Default Big green egg?

Anybody heard of these? http://biggreenegg.com/
I heard a commercial today for them. reminds me of the komodos(spelling?)

CSS

> wrote in message
> Anybody heard of these? http://biggreenegg.com/
> I heard a commercial today for them. reminds me of the komodos(spelling?)

uh oh, here we go again...

The Naked Whiz

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:55:00 GMT, > wrote:

>Anybody heard of these? http://biggreenegg.com/
>I heard a commercial today for them. reminds me of the komodos(spelling?)

Umm, yes, I own four of them. If you have any questions, visit the
BGE forum at that website and ask away. They are a modern version of
the old Kamado cookers from Japan. If you visit my Links page at the
first website listed below, you will find links to the webpages of all
the major manufacturers: Kamado, Grill Dome, Primo, Imperial Kamado,
Komodo Kamado, and Big Green Egg.

TNW
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ The Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking Page
http://www.lump-charcoal.com/ The Lump Charcoal Database
felton

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:56:11 GMT, The Naked Whiz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:55:00 GMT, > wrote:
>
>>Anybody heard of these? http://biggreenegg.com/
>>I heard a commercial today for them. reminds me of the komodos(spelling?)
>>

>Umm, yes, I own four of them. If you have any questions, visit the
>BGE forum at that website and ask away. They are a modern version of
>the old Kamado cookers from Japan. If you visit my Links page at the
>first website listed below, you will find links to the webpages of all
>the major manufacturers: Kamado, Grill Dome, Primo, Imperial Kamado,
>Komodo Kamado, and Big Green Egg.
>
>TNW
>http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ The Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking Page
>http://www.lump-charcoal.com/ The Lump Charcoal Database

Thanks for all the information. I am considering taking the plunge
and I have taken the first step...I have arranged to give away my
sorry old propane grill Anyway, I was visiting with one of the
local (Dallas) dealers of the the Big Green Egg and he actually told
me to hold on as they were about to start carrying the Grill Dome,
which he claimed to be superior and less expensive. I was a bit
shocked to hear these folks try and talk me into a product that costs
less and which they have yet to receive.

Any insights as to how the Grill Dome compares? Obviously the BGE
seems to be the most common/popular, but any insights would be greatly
appreciated as I really would like to get something soon

Thanks!
Dave

> wrote in message
> Anybody heard of these? http://biggreenegg.com/
> I heard a commercial today for them. reminds me of the komodos(spelling?)

I have a Primo Komodo. Since getting it a year ago the old Weber kettles
don't get much use. I've Q'ed during snowstorms and cold temps without a
problem. Hint, use lump charcoal with only a few pieces of aromatic
hardwoods.

Dave on a mountain in Colorado

Piedmont

> wrote in message
> Anybody heard of these? http://biggreenegg.com/
> I heard a commercial today for them. reminds me of the komodos(spelling?)

Same type of cooker, ceramic back breakers! Excellent in colder climates if
you can afford one as they are priced in the highest range for a lidded
grill/smoker. There are other makes available too.

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
The Practical Bar B Q'r at,

BOB

> Anybody heard of these?
http://biggreenegg.com/
> I heard a commercial today for them. reminds me of the
> komodos(spelling?)

Yes, I've heard of themand I have cooked on a couple of them. Yes,
they are excellent cookers.

Here's a link to what I have on my patio...I happen to like them
better than the BGE, partly because there are more accessories.
http://www.kamado.com/cgi-bin/discus...bobinfla-users

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

The Kamado grill is, IMHO, the best made for the money. I have a #7 in
cobalt tile. But dealing with the company is enough to make you pull
your hair out (Do a search on kamado customer service). They moved
their operation to Mexico and claim they will be working hard on
customer service issues, so YMMV.

Jim

jeff bennett

From what I've read, the Grill Dome is made from a
tougher material that doesn't crack as easily as
the BGE or Kamado.
Grill Dome claims to be able to run at higher temps
without cracking. Might be worth waiting for them
to come in.

http://www.grilldome.com/Flash/history.html
Louis Cohen

There's no real culinary reason to run a cooker above 600=B0 in the dome
- anything hotter will just cremate your food.

I have a Kamado that I'm happy with; I've had better luck than many
people with their customer service, but the service is erratic at best.

The nicest aspects of a ceramic cooker, which I think are probably
common to all of them out there a

- cooks low and slow for BBQ, roasts at regular oven temp, bakes at
high temp (eg for pizza, artisan bread, or grills hot

- can run long periods unattended, eg 12-20 hrs for pork butt, brisket

- can be used in any weather

- my wife thinks it looks nicer than a black steel BBQ

CSS

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
There's no real culinary reason to run a cooker above 600° in the dome
- anything hotter will just cremate your food.

I have a Kamado that I'm happy with; I've had better luck than many
people with their customer service, but the service is erratic at best.

The nicest aspects of a ceramic cooker, which I think are probably
common to all of them out there a

- cooks low and slow for BBQ, roasts at regular oven temp, bakes at
high temp (eg for pizza, artisan bread, or grills hot

- can run long periods unattended, eg 12-20 hrs for pork butt, brisket

- can be used in any weather

- my wife thinks it looks nicer than a black steel BBQ

As an aside, does anyone have any opinions or experience with the "other"
Komodo/Kamado being offered on eBay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I'm interested in this type of cooker, but the Kamado service horror stories
have made me very reluctant to purchase from them. This looks like a good
alternative.

Also, interesting story of how they got into the business at:
http://www.komodokamado.com/aboutus.html

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:25:07 -0700, "CSS" >
wrote:

>"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>There's no real culinary reason to run a cooker above 600° in the dome
>- anything hotter will just cremate your food.
>
>I have a Kamado that I'm happy with; I've had better luck than many
>people with their customer service, but the service is erratic at best.
>

>I'm interested in this type of cooker, but the Kamado service horror stories
>have made me very reluctant to purchase from them. This looks like a good
>alternative.
>
>Also, interesting story of how they got into the business at:
>http://www.komodokamado.com/aboutus.html

The Komodo is a blatant and total ripoff of Richard Johnson's cooker,
although they seem to have made some cosmetic changes.
It is merely an Internet address to me and I wouldn't send them 5
bucks never mind a thousand. Their 'sales office' is E-Bay, which
does not generate confidence for me.

The Johnsons have allways treated me well, service - wise and I know
what Richard and his family look like. If I need to expand my Kamado
fleet, I will undoubtedly buy from them as opposed to somebody who
ripped off his moulds and ideas and spends time bad mouthing the
Kamado Company.

I would also rather support the Mexican Economy that one from a
country that my Government is warning me not to travel to.

A Pox on all their houses!

Harry
[rant over and normal programming will resume]

Thanks alot guys for the input. I never realized that the Kamado's have been
having soo many problems, Everybody used to just rave about them.
I've still got a lot of looking and saving up to do but right the Grill Dome
looks like the best choice right now

Jack Schidt®

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:25:07 -0700, "CSS" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
groups.com...
>>There's no real culinary reason to run a cooker above 600° in the dome
>>- anything hotter will just cremate your food.
>>
>>I have a Kamado that I'm happy with; I've had better luck than many
>>people with their customer service, but the service is erratic at best.
>>

>>I'm interested in this type of cooker, but the Kamado service horror
>>stories
>>have made me very reluctant to purchase from them. This looks like a good
>>alternative.
>>
>>Also, interesting story of how they got into the business at:
>>http://www.komodokamado.com/aboutus.html
>>

> The Komodo is a blatant and total ripoff of Richard Johnson's cooker,
> although they seem to have made some cosmetic changes.
> It is merely an Internet address to me and I wouldn't send them 5
> bucks never mind a thousand. Their 'sales office' is E-Bay, which
> does not generate confidence for me.
>
> The Johnsons have allways treated me well, service - wise and I know
> what Richard and his family look like. If I need to expand my Kamado
> fleet, I will undoubtedly buy from them as opposed to somebody who
> ripped off his moulds and ideas and spends time bad mouthing the
> Kamado Company.
>
> I would also rather support the Mexican Economy that one from a
> country that my Government is warning me not to travel to.
>
> A Pox on all their houses!
>
> Harry
> [rant over and normal programming will resume]

Errr...how do you REALLY feel, Harry? I don't think the sugar coating was
at all necessary; we're all grownups here. :P

Jack

The Naked Whiz

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:21:23 -0400, jeff bennett
> wrote:

> From what I've read, the Grill Dome is made from a
>tougher material that doesn't crack as easily as
>the BGE or Kamado.
>Grill Dome claims to be able to run at higher temps
>without cracking. Might be worth waiting for them
>to come in.
>
>http://www.grilldome.com/Flash/history.html

Ummm, BGE ceramics will withstand 2000 degrees. How high do you have
to go?

TNW

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:59:47 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:25:07 -0700, "CSS" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
egroups.com...
>>>There's no real culinary reason to run a cooker above 600° in the dome
>>>- anything hotter will just cremate your food.
>>>
>>>I have a Kamado that I'm happy with; I've had better luck than many
>>>people with their customer service, but the service is erratic at best.
>>>

>>>I'm interested in this type of cooker, but the Kamado service horror
>>>stories
>>>have made me very reluctant to purchase from them. This looks like a good
>>>alternative.
>>>
>>>Also, interesting story of how they got into the business at:
>>>http://www.komodokamado.com/aboutus.html
>>>

>> The Komodo is a blatant and total ripoff of Richard Johnson's cooker,
>> although they seem to have made some cosmetic changes.
>> It is merely an Internet address to me and I wouldn't send them 5
>> bucks never mind a thousand. Their 'sales office' is E-Bay, which
>> does not generate confidence for me.
>>
>> The Johnsons have allways treated me well, service - wise and I know
>> what Richard and his family look like. If I need to expand my Kamado
>> fleet, I will undoubtedly buy from them as opposed to somebody who
>> ripped off his moulds and ideas and spends time bad mouthing the
>> Kamado Company.
>>
>> I would also rather support the Mexican Economy that one from a
>> country that my Government is warning me not to travel to.
>>
>> A Pox on all their houses!
>>
>> Harry
>> [rant over and normal programming will resume]

>Errr...how do you REALLY feel, Harry? I don't think the sugar coating was
>at all necessary; we're all grownups here. :P
>
>Jack

You know me, Jack - Moderation is my middle name . . . .

Harry
LeeBat

Bubbabob > wrote:

>> Ummm, BGE ceramics will withstand 2000 degrees. How high do you have
>> to go?
>>
>> TNW
>>

>Did they ever fix the chronic firebox cracking problem?

I've had my BGE for 6 years. Firebox cracked after the first year and
its replacement also lasted about a year. My third, and hopefully
final, firebox is still chugging along with no cracks.

<fingers crossed>

LeeBat
got my money's worth ....

The Naked Whiz

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:45:45 -0000, Bubbabob
> wrote:

>The Naked Whiz > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:21:23 -0400, jeff bennett
> wrote:
>>
>>> From what I've read, the Grill Dome is made from a
>>>tougher material that doesn't crack as easily as
>>>the BGE or Kamado.
>>>Grill Dome claims to be able to run at higher temps
>>>without cracking. Might be worth waiting for them
>>>to come in.
>>>
>>>http://www.grilldome.com/Flash/history.html

>> Ummm, BGE ceramics will withstand 2000 degrees. How high do you have
>> to go?
>>
>> TNW
>>

>Did they ever fix the chronic firebox cracking problem?

Well most owners don't consider a problem. I certainly don't. It
breaks and then you use the broken firebox. No big deal. Mine has
been broken for about 4 years and I've never felt the need to replace
it.

TNW
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#cracked
Steve S

> Well most owners don't consider a problem. I certainly don't. It
> breaks and then you use the broken firebox. No big deal. Mine has
> been broken for about 4 years and I've never felt the need to replace
> it.
>
> TNW
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#cracked

I understand that it will work with a broken firebox...

Shouldn't the firebox just not break in the first place?

The Naked Whiz

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:29:02 -0400, "Steve S" > wrote:

>> Well most owners don't consider a problem. I certainly don't. It
>> breaks and then you use the broken firebox. No big deal. Mine has
>> been broken for about 4 years and I've never felt the need to replace
>> it.
>>
>> TNW
>> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#cracked

>I understand that it will work with a broken firebox...
>
>Shouldn't the firebox just not break in the first place?

No, I suppose not, but the point is that it just doesn't matter. I
don't think anyone should make a decision based on whether or not the
firebox breaks. It would be nice, though, if BGE made fireboxes that
didn't break so that folks would stop asking about it.... :-)

TNW

Steve S

"The Naked Whiz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:29:02 -0400, "Steve S" > wrote:
>

> >> Well most owners don't consider a problem. I certainly don't. It
> >> breaks and then you use the broken firebox. No big deal. Mine has
> >> been broken for about 4 years and I've never felt the need to replace
> >> it.
> >>
> >> TNW
> >> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#cracked

> >I understand that it will work with a broken firebox...
> >
> >Shouldn't the firebox just not break in the first place?
> >

> No, I suppose not, but the point is that it just doesn't matter. I
> don't think anyone should make a decision based on whether or not the
> firebox breaks. It would be nice, though, if BGE made fireboxes that
> didn't break so that folks would stop asking about it.... :-)
>
> TNW

That's exactly my point.

It's only human nature to have a preference for whatever brand ceramic
cooker you spent "the big bucks" on.

I own a #7 Kamado and have had very good luck with it but I believe that all
the ceramic cookers have their issues. I've seen plenty on the K forum
regarding their cookers and this newsgroup regarding BGE cookers and am
guessing that Grill Dome and Primo have some issues as well.

Regardless, ceramic cooking is the way to go.

Steve

Jack Sloan

"Steve S" > wrote in message

> > >I understand that it will work with a broken firebox...
> > >
> > >Shouldn't the firebox just not break in the first place?
> > >

> > No, I suppose not, but the point is that it just doesn't matter. I
> > don't think anyone should make a decision based on whether or not the
> > firebox breaks. It would be nice, though, if BGE made fireboxes that
> > didn't break so that folks would stop asking about it.... :-)
> >
> > TNW

> That's exactly my point.
>
> It's only human nature to have a preference for whatever brand ceramic
> cooker you spent "the big bucks" on.
>
> I own a #7 Kamado and have had very good luck with it but I believe that

all
> the ceramic cookers have their issues. I've seen plenty on the K forum
> regarding their cookers and this newsgroup regarding BGE cookers and am
> guessing that Grill Dome and Primo have some issues as well.
>
> Regardless, ceramic cooking is the way to go.
>
> Steve

Grill Dome ...cracked firebox ...I've had it 2 years and the previous owner
4 years. Doesn't matter it still cooks great .The bottom dojigger that the
lump sits on is in 4 pieces...but they all fit together and do the job. The
top thingy that you regulate the smoke with is missing, so I use a flower
pot dish for that ...Ain't life grand?
Jack

bc

Jack Sloan wrote:
> "Steve S" > wrote in message

> > > No, I suppose not, but the point is that it just doesn't matter. I
> > > don't think anyone should make a decision based on whether or not the
> > > firebox breaks. It would be nice, though, if BGE made fireboxes that
> > > didn't break so that folks would stop asking about it.... :-)
> > >
> > > TNW

> > That's exactly my point.
> >
> > It's only human nature to have a preference for whatever brand ceramic
> > cooker you spent "the big bucks" on.
> >
> > I own a #7 Kamado and have had very good luck with it but I believe that

> all
> > the ceramic cookers have their issues. I've seen plenty on the K forum
> > regarding their cookers and this newsgroup regarding BGE cookers and am
> > guessing that Grill Dome and Primo have some issues as well.
> >
> > Regardless, ceramic cooking is the way to go.
> >
> > Steve
> >

> Grill Dome ...cracked firebox ...I've had it 2 years and the previous owner
> 4 years. Doesn't matter it still cooks great .The bottom dojigger that the
> lump sits on is in 4 pieces...but they all fit together and do the job. The
> top thingy that you regulate the smoke with is missing, so I use a flower
> pot dish for that ...Ain't life grand?
> Jack

I have a much younger grill dome, the x-tall stainless steel model, and
I love it. Clearly in the directions, it says don't use water to
clean. Perhaps that has something to do with cracked ceramic?

BTW, I really like the GD. Now I'm just trying to get the the mystical
level of knowledge that will allow me to put in an 18 to 20 hr cook
without having to manage the airflow so much. The dang thing just
wants to cool off right about when I really want to sleep. I've read
the magic lump management methods, and I think I just need to keep
working at it.

- bc

Jack Sloan

oups.com...

wrote:

It

has

replace

the

that

> > > That's exactly my point.
> > >
> > > It's only human nature to have a preference for whatever brand ceramic
> > > cooker you spent "the big bucks" on.
> > >
> > > I own a #7 Kamado and have had very good luck with it but I believe

that
> > all
> > > the ceramic cookers have their issues. I've seen plenty on the K

forum
> > > regarding their cookers and this newsgroup regarding BGE cookers and

am
> > > guessing that Grill Dome and Primo have some issues as well.
> > >
> > > Regardless, ceramic cooking is the way to go.
> > >
> > > Steve
> > >

> > Grill Dome ...cracked firebox ...I've had it 2 years and the previous

owner
> > 4 years. Doesn't matter it still cooks great .The bottom dojigger that

the
> > lump sits on is in 4 pieces...but they all fit together and do the job.

The
> > top thingy that you regulate the smoke with is missing, so I use a

flower
> > pot dish for that ...Ain't life grand?
> > Jack

> I have a much younger grill dome, the x-tall stainless steel model, and
> I love it. Clearly in the directions, it says don't use water to
> clean. Perhaps that has something to do with cracked ceramic?
>
> BTW, I really like the GD. Now I'm just trying to get the the mystical
> level of knowledge that will allow me to put in an 18 to 20 hr cook
> without having to manage the airflow so much. The dang thing just
> wants to cool off right about when I really want to sleep. I've read
> the magic lump management methods, and I think I just need to keep
> working at it.
>
> - bc

Why do you want to cook for 18 hours??? I cook butts to 190* @ 300 in 5
or 6 hours and I guarantee you couldn't tell the difference in taste or
texture in that and an 18 hour @225 WSM cooked butt. These Grill Domes are
magic (once you figger out how to set 'em.)
Jack

Jack

Jack Sloan

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "bc" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >

> > Jack Sloan wrote:
> > > "Steve S" > wrote in message

> It

> has

> replace

> the

> that

ceramic

> that
> > > all

> forum

> am

> > > Grill Dome ...cracked firebox ...I've had it 2 years and the previous

> owner
> > > 4 years. Doesn't matter it still cooks great .The bottom dojigger that

> the
> > > lump sits on is in 4 pieces...but they all fit together and do the

job.
> The
> > > top thingy that you regulate the smoke with is missing, so I use a

> flower
> > > pot dish for that ...Ain't life grand?
> > > Jack

> > I have a much younger grill dome, the x-tall stainless steel model, and
> > I love it. Clearly in the directions, it says don't use water to
> > clean. Perhaps that has something to do with cracked ceramic?
> >
> > BTW, I really like the GD. Now I'm just trying to get the the mystical
> > level of knowledge that will allow me to put in an 18 to 20 hr cook
> > without having to manage the airflow so much. The dang thing just
> > wants to cool off right about when I really want to sleep. I've read
> > the magic lump management methods, and I think I just need to keep
> > working at it.
> >
> > - bc

> Why do you want to cook for 18 hours??? I cook butts to 190* @ 300 in 5
> or 6 hours and I guarantee you couldn't tell the difference in taste or
> texture in that and an 18 hour @225 WSM cooked butt. These Grill Domes are
> magic (once you figger out how to set 'em.)
> Jack
>
> Jack

BTW, I haven't ever cleaned it ,but water could play some part in it's slow
demise...it stays outside under a patio cover but a strong sideways rain
gets it as well as the sprinkler.
Jack

Steve S

> BTW, I really like the GD. Now I'm just trying to get the the mystical
> level of knowledge that will allow me to put in an 18 to 20 hr cook
> without having to manage the airflow so much. The dang thing just
> wants to cool off right about when I really want to sleep. I've read
> the magic lump management methods, and I think I just need to keep
> working at it.
>
> - bc

You might want to (if you haven't already) take a look at the "Virtual Weber
Bullet" site.

Check out the "Minion Method" .

Works great for low & slow's

Steve

bc

Jack Sloan wrote:
> "bc" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >

> > Jack Sloan wrote:
> > > "Steve S" > wrote in message

> It

> has

> replace

> the

> that

> that
> > > all

> forum

> am

> > > Grill Dome ...cracked firebox ...I've had it 2 years and the previous

> owner
> > > 4 years. Doesn't matter it still cooks great .The bottom dojigger that

> the
> > > lump sits on is in 4 pieces...but they all fit together and do the job.

> The
> > > top thingy that you regulate the smoke with is missing, so I use a

> flower
> > > pot dish for that ...Ain't life grand?
> > > Jack

> > I have a much younger grill dome, the x-tall stainless steel model, and
> > I love it. Clearly in the directions, it says don't use water to
> > clean. Perhaps that has something to do with cracked ceramic?
> >
> > BTW, I really like the GD. Now I'm just trying to get the the mystical
> > level of knowledge that will allow me to put in an 18 to 20 hr cook
> > without having to manage the airflow so much. The dang thing just
> > wants to cool off right about when I really want to sleep. I've read
> > the magic lump management methods, and I think I just need to keep
> > working at it.
> >
> > - bc

> Why do you want to cook for 18 hours??? I cook butts to 190* @ 300 in 5
> or 6 hours and I guarantee you couldn't tell the difference in taste or
> texture in that and an 18 hour @225 WSM cooked butt. These Grill Domes are
> magic (once you figger out how to set 'em.)

Hmmm. You know, this is something I'll have to play with. I have Paul
Kirk's "Championship Barbecue" book, and have read lot's of other stuff
where the cook times are pretty long for Brisket and Butt. Seems like
other folks on the GD forum cook well below 250 dome temp as well.

- bc

William Morris

Steve S wrote:

> > BTW, I really like the GD. Now I'm just trying to get the the mystical
> > level of knowledge that will allow me to put in an 18 to 20 hr cook
> > without having to manage the airflow so much. The dang thing just
> > wants to cool off right about when I really want to sleep. I've read
> > the magic lump management methods, and I think I just need to keep
> > working at it.
> >
> > - bc
> >

> You might want to (if you haven't already) take a look at the "Virtual Weber
> Bullet" site.
>
> Check out the "Minion Method" .
>
> Works great for low & slow's
>
> Steve

Go to Tejas web site and take a look at what just might be the best smoker made
with a lifetime warranty! I have cooked brisket, chicken, pork butt, sausage and
some of the best grilled steaks I have ever eaten. The temp. is easy to control
and you don't have to continually keep adjusting this smoker! It's worth the
look.
Bill

DrQ

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:09:28 +0700, Harry Demidavicius wrote
(in article >):

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:59:47 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message

>>> The Komodo is a blatant and total ripoff of Richard Johnson's cooker,
>>> although they seem to have made some cosmetic changes.
>>> It is merely an Internet address to me and I wouldn't send them 5
>>> bucks never mind a thousand. Their 'sales office' is E-Bay, which
>>> does not generate confidence for me.
>>>
>>> The Johnsons have allways treated me well, service - wise and I know
>>> what Richard and his family look like. If I need to expand my Kamado
>>> fleet, I will undoubtedly buy from them as opposed to somebody who
>>> ripped off his moulds and ideas and spends time bad mouthing the
>>> Kamado Company.
>>>
>>> I would also rather support the Mexican Economy that one from a
>>> country that my Government is warning me not to travel to.
>>>
>>> A Pox on all their houses!
>>>
>>> Harry
>>> [rant over and normal programming will resume]

>> Errr...how do you REALLY feel, Harry? I don't think the sugar coating was
>> at all necessary; we're all grownups here. :P
>>
>> Jack
>>

> You know me, Jack - Moderation is my middle name . . . .
>
> Harry

There is always two sides to any story... From their website.. They are
building a better BBQ.. I challenge anyone to tell me what how Richard's is
better.. It's not. When I convince the wife I going to buy one, if only for
the self opening feature and the lack of high maintenance straps.
Harry you and Lasergecko are so pathetically enamored with Kamado with all
their flaws that next you'll be telling people the roll on water!

From conception these two were designed, engineered and built with the finest
materials incorporating innovative, common sense design improvements which
make them the most user friendly, thoughtfully designed BBQs available.

My name is Dennis Linkletter, for 15 years now I¹ve been designing and
building teak furniture and flooring in Surabaya, Indonesia and exporting it
to my store in Los Angeles. An American lawyer contacted me about a client
who had hired him for protection from an angry vendor who was owed a large
sum of money from a business venture gone badly. This client had been
manufacturing a tiled cement BBQ in Surabaya for a few years. The day before
the scheduled meeting, he went to the factory, grabbed his molds, broke the
units being built and got on a plane to the States. My lawyer of course was
not happy about being duped. (Names and contact information available ;-)

I was contacted and asked to meet the manager of the abandoned factory who
was left high and dry with unpaid bills as well as a crew of workers who if
terminated, needed to be compensated. After hearing their story, I did some
research on the internet about the products they were building, to my
surprise the products had an immense following and customer loyalty in spite
of the infamous, horrendous customer service given by this company. It
waswell documented in their forum and in newsgroups, how customers would not
be given even basic customer service and were routinely ³misled² about when
their units would be delivered, which would routinely be months late. What
gives? Why would anybody put up with this? I discovered that many companies
were successfully selling these Kamado style/egg shaped BBQs and their
customers were passionate about them also.

When I looked at a completed unit at a local hotel, I found it was very
poorly designed with unfinished, exposed rusting steel bolts and components.
It had a crude band that was not only unattractive but needed regular
maintance to stay adjusted and keep a seal. I heard and saw that the body
was cast using Portland cement mixed with some type of secret imported
lightweight stone, and that the owner routinely stepped over dollar to pick
up pennies and was ³all about the money.²

As the product was poorly designed and engineered, I saw a great business
opportunity. I knew I could design and build a much better BBQ. I hired the
talented, abandoned crew of artisans and got to work. I was very lucky to be
able to start with a crew who had experience from building hundreds of units.

I realized that the body¹s material was of utmost importance. After
researching materials designed for high temperate applications, I was told
about Harbison Walker, the worlds industry leader in refractory products and
services for high-temperature applications in the energy, chemicals,
non-ferrous metals, glass, iron and steel. Their engineers designed,
engineered and developed both materials and the manufacturing process of to
build the ultimate BBQ. The final product was a two-layer sandwich of a
dense inner layer and a lightweight outer insulating layer. The inside
material was designed to withstand temperatures of 2,200ºC that¹s 3990ºF or
570% hotter than maximum cooking temperatures! Only possible in a RBBQ,
that¹s a refractory BBQŠ

After testing we found that with little fuel, it achieved cooking
temperatures very quickly and was easy to both stabilize and adjust the
temperature. Over built to last more than a few lifetimes.

The next problem to solve was how to open and close the unit. Common sense
and outside the box thinking led to a solution that is completely unique in
the business, a self-opening unit. I believe it¹s easier to pull down a
heavy top than to pull it open. So I set out to build an incredibly strong,
spring-loaded stainless steel hinge. I also made the spring¹s tension, user
adjustable. I can¹t imagine anyone wanting to manually open a hot BBQŠ

We are now testing a RBBQ with a revolutionary new shape.
As it¹s design is Outside the Box, we¹re calling it our OTB 22².
Check back with us to see the developments with this project.

I am committed to building the finest quality refractory available at any
price. I will replace any komodo or part that fails due to workmanship or
material failure for as long as you own your Komodo RBBQ.

Of course the original builder is working overtime to discredit us with
stories of asbestos and dangerous exploding BBQsŠ Go figure..
Our reputation will spread, the public will discover us...
This is an example of why the free market economy will prevail...
People do have a new choice... the best product will prevailŠ
Komodo Kamado Refractory is that product.