FoodBanter.com

-   -   BBQing with bamboo chips? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/63176-bbqing-bamboo-chips.html)

R N 20-06-2005 04:24 AM

BBQing with bamboo chips?

I've done some internet searches and haven't found anything about using
bamboo chips etc in a grill to flavor what your meat or fish..
=A0=A0With so many woods being used in a bbq, it'd seem like there must
be some application for bamboo..
=A0=A0Anyone know of it being done?

A. Kesteloo 20-06-2005 06:40 AM

Never heard of it, I only know the use baboo stick for sate, or a bundle of
thin sticks as a kind of mob and spray liquid on the meat

Adriaan

"R N" > schreef in bericht
I've done some internet searches and haven't found anything about using
bamboo chips etc in a grill to flavor what your meat or fish..
With so many woods being used in a bbq, it'd seem like there must
be some application for bamboo..
Anyone know of it being done?

A. Kesteloo 20-06-2005 06:42 AM

I almost forgot, young bomaboo is not hard, and can be eaten. You find it as
an ingredient in many asian food

Adriaan

"A. Kesteloo" > schreef in bericht

R N 20-06-2005 12:17 PM

All bamboo is not edible, or not rated as such on the sites I've seen.
It's quite amazing to see Asians using bamboo as scaffolding. I've seen
it used many stories high to enable the painting of the outside of a
building. - Not in a Jackie Chan movie btw, but while I was living
overseas : )

[email protected] 27-06-2005 02:49 AM

I haven't tried using bamboo for smoke flavoring but I remember when
I've set bamboo skewers on fire that they really smelled good. You
ought to find a source of bamboo and burn it and see what you think.
If it smells good, use it. Note: there are many, many kinds of bamboo.

D.