FoodBanter.com

-   -   Save me from propane... Weber Performer, how often do you have to "coal up"? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/64938-save-me-propane-weber.html)

eelhc 11-07-2005 05:03 AM

Save me from propane... Weber Performer, how often do you have to "coal up"?

I have a Kamado #7 which I absolutely adore... but the wife's grumbling
that it's just too much hassle to start the coals (I do have the
propane option but but I just don't like the look of the tank standing
next to my beauty) just to grill a couple of burgers for the kids
lunch... and being a petite woman she has difficulty lifting the lid on
the #7. She's been asking for a small propane "utility" grill.

I of course, do not want to give in without a fight... The Weber
Performer looks like it'll do the trick if I can load up the coals for
several cooks... And I would not mind having another grill to back up
the K for big parties during the summer.

So how well does the Performer work? Does it come with a small propane
tank? Can I load the coals up for multiple cooks?

Tony Montano 14-07-2005 05:53 PM

I have had mine for over 10 years and I love it. There is a single gas jet
that lights the coal (I use lump and its ready in less than 10 mins) then
its a regular weber kettle. Its a great grill. Now I want to find myself a
cheap smoker to add to my repetoir.

oups.com...

Tony Montano 14-07-2005 05:58 PM

Can you load it for multiple cooks? Sort of. I seldom fill the thing (it
is usually just my wife and I--kids like boiled hot dogs) we seldom need
more than a couple of handfuls of lump. The unit seals tight, so when it is
closed down the coal is saved, but I usually add another handful or two
before the next episode. It has a built in storage container so its plenty
convienent. If its any help, my wife wont touch the damn thing--claims its
too complicated. Go figure.
oups.com...

cl 14-07-2005 09:21 PM

eelhc wrote:

> I have a Kamado #7 which I absolutely adore... but the wife's grumbling
> that it's just too much hassle to start the coals (I do have the
> propane option but but I just don't like the look of the tank standing
> next to my beauty) just to grill a couple of burgers for the kids
> lunch... and being a petite woman she has difficulty lifting the lid on
> the #7. She's been asking for a small propane "utility" grill.

I'd get on of those portable IR grills.

-CAL

ceed 14-07-2005 09:35 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:21:27 -0500, cl > wrote:

> I'd get on of those portable IR grills.

I got a Turbo portable IR a week ago after having borrowed my neighbours
one time too many:

http://www.bbqgalore.com/store/item.bbq?invky=9881053

I can do four medium sized ribeyes on it, and burgers come out incerdibly
good. I got the adapter so I can use it on 20lb propane instead of those
disposable 1lb ones. Comes with a bag and all you need. Really good stuff!
I am now down to only using this one and my smoker. My old middle of the
road gas grill doesn't cut it anymore.. :)

--
//ceed ©¿©¬

eelhc 15-07-2005 06:54 PM

The point is to avoid propane and have a backup/spillover for my
Kamado. If I can load up and my wife can get 3-4 cooks before
reloading... (in my Kamado, it's not uncommon to get 5 cooks with a
full load of coals), this looks to be the ideal grill.