men- BRISKET!!
I'm going to try one- probably next weekend. If that turns out good,
I'll be happy! I've done chicken- parts & pieces and whole chickens,
ribs, and me and the wife's favorite- pulled pork. The only big thing
remaining that I haven't smoked is brisket!
BTW- you're right- I have the Char-Griller Super-Pro w/ the SFB. I love
it! I'm not sure if it's because it's really that good, or if it's
because it's the only smoker I've ever used!

Thanks again- here's to a good brisket next weekend!!

What works better for extra smoke over and above the smoke I get from
the lump- wood chips or chunks?

Thanks,

Jim

Al Reid

> wrote in message oups.com...
> Duwop wrote:
>
> What works better for extra smoke over and above the smoke I get from
> the lump- wood chips or chunks?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

I have a CB Silver Smoker and have been using it for a little over 3 weeks now. My first attempt at temperature control was a
complete failure. I did a lot of reading and searching and now I have found that I can get about 6 hours of steady heat and good
smoke by doing the following.

Turn the grate so that there is as much room under it as possible to allow for good air flow and to have somewhere for the ash to
accumulate. I am using a heavy grate about 15.75" square from an old grill. I then put three pieces of split Apple wood on the
grate. I then put lump charcoal on all sides of the wood. That is then covered with 10# of charcoal. I then dump one chimney of
lit charcoal over top. Close the lid and open the vents fully. Once the temps hot about 240 to 250, close the vent to the
appropriate opening ( in my case it's fully closed with the stack fully open). Every couple of hours I tap the fire box to remove
ash from the coals.

I suppose one would call this a modified Minion method?

--
Al Reid

Duwop

"Al Reid" > wrote in message

> I suppose one would call this a modified Minion method?

I'd call that King Kong Minion. 6 hours on an offset? Dayam, thought 3 hours
was good! Gonna try something like that now, thanks for sharing the
possibility Al.

I liked how you started with "create room under the fire". Without that the
other stuff's wasted.

Thanks again,

Dale

Al Reid

"Duwop" > wrote in message ...
> "Al Reid" > wrote in message
> >
> > I suppose one would call this a modified Minion method?
> >

> I'd call that King Kong Minion. 6 hours on an offset? Dayam, thought 3 hours
> was good! Gonna try something like that now, thanks for sharing the
> possibility Al.

I should also mention that I made most of the suggested modifications immediately after my disasterous first smoke. During my first
attempt I had temps as low as 180 and as high as 380.

I had two 6 hour burns in a row using the described method. I admit that I have made only a limited number of trials, seing that I
only assembled it on July 15th.

> I liked how you started with "create room under the fire". Without that the
> other stuff's wasted.

Before I switched to the heavy grate, I had two of the supplied grates in and turned 90 degrees. At the end of 8 hours they had
both sagged and conformed to the shape of the firebox. at that point I had nothing but trouble with the temperatures. Thats' when
I decided to try the other grate.

> Thanks again,
>
> Dale

Brick

On 5-Aug-2005, "Al Reid" > wrote:

> "Duwop" > wrote in message ...
> > "Al Reid" > wrote in message

<snip>

> > I liked how you started with "create room under the fire". Without that the
> > other stuff's wasted.

> Before I switched to the heavy grate, I had two of the supplied grates in and turned 90 degrees. At the end of 8 hours they had
> both sagged and conformed to the shape of the firebox. at that point I had nothing but trouble with the temperatures. Thats' when
> I decided to try the other grate.
> >
> > Dale

Damn Al, there must be some considerable difference between the Charbroil materials
and those used by the original New Braunfels. My firebox grates (NBS) are as flat
today as when I first fired it up in May of 2003 and I've had it Cherry read a time or
two. I've never had that much fuel in it though.
About the most I've ever had was perhaps three chimneys (1.1# Ea.) and two 3" dia
oak logs. I get about 2 hr burns on a good day.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Dana H. Myers

Brick wrote:
> On 5-Aug-2005, "Al Reid" > wrote:
>

>>"Duwop" > wrote in message ...
>>
>>>"Al Reid" > wrote in message
>>>

> <snip>
>
>>>I liked how you started with "create room under the fire". Without that the
>>>other stuff's wasted.

>>Before I switched to the heavy grate, I had two of the supplied grates in and turned 90 degrees. At the end of 8 hours they had
>>both sagged and conformed to the shape of the firebox. at that point I had nothing but trouble with the temperatures. Thats' when
>>I decided to try the other grate.

[...]

I've been flipping the CB firegrates over each burn to keep them
sort of "flatter", but they do sag pretty easily.

> Damn Al, there must be some considerable difference between the Charbroil materials
> and those used by the original New Braunfels. My firebox grates (NBS) are as flat
> today as when I first fired it up in May of 2003 and I've had it Cherry read a time or
> two. I've never had that much fuel in it though.
> About the most I've ever had was perhaps three chimneys (1.1# Ea.) and two 3" dia
> oak logs. I get about 2 hr burns on a good day.

I've gotten into the habit of just dumping lump out of the bag into
the firebox until it's pretty full, then pushing the lump to the sides
to make room in the center for the chimney of burning lump. I'm seeing
3.5 to 4 hours without adding fuel this way, though, like others, I do
need to tap ash out of the way and sometimes scrape it out of the bottom
of the firebox.

Cheers,
Dana
Al Reid

"Brick" > wrote in message

> Damn Al, there must be some considerable difference between the Charbroil
> materials
> and those used by the original New Braunfels. My firebox grates (NBS) are
> as flat
> today as when I first fired it up in May of 2003 and I've had it Cherry
> read a time or
> two. I've never had that much fuel in it though.
> About the most I've ever had was perhaps three chimneys (1.1# Ea.) and two
> 3" dia
> oak logs. I get about 2 hr burns on a good day.
>
> --
> The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
> my mind.)

> Newsgroups
> =----

I couldn't figure out why I couldnt keep the temps up and found out that
there was no space under the grate for air to get in. I originall thought
it had just slipped or something. I was shocked when I pulled the grates
out and saw that they had sagged down to the bottom of the fire box.

I'm a little surprised that you only get 2 hr burns. One article a I read
talked about getting 4+ hr burns. I modified the method a bit, but not
much. I do have to tap the fire box every so often to knock down the ash.
I guess time will tell if my last two tries were flukes or if it will
continue. I hope it holds true.

--
Al Reid

Dana H. Myers

Al Reid wrote:

> I'm a little surprised that you only get 2 hr burns. One article a I read
> talked about getting 4+ hr burns. I modified the method a bit, but not
> much. I do have to tap the fire box every so often to knock down the ash.
> I guess time will tell if my last two tries were flukes or if it will
> continue. I hope it holds true.

I'm getting 4 hour burns for some time, since I started basically
filling the firebox before dumping the burning lump. I do have to
knock down ash, too, and, to go longer than 4 hours, add more fuel
and scrape out the ashes on the bottom.

Dana

Brick

On 5-Aug-2005, "Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

> Brick wrote:

> > <snip>
> >

> I've gotten into the habit of just dumping lump out of the bag into
> the firebox until it's pretty full, then pushing the lump to the sides
> to make room in the center for the chimney of burning lump. I'm seeing
> 3.5 to 4 hours without adding fuel this way, though, like others, I do
> need to tap ash out of the way and sometimes scrape it out of the bottom
> of the firebox.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

I might try that, but frankly I'm not unhappy with the process I'm using, which
I got from you in the first place. Thanks. I dump from a five gallon bucket instead
of direct from the bag. A 20# bag is too much for me to handle when it's full.
And forget about handling 40# bags. I still like my NBS, but I have started cooking
again in my El Cheapo Gasser. (Actually, it's the equivalent of a gas fired WSM for
quality and construction.)
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Dana H. Myers

Brick wrote:
> On 5-Aug-2005, "Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

[...]

>>I've gotten into the habit of just dumping lump out of the bag into
>>the firebox until it's pretty full, then pushing the lump to the sides
>>to make room in the center for the chimney of burning lump. I'm seeing
>>3.5 to 4 hours without adding fuel this way, though, like others, I do
>>need to tap ash out of the way and sometimes scrape it out of the bottom
>>of the firebox.

> I might try that, but frankly I'm not unhappy with the process I'm using, which
> I got from you in the first place. Thanks.

Sure, no problem, just reporting on what I've been doing lately.
You got working system, no need to change when you're happy ;-)

> I dump from a five gallon bucket instead
> of direct from the bag. A 20# bag is too much for me to handle when it's full.
> And forget about handling 40# bags. I still like my NBS, but I have started cooking
> again in my El Cheapo Gasser. (Actually, it's the equivalent of a gas fired WSM for
> quality and construction.)

I've been thinking about a cheap gas bullet myself, they have 'em at Wal-Mart
pretty cheap and it'd be fun to dial another cooker in this summer.

Thanks -
Dana