Default need info. for pork barbecue and smoked drumsticks

Hello folks. I have a smoker and I would like to make pork barbecue
and smoked drumsticks. When I lived in Southern Virginia I used to
really enjoy the pork barbecue sandwiches. The pork was well seasoned
and needed no additional sauce or flavoring. I liked to put cole slaw
right on the sandwich. I believe there is a North Carolina version of
this too. If possible, I would like the recipe and smoking process for
both the Virginia and North Carolina versions. There is another type
of pulled pork that is pretty bland, and you have to add bottled sauces
for flavor. I really don't like this version.

I've heard a lot of good things about smoked drumsticks, but have never
actually tried them. If anyone has any recipe info. and smoking
instructions, I would be interested in learning about them. Many
thanks.

--sam

p-nut

> Hello folks. I have a smoker and I would like to make pork barbecue
> and smoked drumsticks. When I lived in Southern Virginia I used to
> really enjoy the pork barbecue sandwiches. The pork was well seasoned
> and needed no additional sauce or flavoring. I liked to put cole slaw
> right on the sandwich. I believe there is a North Carolina version of
> this too. If possible, I would like the recipe and smoking process
> for both the Virginia and North Carolina versions. There is another
> type of pulled pork that is pretty bland, and you have to add bottled
> sauces for flavor. I really don't like this version.
>
> I've heard a lot of good things about smoked drumsticks, but have
> never actually tried them. If anyone has any recipe info. and smoking
> instructions, I would be interested in learning about them. Many
> thanks.
>
> --sam

I did these Turkey Legs about a month ago and they turned out awesome.
I smoked them for about 5.5hrs using applewood at 220 degrees.
http://home.earthlink.net/~phat-boy/images/turkey_legs/

Here is the brine I used:

Brine for Smoked Turkey Legs
1 gallon water
1 cup kosher or unionized salt
1/2 cup sugar
6 fresh tarragon leaves or 1/4 cup dried tarragon
1 teaspoon black pepper

The water you use should be unclorinated. If you don't have easy
access to good spring water. Boil it first, let it cool and then add all
other ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Place turkey legs in large non -
metallic
dish and cover completely with brine. Let sit in refrigerator for 24
hours or overnight. Remove turkey legs from brine and dry. Coat with olive
oil. Place in Smoker

Brick

On 26-Jul-2005, wrote:

> Hello folks. I have a smoker and I would like to make pork barbecue
> and smoked drumsticks. When I lived in Southern Virginia I used to
> really enjoy the pork barbecue sandwiches. The pork was well seasoned
> and needed no additional sauce or flavoring. I liked to put cole slaw
> right on the sandwich. I believe there is a North Carolina version of
> this too. If possible, I would like the recipe and smoking process for
> both the Virginia and North Carolina versions. There is another type
> of pulled pork that is pretty bland, and you have to add bottled sauces
> for flavor. I really don't like this version.
>
> I've heard a lot of good things about smoked drumsticks, but have never
> actually tried them. If anyone has any recipe info. and smoking
> instructions, I would be interested in learning about them. Many
> thanks.
>
> --sam

Highly recommend starting with the BBQ FAQ.

You can get a copy of the latest BBQ List FAQ
in one of the following ways:

1) Vince Vielhaber has set up an email autoresponder.

Send email to:

and you'll get the ascii text version, zipped up, by return
email.

Send mail to:

and you'll get the ascii text version in a self extracting zip
file by return email.

and you'll get a straight ascii version, not zipped.

and you will get the MS Word 6.0 version in a self-extracting
zip file
by return mail.

Leave the subject and message body blank.

2) You can also get the BBQ List FAQ by visiting Vince's Web site:

<http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/>

You can download several different formats of the FAQ here.

You can also view the FAQ in HTML format he

<http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq>

3) You can read the FAQ on Dan Gill's Barbecue Survival Guide Web
page at:

<http://members.tripod.com/~DanGill/Survive.HTML>

4) Alex Baker has Word 6.0 and Adobe Acrobat versions of the
FAQ available for downloading.

His Web site is <http://www.calweb.com/~ambaker/bbqfaq.html>

Or you can get them directly via ftp by:

<ftp://ftp.calweb.com/users/a/ambaker/faq-word.zip>
<ftp://ftp.calweb.com/users/a/ambaker/faq-10.doc>
<ftp://ftp.calweb.com/users/a/ambaker/faq-acro.pdf>

Alex also has a link to download the Adobe Acrobat viewer.
The Acrobat version of the FAQ has internal links from the
Table of Contents to the respective sections in the document.

For those of you who do not have MS Word 6.0 or 7.0 or Word 97 who
wish to read
the FAQ in Word format, you can download the MS Word Viewer from
Microsoft for
free. The Word viewer will allow you to view MS Word documents and
print
them, but not edit them or create new documents.

Here's how to get it:

Set your Web browser to:

<http://www.microsoft.com/msword/internet/viewer/>

and select the version for the Windows operating system you have:

The 97 version for Win95 and the 16-bit version for Win3.1x

You'll find there about everything you need to know to BBQ most
anything that comes to mind.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)

Thanks folks. I checked out the FAQ and there is a wealth of
information that will help me out.

--sam

Smoked Pork Chops isw General Cooking 23 20-07-2014 06:23 PM
killer apple smoked barbecue guiller General Cooking 7 02-03-2011 09:52 PM
Real Texas Pit Barbecue Flavor - Slow Smoked Meat Goodness graham Sourdough 0 30-04-2010 02:48 PM
Pork Drumsticks in South Dakota Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 13 08-07-2006 11:37 AM