Default Motor oil toxic for BBQ?

Well due to a little mishap the guy who does our lawn got his blower
too close to this open container of old motor oil in our garage (door
was open). Just so happens that my WSM, chimmney and bag of lump were
next to it. The blower splattered oil everwhere including those items.
I wiped pretty much all of it off the WSM. The chimmney has oil
stains as well as the bag of lump (and I assume some of the chunks
inside absorbed it).

So do I need to throw the chimmney and lump away or is it safe to use?
There was also some on my spatula, again most of it cleaned off but
still wondering if I should just toss it.

Thanks,

Jesse

Hairy

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well due to a little mishap the guy who does our lawn got his blower
> too close to this open container of old motor oil in our garage (door
> was open). Just so happens that my WSM, chimmney and bag of lump were
> next to it. The blower splattered oil everwhere including those items.
> I wiped pretty much all of it off the WSM. The chimmney has oil
> stains as well as the bag of lump (and I assume some of the chunks
> inside absorbed it).
>
> So do I need to throw the chimmney and lump away or is it safe to use?
> There was also some on my spatula, again most of it cleaned off but
> still wondering if I should just toss it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jesse

*They* say that used motor oil contains carcinogens, but I believe it takes
years of exposure to cause harm. I'd throw the spatula in the dishwasher.
The chimney will burn off any oil the first time it's fired up. If it's just
splatters on the bag of lump, the paper probably absorbed most if not all of
the oil. If the bag was laying in a puddle, I'd pitch it. I'd be most
concerned about the WSM. I'd make sure to get all the oil off of it so that
the smell of hot used motor oil doesn't ruin the aroma of my next cook.;_)

Hairy wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Jesse
> >

> *They* say that used motor oil contains carcinogens, but I believe it takes
> years of exposure to cause harm. I'd throw the spatula in the dishwasher.
> The chimney will burn off any oil the first time it's fired up. If it's just
> splatters on the bag of lump, the paper probably absorbed most if not all of
> the oil. If the bag was laying in a puddle, I'd pitch it. I'd be most
> concerned about the WSM. I'd make sure to get all the oil off of it so that
> the smell of hot used motor oil doesn't ruin the aroma of my next cook.;_)

Yea well "they" also say BBQ has carcinogens from the burnt bits

Anyways thanks for the advice, on side of the bag was covered pretty
well with
splatters which now have formed large stains but like you said the
paper probably got most of it considering its fairly heavy duty.

As far as the WSM I was thinking of not only cleaning but also just
firing it up sans food one time to help burn off any bad stuff. Since
its on the outside guess it wouldn't hurt the food muchh but like you
said interfere with the smoke aroma.

Jesse

Pete Romfh

Hairy wrote:

> I'd be most concerned
> about the WSM. I'd make sure to get all the oil off of it
> so that the smell of hot used motor oil doesn't ruin the
> aroma of my next cook.;_) H

You mean my Q ain't supposed to smell like hot used motor oil ?
Damn! I knew I was doing somthin' wrong! =

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Slightly off-topic, but funny:

Back in the late 80's, when the net was still text based and you had to know UNIX to get around,
I followed a thread for some weeks on the topic of the *worst* fish-and-chips joint in the UK. The
hands-down winner was a description of a joint in the bowels of the train station in Edinborough,
Scotland. It was six levels below the street and the deisel fumes tended to settle there,
especially on still days. That smell got into the cooking oil, and saturate both fish *and* chips.

End of discussion.

>> I'd be most concerned
>> about the WSM. I'd make sure to get all the oil off of it
>> so that the smell of hot used motor oil doesn't ruin the
>> aroma of my next cook.;_) H

>You mean my Q ain't supposed to smell like hot used motor oil ?
>Damn! I knew I was doing somthin' wrong! =
>
>--
>Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
>promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Dana H. Myers

> Slightly off-topic, but funny:
>
> Back in the late 80's, when the net was still text based and you had to know UNIX to get around,
> I followed a thread for some weeks on the topic of the *worst* fish-and-chips joint in the UK. The
> hands-down winner was a description of a joint in the bowels of the train station in Edinborough,
> Scotland. It was six levels below the street and the deisel fumes tended to settle there,
> especially on still days. That smell got into the cooking oil, and saturate both fish *and* chips.

The irony, to me at least, is that I was at an upscale fundraising
event recently where the folks responsible for the electrical generators
were concerned about the odor from using bio-diesel (diesel fuel made
from used cooking oil).

Life is a big cycle, isn't it?

;-)

Dana
havingfun

throw the charcoal away
and clean the whole cooker
with simple green
then i would get a hot fire
and i would think you would be ok
on your next cook

havingfun

throw the charcoal away
and clean the whole cooker
with simple green
then i would get a hot fire
and i would think you would be ok
on your next cook

Cooking Lunchables on a Car Motor Always W/ WEEZAH General Cooking 1 09-07-2016 04:03 PM
Pasta motor bracket? S Viemeister[_2_] Cooking Equipment 3 19-10-2008 03:23 AM
Vitamix - Oil the Motor? jofftom Cooking Equipment 2 22-01-2006 06:20 PM
Hog Roaster Motor? ChuckM Barbecue 4 25-02-2004 06:45 PM
looking for 35 lb. cap. rotisserory motor MONTMACH Barbecue 6 16-11-2003 03:45 PM