ceed

Default Mesquite hyped?

Hi,

The local San Antonio paper had two whole pages on smoking and BBQ the
other day. An interesting read with opinions from many of the areas great
pit-masters. I will not go into detail, but a lot was about which wood to
use, and not use. What struck me was that mesquite didn't fare well with
many of the BBQ guru's featured in the article. Most of them seemed to
think it was hyped up and that it needed to be mixed with other wood for
great results. The most popular woods were pecan (and of course hickory)
which everyone mentioned as part of their mix. Also, the ones using
mesquite only used dark red wood without any bark. Is this some kind of
trend? Does BBQ woods fall in and out of fashion, or? I am too new to the
"BBQ scene" to be able to determine if this is part of a trend, or just
conincidence based on the selection of experts for this article.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Dave Bugg

ceed wrote:

> .....Is this some kind of trend? Does BBQ woods fall in
> and out of fashion, or?

What you read is what has been the truth forever. Mesquite, while
particularly good for grilling with an open cooker -- due to its high btu
output -- is not great for use in an enclosed pit. There is too much risk
of bitterness if used at lower 'Q temps, where it is easy for it to smolder.
And once a pit is fouled with mesquite, it is a chore to get it back into
usability. For 'Q in the southwest, pecan, hickory, or even oak have been
the woods of choice.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

ceed

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:26:29 -0500, Dave Bugg > wrote:

> And once a pit is fouled with mesquite, it is a chore to get it back into
> usability.

Just to make sure I understand: Are you saying that the pit gets permanent
"damage" by using mesquite, or?

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
John O

> What you read is what has been the truth forever. Mesquite, while
> particularly good for grilling with an open cooker -- due to its high btu
> output -- is not great for use in an enclosed pit.

I didn't believe that until I wasted some chicken. I love the smell of
mesquite, but, yes, it tastes awful in the smoker. On the grill, a nice
smoky chunk is wonderful for steaks...

-John O

ceed

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:11:40 -0500, John O >
wrote:

> I didn't believe that until I wasted some chicken. I love the smell of
> mesquite, but, yes, it tastes awful in the smoker. On the grill, a nice
> smoky chunk is wonderful for steaks...

What about mesquite based lump charcoal?

--
//ceed ©¿©¬

Barry Bean

ceed
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote in newsp.suh064lq21xk10@bobdello:

> Does BBQ woods fall in and out of fashion, or?

They do if you want to make fashionable BBQ. On the other hand, if what
you're interested in is making great BBQ that you love and can proudly
serve, then experiment until you find the wood(s) that work best for you,
your cooking style, your rub/marinade/sauce, and your grill.

Personally, I like mesquite a lot, and have used it in conjunction with
hickory charcoal for the past 30 years to good effect. YMMV.
ceed

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:14:43 -0500, Barry Bean >
wrote:

> They do if you want to make fashionable BBQ. On the other hand, if what
> you're interested in is making great BBQ that you love and can proudly
> serve, then experiment until you find the wood(s) that work best for you,
> your cooking style, your rub/marinade/sauce, and your grill.

I have made wonderful brisket in my smoker using mesquite, but chicken
doesn't turn out great, so I will do some more experimenting. Thank you
for your advice.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Matthew L. Martin

ceed wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:14:43 -0500, Barry Bean >
> wrote:
>
>> They do if you want to make fashionable BBQ. On the other hand, if what
>> you're interested in is making great BBQ that you love and can proudly
>> serve, then experiment until you find the wood(s) that work best for you,
>> your cooking style, your rub/marinade/sauce, and your grill.

> I have made wonderful brisket in my smoker using mesquite, but chicken
> doesn't turn out great, so I will do some more experimenting. Thank you
> for your advice.

I favor fruit woods for poultry. Black cherry is my personal favorite.
Apple, plum, pear etc are pretty much interchangeable, IME. YMMV.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Duwop

wrote in message

> What about mesquite based lump charcoal?

It's mesquite ain't it?

It's a taste thing, can't stand the stuff myself.

Dave Bugg

ceed wrote:

> Just to make sure I understand: Are you saying that the pit gets
> permanent "damage" by using mesquite, or?

Damaged, or maybe it is more accurate to say "yuccky", yes. Maybe not
permanent -- although it depends on the level of energy the individual might
wish to put into rejuvenating his pit.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Dave Bugg

ceed wrote:

> What about mesquite based lump charcoal?

Lump charcoal, by definition, is carbonized mesquite. It won't have -- and
this is a general statement -- the volatile tars and oils that can funk-up a
pit. If it still has some "wood" left to it, it provides some flavor, but
far less danger of funkerization.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Barry Bean

wrote in newsp.suive2s521xk10@bobdello:

> I have made wonderful brisket in my smoker using mesquite, but chicken
> doesn't turn out great, so I will do some more experimenting. T

Ultimately, you and your taste buds are the only standard that matters.
Barry Bean

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in news:zRsFe.7709$VG6.4465
@fe07.lga:

> Lump charcoal, by definition, is carbonized mesquite.

Do tell!
Dave Bugg

Barry Bean wrote:

> Do tell!

Sorry, Barry, did I miss something?

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Default User

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Barry Bean wrote:
>
> > Do tell!

> Sorry, Barry, did I miss something?

You said, "Lump charcoal, by definition, is carbonized mesquite."

I think you meant to say, "Mesquite lump, . . . "

Brian

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> ceed wrote:
>
>> What about mesquite based lump charcoal?

> Lump charcoal, by definition, is carbonized mesquite. It won't have --
> and this is a general statement -- the volatile tars and oils that can
> funk-up a pit. If it still has some "wood" left to it, it provides some
> flavor, but far less danger of funkerization.
>
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> http://davebbq.com/

The charcoal making process pretty much neuters anything used in it. What is
supposed to be left is pure carbon, but it is not truly pure.

TFM®

wrote in message newsp.suh064lq21xk10@bobdello...
> Hi,
>
> The local San Antonio paper had two whole pages on smoking and BBQ the
> other day. An interesting read with opinions from many of the areas great
> pit-masters. I will not go into detail, but a lot was about which wood to
> use, and not use. What struck me was that mesquite didn't fare well with
> many of the BBQ guru's featured in the article. Most of them seemed to
> think it was hyped up and that it needed to be mixed with other wood for
> great results. The most popular woods were pecan (and of course hickory)
> which everyone mentioned as part of their mix. Also, the ones using
> mesquite only used dark red wood without any bark. Is this some kind of
> trend? Does BBQ woods fall in and out of fashion, or? I am too new to the
> "BBQ scene" to be able to determine if this is part of a trend, or just
> conincidence based on the selection of experts for this article.
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

Mesquite may be tolerable for grilling a piece of beef, but it's completely
worthless for smoking.

You're not too new. People have been lying to others and themselves about
how good mesquite is supposed to be for years.

It's a Texan scam. They're overrun with the weed. They want to convince
non-Texans that it's good. That way, not only do they get rid of the weed,
they make a profit on it as well.

I say let the damn Texans have all their mesquite and the rest of us can
cook on real wood.

TFM®
(I stand here and defy any of you Texans to claim it ain't a weed!)

TFM®

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>
> > Barry Bean wrote:
> >
> > > Do tell!

> > Sorry, Barry, did I miss something?

> You said, "Lump charcoal, by definition, is carbonized mesquite."
>
> I think you meant to say, "Mesquite lump, . . . "
>

> Brian

One of those anal, nitpicking mother ****ers, are you?

You know what the **** he meant.

TFM®

Dave Bugg

Default User wrote:

> You said, "Lump charcoal, by definition, is carbonized mesquite."
>
> I think you meant to say, "Mesquite lump, . . . "

Sorry. I thought since we were talking about mesquite and mesquite lump, it
might appear redundant stating "mesquite lump". I'll know better next time.
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Barry Bean

"Default User" > wrote in news:3knskiFv48u5U1
@individual.net:

> Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Barry Bean wrote:
>>
>> > Do tell!

>> Sorry, Barry, did I miss something?

> You said, "Lump charcoal, by definition, is carbonized mesquite."
>
> I think you meant to say, "Mesquite lump, . . . "

What he said.

Jack Sloan

"Eddie" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 02:36:24 GMT, "TFM®" >
> wrote:
>

> >"ceed"

><ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopq rstuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
> >wrote in message newsp.suh064lq21xk10@bobdello...
> >> Hi,

> >Mesquite may be tolerable for grilling a piece of beef, but it's

completely
> >worthless for smoking.
> >
> >You're not too new. People have been lying to others and themselves

about
> >how good mesquite is supposed to be for years.
> >
> >It's a Texan scam. They're overrun with the weed. They want to convince
> >non-Texans that it's good. That way, not only do they get rid of the

weed,
> >they make a profit on it as well.
> >
> >I say let the damn Texans have all their mesquite and the rest of us can
> >cook on real wood.
> >

> >TFM®
> >(I stand here and defy any of you Texans to claim it ain't a weed!)

> TFM, I think mesquite is considered a nuisance plant in Texas.
> Actually the only ones I've seen are not real trees, rather more like
> a large bush. And IIRC mesquite is not harvested for charcoal in
> Texas. I may be wrong, but I think it's illegal to cut that large
> weed.
> All mesquite lump comes from Mexico.
> Eddie
> who uses mesquite for grilling only.

Well, I'm here to tell ya that mesquite is indeed a tree . It is most
definitely not illegal to cut , slash,chop,saw,or otherwise deface,mar ,
mangle,or otherwise harm a mequite in any way. It is great for grillin' and
bad for smokin'.
Don't know if all mesquite lump comes from Mexico or not. but bring yer saw
down here and get mad at a bunch of mesquite trees.
Jack

Dave Bugg

Jack Sloan wrote:

> Don't know if all mesquite lump comes from Mexico or not. but bring
> yer saw down here and get mad at a bunch of mesquite trees.

LOL
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

frohe

TFM® wrote:
> Mesquite may be tolerable for grilling a piece of beef, but it's
> completely worthless for smoking.

True statement

> You're not too new. People have been lying to others and themselves
> about how good mesquite is supposed to be for years.
> It's a Texan scam. They're overrun with the weed. They want to
> convince non-Texans that it's good. That way, not only do they get
> rid of the weed, they make a profit on it as well.
> I say let the damn Texans have all their mesquite and the rest of us
> can cook on real wood.
> TFM®
> (I stand here and defy any of you Texans to claim it ain't a weed!)

We don't call it a weed for one good reason, TFM - We don't want folks
thinkin we're talkin wood when we're talkin grass. <g>

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

TFM. wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> > Dave Bugg wrote:

> > > Sorry, Barry, did I miss something?

> > You said, "Lump charcoal, by definition, is carbonized mesquite."
> >
> > I think you meant to say, "Mesquite lump, . . . "
> >

> > Brian

> One of those anal, nitpicking mother ****ers, are you?
>
> You know what the **** he meant.

Yes, I do. *I* didn't question it, just explained why the other guy was
ribbing Dave a bit.

Get a grip.

Brian
ceed

wrote:

> They do if you want to make fashionable BBQ. On the other hand, if what
> you're interested in is making great BBQ that you love and can proudly
> serve, then experiment until you find the wood(s) that work best for you,
> your cooking style, your rub/marinade/sauce, and your grill.
> Personally, I like mesquite a lot, and have used it in conjunction with
> hickory charcoal for the past 30 years to good effect. YMMV.

Isn't it also a regional factor involved? I read this somewhe

"Out on the West Texas plains, barbecue is usually cooked over a slow fire
of mesquite wood, while in southern and central Texas pecan and oak are
more common. Farther east, barbecue pits are stoked with hickory."

Wouldn't you use what's available in your neighbourhood thereby creating
an authentic local flavor? I know that up in the North West they use Alder
a lot. One of the reasons must be that it grows there, right?

Anyhow, I just grilled some pork chops on Mesquite coals. Wonderful! I
will experiement more in the future, but I still think it's too harsh to
call Mesquite "a Texan scam" like another poster did. I am a "fake Texan"
myself moved here from Europe a few years back, so I do not take it
personally. Serving bitter Q I would take personally though!

--
//ceed ©¿©¬

Brick

On 27-Jul-2005, ceed
wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:14:43 -0500, Barry Bean >
> wrote:
>
> > They do if you want to make fashionable BBQ. On the other hand, if what
> > you're interested in is making great BBQ that you love and can proudly
> > serve, then experiment until you find the wood(s) that work best for
> > you,
> > your cooking style, your rub/marinade/sauce, and your grill.
> > Personally, I like mesquite a lot, and have used it in conjunction with
> > hickory charcoal for the past 30 years to good effect. YMMV.

> Isn't it also a regional factor involved? I read this somewhe
>
> "Out on the West Texas plains, barbecue is usually cooked over a slow fire
>
> of mesquite wood, while in southern and central Texas pecan and oak are
> more common. Farther east, barbecue pits are stoked with hickory."
>
> Wouldn't you use what's available in your neighbourhood thereby creating
> an authentic local flavor? I know that up in the North West they use Alder
>
> a lot. One of the reasons must be that it grows there, right?
>
> Anyhow, I just grilled some pork chops on Mesquite coals. Wonderful! I
>
> will experiement more in the future, but I still think it's too harsh to
> call Mesquite "a Texan scam" like another poster did. I am a "fake Texan"
>
> myself moved here from Europe a few years back, so I do not take it
> personally. Serving bitter Q I would take personally though!
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

A little sanity prevails. I spent some time in the S.A. area circa '64/'65.
I had access to all the down dried mesquite in the world and a brick
grill with a smoke stack. We didn't smoke anything, but we grilled
every weekend, sometimes in the middle of the week. When you're
poor, you run what you brung and you don't bitch about what it is. Folks
that crap on others for using what they have, ought to take another look
at what they don't personally have.

If somebody prefers the smell/taste of mesquite, who are you all to take
offense? Frankly, I like citrus, but that's what's available here. And it's
"GOOD".
--
The Brick said that (If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.)

Barry Bean

ceed
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com
> wrote in newsp.suljqlqn21xk10@bobdello:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:14:43 -0500, Barry Bean >
> wrote:
>
>> They do if you want to make fashionable BBQ. On the other hand, if
>> what you're interested in is making great BBQ that you love and can
>> proudly serve, then experiment until you find the wood(s) that work
>> best for you, your cooking style, your rub/marinade/sauce, and your
>> grill. Personally, I like mesquite a lot, and have used it in
>> conjunction with hickory charcoal for the past 30 years to good
>> effect. YMMV.

> Isn't it also a regional factor involved?

Not if the goal is to produce great BBQ that you love and can proudly
serve.

> Wouldn't you use what's available in your neighbourhood thereby
> creating an authentic local flavor? I know that up in the North West
> they use Alder a lot. One of the reasons must be that it grows there,
> right?

That's one option, but why limit yourself? Your taste buds are the
ultimate test.

ceed

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:04:13 -0500, Barry Bean >
wrote:

>> Isn't it also a regional factor involved?

> Not if the goal is to produce great BBQ that you love and can proudly
> serve.

I have been using mesquite quite a lot and have gotten results I am proud
of, but mostly mesquite lump, not chunks.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Dave Bugg

ceed wrote:

> I have been using mesquite quite a lot and have gotten results I am
> proud of, but mostly mesquite lump, not chunks.

That is a big difference as far as potential negative outcomes go. But you
CAN use chunks as well - they just need to be used sparingly and with
attention to smoke output.
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Dave Bugg

Barry Bean wrote:

> That's one option, but why limit yourself? Your taste buds are the
> ultimate test.

And it depends where in a region one is located. Here in central washington
state, Alder ain't to be found. But I get loads of cherry, pear, apricot,
apple, peach dropped off by the TON from orchardists who eat here, and like
the idea that their wood goes into my pit. I also have a tree-trimmer -- a
transplant from North Carolina --- who bring me truckloads of maple and
english walnut; residential trees which need to be removed or trimmed up.

That reminds me, if any of you guys --- Foscoe and JD, etc --- come around,
be prepared to take some of this stuff off my hands.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Barry Bean

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in
:

>> I have been using mesquite quite a lot and have gotten results I am
>> proud of, but mostly mesquite lump, not chunks.

> That is a big difference as far as potential negative outcomes go. But
> you CAN use chunks as well - they just need to be used sparingly and
> with attention to smoke output.

Whenever possible, I soak my mesquite chunks in water for a few hours. My
primary fire is hickory lump, and I throw on a few mesquite chunks every
hour or so to keep the smoke levels up.
Barry Bean

Bubbabob > wrote in
. 3.30:

>> Whenever possible, I soak my mesquite chunks in water for a few hours.
>> My primary fire is hickory lump, and I throw on a few mesquite chunks
>> every hour or so to keep the smoke levels up.
>>

> Nothing wrong with throwing mesquite in a bucket of water. The problem
> starts when you take it out and try to use it for BBQ.

Yeah, the problem is that people crowd around and eat all the BBQ while
making appreciative noises and asking for more!
Dave Bugg

"Barry Bean" > wrote in message

> Yeah, the problem is that people crowd around and eat all the BBQ while
> making appreciative noises and asking for more!

In a world where people crowd into a McDonalds for a McRib, and think
Applebees is numero uno for babyback ribs, I'm not sure a crowd of people is
the highest level of recommendation. :-)
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

kilikini

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> "Barry Bean" > wrote in message
>
> > Yeah, the problem is that people crowd around and eat all the BBQ while
> > making appreciative noises and asking for more!

> In a world where people crowd into a McDonalds for a McRib, and think
> Applebees is numero uno for babyback ribs, I'm not sure a crowd of people

is
> the highest level of recommendation. :-)
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> http://davebbq.com/

Well, Mr. Bugg? If I was still on that side of the country, I'd be all over
your place. <g> I hope you're doing as well as you'd hoped and I wish you
nothing but the best. As for babybacks, who wants 'em? Not enough meat and
too over priced, IMNSHO. Give me spares! Just a little salt and pepper
(very light on the pepper) and do 'em low and slow. THAT I will
eat............(and as many of you know, I don't eat much at ALL.)

kili

Dave Bugg

kilikini wrote:

> Well, Mr. Bugg? If I was still on that side of the country, I'd be
> all over your place. <g>

I'd hope so. But then you and Alan have sentimental ties that go beyond
mere food :-)

> I hope you're doing as well as you'd hoped
> and I wish you nothing but the best.

Thanks, mucho. It has been a great experience. The workload is stunning;
but it is wonderful. I love it!!

> As for babybacks, who wants
> 'em? Not enough meat and too over priced, IMNSHO. Give me spares!

Exactly!!! As far as restaurant fare goes, folks who have a good 'Qed spare
rib don't want to waste money on the bbback ripoff express again.

> Just a little salt and pepper (very light on the pepper) and do 'em
> low and slow. THAT I will eat............(and as many of you know, I
> don't eat much at ALL.)

You and Alan can come and nibble at my place anytime.
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Barry Bean

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in
:

> "Barry Bean" > wrote in message
>
>> Yeah, the problem is that people crowd around and eat all the BBQ
>> while making appreciative noises and asking for more!

> In a world where people crowd into a McDonalds for a McRib, and think
> Applebees is numero uno for babyback ribs, I'm not sure a crowd of
> people is the highest level of recommendation. :-)

What would you recommend as a measure?
Dave Bugg

Barry Bean wrote:

> What would you recommend as a measure?

I recomend that you invite us all over to your house :-) I love tasting
other folks Q!!!!!

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

bbq

Dave Bugg wrote:

> kilikini wrote:
>

>> As for babybacks, who wants
>>'em? Not enough meat and too over priced, IMNSHO. Give me spares!

> Exactly!!! As far as restaurant fare goes, folks who have a good 'Qed spare
> rib don't want to waste money on the bbback ripoff express again.

Babybacks are not ALWAYS expensive. I have 3 racks in the freezer that
I got for $1.99 lb. It was an unadvertised special. There generally
not real meaty, but then neither have the spares I have been seeing this
summer (including the spares I saw being cooked at the Rib Fest over the
weekend).

I enjoy babybacks as much as spares. I can Q a rack of them on the
Kettle in about 90 minutes or the the WSM if time is not in short supply
that day. Spares, have not had great success in doing on the kettle.

BBQ
Dave Bugg

bbq wrote:

> ...There
> generally not real meaty, but then neither have the spares I have
> been seeing this summer (including the spares I saw being cooked at
> the Rib Fest over the weekend).

A lot of folks don't understand that spares are ordered in specific weights
described as "pound or down". In other words, you can order ribs fron 1.25
pounds or down, to 5.5 pounds or down per slab. So, if your seeing "spare"
spare ribs, the meat guy is ordering ribs that are of a lighter weight per
slab. In competition, a lot of guys will use a light slab because it takes
less time to cook. That is also the reason babybacks became so popular. 20
years ago, they were considered an inferior cut of rib. But restauraunts
found out they could churn them out in as little as 30 minutes of cooking
time, and that's where the demand began.

Restaurants purchase the majority of babybacks available, which is the
reason for the premium price. If restaurants would ever decide to forgo
babybacks in favor of spares, the price of babybacks would drop like a rock
and the price of spares would skyrocket.

BTW, we also get great deals from chain grocers all the time. I'm always
checking with safeway and albertsons to see if they recived any unordered
case goods of brisket flats, spares, pork butts or fryer chickens. For
instance, last week I scored 400 pounds of WONDERFULLLL brisket flats for
0.69 a pound. They hadn't ordered 'em, but their central distribution
facility decided to send 'em.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Denny Wheeler

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:44:49 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>BTW, we also get great deals from chain grocers all the time. I'm always
>checking with safeway and albertsons to see if they recived any unordered
>case goods of brisket flats, spares, pork butts or fryer chickens. For
>instance, last week I scored 400 pounds of WONDERFULLLL brisket flats for
>0.69 a pound. They hadn't ordered 'em, but their central distribution
>facility decided to send 'em.

Wow. Good deal! Congrats to you on that score.
<denny starts looking at driving time, Everett to Wenatchee....>

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.

Mesquite Pod Flour Sal Paradise General Cooking 0 29-07-2015 07:23 PM
Q: Mesquite Lump? Does it add mesquite flavor? Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 13 16-06-2011 02:40 AM
Nitrite free trend...fact based or mostly hyped [email protected] Barbecue 2 21-05-2007 01:00 PM
Mesquite Beer The Joneses Preserving 0 19-05-2006 02:18 AM
Mesquite Powder? Peter Watson Preserving 5 17-08-2004 11:53 AM