FoodBanter.com

-   -   Remote thermometer recommedations (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/63393-remote-thermometer-recommedations.html)

p-nut 22-06-2005 06:06 PM

Remote thermometer recommedations

I'm looking to buy one of these and would like some recommendations from the
good people in here that already use them.

Make, model and where you bought would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Al Reid 22-06-2005 06:14 PM

"p-nut" > wrote in message m...
> I'm looking to buy one of these and would like some recommendations from the
> good people in here that already use them.
>
> Make, model and where you bought would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks.

I've had a Maverick ET-73 for about a year now. Lots of features and dual probes. I really like it except that I have never been
able to get the remote to work beyond about 20 feet, although it is advertised at 100 feet.

I'm going to watch the replies here to see if there is another one to try.

--

Al Reid

Reg 22-06-2005 07:25 PM

p-nut wrote:

> I'm looking to buy one of these and would like some recommendations from the
> good people in here that already use them.
>
> Make, model and where you bought would be very helpful.

My experience with low end wireless thermos hasn't been very good. I've
tried two brands.

Maverick - Excellent in all ways except for transmission distance.
They advertise 100 ft but it's a small fraction of that in actual
use. Not acceptable.

Radio Shack - I believe they call it the "BBQ Thermometer". Broke
within 24 hours of opening the package. What a POS.

I gave up on wireless and ran a few hundred ft of cat-5 wire. Now
it works reliably.

Al Reid 23-06-2005 02:37 PM

"Piedmont" > wrote in message ...

> "Al Reid" > wrote in message
> snip
> > I've had a Maverick ET-73 for about a year now. Lots of features and dual

> probes. I really like it > except that I have never been able to get the
> remote to work beyond about 20 feet, although it is > advertised at 100
> feet.
> > Al Reid

> I had the same problem, they are not good at distance, always losing the
> signal. Strongly not recommending Mavericks brand due to false advertising
> the range of their units.
> --
> Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
> The Practical Bar B Q'r at,
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw

Did you eventually find one that works at a reasonable distance or did you give up on the remote? It would be nice if I could
monitor the temps while mowing, gardening or working in the shop. Or, perhaps, I could just sit down next to the smoker, relax and
drink beer.

--
Al Reid

Piedmont 23-06-2005 03:33 PM

snip

Piedmont 23-06-2005 03:54 PM

"Al Reid" > wrote in message
SNIP
> Did you eventually find one that works at a reasonable distance or did you

give up on the remote? > It would be nice if I could monitor the temps
while mowing, gardening or working in the shop. Or, > perhaps, I could just
sit down next to the smoker, relax and drink beer.

> --
> Al Reid

Al,

I've been using a Polder single probe for a short time now, it seems to
work.

Harry Demidavicius 24-06-2005 01:00 AM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:54:00 -0500, "Piedmont" >
wrote:

>"Al Reid" > wrote in message
>SNIP
>> Did you eventually find one that works at a reasonable distance or did you

>give up on the remote? > It would be nice if I could monitor the temps
>while mowing, gardening or working in the shop. Or, > perhaps, I could just
>sit down next to the smoker, relax and drink beer.
>>
>> --
>> Al Reid
>>

>Al,
>
>I've been using a Polder single probe for a short time now, it seems to
>work.

I've got a pair of Polders but seldom use the probes now. I've
switched over to periodic checks with a Thermopen. I do stick the
Guru probe into the food about halfway through the cook if using a
Guru

Harry

SteveJ 30-06-2005 07:05 PM

I modifed my wireless and now iI get 300'

. ..

Al Reid 01-07-2005 02:57 AM

"SteveJ" > wrote in message
>I modifed my wireless and now iI get 300'

Cool. What did you do to it?

--
Al Reid

SteveJ 01-07-2005 03:14 AM

I added a antenna to the receiver that was bigger than the one they used,
( the wire inside the plastic box poor design ) and using the spectrum
analyzer on my bench I managed to step up the radiated power from the
transmitter by adding another wire on for the antenna.

SteveJ 01-07-2005 03:17 AM

Try this out also, seems like others are working on this also.
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/...7290051153/p/1

Al Reid 01-07-2005 03:21 AM

"SteveJ" > wrote in message
>I added a antenna to the receiver that was bigger than the one they used,
>( the wire inside the plastic box poor design ) and using the spectrum
>analyzer on my bench I managed to step up the radiated power from the
>transmitter by adding another wire on for the antenna.

Hmm. Since my ET-73 doesn't have an antenna, it may be hard to make it
bigger, Perhaps I can drill a hole in the case and hook one up. I really
don't know. I do know that a 20 foot range it darn near useless.

Al Reid 01-07-2005 03:24 AM

"SteveJ" > wrote in message
> Try this out also, seems like others are working on this also.
> http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/...7290051153/p/1

Thanks!

Heavy_Smoker 02-07-2005 03:33 AM

SteveJ said

> I added a antenna to the receiver that was bigger than the one
> they used, ( the wire inside the plastic box poor design ) and
> using the spectrum analyzer on my bench I managed to step up the
> radiated power from the transmitter by adding another wire on for
> the antenna.

Steve,

I've been considering hacking these as well. Mainly to re-locate the
transmitter switch outside the battery cover ... where it belongs.

In any event, I have a couple questions.

1) My receiver has no antenna. I see there is a via on the mezz
board where it appears the antennae would be connected.
http://tinyurl.com/b6gxj. Is this where you connected the antennae?
I also see an 0603 pad which appears to connect this via to the
remainder of the circuitry. Is there a resistor or cap on the pad?
If it's a resistor, can you determine the size?

2) My transmitter has no antennae either. Where did you connect the
antennae? I see no obvious place.

I hope to extend my range as well. ;-)

--
Better living through smoking.